Hey br/o/s, I need some advice. My insurance company just notified me that, since I am under 25...

Hey br/o/s, I need some advice. My insurance company just notified me that, since I am under 25, they will stop insuring my motorcycle until I buy a car.

As a result I've found myself in a shitty situation, but I have $4100 to blow on a car. I found a Chevy Cobalt SS for $3000 at a dealership, and I absolutely love the car in every way. Looks, sound, feel, etc. The catch? I test drove it, and it has issues idling (revs up/down constantly, stalls itself), and the check engine light is on. I ran a diagnostics and it threw 8 codes, all of which point to the issue being either the O2 sensor or the supercharger. If it's the supercharger I can't afford to fix the car unless he drops the price (would likely fix myself), but if it's an O2 sensor issue that's am affordable fix.

What do you guys think? They already agreed, but would it be worth the $80+ fee to have a mechanic look at it or should I find another car? I absolutely love it but it's a hard decision...

>My insurance company just notified me that, since I am under 25, they will stop insuring my motorcycle until I buy a car.
Find a new insurance company.

Are you retarded?

Find something else.

>all of which point to the issue being either the O2 sensor
O2 sensor codes say most likely you have a vacuum leak or a fuel pump issue. One is really cheap to fix, the other can be a bitch and a half. Don't be an idiot about this.

Either find a good insurance company or buy some POS there, I bought a car, happy now, fgt?

Or get a matchbox car and register it for lulz

It's the o2 sensor. Those superchargers do not break unless they've somehow blown a bearing. It's an Eaton M62 so you can find them pretty cheap. You can find a used one for around $700 if you absolutely needed to, but I honestly don't think that's what's wrong.
Tell them to replace the o2 sensor and clear the codes or you'll walk. There's plenty of other cars available.

If you're dead-set on an LSJ car, look for a Saturn Ion Redline as well. Same engine, slightly softer suspension, more practical 4 door layout (rear doors are suicide style)

If it's an O2 sensor it could be a good car though.

>I'm under 25
Im under my parents plan, anything else wouldn't be affordable.

Okay user, I may take it to a mechanic then and get it checked out. My only worry is being down over a hundred bucks if something more serious is wrong with it. And the issue with the throttle body worries me.

I think it may be worth the money

>My insurance company just notified me that, since I am under 25, they will stop insuring my motorcycle until I buy a car.

What name is this insurance company. I called the 24 hour service line of my company when I saw your post and they told me that they have no such rule.

Time for you to get a different insurance company. Buying a car means expensive annual insurance in addition to the bike AND you have to pay for license, registration, tabs, and bi-annual emissions inspections if your state requires that.

>Im under my parents plan, anything else wouldn't be affordable.
What the fuck are you trying to insure?

>inspections
What are these like?

>they will stop insuring my motorcycle until I buy a car
>$4100 to blow on a car
honestly senpai if the main concern here is the motorcycle then just buy a used shitbox for $1500 to only use like twice a week, and pocket the rest of the money. why spend so much on a car you're barely gonna use?

also 2-door chevy cobalts tend to pay pretty high insurance because they're ridiculously unsafe.
not that safety is a huge concern here, but if you're under your parents' insurance company (and assuming they don't make you pay for it) you should try to be considerate and get something that's easier to insure.

honda civic

I pay for it, no worries. I assumed it'd be expensive anyway because it's a supercharged coup.

It's called Shelter insurance. The motorcycle insurance is actually very affordable since I only have liability (only costs $8/mo).

The main concern isn't the bike, I'd be very happy to have a car because it's over a hundred degrees every day where I am right now, so AC will be nice. I want a decent car, I just have bothered up until now since I'm being forced to get one because my bike has worked just fine for me.

honestly sounds like the car is going bad. How many miles? the supercharger should be good till 150,000 at least but its possible your throttle body is going along with o2 sensors. You probably also have a broken flex on your downpipes because thats the main thing that goes wrong consistently on these cars. Go to ZZP for parts if you buy it but id say look for a less problematic one. 400o grand should be able to find you one in better shape. I got my redline with 78,000 miles and no problems for 6k about 2 years ago

>inspections
>What are these like?
Emissions inspections occur once every 2 years. They are required before you can renew the tabs for that year. For new cars, they simply connect an OBD2 reader, stick a metal wand to sample gases about a foot and a half into your exhaust pipe. Your car's computer and sensors does the rest. For older cars, they may put it on the dyno, but that is done only if that model car can be modded to try to fool the testing.

Newer cars are apparently hard to make fool their computer check. So they usually don't get a dyno test. They just sample the exhaust gases to make sure you have sufficient combustion gases created as well as being within the limits of noxious polluting gases. If certain gas concentrations are not high enough, then that can trigger an inspection of the car to see if you cut the cat out or have clean air injected into the exhaust to dilute the pollutant concentration.

For older cars, they put them on the dynamometer and hold the car at idle, then hold the car at 35 MPH. You are out of the car and only the technician is in the car to push the gas pedal. A sensor array is put on top of your hood to read the engine separately. The dyno measures speed, the sensor array also reads values, and the tech also looks at your speedometer. All should be comparable. If there is a bad meter reading such as the dyno says you are going 40 MPH but your speedometer says you are going 35MPH, then they will report the car since your odometer is wrong and reading far too low. Now, the DOT will get involved and be annoying because they are aware that some people do try to tamper with odometer values.

If you have a CEL (check engine light) on, then there is possibly something wrong with the emissions system. You will need to fix it. They are not wholly cruel. If you go on the last day of tabs for that month, you still have a grace period if you keep the emissions fail certificate with you (show it to cop)

>would rather spend 4 thousand fucking dollars on a car instead of opening up an insurance policy in his own name

sub 25 year olds really cannot expect to pay less than 250 per month

Where the fuck is this? I pay 100/month for full coverage on my car and my bike.
Is this Australia?

>I pay 100/month for full coverage on my car and my bike.

You live in an area that has both low false accident claims and low false injury claims and low accident rates. These three things are high on the claims list for those 25 and younger. You might say from your local news that teens are not always at fault, look at our local news from all the people rear ending the teenager. Teens also hit and run more often, so that reduces their reported rate in the news. But teens also are the ones that will shift the blame of their rear or side damage to someone else even if it means boldly lying.

I had a teen back up into me at a parking garage to get me to pay for his prior accidental damage. The guy in the rear is at fault unless it can otherwise be proven. Teens take advantage of that a lot. Insurance companies suspect it, but all they can do is otherwise jack up the rates if someone dishonest is involved even if their client is not at fault.

There should be a generous insurance discount for dashcam use

Agreed 150% and insurance companies would only make money from this change as well.

Could be a good car lmao, no CBSS is a good car plain and simple. Find something that isn't shit, like a focus svt.

Lol. What are you smoking?
I pay $33 a month.
2014 model, turbocharged, modified, under 25.

You have essentially no coverage and liability only with a rate that low.

automagic chevy cruze 1.4 turbo with a hot hot 136hp (141 with the cold air intake i swear bro)?

I'm 25 with progressive insurance in new jersey, I pay 80 bucks a month full coverage on an 89 5.0 and 40 bucks for liability only for my beater S10, and I had a DUI in '11. Also
>based nj no longer requires inspection for cars older than 1995

Get a lincoln towncar. Ez-pz

>insurance
Fucking cuck having fun with that 100+ bill per month?

It may not be the best car, but I like it. I don't care so much about what others think when it comes to looks, power, feel, etc. Since I'm the one driving it it's my opinion that really matters correct? There are definitely better cars out there, but I really like how the CBSS looks, sounds, and I enjoy driving it. There's also a lot I can do under the hood to improve it.