Am I supposed to be reading my tach?

I learned to drive stick on an F-150 with no tachometer, and as a result, I shift entirely on engine noise and intuition. Is this normal, or do most people pay attention to their tach when shifting/rev matching?

I still drive my civic with no tach by sound aswell. Its becomes second nature when jumping in any other vehicle.

>civic

My old truck had no tach, I shifted by sound/vibration and speed. I put together what speed my gears wound out at, and shifted near there. When it comes to Rev matching, my transmission was pretty God tier. Wouldn't let you in gear without clutch unless you were in correct Rev range. So I just had to blip the throttle til I was in range and it would slide right in.

dude that thing sounds fun.

you're not special faggot

lots of cars don't have tachometers

>my transmission was pretty God tier. Wouldn't let you in gear without clutch unless you were in correct Rev range.
sounds like a piece of shit

>wouldn't let you in gear without clutch
>without clutch
>without
>clutch

Nigger I was floating my gears.
Read: not using the clutch.

Because you haven't been to a third world country where the majority of cars don't have a tachometer (and are obviously manual)

So yes, even grandmas and soccer moms drive like this.

How do I shift by noise if I want to blast Eurobeat?

I can't really hear the engine much so...yes.

>Wouldn't let you in gear without clutch unless you were in correct Rev range. So I just had to blip the throttle til I was in range and it would slide right in.
So... like any manual transmission.

Also who the fuck pays attention to their tach while driving? Watch the fucking road you idiot. You know what your shift point sounds and feels like after the first 3 times you drive the car anyways.

I only glance at the tach if I'm trying to shift right at the red line. Luckily it's the gigantic gauge right in the middle.

I think I can configure the one next to it with a shift light, but I've never bothered.

Perfectly normal.

>tfw my car is so quiet I can barely hear it running half the time

I learned how to drive stick on my mazda and basically had to stare at the tach for the first 2 weeks. Now I literally never look at it anymore, I shift purely on feel and timing

Yes and any synchronized manual will not allow you to crash the gears because of the synchros - they all behave like you described. And floating gears in those transmissions ruins those synchros unless you get it exactly right every shift. Just double clutch if you want an elaborate shifting process.

Louder exhaust

Nobody really looks at the tacho when driving normally. I glance at it when I check my speed because I like to know how many rpm my car does at certain speeds in different gears.

I only use the tach because it looks cool

I just shift around valve float.

But really, chevy 383 with no gauges at all, so it's all by sound

>78 chev luv
>383 stroker
>th350 converted to manual
>header collectors into 3" black widow venom 300's with less than 2" of pipe between collector and muffler
>nothing after muffler

I just shift when everything begins rattling and I can't hear anything.

So why do my audi and 240 grind unless Rev matched perfectly, then?

Who the fuck looks at the tacho? Maybe when youre in a new car you didnt drive before but after 1 minutes you would never look at that

I learnt to drive in a car without a tach and every time I get in another car I almost never ever look at the tach