So in 2017 I'll be moving to Singapore as I have a fuck ton of clients in Malaysia

So in 2017 I'll be moving to Singapore as I have a fuck ton of clients in Malaysia.

I'm planning on going into the dense areas up north in Malaysia and I want an all-terrain vehicle that isn't a pickup.

I've been carefully looking at all my choices and I've finally condensed it down to two 2016 models.

Either the Mercedes G class or the Range rover sport. I've booked a test drive next weekend for the mercedes and one in 2 months for the range rover.

Anyone have any real experience with these guys?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3NlaOS3Vxrg?t=15m36s
youtube.com/watch?v=djws-Y6vKNk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Have fun getting carjacked

I would carjack you, OP. Buy a Hilux Surf.

I have a much larger chance being carjacked if I moved to America or the UK. Singapore is safe as fuck

Range Rover. Much better as a car, much better as an off-roader. G-class is for posers with more money than sense.

Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX

>Much better as a car, much better as an off-roader.
Nah nigga, shut the fuck up.

What are Malaysian inspection/emissions laws like?

>getting carjacked in the 3rd richest country in the world.

Theyd be after the lambos and ferraris instead of trying to carjack a fucking tank

I actually have no clue

I think you need to do some research, friend. Eternal happiness to you!

You're the nigga that needs to do research.

>Not getting the q80

The G wagon is used in multiple armmies around the world. Land Rover is for trophy wives.

Get the G wagon. Much larger aftermarket for it if there is something you need to modify, and even stock it's a solid off road vehicle.

>all these faggots implying the modern civilian G-wagen has anything at all to do with the military one

No, and that's a good thing.

not a good thing when you want an offroader tbqh famalam smdh

Get a LandCruiser you fucking dumbass

>n has anything at all to do with the military one
Yea, it totally doesn't share the frame and body with the 460 G-Wagen, didn't happen.

You're retarded.

They have a shitload of electronics that make them borderline unserviceable outside of a dealership

I'd get an older G wagon that's maintained well. There is a reason why the G wagon is used by more paramilitary groups than any other. It's a fricking beast and field servicable, amongst other things.

Maybe if you're retarded and poor.

Name them.

Also name the car with 3 locking differentials from the factory, standard.

Mercedes Mechanic here.

I don't know terribly much about the Range Rover Sport, but the G class uses a chassis that hasn't really changed for a couple of decades now. The frame is ridiculously tough... but it comes at a cost; it's ridiculously heavy.

If you remove the body from the vehicle it looks like a tractor. These bitches can take a fucking pounding. There's so much goddamn structure that they've reduced the alignment possibilities to Front Toe. That's it. Everything else is so goddamn secured they decided it needs no adjustment because there's no way in hell you'll bend it out of alignment.

It's designed to take punishment. Unfortunately, it will also cost you allot to repair cosmetically, because, lets face it, it's only the body that will get damaged even if you roll the fucker.

It's a tractor. No, it's a tractor that was meant to be a tank but someone changed their mind... then added a luxury interior...

and decades later in some board room at Mercedes the question was asked "Should we update the frame?" ... and that motherfucker was thrown out of the fucking window for being a fucking heretic because that thing is fucking indestructible god compared to other vehicles.

Mercedes Mechanic here again...

They both have the same frame, same engine.

The only thing the military variant had done is they stripped the interior, cut a hole in the roof, and removed the bumpers.

Underneath, everything is exactly the same.

Are you saying the electronics don't go bonkers like it happens to S class models?

Also what's your opinion on the G-class 4x42?

>implying they would leave the range rover out from when you valet it

youtu.be/3NlaOS3Vxrg?t=15m36s

lol, the S class is what we call the test bed.

All the newest electronics go on the S class first. You pay allot for the S class simply because it's ahead of the curve... and that comes at a cost : you're practically driving a prototype.

No, the G class doesn't have that issue. The systems in the G class are typically at least a year behind the S class.

Thanks, I laughed pretty hard at that.

You are welcome friend!

I haven't dug into one yet, so I don't have an opinion. I've heard they played with the chassis a bit... and that scares me.

>carjack someone
>get sentenced to 80 lashes and the death penalty

what about the E class, I mean, they aren't the best when it comes to electronics either

>electronically actuated diff locks
thanks but no thanks

g55 g63 is one of the most popular picks in kazakhstan. rides much better if you swap the stock 18s for 17s though.
I would personally get a pajero 3.8 or a prado 4.0. A bit wider, a bit slower but handling onroad is much better and cheaper to maintain + not afraid to punish them offroad.
The rr sport will fall apart in two years and lots of electronic problems. Most expensive maintenance. Worst option by far. Do not consider.

>30% poverty rate
It doesn't matter if a nation knows how play the system. There are poor people everywhere.
There is crime everywhere.
And the culture is a much more native and raw than the west.
Singapore is the kind of place that if you look gay a group of people will hack at you with machetes for 20 minutes and leave you to bleed to death in the street while everyone else just continues on.
Even the best non-western countries are not good places by our standards.

g55 weighs about as much as a prado, pajero or disco, in addition to having a larger engine.

Anyone who can afford a new G-wagen doesn't give 2 fucks about saving pennies doing it DIY dude.

That would actually improve it, but they're not going to ruin the profit margins on the G-class to make it better.

>ajero 3.8 or a prado 4.0.
How dare you compare the Pajero to the Prado?

I was cross shopping these for months. I ended up buying a Range Rover Sport. Here's my analysis:

RR feels better to drive. Better dynamics, handles significantly better, feels smaller (this is a good thing). G wagons are surprisingly uncomfortable on longer drives.

Off-roading capability is comparable. If you're doing serious off roading I'd take the sport over the g wagon because I'd be too worried about fucking up the side pipes.

Interior they are comparable, but the rear seat room is not as good as you would expect in the G wagon. It has more trunk space though.

Infotainment, Range Rover is slow and outdated compared to the Mercedes.

If you're shopping V8 RR vs G63, they're comparable power wise. If V8 RR vs base G550, Range Rover takes it by a landslide on driving and interior quality, and they're comparable off roading. The only reason I can think someone would buy a G-class over the RRS is because they just like the way it looks more.

Pic related, my Range Rover Sport SC Dynamic

what's wrong in comparing them? they're as direct competitors as they come

Pajero Sport is the Prado competitor.

>kazakhstan
Do you actually live there? Are you Borat?

Queer

Not getting the vogue

>being unibody would improve an offroader

Yes, that is what I said. Higher rigidity, lower weight. All good things in an off roader.

Plus you get the benefit of having to replace the whole car when you bend something!

Higher fragility too
besides flex is a good thing
hereby i confirm you've never done serious offroad in your life

Bend what?
>Higher fragility too
No.
>besides flex is a good thing
Huh? No it isn't.
>hereby i confirm you've never done serious offroad in your life
Ok.

Bend the body = bend the frame
If you don't mind completely changing your steering geometry every time your unibody off-roader comes down too hard, then fine, otherwise keep spare vehicles.

I don't understand exactly what lead you to believe that's something that occurs.

Tbh ignore these faggots. Get tasing door handles and youll be golden

>flex is bad for offroad
tip top kek

Because it can and does happen.
Unibody has its merits and downsides.

>Because it can and does happen.
It doesn't, it would have been a completely unsafe design for that to occur and that could happen with either type of construction.
>Unibody has its merits and downsides.
It's all upsides unless you require separation of the frame and body for some reason (like a semi tractor).

>It's all upsides unless you require separation of the frame and body for some reason (like a semi tractor).
It's all upsides unless you need to do the exact thing I'm referring to.

The thing that doesn't happen? Cool.

kek, stay in denial, kid

No need to call him a kid because he puts his unibody on a pedestal. Lots of adults can't handle when someone mentions a downside to their favorite things.

m8 just get a land cruiser or the rebadged lexus, it's a standard for shitholes and does its job well

get a landcruiser - 76, 78, 80 or 105

>same engine
no they don't lmao, mercedes literally ditched all their straight engines for the new gen and replaced them with better and more efficient V diesels and petrols

he's acting like one though
there's a reason why some of the best unibody offroaders (grand cherokees) have front and rear frames. A frame can handle higher torsional loads, it's easier to repair, isn't as vulnerable to rust, etc. The only downsides are extra weight and diminished handling and cornering abilities. You don't need those when offroading though.

Reminder that Malaysia is the best country to be an auto enthusiast in

youtube.com/watch?v=djws-Y6vKNk

?? That is the new Range Rover Sport (2014-on)

>not paying other people to fix your car for you

It's not denial. If you had any proof of that occurring, you'd share it. Of course, you don't.

are you seriously asking a question about a vehicle that is 100k+ base on a board where the majority of the people on here have a car older than 10 years old?

just because you've made bad decisions and are poor doesn't mean everyone else in this board is poor.

Buy a Toyota. Get either the Fortuner 4x4 or Prado.

Parts are easy to come by, lots of Toyota dealerships everywhere and if you dont have access to a service center your average mechanic knows how to service them.

Problem with the euro 4x4s really is that they arent suited to the sorts of abuse you will see in a 3rd world country, it also marks you as some sort of rich guy that people would like to rob. With toyota's you just blend in.

pajero sport is the hilux surf competitor

It's not, though.

pajero sport is an l200 wagon. l200 is direct competition to the hilux.
pajero is a mid-size suv, just like the prado. Same weight, roughly same engine sizes, roughly same price bracket (yeah toyota is always a bit more expensive).