/ovg/ - Turn Left Edition

Previous thread: Our Wiki should answer every single question you could possibly ask about sim racing and racing with us!
>get-good.net

We have a Mumble server, drop by and introduce yourself!
>Mumble IP: mumble.get-good.net
>Port: 64738

Join the /ovg/ group on Steam!
>steamcommunity.com/groups/ovgonsteam

Equipment Guide
>docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uLKMbKwweUZ3QvFeNs8UeycZbDyo0McxGj7T6uTaTNo/edit#gid=0

We're racing on Saturday, Sunday, and sometimes on Friday. Check out our Google doc for info!
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJsrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc

Other urls found in this thread:

espn.go.com/video/clip?id=17124435
pretendracecars.net/2015/09/26/technical-inaccuracies-plague-rfactor-2s-stock-cars/
moneysavingexpert.com/savings/pay-off-debts
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJsrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc/edit#gid=1534084112
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I hope Dale is OK

>8880
>:(

rbr a shit
dirt rally a shit
rally championship 2000 is objectively best rally sim

>implying something that old actually simulates anything with any detail

espn.go.com/video/clip?id=17124435

full length authentic stages

you can even trace the stages on google maps or follow them on street view for the most part, keeping in mind some things could have changed in 15 years

>Grand Prix series have less simulation value than Codemasters' F1 games

michael jackson simulation

>no laser scanning
>no dynamic track surface
>no tire sidewall bending
>no polygons
>no PBR rendering
>no realistic crash deformations
>no dynamic smoke and dust

W E W
E
W

WHO CARES lol shut up

Try Grand Prix Legends and then come back.

eat my ass larguu

I will punch your smug face

>>no laser scanning
don't think that's even practical on open roads
>>no dynamic track surface
neither have RBR or Dirt Rally
at least it's got mixed surfaces on stages, unlike RBR or Dirt Rally
>>no tire sidewall bending
>>no polygons
>>no PBR rendering
>>no realistic crash deformations
>>no dynamic smoke and dust
nigga it's a game from 1999 made to run on Pentium II's
they would if they could

You just got meme'd, kid.

rip /ovg/

>simulation question
>well, it simulates stages corners
awesome

>at least it's got mixed surfaces on stages, unlike RBR or Dirt Rally
have you even played DR

>they would if they could
well, i guess that makes it good game, then

YABBA DABBA DOO

SERIES WHEN

Some rocket league webms incoming.

>tire sidewall bending
I don't care if it's a meme, shits pretty cool for a game.

rFactor 2 needs a ton more content but the core physics and featureset is just so satisfying. I feel like a decade from now people will remember it as the sim that should've taken off but never did.

>the core physics

pretendracecars.net/2015/09/26/technical-inaccuracies-plague-rfactor-2s-stock-cars/

I remember the whole drama that surrounded that article where a bunch of sim oval guys and even a few people who have driven actual ovals came out and said 'no actually this is basically how it works', though I could be misremembering and thinking about some other article.

Nah you're right, actual oval drivers told ISI not to change it

moneysavingexpert.com/savings/pay-off-debts

Because after all, everyone has seen when a team misses the setup in qualifying and the driver just cranks the wheel and smokes the tires while four wheel drifting to run a decet lap time instead in real life.

>why is someone able to inefficiently use their tires for a very short period of time without instantly dying???

>why is someone not able to read or use any logical thought whatsoever
This is the part where you imply real life racers just aren't trying, right?

You're fucking retarded.

no, they're smart enough to realize that risking your car slamming into a wall and being out for a whole season isn't worth it just to make your qualifying lap be a sikk drift
if someone really wanted to do that in reality, they probably could for a very short period of time, it's just unnecessarily risky when you could do a qualifying lap properly instead

what kind of content would rF2 need to take off?

A GT3 mod with tons of cars?
An LMP car?
Or maybe oval racing content?

There is nothing difficult or risky about doing that stupid shit in rF2, you can do it 10 straight laps without issue.

You're talking about guys who will chop each other at 210mph over 2 points that don't even count without a thought, and you think they'd just qualify like shit at aero push tracks you can't pass because they're afraid of crashing?

Whatever bus rider.

I'd say it really just needs one fully complete racing series where you have all the locations you'd traditionally expect and all the cars available for official content, though honestly on the official side it's doing decent. The main struggle, as with anything that's not iRacing, is to get a mod scene that's truly lively. Will anything ever match rF1's sheer volume of mods? After all, people love racing tons of different cars, tracks and formats and official content will never cover everything.

rF2 needs a Hydrooo THUNDERRRR conversion

Because only the guys with shit cars push their tyres during qualifying!

Someone is inevitably going to tell me that setup counts in rF2 stock cars even though you can go flat around Charlotte with literally any retarded shit because muh tire wear.

I'll convert the boat mod so rF2 users can share the joy of having their race laps only count after 5 minutes

t. retard who didnt listen to SJ

Any bagel store management games that have a sim racing element?

are there bagel store management games at all?

You go faster with a proper setup.

Good luck doing 1 lap like that around Charlotte with the low downforce package.

Feel free to post your NASCAR license at any time Mr.Autism

Maybe a bagel store management aspect is what rF2 needs to really take off

>Good luck doing 1 lap like that around Charlotte with the low downforce package.
Oh hey if I talk about a completely different car then I can disregard all arguments I don't like too.

I'd certainly play rF2 a lot more if I could cook baked goods and then hit up the local race tracks.

Actually what if there was something like Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon but with a racing element? Work in a store at day, dorifto at night with friends.

I play a level of Cook Serve Delicious then drive up and down Akina to pretend I'm delivering the food I just made

Just go away Mr."ginetta with a corvette engine is balanced because both are bopped"

>shit I'm losing, better try to call whoever I'm arguing with James over and over
In a thread where people are talking about bagels you are making the shittiest posts, congrats.

I never said that the idiot who said the quote above without a tinge of irony was James

Way to out yourself retard

take my anal virginity, please.

>expecting everyone to remember every bit of your shitshow mumblr drama in detail

>not caring about internet manchildren antics is retarded

Look whos talking

Hey nerd.

Shut the fuck up, shut the fuck up before I crush your dweeby bean sprout neck effortlessly with a single hand.

The only people I remember defending the physics was the shitty modder that made them and shitters like EmptyMeme that decided it was right because you could run flat laps with iRacing fixed setup's that build. If they were good people would actually be playing rF2 instead of bringing up NR2003 and ASRX..

Say that to my face and not online and see what happens fucker

hehehe im back boyz....

You guys microwave coneys for a snack before the races? Cause I do.

I do. They taste better with the water from my toilet than the water from the sink

>used to lurk /ovg/
>leave because it's all bullshit drama
>come back after like a year or two
>still no bus racing series

/ovg/ a shit still, it seems.

Honestly, only been here for like 10 years. But imo, ovg is cool.

No one on /r/sim-racing would accept me for eating a microwaved Coney.

But on /ovg/, everyone's cool with it.

I love /ovg/.

thanks you!!

I appreciate /ovg/. You're all cool.

>Good luck doing 1 lap like that around Charlotte with the low downforce package.

The video in the link at the start of the chain is literally somebody doing exactly that.

Rf2 forces the high downforce package at mountain peak even if you pick the low downforce one in the garage

i miss Veeky Forums SA-MP lobbies

You can go flat around Charlotte in real life with the 2014 high DF package they ran. If you go back and watch Qualls at Charlotte from 2014, the drivers are doing exactly that.

They didn't do it in race trim because the tires would only last like 10 laps.

Rf1 had a simpler physics simulation that was good enough to get realistic results but was still easy to understand for the average person. Ultrachassis is a WAY deeper and more dynamic way of simulating race car physics, but also requires way more data and is more complex to figure out.

Though that doesn't excuse the lack of mods. You can run rf1 type physics in rf2 just fine.

I think if they managed to get the licenses for 4 or 5 GT3 cars they might be able to spark enough interest to get the mod thing rolling, the problem is the licenses for that shit is expensive and I don't think rF2 has sold nearly well enough for ISI to afford that.

is that thing at all fun to drive?

Too bad rF2 has the 2015 tapered spacer package then.

Anyways yes, a properly set up car doing a qualifying lap without lifting has not been unusual in the last couple years. In rF2 you can have a terribly set up car in race trim and do several laps without lifting while not even using all the track because turning the wheel further just makes the car just drift like an arcade game.

The bigger problem is they work so fucking slow they'd never have 4 GT cars on the same physics standard at once.

>environment is a not part of simulation
>tarmac+slippery tarmac are totally different surfaces
>it's not a sim if it's old

>because turning the wheel further just makes the car just drift like an arcade game.
t. sandwich artist who has played rf2 and knows this is wrong but is pretending its not.

t. autist who has never driven a real car let alone a quality sim one and is trying to talk about things he doesn't understand.

Also if you think I am embarrassed of my occupation I am not. At the end of the day I am racing real cars at real tracks and you are complaining about shitty mods in a decade old game.

the default setup is pretty good. and you can only do the flat out thing during the race for 5-10 laps tops, your tyres are toast afterwards and people who were saving up will eat you alive

>tyres

m8 you got some weaponry you haven't told us about?

i dindu nuffin officer

Blimey!

RACIST PIG

>In rF2 you can have a terribly set up car in race trim and do several laps without lifting while not even using all the track because turning the wheel further just makes the car just drift like an arcade game.

Wow look at all this untrue shit.

You can go flat around Charlotte ONLY if you don't fuck with the default setup too much. If you intentionally fuck the setup to make it ugly and extreme, the car does behave accordingly (i.e. its fucking uncontrollable). And you can only "drift" these cars insomuch as you might get lucky when the ass end comes out and the car doesn't snap around. You can't hold a drift like Initial D or some shit.

How about you go actually run the track and the car before you decide its all crap.

I forgot to repost the Hotter Version stuff from the previous thread.

>Street cars only
>No semis/lorries, monster trucks, busses etc
>Max HP at 600
>Cars with up to 349hp can use semislicks
>Cars with up to 499hp depending on the weight and drivetrain can use semis or streets
>Cars with 500hp or more are restricted to streets only.
>Vanity cars i.e. Andi's V12 twin turbo 300 sel w/ 1400hp are allowed for fun
>Modded cars allowed
>In house tuned cars allowed
>Stock content stays untouched
>DLC content allowed
>Mountain roads and small configuration GPs tracks, with a finale at nordschleife.

It seems like people wan to go with sunday after all, so I guess if it ever takes off, it will be sunday 20:00.

I'm gonna go make a doc now.

I never played those servers much, what was good about them? FYI I'm working on a racing themed server for the game/mod

can we do Vallelunga Club?

We did it last time, but I'll think about it. I'm open to suggestions about tracks.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1R3KWTJsrlS9X2EZUNXY8KbHfsHD-t3_EU_A1n6wBBQc/edit#gid=1534084112

There you go. Wiki page should be up later or tomorrow. I won't go as crazy as I did last time with the testing, so be fair. Car submissions end at saturday 00:00 utc.

I'm gonna go find a decent car now, and by that I mean the good ol' audi.

literally why

idk, zero smells like piss

I would sit in those stands.

Blood1 Appreciation Corner

Because only bad drivers cut the apex. :)

>cut
you can't even hit the apex with those things there

I appreciate blood 1 in every corner