Modern car after one mid west winter

>modern car after one mid west winter
Do they engineer more aggressive salt? This should be illegal

Looks fine to me.

All just surface shit because they can't coat and galvanize things like they used to be able to.

Thanks EPA.

>this is considered fine
What the fuck
maybe its because im from the south but I own 90s cars with stock parts that look nothing like

>from the south

Yep. That's why.

Winter is a hell of a drug

winters are nice

20 year old southern car. Jelly northfags?

That doesn't mean salting the roads like this is ok

did the whole brake caliper rust away?

Slightly jelly, but if a car is treated with dinitrol or tectyle or whatever, it will last just as long. Also rust on suspension, driveshafts, etc, is not an issue. Only the body of the car needs to be protected.

But yeah, it would be nice to be able to park the car for 3 months and not needing a brake change.

I prefer the salt to not having salt.

Snow is no problem.

Ice is a huge problem. I always fucking hate how much salt there is on the roads, until I am driving on a road that hasn't been right after a big ice storm. Pic related is what I drive too.

I'd rather have some surface rust on bolt than to be asspacked on a weekly basis.

It saves lives, just wash your shit every week and you're fine enough.

I guess you can say that b ecause you're in the stop bullying STI but I dont have AWD and guess what that means I will never have a good car because no AWD and no RWD means its a shitty FWD and id rather die because of iced roads then drive this car

They have, actually. If you see trucks spraying liquid down on the roads before bad weather, they're putting down either Calcium Chloride or Magnesium Chloride. You can tell if a road's been treated because you'll see stripes from the spray.

Calcium Chloride and Magnesium Chloride are corrosive in liquid form. When you drive on treated roads after a storm, your car is bathed in a mixture of snow, water, and the chloride that was put on the road. This chloride contributes to the white residue you'll see on the sides of your car.

If you don't wash your car often during the winter with a high-pressure spray, that chloride will sit in all the nooks and crannys of your car, reactivating every time it gets wet and chewing away at your car. I wash my car every 2-4 weeks during the winter to help counter this - and I wash it as soon as the roads are clear and dry after a storm.

I've seen people (especially on the Interstate) ride the ass of these deicing trucks and their whole vehicle is coated in the white spray from the truck. You might as well just drive it into a lake at that point - it'd do less damage.

I've talked to lawyer friends about a possible class-action filing against the state due to the amount of damage this spray causes - I was told that I'd have to be able to prove the state used the spray with "malicious intent". I'm sure they'd be able to weasel out of it so it'd be a whole bunch of effort and expense for nothing.

You need a fucking T-55 to handle really icy roads. AWD, FWD, RWD, doesn't matter what you have. One is just slightly better than the other, but all are shit.

>I would rather have hundreds of people driving on icy roads crashing into me and exponentially increasing crash risk than have road salt
I don't get the hate. It's put down for a reason. If you're scared of it then cover your car in rust-prevention shit or just get a shitbox for winter.

is right. Ice doesn't give a single figurative fuck how many wheels are powered.

Only thing that gives me the edge is that if I start to get stuck, I know for a fact other people are having a problem.

Also, snow tires. AWD is useless without them.

>tfw you live in south louisiana

I can count the times i've seen snow down here on one hand, and I'm 23.

The heat does suck tho. Last night (or this morning if you want to be an ass) was driving at about 1:30am and it was 82°F and 98% humidity

Some states use a combination of sanding the roads and proper driver education, instead of coating the roads with salt and corrosive sprays so that the lowest common denominator will still be able to do 70 down the road while trying to catch Pokemon and not have to worry about actually knowing how to drive in slippery conditions.

Crazy concept, I know.

AWD and studded tires gives no fuck about ice.

>live in the midwest
>get lake effect snow
>try to explain my to my dad that snow tires are a must and that all-seasons are garbage
>try to explain to him that he needs to wash his car more than once a year
>mfw his fucking sonata is already rusting because he's a cheap fuck who literally does not wash his car
>mfw I drive behind him and he's slipping and sliding all over the place

I don't understand how people can live here and not own winter tires. It should be fucking illegal.

They sand where I live as well as salt.
The salt is very much needed on certain roads.

A few people died on a 35mph road that went from grippy to iced over in a matter of minutes.

Driver education is GREAT in theory.. but as a rule of thumb people are fucking retarded and need to be babied.

Driver education is a joke. There's nothing you can tell people to make them capable of controlling an unexpected slide.

And it doesn't matter how good of a driver you are- an icy road has less traction (and therefore significantly more danger) than a dry road.
>muh rust
doesn't compare to
>muh life
>muh chilluns
I want you to understand the gravity of that.

I live in Wisconsin, and get the worst of both worlds.
>Thursday was 91F and 90% humidity
>On January 17th it was -10F with a -28F windchill
I want to die

Personal responsibility.

If you can't be arsed to drive more carefully and to practice safe driving techniques in order to protect your life and the lives of those you care about then you deserve the consequences of your negligence.

>"Won't someone please think of the children!" argument
Weak bait.

>people are fucking retarded and need to be babied

No. No they fucking don't. They won't stop being retarded if they keep getting babied.

They'll either get gud or they'll leave the gene pool.

Is knowing that the shit destroys cars not "malicious intent"?

There otta be a law!!!!
Stop being a fag and don't use the roads or get a beater.

knowing thousands of people die on icy roads yet refusing to ice them is "malicious intent."

There is not a jury in the world which would make a conviction for salting a road in the winter.

No matter how good of a driver you are or how careful you are, an icy road is still more dangerous than a dry road.

>Personal responsibility.
Civil responsibility.
If you can't be arsed to clean up the roads and other infrastructure to be fit for use by the general public then you don't deserve to manage any public works.

Also doesn't matter if >"muh chilluns" is bait. It is an argument used time and time again and is effective against the general public.

>Looks fine to me.
It's not. It's purely the result of road salting, a practice that should be illegal.

MNfag here can confirm, a-at least that heat wave is over

SC user here, 95F and 102% humidity

Straya here u call that rust free? Hahahhah

I'm roadtripping down to Virginia and through SC, Miami bound next week, how are the roads down there?

Should be fine if you stick to I-95, can't speak for some of the others.

>people are fucking retarded and need to be babied.

People are fucking retarded and need to have their licenses pulled and replaced with transit passes. The roads would be safer places if we could just take the bottom 10% and tell them 'Nope' when they demonstrate an inability to drive.

>Ice is a huge problem

Not really. Get good.

DEJA VU

they have a i 95 where you live too?

>Civil responsibility

Exactly. We have a civil responsibility to educate our drivers better.

Also, sand and plows worked (with bias ply snow tires!) for a long time before we started dumping fucktons of salt and chemicals on the road. Why? Because people took personal responsibility. If the roads were too bad to drive, they'd stay home. They wouldn't insist on driving there anyways because fuck Mother Nature and her 10 million tons of white frozen bullshit, I gotta go do whatever the fuck it is I gotta do and that's that.

no shit Sherlock, wet roads are more dangerous than dry roads too. That's why you modify your driving style to suit the road conditions - something nobody fucking does anymore.

If I had $10 for every time I've been passed on the Interstate by a 4WD doing 10 over the limit in a blizzard just to find them buried in the fucking ditch a few miles down the road, I could buy a used S2000.

Except that idiots slide into you when they fuck up. Either get a winter beater or wash your car more than twice a year and then stop bitching.

Underseal that shit and stop complaining you faggot.
All you need is a can of waxoyl, an air compressor, and a schutz gun.

And an uncanny ability to find absolutely every last nook and cranny in the entire car. Salt finds a way, and you must be willing to do the same. Or to pay someone else for the pleasure.
P.S. Rubber undercoating is the devil's work, and you're a faggot if you use it.

>modern rotor after five winters in norway

>living anywhere that has snow
feels good to be californian

>Some states use a combination of sanding the roads

They use mostly sand here mixed with just a small amount of salt and calcium chloride. This keeps the slush stay slushy from the heat of cars churning the sand. Immediately after the snow melts, they are out there with sweeper trucks and those vacuum things to suck up all the sand for recycling. After some filtering of debris, it goes back to storage piles to await the next time the sand is needed.

The city put out a public relations article in the newspaper about the mixture. They said the sand provides friction as well as helps the slush stay melted. The amount of salt and deicing chemicals is not a fixed amount. It is calculated based upon the expected temperatures so that not too much of the chemicals are used.

>living anywhere with a democratic majority
I'd rather live in a hole carved into a glacier.

>Personal responsibility.
I'm stuck at the traffic light at the bottom of the hill. I am in front. The traffic light has a stop light camera so that is why I didn't run the red light. There is a no right turn on red sign too.

I dread those times and fear some car will slide down the hill and bump me. They then come to a stop in the melted patch of pavement while I was shoved into the traffic moving by. Naturally they will say they didn't hit me. Because that is how 75% of the people are (or 99% if teenager).

>he doesn't have a 4x4 winter truck
>he only had one car to drive year round

Is there people this poor irl

>I dread those times and fear some car will slide down the hill and bump me
Uh, watch out and move.

>damage to the back of your car
>damage to the front of their car
>red light camera taking picture of impact
>"I didn't hit user's car, officer!"

Weak bait.

>muh salt increases safety
>rust weakens the structure of a car and can cause dangerous structural failures

Choose your poison.

I see you also bought that from HF.

True story, last winter I pulled a slammed WRX out of an alley cause he got stuck. Retard was on all season tires.

>he thinks he needs 4x4 in the winter

Is that an All Trac?

>needing 4x4 in your winter truck

get good you fucking scrub

cali has snow you pleb

Waxoyl isn't rubber, Cunt.

>awd and winter arguments
Christ it's July in the midst of some rare super heatwave dome magic and we are already going to begin this shit?

Yes OP winter salt wrecks cars but not having it would be a worse thing for you given how the average pleb drives.
>tfw drive Subaru outback
Thanks Veeky Forums for suggesting Michelin x-ice3.

>but not having it would be a worse thing for you
It wouldn't.

not where i live fag. only in the sierra nevda mountain borders does it have snow or bear valley
>democratic majority
you mean republican majority?

>always votes blue in presidential elections
>republican majority

MULTI TRACK DRIFTING