Panther Thread

Let's talk about Crown Vics, Grand Marquis, Town Cars, Colony Parks, ect.

I have a first gen Town Car that I'd like to make into a decent handling car that could kick ass around a track. (I have my heart set on this exact body style so don't tell me to get a turdgen or Miata or whatever) First I want to improve the suspension; what bits from '03+ CVPI's (or aftermarket parts) will be compatible? Will any Mustang suspension parts work? Not a whole lot of TC performance parts come up in Google so I'm wondering what compatible parts for other vehicles I could look for.

Mustang II front end, Welds in place and the entire kit can be had for $1300

Thank you, will a newer Mustang front end be more difficult to install?

Most likely. Why not just get stiffer everything? Polyurethane bushings, stiffer springs and shocks... That'll most def improve handling.

A bigger sway bar will help too.

The only way to truly fix the handling on an old Panther (short of a shit-ton of custom fabrication and frame reinforcement) is to get an 03+ frame and drop the body onto it. As long as the wheelbase is the same it's a lot simpler than it sounds, and you'll get a much improved suspension out of it. I think 12 of the 14 body-to-frame bolts match up on almost all years.

Failing that, finding a Kenny Brown Crown Vic with custom frame reinforcements that could be pulled out and used on your own vehicle is an option, or just have some custom cross-bracing made and installed.

The wheelbase is about 3 inches shorter IIRC. Will the springs, shocks, sway bars, ect not fit on the old chassis? I'd like handling to be a bit better than a stock CVPI

What springs, shocks, and sway bars will fit?

First gen town car

Anyone have experience with specifically the interceptor crown vics?

what were they thinking when they made cars that looked like this?

They were thinking awesomely

If you really wanted too, you could do a 03+ chassis swap (you'd have to use a donor 03+ town car) Sky is the limit

If you wanted to make the most of what you have, PI sway bars all around, PI springs and shocks would make a night and day improvement.

Even further would be speedway springs, addco bars and afco shocks.

I mean honestly, what is your end goal?

I believe we have spoken before, im owner of that '89 Town Car

Will PI sway bars and shocks and springs fit?
I'd like something that could take the touge respectably

Seeing as that's my pic, probably.

Yes, you might need to drill the rearmost hole in the lower control arms to make the rear bar fit, front is a straight swap.

PI lower rear control arms are actually a little bit thicker than sedan arms, see if you can find a pair. Not a huge improvement, but never hurts.

PI spec KYB gas adjust, PI spec springs (or similar) and PI bars will help a lot) I keep a few sets stocked just incase.

Honestly, I've left my towncar bone stock. I enjoy it's terrible handling.

Why P71 parts and not Grand Marquis Handling/Performance Pack parts? I thought the HPP cars were set up to handle better than the P71s whose special parts were mostly just more durable versions of the standard shit.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to sleep now

HPP didn't even come out till 93?

And no, a p71 will out handle a HPP/ LX Sport/LSE anyday.

With that said, I'd take a HPP/LX sport/ LSE over a old vomit comet anyday if we were talking 03+

Speaking back in box terms, there was a "handling package" that added a puny rear sway bar, but the PI bar is much better. Addco does make a "79-91" rear bar, but it mounts like shit, and is honestly worse then the factory PI box rear bar.

Can I play?
Basically the Australian equivalent of a Town Car. Even shared design ques

where si the front of your car

Yes

No.
Panther platform only

thats amazing idea dude you got my support

I never realized how BIG they are until I drove one.

is that a caprice wagon back there?

I see a disturbing lack of Hongqi CA7460's in this thread.

I just bought pic related. 30k miles with a 302

Looks mint as fuck, even the dashpad is uncracked, garage kept for sure.

I've got to put my 87 back together one of these days, I hasn't driven it in 5 years now

noice

Ay sweet a twin. Any problems I should be looking out for? This is my first ford after many Chevys so everything ford is new to me

What year is it?

Ok, 86 actually has a few 1 year only parts that are actually good.

on 87-91 SEFI panthers, there's a stupid plastic grommet on the end of the TV cable where it attaches to the throttle body, over time it disintegrates and the cable falls out. When this happens, the line pressure drops to zero and you'll burn up the direct clutch pack very quickly. The fix is to buy the newer copper style.

86 was the first year of SEFI, and they used a 1 year only rod instead, and if it were to fail, the trans actually defaults to full line pressure instead. the 86 setup never seems to go bad though. Pointless trivia.

If it's all original the stock cork valve covers gaskets have probably gone to shit. Get the felpro perma drys if you replace them. Expensive, but they are rubber, reusable, and never go bad.

Same thing with the lower intake gasket, the front and back seals are cork and over time will leak.

If you tune it up, run copper motorcraft plugs. They like these the best. A good quality dist. cap with brass terminals and good quality plug wires.

Do the PCV trio. The PCV valve, grommet and screen. Back of the engine in the lower intake, you have to kinda lay on the upper intake to get to it. There's an internal mesh screen in there which over time clogs up and causes the crankcase pressure to get higher than normal. A long wood screw or lag bolt and some pliers will pop it out.

Make sure the vacuum line to the MAP isn't squishy or cracked. At this point all the vacuum lines could probably use replacing.

Pretty much just your typical 30 year old car stuff.

On the interior, spray the rear panels in the back with some 303, they love to dry out and get all nasty. Same thing with the dash pad.

Box panthers are pretty simple. Nice reliable SBF, the AOD gets some hate but if you take care of it it's fine, nice 8.8 out back. They are easy to work on and parts are dirt cheap.

What are your plans for it?

>my winter beater wagon

Wow lots of good info. I'm thinking of putting 3.55 or 3.73 cause it's got od rather than a 3 speed. It is all original, even the spare is from 1986, so I'll definitely be changing out some gaskets and hoses but overall runs good. It's just going to be my surf wagon till the wheels fall off or I get bored, Whatever happens first.

See if you can find a "K" code. They came on tow package cars, 3.55's and a trac-lok

Where would I find that code? I know mine has the trailer hitch though

On the door jam sticker. I don't see a pass side exhaust pipe so it's not a tow package car.

Axle codes
Open/Lock/Ratio #
-----------------------
G / H / 2.26
B / C / 2.47
8 / M / 2.73
7 / - / 3.07
Y / Z / 3.08
4 / D / 3.42
F / R / 3.45
5 / E / 3.27
6 / W / 3.73
2 / K / 3.55
A / - / 3.63
J / - / 3.85

Don't they all have pass side exhaust? And thanks for the codes I'll check it out when I get home

Your right, meant to say drivers side. Easy way to spot tow package cars is dual exhaust.

>tfw europoor
>tfw the only "landbarges" here (mostly old jags, but they're nowhere near real 'murican barges) cost a fucking arm

I thought euros hated landbarges. Euroanon, have you fell into the comfy meme?

They're just closet jelly of the comfy. They're sad they can't get a gas guzzlin freedomobile

come home, white man.

Burgers and landbarges await

Very nice!

>on 87-91 SEFI panthers, there's a stupid plastic grommet on the end of the TV cable where it attaches to the throttle body, over time it disintegrates and the cable falls out. When this happens, the line pressure drops to zero and you'll burn up the direct clutch pack very quickly. The fix is to buy the newer copper style.

THIS, ABSOLUTELY THIS

on my 89 Grand Marquis, the plastic grommet became so weak that it broke while I was driving (yeah I didn't replace it when I got it, and I got screwed for it like 3 years later). All of a sudden I heard my engine rev like a sonovabitch (I was doing about 35 mph when it broke) and smelled something burning. I pulled over, looked at it, and saw the cable was backed up near the firewall. I was able to limp home and had to get new parts. Luckily, I had friends in the area who were able to help me without getting ripped off.

Pic related, my car

Yes

Has anyone done a 5 speed swap on a Town Car?

I've got a 94 with the modular and want to drop in a 351w with a T5, but there's not much info online about how I'd do it.

What were you putting the PI parts on?

B

You'll need 79-91 engine frame mounts. They are a direct bolt on on the frame.

You might need to slot the holes for the trans cross member, but you should be good.

Stock drive shaft should also work

For pedals just buy a set from Pier.

You'll need to modify/reinforce the firewall slightly for the firewall adjuster.

For the engine, just use a 351 oil pan for a 79-91 vic. Exhaust 351 swap fox stang headers fit good. You can run a fox body H pipe with some modifications to make it fit right, or have custom down pipes made.

Carb or EFI?

Run a girdle on the diff. These cars have really bad axle hop when you 5sp swap them. I'd strongly recommend poly bushings in the rear control arms.

Keep in mind a t5 doesn't enjoy too much power, or being in a 4k lbs car.

cool a fucking manual

Found it. I got 3.08s which isn't bad but still gunna want 3.55s. and my car was made in Canada

Sweet, thanks for the manual man.

I'be considered a C4 trans too. I'll probably go carbed since I'm not too savvy with the electrical systems.

If you choose to go auto, there's really no reason to run a C4 when AOD's exist.

$300?
fucking COMFY

michigan winters are fun

>bald all terrains

Get some decent snows

bald eagles, still did fairly well. have continental sports all round now.

what can you guys tell me about '04 Marquis?

got my eye on one

Arguably the best year.

Not that user, but why?

There seems to be a lot less info on per-year changes for GMs than on CVs.

Same as the CV. No 05+ DBW BS and no 03 soft axle issues

Anybody in the market for a 1997 4.6 2v engine, ecu and transmission? 96k on all.

Bought a wrecked car for an engine swap that didn't go as planned.

If that is a true story I'm mad jelly

You can always find dirt cheap clean box panthers. I paid $500 for this 55k tudor, guy was gonna demo it.

Granted, it was a good deal, but still, you can find clean box panthers for 1000-2000 all day, even in the rust belt nice clean Florida cars pop up all the time.