/ORG/

Welcome to Off Road General

who /weekendwheeled/ here ?
really getting a lot better at vehicle recovery
feels good

I dont often offroad since i got my dirt bike.
But when i do.
I get a flat tire.

Beadlocks are your friend amigo

>beadlocks on a DD
>implying the tire wouldnt have been punctured anyway.
Cmon dude

how does installing a steel bullbar affect the handling of a car? How noticeable is this? I know it fucks up the weight distribution. Most offroaders are front axle heavy so adding 50 kilos of bumper and another 40 of winch at the very tip of your car will definately increase understeer but is it noticeable?

Obviously not on a DD, I assumed you had meant on a semi-dedicated off-road vehicle. And looking at your pic (this), those tires look like they've been needing to be replaced for awhile now. Sweet bike though.

I have one on my truck, and it hasn't caused a noticeable difference. But it's a fairly simple one, so your mileage may vary

dont care much about mileage, i'm guessing it's mostly the drag. Although I'm sure 50-90 additional kilos will require beefier suspension.
my main concerns are fucking up the handling and a bit on pedestrian safety.

I have an ARB bullbar on my FJ and haven't really noticed any significant difference in handling. Then again, I do have a 6" lift so I'm not trying to weave in and out of traffic. The additional weight would likely make the front sag, but you could always get a leveling kit to correct that.

it will not effect your performance on the trail in any regard. i doubt youll notice it even at highway speeds unless youre looking for it specifically.

It actually makes mine handle and brake a little better since the front was so light before. Now the tires got better grip. But the original bumper I took off weighed about 50 pounds so the new one is only about an extra 50 pounds on top of stock. So it's not some massive difference.

Looking to get into the off road stuff soon, I'll be using my FF sedan doing simple shit until I can get in a better vehicle. Do prices for cars like wranglers, samurais, trackers, etc go down in the winter, or am I better off just buying something good that shows up now?

What car?

>Do prices for cars like wranglers, samurais, trackers, etc go down in the winter, or am I better off just buying something good that shows up now?
the opposite. they go up, depending on where you live though of course. if you get snow of any kind theyll go up since normies start to freak out and think they need 4x4 for a half inch of snow drifts

In deep south. no snow, just dry cold.

Cherokee are $600 all year until the last one rusts to bits.

Yea, but XJs are awful.

Bone stock '87 YJ. Thinking of doing two things to it:
1. Putting an Eaton E-Locker in the rear Dana 35
2. Puttting in sway bar quick disconnects

Other than that, I plan on keeping it as is. Thoughts?

Swap D44s and lock those.

If you are in the deep south then right before winter would be a good time to buy a vehicle with a removable top. People don't want to freeze their asses off. Otherwise just buy one that looks clean and is a fair price

You think I need a Dana 44 for that size of tire?

your dana 35s are fine if youre set on keeping the stock size tire dont listen to that faggot

although if it were me id be upgrading the axles/tires before adding a locker though just my opinion

No, just don't use axles with shitty C-clips like the D35. Use literally anything else.

My friends 1989 FJ62. Mostly stock with CUSTOM bumpers, 3in lift that's settled back down to stock ride height over time, mystery tires, front seats out of something else, speakers fucked with, some body lines are now missing from bondo, rebuilt auto transmission, 1 year old paint.
We mostly fuck around on dirt roads and on snowbanks in parking lots since there's fuck places to off road in Ontario if you're south of Sudbury.

What happens when you fuck around on dirt roads.
>$130 can of 7up

These Dana 35s don't have C-clips. '87-89 didn't have them.

I'm just keeping the pic related tires which are basically stock size. They're quality tires. Don't plan on lifting it or anything. The rear locker will be for increased capability and the sway bar quick disconnects would be for added articulation.

man i love 62s
fug

yeah i gotcha im just saying if youre going to spend money upgrading the truck youd be much better off upgrading the tires and/or axles than adding a rear locker.
a locked truck on 29s will get walked by an unlocked truck on 35s in most cases

His dads daily driver. They have a bunch of other Land Cruisers as well.

I hear you. This model of stock YJ came with the non c-clip Dana 35 and 4.10 gearing from the factory. The Jeep's a designated ranch vehicle that's been brought back to the city to do a little work/upgrading on it. It's not meant to be some crazy offroader, but rather a vehicle that'll get through anything the ranch can throw at it, which isn't too bad.

Yeah buy they're CHEAP and awful. The parts needed to make them not awful are plentiful in junkyards. A mere $300 yanks off the shitty D35 and replaces it with a Chryco 8.25" with driveshaft cut and balance included (must be from a 97 or later or its barely better at all).

Never mind then. Go ahead with your plan.

cool
sounds like a fun project man

reee

Will do, wasn't sure if anybody was going to throw in ARB over Eaton for the brand/style of locker, but I've read good things about Eaton and like not having to put in a compressor and air lines and shit.

It is. It was a great find. 82k original miles on it, no rust whatsoever. The vehicle's a blast to drive, even with the little 2.5L 4 banger in it.

Please post if you try and register that humvee, its hard to find solid info on the reg process on the internet.

Look at the windshield of that one, and this one. These have been owned for over 10 years.

>These have been owned for over 10 years.
I say that just so you know these aren't out of the batches they've been auctioning recently. I don't know what kinda restrictions they're putting on these, but I thought I remember they were selling them strictly for offroad use only. Not sure if anything's changed with that.

Yeah, I've seen some reg'd and plated in Texas before, just figured it was some Florida title shenanigans from before that loop was closed.

>waiting for money to get a Chryco 8.25
>and the driveshaft did
>and do it all in one day between two shops because cantweld plebmode AND no other car big enough to carry the driveshaft around in
This feels dumb as shit
Should have bought a 97 XJ instead of an 89 MJ so I could just swap shit normally
At least the AW4 is strong and the engine got rebuilt recently.

All I want to do is joyride muh truck.

I gotcha. Yea, these are all registered in Texas. No issues ever with them.

Eaton e-lockers are fine.

feelsbadman.jpg

i'll be fixing it soon.

Plans for it are:

rear e-locker

4.30 gears

32'' tires

2 inch OME lift up front

ARB Bumper and Warn winch

3 inch lift in rear

rock sliders

If I can fab up some scrub bars like all the aussie trucks have, I'll do that too.

This build will be mild enough to daily drive, but it should do much better than stock on the trails.

This thing is (was) very impressive on the trails in stock form with 28'' tires.

Shiet. How'd it happen, man?

friend and i were driving down a road at about 40-45mph, which was the speed limit btw, after a day of fishing. Some guy in front of me was making a left and there was no room to go around, so i eased on the brake. the guy turned, I started to move again and my friend rear ended me at 40mph because his Jeep YJ's brakes failed. I dont believe the brakes actually failed, but whatever. He might have cut them to avoid responsibility (he pulled over to one side of the road, i pulled over to the other).

The truck is totaled, but my friend wrote me a check and I found a guy that can fix it pretty affordably. It only has 85k on it and a flawless interior so its worth saving.

RIP

nt pajero 6g74. only mods i've done are swapped out the 18 inch wheels for the more popular 17s.

>Jeep YJ's brakes failed
Not surprising

mfw my yota got taken out by a heep

its cool tho it will be fixed soon

>nt pajero 6g74
Go with an aluminum winch bar, then. Steel really changes the great handling characteristics of these cars.

only been 4 wheelin once in my life
truck was a 1986 and a half nissan hard body 4x4
fucking loved it. about to pick up a 1999 yukon in a few weeks. any thing wrong with them yukons? pic related

Slightly lifted 1997 Geo Tracker. My little mountain goat.

>not getting the 4dr

Looks like youre on one of those roads made for jeeps

My 97 ZJ in the most off road setting I have access to.

Theyre way too long

Tbh, you won't be salvaging that rear, but it might be a good excuse for. Dual cab conversion.
Chuck a drop side flatbed and you'll have more storage and clearance than the wagon could ever give you.

besides them being too long, any other issues with them?

Finished muh jeep last week.

>2.5" lift: Coils and shocks
>new adjustable track bars, front and rear
>1.5" wheel spacers because stock rubicon wheels
>Yokohama Geolander AT-S 315/70/17

Uh rust, bad build quality. That's really it

>JKU
>no lockers
400 keks

At least you have it on a jeep approved road

im in california it has no rust. my brother is selling it to me and hes the second owner.
it has:
both front shocks all ball joints and tie rods replaced with both new front axles and bushings

brand new ac compressor with new ac lines

transfer case transmission fluid and oil have all been replaced

i dont see how its built poorly? can you explain? it has 165k miles on it and its drives like a dream

Found some Land Cruisers the other day.

>implying
It does. Front and ear

>all this saltiness
Well fuck me for contributing to the thread I guess. Never change Veeky Forums

GM stuff falls apart for some reason. It could be from living in the climate that I did but all plastic parts would end up cracked, the AC would blow foam at you, things squeaked and rattled right off the lot.

interesting. interior seems okay. i know the vehicle in and out since my brother has had it for 5 years since i was 18 am 23 now. i plan to put 32 in tires on it and my and my twin wants to put a rough country lift on it so we can offroad better

Just got back from a two week trip through CA, OR, ID, MO. 3600 miles of driving with ~500 on dirt. Got stuck in this spot NE of Coeur D Alene ID for about an hour when it bombed rain at night, couldn't make it up the 15% grade rooted hill in the morning, ended up doing a flying start and bouncing up the hill. Probably should get some actual tires soon.

>ID
And you didnt say hi?
God damn name fags

I've never been off roading. Never been on any trails. But I want to SO BAD.

But I don't have any friends who want/can go with me. They all drive cars. I don't want to go by myself and get fucked doing something stupid because im inexperienced.

I'm saving up for a winch and should have one by fall! But I'd much rather have a friend with a jeep or a truck to go with me though...

It sucks trying to make new friends after highschool.

>friend with a jeep
You would do nothing but save his ass

dat ARB rear bumper with gas can holder thing

>HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

any AMC Eagle owners on here?

Gorgeous.
For a bit of inspiration, although I'd just go with a flat bed. Fuck repairing that.
I think your suspicions are right. If the lines were "cut" as you say they were, he'd have had no brakes and his pedal would've gone straight to the floor from the start of the journey. Severed brake lines don't just fail part the way into the trip. Your friend is full of shit, but at least he wrote you a check.

I found a body shop who has a spare runner that is gonna cut out the whole quarter and replace everything, including the floor pan, and re-weld the body support back to the frame. We'll see how it goes. He's done good work in the past and he seems mighty confident about the job, and you wouldn't believe the price. If he does a shit job, which I'm not expecting, I'll just sell the truck as is. Someone will buy it because it has low miles and no rust. If I sold it, I would end up with more $ than the check was written for.

It was only the driver's side line. Makes sense because he hit me in the back left and it may have pulled him over, or he just tried to swerve into oncoming traffic and noped out.

BUT

it could be just the driver's side line because he got right out of the car and cut the line. He was fiddling with something under the truck for so long that he didnt think to come across the street to see if anyone he just demolished was ok. Also, there was no brake fluid anywhere but under his vehicle. No trail leading into the lot. And if he didnt know where the e-brake was (its his dads jeep) to avoid hitting me, how did he park in the parking lot? He even made a friend take a video of brake fluid spraying out under his car, and there was a LOT of it. If he really tried to stop and could not, there would have been more fluid on the road than in the lot.

Seems really really fishy, but it doesnt change anything. Accusing him will not magically fix my truck.

We'll see what happens. I will continue my search for a clean 80 series on the side.

pic unrelated btw, i realize that this is in fact a 60 series. I just love this pic.

Yeah, even if only one side was severed, there would've been NO pressure going to EITHER side.

>I got this m8

>Send help

Br/o/ther

bump

Another couple

The only wheeling it sees is a dirt driveway. I need to take it offroad more

Sorry about the fatass mirror.

I really need to go wheelin soon.

That's a sexy Yota

Where you located?

Nashville, TN area.

Not that guy, but I'm in Nashville. Sadly don't have any offroader, just my Tempo lol. I just like reading these threads.

Any good suggestions for a reliable japanese SUV that can be used for expedition/camping trips but that can do the occasional car and trailer tow?

I can only think of an FJ80, but that literally cant be the only option.

haha still cool. I always wonder how many people on Veeky Forums live here.

4Runner.

Its impossible for me to find anywhere to go in RI...

I got some freebie 35's from my Bronco, mounted them up over the weekend.

Those tires fill out nicely.

what there are a shit ton of options
4runner
tacoma
tundra
frontier
xterra
sequoia
uzj100
there are more too im sure

80s are kind of shit for towing anyway desu

youre going to get a lot of rubbing on any serious trails
look nice tho

if youre going to get serious id add a few inch lift so the 35s have more room

Ya, 35's are definitely the biggest I can go without a lift.

I used to have 4" lift springs up front, but it fucked with the plow geometry too much. I just stuck some stock height cargo coils in instead.

Now I have to sell my old 33's.

you have some serious snow there. where?

Buffalo

harsh. i dont know how you guys make it.