What do you think my *theoretical* build would get on a drag strip?

So, for all intents and purposes assume I have a good set of slicks.

>1970 Dodge Dart Swinger
>426 Hemi crate engine
>T56 6-speed manual transmission
>4.11 rear end ratio
>400 shot of Nitrous delivered evenly throughout the run

Well, I had this idea of dropping a big engine like a 426 Hemi into a lightweight roller, but the lightest weight one I could think of would be a Dart (even though many came with the 426). Maybe a Nova II. What does Veeky Forums think of this setup?

Other urls found in this thread:

yourbountyhunter.org/et/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I think it would theoretically get you 3 vaginas of close relatives. I'm sure they will be very impressed with your ability to drive in a straight line.

Really? 3? I was hoping for more. Are they at least the hot ones?

What like times in the quarter? Entirely dependent on the driver. I'd be inclined to ask why you're bringing this up. Also T56 is a shitty drag race trans and you really should look into shit like nitrous before putting together some pie in the sky idea like this.

A Hemi Dart weighed about 3600lbs. You can get most drag cars down to 3000lbs with extensive fabrication - but let's settle for 3600.
A new 426 is rated at 465hp. Add 15% driveline loss, and you're at 400 at the wheels.
Plopped that into yourbountyhunter.org/et/ which gave an 11.9 with a manual transmission, without spray.
The T56 isn't really suited for dragracing, but more for roadracing. 4.11's seem like a good choice.
With the total car weight and a decently set up suspension (4 link?) you could probably hit it hard with nitrous from the line. Total of 865hp, add 20% driveline loss, you end up with about 700 at the wheels, which works out to a 9.7 according to the calculator. Lower your weight to 3000lbs, and you're at a 9.2.

If you want real light, get a Foxbody - but the Dart would be so much better. Forget the Nova, forget the Fords, build a nice Mopar.

Also, a 426 2nd gen Hemi is heavy as balls, since it's an oversized iron block that can take up to 530 cubes. They're also expensive as fuck - the base 426 will cost you 17K new, with just 465 horses. That's enough to buy you a lightweight, aluminium Viper V10 instead, with 505 hp. Also, 17K doesn't get you a bottom end that'll hold 400hp worth of nitrous. Hell, 4K more buys you a Hellcat, which has 700hp, without even spraying it, and that's a lighter block.

What I'd do, is get a gen 3, 426 Hemi crate engine. It's physically smaller, and a hell of a lot lighter since it's an aluminium block. They pack 540hp, and cost about 14K. It'll be plenty for you to start testing with, figuring out the launch and suspension. Worry about the nitrous later.
With the money you saved, ditch the T56, and go for a clutchless Jerico instead. If you want your overdrive badly, you can always add a gearvendors.

>Jerico

Nah, I've broke too many of those bastards to have much faith in them. A good setup from Liberty is the way to go. Crashbox A833 would work better for him, imo. Then also wouldn't have to fuck around with adapting a different make of trans to a Chrysler.

>Then also wouldn't have to fuck around with adapting a different make of trans to a Chrysler.
Chrysler used T56's though, for the SRT10's. I think he could also use a TR6060.

Oh definitely, I just have a vendetta against taking a T56 to the drag strip- But specifically adapting one to an old Chrysler Hemi involves either cutting down the input shaft (when snagging one from a production car) or shelling out big bucks for one from like American Powertrain, the latter of which is more expensive than snagging a Hemi box and having it stuffed with a gearset from Liberty and both the T56 options perform worse in my experience.

it would be faster with a 727 and without it back halved and tubbed you could probably only stuff 10.5's under the ass. little tires, a big motor and aqn inexperienced driver with a m/t is not a good recipe for low et's

Small tires and a manual do offer a challenge, but it can be overcome. I think a T56 is a lot more streetable than a built 727, and it'll way lower highway RPM

Having a t56 on a drag strip is a good way to get embarrassed by some slower auto car

do a twin turbo 340 instead

>The T56 isn't really suited for dragracing, but more for roadracing.

Heh, yes it is

>>T56 6-speed manual transmission
Complete shit, kill yourself. Automatics are what you need for non-NHRA shit.

>t56

Into the thrash this goes.
Your going to need a powerglide cause fuck you that's why.
As for all that NOS.
pack spare pistons and spark plugs.

>Powerglide
>On a heavy Mopar
Nope, you want a three speed, so a 727.

>cause fuck you that's why.
The actual reason is that PG's were literally forged in hell with rare diamonds.

>>Powerglide
>>On a heavy Mopar
>Nope, you want a three speed, so a 727.
There's a reason Powerglides are the unofficial gear boxes for drag racing. They make 3 speed PGs now too.

>muh Mopar loyalty
Brand loyalty will have you in second place.

>They make 3 speed PGs now too.
Yeah, they invented those a few years ago. They're called Turbo 400's.

>Brand loyalty will have you in second place.
There's always a faster car, and you can still win without a turbo LS, Powerglide and Ferd 9'' combination. Besides, for a backyard build, it's probably easier to just keep the bolt patterns the same.

>drag racing faggots
holy shit they wouldn't know performance if it bit them in the ass
>muh carbs
>muh heavy drivetrain
>muh torques and 2 gears!

why is it that so many japcrap cars with tiny 4 bangers with awd and a turbo can spank half of these "dedicated" drag queen cars while still being dd'able and perform better on the circuit as well.

how many cocks have you sucked today?

not OP but you're homo.

>>muh carbs
For pure power, carbs can't be beat. If you tune them right in the powerband and run velocity stacks out of the heat of the engine you will get ridiculous performance
>muh efi
please stop, such a meme.

>>muh heavy drivetrain

Yes, you need something like that to handle such retarded power.
Post yfw the first time you saw the size of a Lenco.

>>muh torques and 2 gears!
lol you're going 1/4 mile, you won't be able to use much more than two gears.

anyway i took the bait.

>drag racing
>manual transmission

You need a gearbox dedicated to the "strip",
dude.

>I hate dragracing!
>There are 150 threads on Veeky Forums right now.
>Let's post in a dragracing thread!

>muh carbs
Oldschool mechanical fuel delivery like carbs and mechanical injection work fine for continuous full throttle operation. They also tend to get better evaporisation and heat dissipation. EFI is indeed superior otherwise.
>muh heavy drivetrain
Big horsepower, transbrake launches and big traction thanks to massive slicks means extreme driveline stresses. You'll shatter anything that isn't beefy.
>muh torques and 2 gears!
A slipping torque converter means you're always at the powerband, even at the start. For pure acceleration, it's perfect. Also, less gears means less rotating mass.

>why is it that so many japcrap cars with tiny 4 bangers with awd and a turbo can spank half of these "dedicated" drag queen cars
Not many import cars can run a 9 second 1/4 mile, and then still go round a circuit. Meanwhile, 9 seconds is a pretty slow e/t at Drag Week.

That's not a manual though, that's a Lenco. Pretty much an automatic in everything but gear selection.

You can still dragrace with a manual, it's just harder - although a 6 speed like a T56 is more useful for street use, compared to a Glide or TH400. It will hurt your e/t's a bit once you dip below the 11's, but it is kinda satisfying, and you're in a league of your own. Just look at this sandbagging Foxody running 8's.

Would that be a motherfucker to drive on the street? Do you just push it forward to downshift?

Yeah. It's just a stack of 2 speed transmissions

Sounds cool man. Get a dog ring/faceplated transmission. it's worth it.

your idea is retarded

like you dont know shit about cars level of retarded

>For pure power, carbs can't be beat.

EFI is better in every possible way

>EFI is better in every possible way
nope

yup

better performance
better economy
better reliability
better tunability
better emissions

carbs are for ignorant and or poor people

>EFI is better in every possible way
prove it. also i know a damn sight more about cars than you. (not op btw)

nope
The only thing FI can do that a carb can't is adjust a/f on the fly.

aight

Im dealing with a shitty troll my bad

you dont know anything and arent worth the time

A parking ticket?

or a twin turbo 4.7
those are brilliant engines for the money

>needs electric high pressure fuel pumps

it's better at burning cars down too.

>better performance
Fucking LOL
Carbs beat the fuck out of EFI in WOT applications.

>better performance
Nope. Since EFi has to pressurise fuel first, it does not the kind of atomisation and vaporisation carbs do, which means IAT's are going to be higher on an EFI setup.

Yes, EFI is easier to boost (outside of drawthrough superchargers, which really take advantage of that evaporisation)
Yes, EFI gets better MPG
Yes, EFI needs less adjusting
Yes, EFI is easier to tune (for people wth 0 knowledge)
Yes, EFI gets better emmissions

But for pure WOT n/a power, you can't beat a carb.

>Would that be a motherfucker to drive on the street?
Absolutely. Lencos have no engine braking whatsoever (unless you're in top gear).
Do you just push it forward to downshift?
Yes, if you don't have a pneumatic airshifter doing it for ya.

>not a twinturbo 3rd gen Hemi

bump

Ah, the old astroglide meme.