Quick lube scam stories?

Quick lube scam stories?

>on roadtrip across Canada, time for oil change, 5,000km away from home
>take to quick lube place
>guy keeps trying to upsell me
>no every time
>your diff fluid looks off-green like you've been driving in water (never have)
>ask if the seals are fine, they are
>oh we can fix it for $80
>no
>oh well if your warranty finds out they'll void it!
>goes on and on for about 5 minutes about my warranty is going to be voided and how they're making notes about it and how the dealer will find out (yet when i first pulled up he said his chain shop doesnt communicate with other provinces)
>say no again, and he comes back a few minutes later saying oh well you're lucky i just found out your truck is rated for 250,000 km for diff fluid change

>crawl under truck later, no leaking anything, everything is fine
fuck these places, only out of necessity do I go to these places

tl;dr scam auto stories

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15336709/#q15336709
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>only out of necessity
Whats the necessity?

>years ago
>be 16
>tie rod ends are 4 months old on my first car
>mechanic says he cant give me an alignment w/o replacing tie rods
>hands me a $800 summary of what needs to be done
>"alright take it off the lift I'm leaving"
>get aligned right down the street in 10 minutes

Im away from home, I cant change my own oil and I was overdue for a change and driving in mountains

As someone who works in a chain shop, we won't align cars with bad parts regardless of how bad it is.

Other shops may not give two shits or charge you for an alignment that won't hold or just wall job you

>Quick lube scam stories?

See the archived JiffyLube scam thread at:
archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15336709/#q15336709

>hands me a $800 summary of what needs to be done

That's what happens when they work on commission or have monthly sales targets in order to get bonuses. Some places claim to not have commission. My chevy stealership is like that. But what they do have is monthly targets with bonuses. So it's still commissions but under a different name and service writers collect too. Sales over XX, bonus level 1. Sales over XXX, bonus level 2. Sales over XYZZY, bonus level 1000. Sort of like that. So it's no wonder it's a stealership.

Since there are a limited number of hours per day, my chevy stealership wants the most profitable jobs in there in terms of dollars per hour. So as few in-warranty jobs as possible and the max non-warranty jobs possible. Same with oil changes. They discourage the free in-warranty oil changes and try to fill the oil bays with non-warranty oil changes. So if you try to go in and get a change early (not at 3K miles even for new car), they will deny you. It doesn't matter that your changes are limited to 2 per year. I know it must be a voluntary thing at the stealership because the other chevy dealer told me just come in anytime, no annual mile limit, just two free changes in the first two years. Stealerships suck. I now have full synthetic oil, so I wouldn't ever use the free changes now. Too bad they aren't transferable.

> As someone who works in a chain shop, we won't align cars with bad parts regardless of how bad it is.

why not?

at this private owned mercedes shop (not a dealer but a dealer alternative) i used to work at the owner told people to change their oil at 5K miles rather then 10K which is what mercedes says to change it. basiclly he said change it before its even due at half way because "we care'. thats they they said "we care" when i asked why are we changing oil at every 5K when its suppose to be at 10K. but people who dont know get scammed all the time

Loose suspension components can compromise an alignment.

> instead of making the car somewhat better/safer, let's leave it as is

>go to mazda stealership
>oil change for the miats
>ask them if they could check my OBD-II code because check engine light
>service rep says they can only do it as part of a $140 diagnostics check
>decline
>motherfuckers remove my front license plate for whatever reason
Thought it was stolen when I noticed the next day, 2 weeks later I called them and it turned out it was sitting by their carwash the entire time

They removed it because you probably had one that stuck out like a ricer and their automated car wash would have ripped it off, then the lazy highschool kids getting paid min wage forgot to put it back on.

Are you really this dense?
If your tires have ANY variation in yaw, you cannot align them.
It's not a policy thing, it's a physical impossibility thing.

Moar

Fair enough. But in the other user's case, their tie rods were fine and didn't need to be replaced.

you still could have done it yourself, just go to Walmart or crappy tire and buy some oil and a filter. or you could have went to a dealer which will still try to fuck you but usually nearly nearly as bad or as pushy. or you could have just changed the fucking oil before you left. who the fuck takes a long trip without making sure their vehicle is ready for it?

bottom line is there's really no excuse for EVER going to one of those quick lube places. fuck half the time they don't even do the fucking work anyway, there's a 50% chance you left with the exact same oil you went in there with

>dealership
>automated carwash
>customer has no say

what?

Most dealerships have a dirty as fuck automated wash they run cars through. That's how they hand out shit like "free carwash with every service"

I have a decent quicklube scam story I will type up for this thread

>nearly nearly
not nearly

here they just run them through a local car wash. they usually do it when they go on their test drive. you don't usually get the wash for minor shit like oil changes unless you brought it in filthy as fuck to the point where they have trouble working on it. in cases like that they also charge you out the ass for the wash

>state inspection time comes around for my ML 430
>was going to get it done at work like I do with all my other cars, but we are booked solid on my only day off so i run it down the street to a quick lube place
>already know it has nothing wring with it before I take it in
>quick lube guys take it back, tell me it will be about 30 minutes, I sit in waiting room type place and watch tv
>30-ish minutes later guy comes out with a clipboard in his hand
>tells me the vehicle has several major problems that need to be addressed, no way he can pass it on inspection
>oh_buy_here_we_go.tiff
>ask him what problems are
>power steering rack is leaking fluid badly (this has no impact on passing state inspection)
>rear main seal is leaking oil extremely badly (this has no impact on passing state inspection)
>my AC compressor is leaking fluid (this has no impact on passing state inspection)
>my exhaust is rusted out in several places (this is the only thing actually could cause you to fail state inspection)
>he also gave some story about there being several 'trouble codes' in the memory they would need to look at
>all complete BS
>I get him to put it in writing, and tell him to work up an estimate on repair
>he calls me back later that day and throws out some number that was around 6 grand
>in the meantime, I take pictures of all the things on the car the guy claimed was fucked
>also get a mechanic at my work to certify that all of that shit is BS
>then have several very fun phone calls with the corporate office of that quick lube chain over the course of the next few days

I really should have taken them to court, but I just didn't want to spend the time fucking around with it that seriously. Ended up getting a sort of VIP card that lets me get free oil changes, which I use on the wife's car

pic related was my rusted out exhaust system

the sad part is how many people actually end up falling for that shit. it's these mother fuckers that give mechanics a bad name

>Be me doing apprenticeship at an auto shop
>Think its awesome as they will teach me how to do any service
>End up getting job paying $4/hr more and switch over
>Learn that most of the shit they taught me was wrong
>Was recommending brake pads when there is about 50% left (6/32nd)
>have to relearn everything now

I know it happens all the time. It's one way in which cars and computers are very much alike. People STILL routinely get ripped off on service/repair for both even though they are tools that people use every day

I know that image is as old as the interbutts but man, lower intestine kills me every time.

die in your sleep, cocksucker

>neighborhood garage down the street
>go to start car on a saturday morning for a cruise
>CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK
>shit
>get on motorcycle, ride to shop
>say I live a quarter of a mile away, need a boost and a new battery
>this motherfucker walks the entire way carrying a jump pack
>jumps my shit, I drive us back to the shop
>they change my battery in like 20 minutes
>$95
>leave
>go cruising

Some of them are pretty fucking great.

Was it his toe rods or tie rod ends that were fucked? If it was his first car he could have gotten confused between the two

>get on motorcycle
>instead of going to an auto shop and buying a new battery you go through a bunch of hoops and shit to get the same outcome
holy shit

>green text LPG post.

Not tales of dealership... cmon don't be a cocktease.

I don't really want to put a fucking car battery in a backpack.

I don't have any stories of myself getting scammed but I have plenty of myself scamming others at the lube shops I've worked at

>how many paid for filters went unreplaced
>so many trans and brake flushes went unflushed

And the best is tacking on the good ole $7 bottle of "factory recommended" Lucas fuel treatment at every oil change.

weak

My aunt bought a LPG crysler minivan once and she was confident it was a good one as it had a full service history with it....
from the kwikfit (dutch jiffylube)
well now my paranoid autism kicked in and thank god for it
valvecover full of grey sludge
coolant was brown instead of the usual mountain dew bottle green
minor oil leak at the drain plug
fuel filter had nearly crumbled to dust
exhaust pipe had a couple of holes in it
checked the records, it should all have been done 4 months ago....

>nan buys car from her mechanic friend
>she drives it into the ground, 4 years without a service or anything
>gotta practice manual in her car since no-one else in the family has a manual
>complain that the car feels really weird to drive
>'yeah no power steering lmao use ur arms user'
>no i mean the clutch pedal sometimes wont come up
>'just needs a tune up'
>later find out the person who sold my nan the car wasnt actually a mechanic but just lived next door to a mechanic

Thanks for sharing, your posts are the only redeeming part about this place.

actually in some cars the powersteering and the clutch share the same fluid so you might have run out of fluid there causing excessive force on the mechanical components, of course leading to the system kicking the bucket at some point

it didnt have powersteering, the master cylinder was almost 20 years old

just get a cheap toolkit you faggot

Anybody watch that special from the CBC showing how lube places rip people off? They was u entire experience right there.
>Go to new lube place here in New Jersey.
>Go to play since the car is already inside
>"You pay when it's done"
Ah fuck outta a scam shop.
>Get called into garage
>CAR PARTS ALL OVER
>You need a cabin air filter and a engine air filter
>$100
"Sorry it's not my cart is my mother's, I'm doing her a favor."
>"You need an engine flush and a transmission flush."
Neither of these you need on a car with 30k miles.
>Just put everything back, I only an here for the oil change.
After this $25 pull change I went to Auto Zone and got the engine air filter for $12. Fuck those places. Place has trouble Yelp and Google reviews, who the hell can blame people for getting mad.

Oh shit this might have happened to me. I tried getting an alignment at pep boys and was told this same thing. I picked up tie rods yesterday to replace them myself today. I'm gonna be fucking pissed if I didn't need them...

>look at service prices for a place near me
>$169 for an oil and oil filter change, top up of fluids and an "80 point inspection"
>an extra 100 bucks will get an air filter, cabin filter and new wiper blades

>your posts are the only redeeming part about this place.

both brown-nosing and putting everyone else down
way to go
everyone else that has been trying to be helpful should switch to "fun" mode and be like Alphonse and the other trolls

>capitalizing the word alphonse
go away alphonse no one likes u

Some Citroens have suspension, steering and brakes in the same high pressure hydraulic system. Pressing the brake pedal just opens a valve to release the pressure into the brake lines. If the engine is running the steering wheel always returns to center even if the car is not moving.

>OK sir your oil change is done but we found a problem
>oh?
>Your diff fluid is filthy and needs to be replaced ASAP, we can do it right now for $99.99
>hmmm, that's weird. I R&R'd the axle seal a month ago and replaced all the fluid...there's less than 800 miles on it. It's almost as if you're trying to con me.
>.....
>Just give me my keys.

Can confirm, I use to be the faggot that would take peoples cars through the car wash for a free car wash, half the time I bent the antennas , left bugs and tar on the car and to top it all off we didn't even rinse them off just left them wet so during the winter everything froze up.

>tfw go to local garage/lube shop
>tfw $20 oil change, tire rotation, and fluids topped off
>tfw if I want, I can even watch them do all the work on my car
>tfw good friends with manager, he upgrades me to synthetic fluid every once in a while for free
Only problem is that sometimes it can take up to an hour to get an oil change done. After watching, it's because oil changes are put on hold for bigger jobs, since they are a total of 4 mechanics. At least they don't bullshit me with replacing fluids or seals or bullshit.

So how big was he? Did it fit all the way?

You're a fucking moron if you don't see anything wrong with 10,000 mile oil changes on a car you actually give a shit about.

>Driving along
>Hit a pothole
>Suddenly the suspension collapses, the steering stops working and the brakes fail
>All at the same time
What kind've stupid cunt thinks this is a good ide
>French
Oh

>installed new caster/camber plats
>go get alignment
>sorryanon, you're tie rods are shot, we can't guarantee and alignment unless we change them
>ok, just do a rough alignment, I'll deal with the tie rods later, I'm in a hurry
>it really isn't safe user, I shouldn't even let you leave on these, its that unsafe- you'll have to sign this waiver
>fine, just align my shit.
Forgot about what they had said about tie rods.
Changed leaking rack and pinion a decade later- tie rods were still as tight as factory.
Plus dick did burnouts in my car pulling it around to put it on the rack.

I won't take my car to the shop for anything now, not even alignments, I learned how to do it myself.

>I learned how to do it myself
Wow, i can't imagine spending $20,000 on an alignment machine for my shed.

JiffyLube charges over $100 for a full synthetic oil/filter change on the west coast. By the time you get done with the waste disposal fee and taxes, it's an obscene profit for them.

The best priced places for full synthetic oil/filter changes seem to be either the sears auto service center or walmart oil and tire centers. Not all walmart supercenters have those oil & tire service shops though. Sears has online coupons at their site which brings the charge to $50 for valvoline full synthetic oil and an oil filter change. Wal-mart's everyday price is $49.97 for the oil/filter change. They use fram orange can filters but you can ask for a substitution such as extra guard or the synthetic filter. Their choice of full synth oils includes whatever is in the supercenter or mobil1, valvoline, castrol, and pennzoil platinum.

laser eyeball

And that is one of the reasons why they connected hand brake to the front wheels so it could have decent stopping power in case of complete and catastrophic hydraulic loss.

todays oils can last a lot longer compared to back then. if this is how mercedes says to do it, i do it. eat a dick fag.

i neglected to mention the 169 dollar price doesnt include synthetic, and it's limited to 5.5 litres of oil

I thinks that it is mainly because in US they still use mineral oils and not fully synthetic good quality and rated oils. I use only fully synthetic ACEA A5/B5 rated oils what is recommended in my car.

There's lots of cars that share the brake fluid and clutch fluid in the same reservoir, I haven't seen one share the power steering and clutch though

i hate people like you. heres a story
>customer comes in asking for 1 tire be replaced as it is showing wires
>take a quick look at her other 3
>2 have nails in side walls and are completely bald the other two are showing wire and a near street slick bald.
>tell her no because its against my policy to replace just one when all 4 are completely fucked
>proceeds to tell me its not right for me to turn her away when her car isnt safe to drive
>my response: "then why are you driving it?"
>because i need my tire replaced
>"ma'am with all do respect all of them need replacing
>i cant afford it you have to replace my tire im the customer
>no im not going to because its unsafe to just replace one. i will not compromise my job security because you failed to maintain your tires.
at that point shes baffled i said that
>you know i know its not right for you to turn me away like that. knowing my car isnt safe. if i get a flat and crash and get injured you know its your fault right?
>lol wut.png
>"uh no it wont be because i never even touched your car"
>but you still let me leave knowing its bad
>"we have rules to follow i cant help you im sorry"
she got assmad and left. fuck your kind for thinking that way

That's understandable honestly. A while back this happened.

>find a free tire repair coupon for a local tire place
>I have a screw in one of my tires, the rest are fine and have good tread
>I wait forever for them to look at it and they come back to tell me they can't repair it
>"oh that's fine. i do have a good spare tire in the back of the car. can you put that on instead?"
>they don't install used tires
>they instead reinstall the tire with the screw in it

I know it's policy and I didn't argue but damn. I was willing to pay them money just to install it. I ended up going to a used tire joint and having it installed in ten minutes for $25.

is it okay to switch back and forth between synthetic and regular?

>guy comes in for oil and filter
>all tires are bald as fuck
>tell him
>just the oil change thanks

Why did you pay for someone to throw a spare on?

Spare tire, not wheel

Yeah this
It would have taken the same exact effort to install my good tire but instead the install the damaged one. Policy is policy I guess.

Dads old taxi van had that shit 199-something mercedes benz sprinter
shit was funny when he had a leak, couldnt steer while operating the clutch
and these days, i believe mazda still has it

but i should mention that that taxi was kind of a pile of "inventive" repairs due to budget cuts
theyd use any type of repair as long as it "worked"

I'd go fucking mental, if they ran my freshly polished and waxed car through their barbed wire abdomination of a "wash"

>Replace 120L lube on an emergency generator.
>building changes management.
>few months in realize they are fucking incompetent
> send them a request to service the generator again, 3 years before it is due again.
>the dumb shits accept.
>only change filters and add new dates to them.
>$1300 richer.

well he made you check your diff tho bruh

Why didn't you do it before you left, if you knew you were going to hit the interval while out?

They were fail-safe, though. Brakes jammed on, steering locked straight, and suspension locked in place.