For about a week now when I would drive, my rpms would go down to zero and my vehicle would just just...

For about a week now when I would drive, my rpms would go down to zero and my vehicle would just just. After waiting a minute or so it would start up and I could drive it home. It has always take two tries to start it up so idk if that has anything to do with its problems. I noticed this happens when I run low on gas as well. Any help would be appreciated

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mDIlwbx0B-s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Had a new exhaust put on by chance or moved it around? Run over anything?

Fuel and/or heat related.

Alot of fuel pumps are cooled and lubricated by gasoline, its why the old anecdote is to never let it get below a quarter or an eighth.

What vehicle is it and do you know if you have a single Coil, or coilpacks? When those are going out they quit working when heated up.

I have hit a few bad potholes thats about it. I have had some over heating problems due to a leak in the coolant container.
I noticed that when i fueled up it stopped. checked oil and it was very low so I put some more in. I suspect there might have been an oil leak too. My vehicle is an 01 jeep cherokee like the one above

I knew a guy who had a Cherokee that would do the same thing. Multiple trips to the dealer- no resolution. Eventually he traded it on another car, and it ran long enough for the transaction to go down.

sounds like fuel pump or fuel main relay. can you hear it prime when you turn the key to the run position?

What does it sound like? Sorry im not giving good info im not very good with cars

kind of like a whurrring noise or maybe a tiny reeee noise. like a tiny electronic device powering up check this video out user it should help.

youtube.com/watch?v=mDIlwbx0B-s

No i havent noticed any noises like that. I checked the oil and it was very low so could that have something to do with it?

no. low oil would just kill the engine it wouldnt make the engine shut off periodically. anything else you noticed about it before it dies at times? im trying to help you so be detailed

Well I noticed that it primarily happens when Im low on gase like I said above. Also, it appears to happen more frequent when I go over 60. The last time it happened the rpms dropped to zero and it stopped, brakes and steering wheel started to lock up after about 10 seconds of it happening. What concerned me was when I was trying to get it home there was a point when the rpms went a little crazy and jumped several times between 1k and 2k so i pulled over and just waited and then it drove home fine. That is about it

im thinking its the throttle position sensor transmission speed sensor or fuel pump

Is there any way you know how to test for these things>

use a multimeter and probe the prongs on the sensors. look up the specs for the sensors i dont know them off hand

Sounds like a bad crankshaft position sensor. Typical problem in jeeps. Heat and vibrations cause the sensor to not function intermittently

Would it be safe to drive for one more day? I have too before i can get it checked

i dont see why not user. how long have you been dealing with this issue?

less than a week

If you can pull over safely when the engine stalls, then yeah you can drive it

Buy a $20 code scanner and see if the code for Crank Position Sensor comes up. Sounds like it's going bad.

>Also, it appears to happen more frequent when I go over 60
What happens when you gun the engine?