Veeky Forums, I need a basic OBDII scanner to read the occasional code I get on my vehicles...

Veeky Forums, I need a basic OBDII scanner to read the occasional code I get on my vehicles. Are the cheap ones absolute garbage or will they suffice?

For example, found an Amazon deal on this that puts it to $14. Worth it?

l know lots of people who've had great luck with bluetooth adapters + your preferred Android/iOS OBDII app

Personally, for simple things like pulling CEL codes, I just coughed up the dough to get a decent handheld scanner that I can update through my PC

I just use the clear blue ones for android

Cheapo on ebay

I've had a 20 dollar Bluetooth one for a couple years now. Can read real time data with the Torque app, clear and read codes, and data log. Totally worth.

Torque app seems to be legit, I've never come across anyone who's had a negative experience with it

For something that's free, it's one of the most useful apps I've ever downloaded.

Is there an equivalent for iPhone? And any recommendations for cheap dongles/scanners?

CAN bus is a CAN bus tbqh. Say you buy some chintzy wang hung lo reader, if it breaks it isn't the end of the world. There are some voodoo codes you can't clear without some super expensive dealer thing iirc.

'engine link' is the only other mobile based app I've hard people use, and its iOS if I remember correctly

As far as the dongle, just go on amazon, and sort by reviews

>There are some voodoo codes you can't clear without some super expensive dealer thing iirc.
You don't need to be a dealer, you just have to have the right tools

OBD2 is a meme

get the BAFX one. works good.

I had one for my ls1 Camaro loved it. I bought a wifi one for iPhone and used dashcommand. Worked well and was great. I would make sure you pull it when you aren't using it. I left mine in all the time (had a code for no cats I had to clear frequently) and eventually it got toasted. I swear to this day once it stopped working it messed with my car giving it a weird idle surge. But for the app and the dongle itself your setup ends up being $30 which is worth it as your own code reader

the ELM327 ones never worked for me.

your existence is a meme

I bought one for 16€ off Amazon which was the one with the best reviews under ~30€. That was one year ago, it still works fine. I only use it with the Torque app.

Buy that 25 dollar one at harbor freight.

Bought a cheapo ELM327 BT one, pairs with Android and Windows provided you have the software. Mine came with it, probably a cracked version because china doesn't give a shit about copyright laws, but it works.

Depending on your car, you might want to see if there's a more specialized interface available. I own an Opel, and 20 euros on ebay will yield you a chinese knockoff opcom complete with definitely cracked PC software. Can be used to reprogram all the systems, read extended trouble codes, test virtually everything in the car (EGR, central locking, even the fucking horn) and is overall a pretty nifty tool to have.
Used it to enable comfort closing (hold lock button on fob, front windows close) which is cool and will definitely moisten ladies in the proximity

The cheap ELM327 ones are okay if you have a car of asian manufacturer. They often don't play nice with the signaling methods used in many American vehicles. If you're looking for basic code reading/clearing they can be cheap enough and get the job done.

If you have an american car or want much more frequent data updates for an app like Torque, I'd recommend an OBDII reader from ScanTool instead.

>using cracked software
Never do this on anything you put sensitive information into.

>and eventually it got toasted
So these cheap OBD2 readers do stop working after awhile? Doesn't sound very durable as electronics go.

I haven't unplugged it since I bought it. Well, apart from swapping vehicles.

Map all my drives with Torque Pro. Haven't tried using it on Nissan, Kia, or Chrysler vehicles.

Only complaint are the led lights. A small light show isn't something I want when driving around.

just buy the cheapest one on ebay.

why the fuck did you need to make a Veeky Forums post about this you idiot, i swear i should make a thread for everytime i fart and it would be more interesting than shit like this.

i have the yellow Roadi brand one Wal-mart sells for like $60, reads/clears codes as well as comes with a booklet of what the code means, done me well for the last 5 years ive had it

Harbor Freights basic one sells for $49 but their continuously-offered 20% off coupon makes it $40. The drawback is that the codes cycle through a long period of time, so if you miss it, you have to wait. It's not like their $100 model that saves up the codes and you can scroll thru them.

can any of these read the can bus? my abs computer has a code and everyones scanner sees nothing.

It's not a matter of "reading the can bus" man, it's that ABS codes stray into being somewhat manufacturer specific

You have to have (and they do make, because I own one) an OBDII scanner that specifically says it can read ABS codes, and even then, most only read a certain selection of carmakers

You really need someone who has access to a legit diagnostic computer, most legit shops will have at least one and will generally charge you a half hour labor to hook up and read the code off

Buy handheld wired one. Cheap Bluetooth ones can be hell but are nice when they work.

For just pulling codes you can get a scanner for $15 that's wired

Granted it was during a summer here in Southern California. But I don't see why you would have a problem if you unplugged it when not in use. Loved mine but my car reads codes off the dash so I don't have a definitive use for another one.

I have the $12 bluetooth one from amazon. Works fine.

iOS guy here.

I am down to Veepeak VP01 ($18) and Goliath ELM327 ($19) on amazon.

Any reason to prefer either or is there a third better choice?