Did you guys know that a 13B rotor weighs around 5 kilos? (around 11 lb. for you yanks)

Did you guys know that a 13B rotor weighs around 5 kilos? (around 11 lb. for you yanks)

www.mazdatrix.com/r-rtrwgt.htm

Blew my mind. I never researched this until I thought about it now. It's kind of shocking considering that an average piston weighs around 400 grams.

Rotary thread, I guess

Other urls found in this thread:

video.mit.edu/watch/a-new-rotary-engine-design-658/
youtube.com/watch?v=fIPCx1az7ks
re4life.com/index_EN.html
youtube.com/watch?v=v3uGJGzUYCI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

straight six thread

Vtec thread

Recently had the chance to disassemble a 13B-DEI as a side project, probably one of the easiest engines to service ever.

Sadly it was fucked required new housings and rotors, It had been sitting outside for years and collected water inside the chamber rusting out the rotors.

Why do you think they break so often?
Rotating mass is a serious issue.

nice meme there dude.

That's some of the dumbest shit I've ever heard

lel

Let me present you something more interesting and factual.

Is this the best engine configuration ever conceived?

Have any of ypu read about that rotary x engine from liquidpiston? I saw it on the news a few weeks agod and thought it was kind of neat. Does it have the potential to go anywhere commercially or will it be regulated to niche applications

video.mit.edu/watch/a-new-rotary-engine-design-658/

Rotary os not dead

Yes, this is what i was talking about. Is it as exciting as they claim it to be, can it actually be scales up to work with a car or motorcycle

A rotor is significantly larger than a piston and made of steel rather than aluminum. If you want light weight, Mazdatrix was selling 5 pound titanium rotors for $2500 each.

>Rotary OS
God forbid such an abomination be created or loaded into a PC

But those rotors do not change direction like regular pistons. Also the crankshaft is much simpler and no conrods are needed.

Also there is three sides in those rotary pistons so would it be fare to compare it with three regular pistons with conrods?

It's still significantly heavier than three pistons with rods, but not having to change direction counts for a lot. Plus, the closer the mass is to the center, the less it affects moment of inertia.

How heavy is the 13B flywheel compared to similar power regular engines? Does the rotating pistons have any effect or are the flywheels weighin the same?

New Android and ios competitor

>Memory floods after closing a few apps and turn in the screen off
>Needs to sit before it can be rebooted

Typical

A piston has to totally change direction, a rotor does not.

The rotor merely spins and a lot of the mass is closer to the point of rotation reducing the moment where as a piston is rotating up and down about a point along a rod far from the peak of oscillation.

Basically put the piston is experiencing far higher forces and moments of inertia which is why rotors pretty easily rev up to 11-12k RPM's with very little done to them despite being 5kg whereas pistons at 400g require a properly, high-quality engine build to even get close to those numbers.

What kind of horsepower can you get from a street-ported 13B? I'm thinking of getting an old beat-up FB to turn into a weekend hoon machine/track whip.

I hope you're not counting on running that plate. It's fucked. Street ported NA is good for maybe 150-180 at the wheels depending on how aggressive it is.

The flywheel is significantly heavier than a typical I4 or I6 sprtscar flywheel because it has a counterweight built into it. The aftermarket lightweight flywheels are much lighter than normal because they're designed to bolt to the counterweight from the back of an auto trans engine. It's hard to compare.

Yeah, that's my point. 22 pounds of pistons and rods would be insane for anything even remotely sporty. 22 pounds of rotors isn't that much because they never have to stop and turn around.

Depends on the type of porting and how aggressive it is, probably in the realm of 170hp or so..

Generally 12A's/13B's don't break 200hp naturally aspirated without some serious shenanigans.

I wouldn't worry too much if you're just after a simple track or hoon machine, the FB is very light to begin with.

>Take rotary
>Turn inside out
>Most efficient engine ever designed

The dorito is literally the inverse of a good engine

It's worth remembering the rotors spin at a third the speed of the eccentric shaft. So at 9,000rpm the rotors spin at 3,000rpm.

>most efficient engine ever designed
>because some faggot said so

Let's see them build it and actually use it in a car then.

Needs to be properly scaled and tested in a car.

I'm not holding my breath until they do.

It won't work in a car. It's a steady state engine like a gas turbine. It's designed to work with a generator or hydraulic transmission

wow that's heavy
so much rotating mass that rides on a steel squigy for compression. Back to the drawing board mazda

They can fuck off with it then.

>being literally retarded

>mazda literally went back to the drawing board

>what you mentioned has literally never been a problem with rotaries and mazda is changing other things

fuck off tard

Did you guys know a piston weighs 500 grams? (around 1lb for you yanks)

>compression and apex seals have never been a problematic on rotary

ermergerd butthurt rotard lol

no

what's the compression ratio on naturally aspirated rotaries? RX8 specifically but i'm also interested in SA22 and FC

Not a car but they got it work in a gokart.
youtube.com/watch?v=fIPCx1az7ks

not the best video but it at least proves the concept works. you can't really verify the efficiency claims until they become more commercial or you spend like 20k on a prototype

The weight of the rotors is a meme issue, low polar moment of inertia.

re4life.com/index_EN.html

pic doesn't have to do with anything I just said.

dank meme you got there.

the site looks like it's still stuck in the '90s

>rotating mass that rides on a steel squigy for compression. Back to the drawing board mazda
>>compression and apex seals have never been a problematic on rotary

>Changing goalposts
>Can't deal with the best engine ever produced

>100 hp at 9000 rpm

HAHAHA HE SAID IT AGAIN THE MEMEME A P E X S E A L S APEX SEALS APEX SEALS LISTEN KID YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT YOU'RE FUCKING OUTDATED PISTON FUCK CAMSHAFT FUCK EXCUSE OF AN "ENGINE" HASN'T GOT SHIT ON MAZDA'S ROTARY ENGINE. I'LL WANKEL ALL OVER YOUR MOM AND STILL HAVE ENOUGH JUICE LEFT TO SMOKE YOUR ASS ON THE STRIP. MAZDA HAD TO STOP PRODUCTION OF THE ROTARY NOT TO PUT EVERY OTHER CAR COMPANY OUT OF BUSINESS AND CAUSE A GLOBAL DEPRESSION. So next time you even think about spouting le apex sealyio maymay you better think Twice.

90's internet aesthetics are pretty based tbqh

Did a rotard fuck your mom or something dude jee

so much mad lmao

were not talking about honda engines here.

This car is 100% pure sex apart from the lip.
TFW no RX3

lol i love this meme xD

Fuck off wherever you crawled out of with this cancerous shit.

dun blow a seal bra

LOL XDXDXDXDXD

I JUST LITERALLY

PEED

MY

PANTS

JUST A LITTE THOUGH

I MEAN ITS A LITTLE SPOT NOT LIKE IT RUINED MY CHAIR R NYTHING LOL BUT FOR REAL EPIC LULZ HIGH FIVES XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

U FRUSTRATED U FRUSTRATED BRO U SO MAD WHY ARE YOU SO MAAAAD I CAN POST ANYTHING I WANT THAT IS HOW IT SAYS IN THE RULES I DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR FAGGOTRY RULES Y SO MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

WHATA FUCK MAN xD i just fall of my chair cuz i couldnt and i CANT stop laugh xDXDXDXDXDDDDDDDDDDDDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD OMGOSH DDDDDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDD LOOOOOOOOOLLLLL THIS IS A SHIT XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDXDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD A BIG ONE XDDDDDDDD A GRAT ONE XXXXXXDDDD CONGRATS MAN XD U FRUSTRATED U FRUSTRATED BRO U SO MAD WHY ARE YOU SO MAAAAD I CAN POST ANYTHING I WANT THAT IS HOW IT SAYS IN THE RULES I DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR FAGGOTRY RULES Y SO MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

WHATA FUCK MAN xD i just fall of my chair cuz i couldnt and i CANT stop laugh xDXDXDXDXDDDDDDDDDDDDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD OMGOSH DDDDDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDD LOOOOOOOOOLLLLL THIS IS A SHIT hgXDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDXDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD A BIG ONE XDDDDDDDD A GRAT ONE XXXXXXDDDD CONGRATS MAN XD

WHATA FUCK MAN xD i just fall of my chair cuz i couldnt and i CANT stop laugh

xDXDXDXDXDDDDDDDDDDDDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD OMGOSH

HOOOOOOOOLLLLLLYYYYY SHIT

whatr the HELL

WHATA FUCK MAN xD

i just fall of my chair cuz i couldnt and i CANT stop laugh

xDXDXDXDXDDDDDDDDDDDDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

OMGOSH DDDDDXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD DDDDDD LOOOOOOOOOLLLLL

THIS IS A SHIT XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDXDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

A BlG ONE XDDDDDDDD A GRAT ONE XXXXXXDDDD

Holy /v/

i missed this pasta

Is this what brain failure looks like?

Not enough fire.

How hard is it to change the apex seals though?
Is it like changing the oil, or do you have to completely rebuild it?
Are rotaries easier to rebuild?
They look like they would be simpler to take apart but idk.

There's essentially only three moving parts.

To change the apex seals you are required to tear down the whole engine to access the rotors.
However, rotaries are simple to tear down and can be rebuilt quickly after a repair or upgrade.
Depending on experience and what being worked on, it could be easily be done in a day or less.
It's literally just a big sandwich of 3 iron plates, 2 aluminum housings, and 2 rotors.

Where does the oil go?

Into a Jerry can with the gasoline

what do you mean where does it go, like where in the engine?

two-stroke premix, not just straight engine oil.

Like a 2 stroke?
shiiiet.

Nigga I'm making my own pre-mix

Yep

youtube.com/watch?v=v3uGJGzUYCI

yea
>best sound (some v8s are better)
>most simple
>perfectly smooth, no balancers
>looks best
>takes boost best
>makes most torque because pistons push thr crank a full 120° unlike v style