If every human was now immortal and aged to a 25 year old's body permanently...

If every human was now immortal and aged to a 25 year old's body permanently, would it morally justifiable to bring a child in to the world?

There's a difference between agelessness and immortality.

Yes. If every human was immortal, then there wouldn't be resource scarcity based on the population - save for maybe land.

Justifiable yes, justified by default, no

OP specified we get both

Yes it is possible for someone to morally justify it.

What's the argument here? The child would have to age and see everyone else around them stay the same?

Wouldn't that lead to an immortal ruling cast using the rest as fodder?

I think you would have to buy and justify the right to a "child". Population growth should be less than economic growth, and the child should add to the economy. If the costs start outweighing the benefits, you will have to wait a few hundred years until we colonize some new planet.

Yes because you could just go inhabit you're own planet, if you are immortal why waste time on earth?

I'm not sure you understand how awful immortality is

It would be even less justifiable

Stop Making Sense was really good

Why would we stop our evolution?
Not just evolution of body, also evolution of culture and ideas.
Everyone knows and its trivial to see that each generation has a different outlook on life and brings different ideas to the table.
If we get stuck in time with immortality and no birth, we'd decay.

But you could just transhumanism

You don't have proof though.

dude dont say that, you'll make Nosferatu here feel sad

I've been immortal for nearly 30 years and it's awful, just awful.

The Schopenhauerean in me says no: reproduction is wrong for utilitarian reasons, as there is more suffering in existence than there is pleasure.

>as there is more suffering in existence than there is pleasure.

That's not true though.

its almost as if thats subjective

Life would become a heaven, no death? That's the only thing that brings sadness, the fear you won't achieve what you wish, all the time in the world must allow you to do that.
No food, so more land for housing no farms, and work would be less but more people could have it as more cheap housing, and only warmth and entertainment will be needed, unless you're ok with being bored and cold.

There is more possible suffering and possible pain, only thing you wanna avoid is over population. Is suicide still possible? Can I not end my happy 1000 years on this Earth and give another guy a chance? Or even my horrible life?

Entire fucking point of reproduction is to make sure we don't die out so if we become immortal it would be completely pointless to have kids.

>transhumanism
worst idea ever.

yes, eventually the immortals will end up trapped on the sun or in black holes, in order for interesting things to continue happening in this section of the universe, nonimmortal human civilization must continue

Can you wipe a brain clean (vegetate) and then destroy the body? Is that not death for an immortal person?

This

They'd naturally die off in a generation.

>right to a "child" until we colonize some new planet.
Couldn't who controls it stop everyone but those with the best genes from having kids?
Like Eugenics.

>If every human was now immortal and aged to a 25 year old's body permanently, would it morally justifiable to bring a child in to the world?

Do you mean all humans right now, and only right now? The children would die.

What about people who are 26? Do they age to a 25 year old body?

Who does this apply to?

Genetic engineering would make it irrelevant anyway.

Well, yeah that too. So no one births the kids, it's just the only ones who's genes are allowed to be expressed in the new child that are controlled. And so, we have not "right" to have the child as in, we make it, but only in that we raise it.
Maybe we'd even have people who's job it is to be the best parents, but then like says, these people would only propagate their ideas, and we would never change culturally.

You're operating under the misconception that they would think the same way as we do now. Becoming set in one way is a result of the mind deteriorating. If that wasn't a factor, people would not stagnate.

I think what we would do or think will be irrelevant as the planet will be owned and managed by AI soon enough.

No. Having a child is the greatest sin one can commit.

Becoming set in one way is a result of you finding one way.
You are only looking for a way until you find one, then you keep using that one, as everything you know is built on top of it.
We need new people to discover their one way in new circumstances, thus driving culture forward.

Humans are not ants.

How awful is it? It looks interesting enough to me.

Is that you, user?

Yes, immortal humans should be able to conquer the stars and settle them.

>bring a child in to the world?

Well... maybe not the world...

How is that a counter-argument?
Okay, let me try:
"Humans generally have two arms, thus you are wrong. "
Eyyy, this is pretty sweet, I have to do it more often.

Is this with or without the ability to commit suicide?
Can you still die from violence and disease?

take a look at these hands