/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Just Like Make Lewd

>Next Game Jam (Lewd -- Blueboard rules still apply)
itch.io/jam/lewd-jam-2016

>Lewd Jam Collabs
docs.google.com/document/d/1K9wlzcJntyOCV3KLvRcvllZ2ZUnGgrDtiwPdMLlw5XQ/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sm0Pxz0uq-62L46TdXmKisynbhLI_by-pLNlcgo4B8M/edit?usp=sharing

>Play Latest AGDG Demos (DDX)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

>Next Demo Day (DD11)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-11

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/qRHNpCbZ

>Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/vqtoja0p
unity3d.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=pi7gbWPXCXg
google.com/
2zxegames.itch.io/celebrity-sexpose
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>language fight
Wow, that is such a rare occurrence. AGDG never has these. I'm sad that I missed this one while I was busy making progress

Name a good programming language

Rust

>full OP is back

good work user

fuck anyone that whines about "wasted space" - it's like 200px more you dweebs

>good

Are there any Unity tutorials just for showing me how to set up the fucking project? I don't need to be told what a data structure is, but I would like to know how I handle gamestates, manipulate objects, et cetera. It seems like every tutorial starts off:

>SO DIS HERE IS HOW YOU MAKE A VARIABLE!

Mother fucker I know what a variable is, just tell me how to set up my project.

You heard me

>Just tell me how to set up my project

Click the Unity icon, go to new project, type it's name. Done.

No, I mean like code hierarchy and shit. All the tutorials are drag and drops 10 line scripts.

Hasn't even got HKTs

>No, I mean like code hierarchy and shit.
What does that even mean?

You put code where you want to to accomplish a task. Are you sure you are not a beginner who needs those tutorials you are trying to skip?

I already tried writing games in Haskell and that isn't my jam, dog

i made a sky in source
what do you think

What is this shit? Are UE4's shaders so nomals based to the point that they wont update the shadows if part of the mesh deforms? This is a huge problem for me!

Do you wear clothes when you dev?

i'm gonna guess that you're not recalculating the normals, and the box isn't actually receiving self-shadows. the tiny color change is likely just the default screen-space gi or ao solution.

Anyone here knows how to make a private server offline in an MMORPG? the server files are downloadable because its a version that died about 2007-2008 before they went to the shitty 2.0

Always wanted to replay the old game and offline would be great if I could access it with more than one account.

What kind of heathen do you take me for? Of course I don't.

I think it's trash. I think you should stop posting here. I think that whatever you're doing you need to stop. I think that you need to stop. Before we have to stop you.

Micro! Progress!

Yup, that's some AI and melee

Added a new section to the in-game music

clyp.it/vqtoja0p

Please leave feedback!

fuck thats a goodie

reminds me of a home-y feeling. Similar to Earthbound.

Try setting the mesh to moveable, static meshes have a more efficient shading method behind them because they're static

Its ugly, and
>Unity: unity3d.com/

If someone can't google even the most basic thing, they shouldn't be in here

should I use allegro?

Not sure I feel the home vibe, but that's a mighty high compliment, thanks!

Yeah I can groove to this too, like the other ones

Just starting out here, after so many years of being too afraid to fail.

Why does Game Maker have 1,000,000 ways to do the same thing? I seems no two tutorials teach the same way to do anything, and their drag and drop functions for events are... not great.

>1,000,000 ways to do the same thing
Welcome to programming.

I guess I have a long road ahead of me...

>GM tutorial teaches me to use the "move" buttons for basic movement
>look up other tutorials
>guy uses some basic "x = right - left" function
>take some time to wrap my head around it, get it, and continue
>"Okay, now we are going to totally scrap all that shit and do something a little more complex."
>100 lines of code, many redundant for the sake of covering one's bases

why are you trying to learn how to use game maker before learning how to program?

Lights can also be made moveable, try both

I know the basics of programming. I'm not very good, and I don't find it fun, but I can lay down some code.

I figured Game Maker would be best way to make something without straight learning a programming language, being that it is literally advertised as such.

I'd recommend scrapping the DnD altogether and following the GML tutorials.

You can make a game with DnD, but it's not flexible in any way.

>it is literally advertised as such.

that is a meme to get lazy people and children to think they can make a good game without programming, and you fell for it

it's true that getting a prototype running in unity or GM is obviously faster than straight up just like make game in your language of choice, but you still need to know what's up. shit isn't easy, it's just easi*er* than other stuff

>I figured Game Maker would be best way to make something without straight learning a programming language
If you inted to do something really basic only using drag and drop functions: yes.
But as soon as you need to make something more elaborate or need to have more control over any particular function you will need to code, and therefore to learn GML.

So yeah, if you want to get into game dev you'll have to learn a programming language at some point.

>that is a meme to get lazy people and children to think they can make a good game without programming
But you can. It just won't be very good or unique.

I figured as much. I'm fine with learning it, I just begin to wonder if I should just go with a "real" language instead. GM just seems to have the environment all set up for everything already.

>You like THING?
ahahahahAHAHAHAH
get a load
of this
RETARD

Game Maker is pretty powerful so long as you don't want to do things like have 80 objects running collision checking every frame.

So... not great for a Gradius-like?

Game maker manages to handle Risk of Rain at end game pretty well, and the level gets fucking filled to the brim with monsters and shit

Err okay so I changed the light to movable but the option isn't there for my cube. ????

You mean how ue4 recalculates the normals on import? I did do that and I even tried using both recalculating tools but it didn't make a difference.

Also it's extra annoying because the previews used out of the actual scene show the deform properly.

I meant collision checking with a stage. Like 80 Marios all running at once.

It can handle Gradius without breaking a sweat.

Honestly, you mentioning that RoR was made in it at least solidifies it with me as an acceptable choice. I don't know how wild I want my stuff to get, but if it can handle that, my amateur ass shouldn't have any issues.

Good luck user. You can do the thing

RoR was even made in Game Maker 8, which is quite a bit weaker than where Studio is at now.

No, you have to recalculate it once you change the shape.

Well I know that's what I need if it's all normals based but I have no idea how to tell ue4 to update it on the fly while in animation or if that's even possible. Cause updating it just once while it's ballooned out will just give me the same problem but the other way around.

art & animation is too hard, i wish i could magically conjure anything better than this programmer art

on that note i have an enemy who walks near you when you get close to him sometimes wowza!

You do it in the shaders.

>Err okay so I changed the light to movable but the option isn't there for my cube. ????
After googling, I see morphers are skeletal meshes, and those don't have lighting settings, I'd guess they all use the moveable ones

Changing lighting settings was my best try, I have no idea how to fix it. A material that checks itself what way the UVs are facing, something in that direction?
Try flipping 'Use with Morph Targets' on in the material

I converted my minimap stuff from a manual workflow of saving to a file and loading it in to dynamically generating a camera when a level loads. I felt pretty good about it, until I pressed run and it crashed. Now I need to download the debug symbols because I forgot to do that when I upgraded engine versions.

>download the debug symbols
What does this mean?

so when I crash I get this

twitch.tv thewhitereaper7

agdg fire steam famalam

Dayum, got 28 downloads on my rushjob lewd game overnight. That is half more than i got on my demo now.

glad i never join the voice. that sounds autistically off the chain.

the bokube or whatever chime that comes up occasionally is very annoying.

Why is bokudev SO QT

>bokudev SO QT

>circlejerking stream
Why?

>implying he can dethrone rotate

Does anybody dev games on GoLang and wich framework?

I dont think he tries, because he doesn't go full trans like rotate. (he says hes straight in discord like every other hour).

>MachineID
>EpicAccountID
Should you be posting that?

where the fuck is everyone

dont tell me you're working on lewd games for this degenerate jam

added mode where players are tethered to one another and have to cooperate to gain control of the ball (the "horse" sprite still needs animation and the ai path-finding is still a bit janky)

QT penguin in maya 9000000000000 polys

Who are you

You don't need very many.

one more person and we have 200 lewd jam participants

Do you guys think a game based on Russian 90s with all the corruption, crime and general decay of everything could be interesting to a western gamer?

im no gamer but that sounds like an interesting and unique period setting.

>all the horny nodevs ITT refreshing the jam page every five seconds
Holy shit dudes kill yourselves.

Nice insecurities you have there

game-play

agdg gets pretty slow on weekends as long as shitposters aren't here. I'm working on a game, but not for quantity over quality jam.

As long is it doesn't get full politics/economics class I guess some people could be interested on it.

I was thinking about an adventure game. Like Primordia or Technobabylon.

Right because 50 posts per thread of
X Joined
Entries
>WHERE ARE THE LEWD GAMES FAGGOTS????
Is a good thing.

Literally anything could be made interesting with the right execution.

ignore this guy Create a model economy and the creation of the russian oligarchy using simple levers of the state.

ok after 2 hours of trying to get ASceneCapture2D working in C++ I am giving up

maybe I will try again in a week or two and have better luck. until then my dungeon will just not have a minimap

>showing a game from the n64

the new kirby games on handhelds have more polys with counts that would probably trigger you nodev.

Progress from that level shown earlier. I added presents as someone suggested.

Haven't posted progress in a while

added some basic camera controls and a bounce pad that you can pick up and put down virtually anywhere

Damn, i wish i wasn't too lazy to implement a some data anal. into my lewd game now i have to wonder how many people actually finished it

Presents look like candy with a bow on it make their corners more round also those trees at the bottom look bad

Always put anal in your games.

Thanks I had no idea there were consoles newer than the N64.

i post on and off here

What high spec labtop for dev should I get agdg?
money isnt a problem

youtube.com/watch?v=pi7gbWPXCXg

How about razer laptops?

google.com/

Wrong way of looking at it I think.

Hoppo is more talented than you probably, he probably tweaked and optimised the shit out of his code, if you just bung shit into your levels without an eye to performance your stuff will suck.

thats funny , deadbolt is so laggy

Lewd jam host here.

Should I remove game pages if they seem to be explicitly advertising a game that wasn't made for the jam? Or just leave them?

The issue has come up after seeing this submission, for example:
2zxegames.itch.io/celebrity-sexpose

There could be more like this. Let me know if this bothers anyone.

>Artifact of Spite aka 1 fps

>Hoppo is more talented than you probably
Nah. RoR is a hot mess.

ugh not really. BokuDev uses Unity doesnt give a shit about performance with massive polycounts and still gets 100+ fps. I do think talent have something to do with it however...