THE SUV-CANCER

When will this meme be over? Is there even an end to this?
Almost every middle aged relative or friend of mine who bought a car in the recent years chose one of these cancerous tasteless boxes. I mean sure, it appeals to the men because they mostly got some power and they market them as outdoor vehicles, they are big enough for a family of 4 or 5, and even women developed a taste for them.
But come on, is it truly necessary for every carmaker to constantly spawn dozens of suv models? Is it just an upcoming trend, or its demise is nigh?

People were saying the same shit about minivans 5 years ago. Something will come along and replace the SUV as the soccermom mobile.

But what? Shootingbrakes? Hatches? Only time will tell.

All I know is that in 10 years people will look back on the SUV and say "hurr it wasn't really that bad" because that's exactly what people say about minivans today and what people said about suburbans 5 years before that.

If you have one vehicle an suv is a really good option for most people. They hold a bunch of shit, mileage is actually really good now, they offer a pleasing ride (soak up road imperfections).

If you're in an area like mine you pretty much need an suv or 4x4 or risk your suspension going bye-bye, and well, fuck 4x4s.

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it a meme

And they are never going away. 1.) because they generally tend to be some of the most profitable cars in a carmaker's lineup and 2.)They merge together a shit load of qualities average people want in a vehicle

>easier to get in and out
>better visibility
>fits more shit
>doesn't scrape oil pan on a bumpy country road

>at only a slight expense of mileage unless you're a boyracer

This.
I dont see the problem.
They are nice for just about any outdoor activity.

I just wish the car companies would simplify there lines.

Do we really need 5-6 sedans per line up.

These small SUV's are great. Why do you hate them so much OP? They may even be the most practical vehicle money can buy.

Who cares. You and the majority of people here on Veeky Forums are stupid NEETs who aren't even buying new cars and instead opt for 90's or 00's nipboxes.

Why do you care so much about non-issues that do not affect you in any way?

There are very few suvs now. Everything is a crossover. (unibody and/or based on a car) Most have very little ground clearance. Normal ride height is fine for a dirt road. A wagon would be a better choice for just about everyone.

They're shit.

Elaborate on how they are shit? I can think of a few reasons why they arent.

>see this
>go test drive
>decent interior, good spec
>quality build
>get on the road
>no fucking power
>go WOT and the fucking thing lags out like my 56k connection in 99
>steering feels like a rubber band

I mean, it's cool, but god forbid Subaru put a turbo 2.0 in there. But that would cut into forester and WRX sales. At least a 2.5

The CVT dosent help either

Ah, but Subaru CVTs are quite nice. They're very true to standard A/T transmissions

In the end OP, manufacturers adjust to what the market wants for maximum profit. As it turns out, SUVs and crossovers are very profitable, hence why they're pumped out by the thousands.

Car enthusiasts are a small majority of owners and tend to buy used. Thus there's no reason to appeal to us outside of one or two cars per mfg

Agreed. My only gripe with the Crosstrek.

They are available with 5-speed manual

Why exactly are they cancerous? Because you don't like them?
There's a reason they sell so well faggot.

I missed the comment about the steering. Mine doesn't do that? In fact it's surprisingly quick at speed. Granted electronic power steering will never feel the same as hydraulic.

The market doesn't want CVTs. Normies just don't care. Manufacturers are being forced into it to meet fuel economy standards thanks to the gubmint.

>"hurr it wasn't really that bad" because that's exactly what people say about minivans today and what people said about suburbans 5 years before that.
Because they grow up and stop spouting memes.

Well, it just felt like I had to fight a lot more to steer it. I believe it's just due to how the AWD system feels versus my FWD shitbox.

I'd love to get one, it's just that the local dealers to me love to price gouge and won't come down- at all. I figure the margins are quite slim looking at trade-in values.

Might as well just save for an STi- It's what I really want anyway.

I drive mostly larger vehicles so maybe that's why it doesn't feel like that to me.

Find one someone is selling on CL or similar. Dealer prices are kind of crazy on them. Found a dealer listing for one a couple hundred miles away that seemed like a decent deal then found one local that was $2k less with less miles on it in like new condition. They are holding their value really well so the dealers take advantage of that.

Do you like yours? My gf is wanting to upgrade feom her 2011 Rav4 base model. We have narrowed it down to the2016 CrossTrek, Rav4 or Buck Encore

Because we want new nipboxes. The Toyobaru is a good start, and the Miata has had to shoulder the weight of new fun, cheap Jap crap for decades. The Z is in an odd spot. Does it get a bigger engine and fatter, or will it just lose weight?

The SF-R is on the horizon and the FT-1, even if nothing like the Supra it claims to succeed is on the table too.

I do. My only gripe is it's slow and the stock tires are pretty shit.