Hey Veeky Forums I come today with a question, how the hell do these headlights/tail lights work...

hey Veeky Forums I come today with a question, how the hell do these headlights/tail lights work? I try to find info on led lights but they end up looking like pixelated shit. How hard would it be to custom make headlights like pic related? Would tail lights be easier or harder? I know its probably rice shit but it's interesting

pic related

They don't work. Those lights are illegal and unsafe.

u wot? literally almost all new cars are coming out with headlights like this. what cuck country do you live in where lights are illegal and unsafe

Probably could retrofit some into a new pair of headlights, or possibly by some with it pre installed.

Personally I think they look tacky except on some mid-2000s halo BMWs and new Cadillacs.

Yea...there's a huge difference between something the manufacturer does and something you do. First and foremost they have lawyers and engineers who understand the regulations and how these things work.

its just led strips for visual effect
you can see the actual bulb in the back.

pic is of the car, made by 326power japan
no doub the actual light produced by the normal bulb would be fucking shit

cuck confirmed

well like how to the strips actually get the light scattered so it doesnt have dots every few millimeter? Is it just some semi opaque plastic that scatters the light into the plastic or is it like a single bulb or what?

>How hard would it be to custom make headlights like pic related
Pretty difficult. You'd need to mold translucent plastic/glass to whatever shape you desire then put LEDs behind it. The sullied plastic/glass spreads the light from the LEDs making it so you can't see the individual lights through it and illuminating the whole strip.

its like a piece of fiber optic cable with a light connected to one end

anywhere I could find some resources on how these are made?

>cuck confirmed
Is cuck Veeky Forums slang for 'someone who isn't a retard'?

Cold cathode fluorescent tubes.

someone who is a retard
ftfy

holy shit youre a massive nannystatist cuck. do you also look for carb labels on air intakes too, bitch nigga?

>difference between something the manufacturer does and something you do

So stancing a car is right out?

>someone who is a retard
(You)
And you're why regulations have to exist, thanks moron.

Get in you google pod like a good little cuck.

>goes on a board for auto enthusiasts
>condemns auto enthusiasts for enthusiating

Im reading about them right now, I can't seem to find anything about how or what they're made of. Are they bendable or are they set glass? Also thanks user

Yes, I cam condemning people for messing with stuff that they don't understand. If it's on a car that will never see the road I don't know who would give a fuck, but otherwise you leave that shit alone.

why would you shit on someone who is trying to understand something then, faggot?

Because this is Veeky Forums and this is the wrong place to ask serious questions.

>swap ls2 into ls1 gto using only factory parts

>by some logic this is frowned upon in cali

Are you on cali's side?
your move

This attitude makes it so.

There are actually a fair amount of people who post here and know what they are talking about/ don't shitpost.

Notice how the LED goes around the projector housing in your pic, and how it doesn't go around the reflector housing in OP's pic. That's why it's illegal.

>Notice how the LED goes around the projector housing in your pic, and how it doesn't go around the reflector housing in OP's pic. That's why it's illegal.

Not that guy. In my state, modifying the headlight is illegal because now the modified headlight no longer meets the state's certification label given to the manufacturer. Thus, your car is technically driving without any headlights approved by either federal DOT or state DOT. It's illegal, but not criminalized.

For awhile, it was a fad to have strips inserted, but the highway patrol ticketed enough of them that the rest of the users stopped and even removed them to avoid getting a ticket. Thus, they are "extinct" as a headlight artform. I actually liked them, but the law did not.

You can put led strips under or around the headlamp bezel though. That was also popular with certain models of cars. The problem is that baboons come and yank them off. They shove a screwdriver down to get one edge to come up so they can grab it. Then they fiercely yank and pry the rest, damaging your car's fascia and clear headlight bezel in their Great Haste to do it fast. Baboons are the plague of any exterior car accessory. I thought of getting a monochrome set of badges for my car to match the paint. But didn't because the baboons would just take a piano wire and saw the badge off the car while damaging the paint something fierce.

Wouldn't that be much more expensive and difficult than just translucent plastic and LEDs?

This is a stupid analogy. This is more like swapping out halogen headlights with factory HID headlights from a higher trim level. This is 100% legal and fine to do.
I'm not trying to shit on him at all, he asked a question and I answered.
That's nonsense. They would be illegal because there are requirements for durability, performance, and environmental sealing that those almost certainly do not meet because they were made in some garage in China.

youtube diy angle eyes, tl;dr buy perspex rod, heat and bend to shape, put leds at end, cut groves and sand to disperse light evenly.

Although OP's pic is probably cold cathode lights. Which are "12v neons" buy they are fragile as fuck.

They are 12v, and come with tiny transformers.
They are super delicate. The glass tube inside is brittle as fuck and is only about 3mm thick, and its protected by a slightly larger plastic tube. So no, its not bendable.

Yeah the manugacturer will cut corners and do the cheapest shit.

I retrofitted my headlights and I got a much cleaner cutoff and further and cleaner light distribution.

Oh yea, you did that with your 20 years engineering experience did you? Know all about FMVSS requirements and photometric performance goals?

I know autist is used as an insult but I genuinely think you may be autistic. You are odd.

>You have autism if you call out people for doing stupid shit
Ok nigga.

>putting brighter longer lasting and more efficient bulbs in your headlights
>doing stupid shit

OK M9

>I don't know what the hell I'm doing, why can't I put this round peg in the square hole???
Ok nigga.

Aftermarket LED DRLs are legal in most countries since there are no specific regulations for them. Ditto for LED fog lights, though you're not allowed to use them outside of specific weather conditions.

The stuff that's illegal is LED bulbs that replace regular halogen bulbs in stock headlights. They fuck up the beam shape in 95% of cases, so you'll blind other drivers at night. Doesn't stop retards from using them though.

There are a few cars that come with all-LED highlights from the factory, which comply with all regulations and can do cool shit like dimming a specific sector to avoid blinding oncoming cars, but that shit is ludicrously expensive and so far quite unreliable.

>Aftermarket LED DRLs
That's not what these are and these obviously compromise the headlamp, not that those headlamps were legal to begin with.
>since there are no specific regulations for them
There are absolutely regulations for DRLs.
>The stuff that's illegal is LED bulbs that replace regular halogen bulbs in stock headlights.
Yes, using a light source in a luminaire they were not designed for will make a compliant lamp non-compliant (and dangerous). But there are plenty of lamps that are noncomforming straight from the factory. The only safe choices are OEM or trusted aftermarket manufacturers like Truck-Lite or JW Speaker. Unfortunately due to expense of developing lamps, an upgrade path is not available for most vehicles outside of what the factory provides.

>There are absolutely regulations for DRLs.

I dunno, every car manufacturer puts stock DRLs wherever they like, in any shape they like, and with completely random angles of visibility. Is there really any regulation beyond brightness?

Those are leds behind some opaque plastic for diffusion

Nope the company the designs the parts do.

>that cut off

>This is more like swapping out halogen headlights with factory HID headlights from a higher trim level. This is 100% legal and fine to do.

What applies in your state is not necessarily what is true in other states. We've seen that to be the case time and time again in Veeky Forums for many different topics.

Swapping HID is explicitly illegal in my state. The state website actually says you cannot swap HID into a non-HID car.

What might work as an alternate is to glue a tiny strip 5mm wide of the same material that laptop backlights are made from. That plastic is edgelit by LED and obviously emits a lot of light. That thin plastic strip would be low profile so wouldn't extrude a lot from the bezel surface, so it would look appropriately like part of the bezel. The edge or middle of that plastic light emitter could be fed by multiple fiber optic tubes an LED at the back of the headlight assembly but best is the fused fiber optic taper (but tapers are expensive) for maximum brightness. If the fiber optic is metal vapor coated and then coated again with a white polymer, it would be nearly invisible and durable.

No one said that the light source had to be up front. It was only an assumption so far.

I wanted to swap the white lightbulbs of my rear lights for brighter LED lights. So when I go in reverse, the white light would be brighter since people keep walking in back of me as I am backing out. But I was told at the shop that would be illegal to change the light intensity. They also wanted to sell the lights to me, and would have, but I told him what I was using them for, so he then refused.

I should have then told him, ohh, changed my mind. I'm going to use the LED in a practical project. I was going to build a custom playhouse for my teddy bear. I would go out and buy the most expensive mansion in the area, tear it down, plant a wheat field and then put up a single glass playhouse with a teddy bear displayed in it. It would be lit only by this LED light that coincidentally happens to fit into my car. That's the practical purpose I am buying this LED lamp for. He'd then be able to legally sell it to me since I now had a practical and legitimate use for the LED bulbs. But I was stupid and didn't think of that excuse.

Just look up the Light bulb specs buy them from DD and change them yourself.

Yes, there are a few requirements like positioning, maximum brightness, and what lighting configurations they can be illuminated in.
>What applies in your state is not necessarily what is true in other states.
This isn't by state, this is federal. I don't pretend to know what backwards bullshit each state requires, and few people care.

What car is this?

LED Diffuser. Similar to what's inside LED monitors and phone screens. Usually a plastic film or thin panel that the light shines through

You could always try COB LED's

It's pretty much just multiple tiny LED's that give the impression of a solid line, you can buy them in strips or rings.

Magneti Marelli led strips.

hyundai elantra

Those are called Daytime-running-lights or DRL for short. Only for cosmetic and most of them turn off once you turn on your low beams.