User, do you use your parking brake?

user, do you use your parking brake?

Yea

Nah I just shift it into reverse

most of the time yeah

mhmmmm oh yesss

Yes, every time I park

in manuals or if there is no Park in an auto.

I use every parking break, every time. It's habitual.

Nope. Cables broken.

Yeah, we've got no power here so I gotta yank the hektik lever.

It broke and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, so nope. I just shift it into first gear if I'm rolling back and reverse if I'm rolling forwards.

I should probably fix it.

Pretty much all the time even in auto's. It's easier on the transmission when parking on inclines and I've had automatics slip out of park before.

Yes I use it every time I park. I have a Lineartronic ® CVT Transmission, but it gives me peace of mind that the weight of the car on an incline isn't being rested on the transmission. I barely know anything about cars so my reasoning is probably wrong.

yeah i do

You're actually correct. All that's holding you from going back is a lever inside the transmission, not sure how a CVT does it but same concept.

Yeah because when I'm on an incline because the car rolls back on the parking pin and jerks hard when you put in in gear

Pedal e-brake

You mean the emergency brake?

I'm not sure what's in parking brakes but mine came back to life after 10 years of neglect in my Suburban. It wouldn't hold an incline at all one week, the next week after regular use, it's holding on my aunt's crazy driveway. Good shit

old trucks have to have them

Yep. Saves the transmission.

since i drive a manual, yes.

Why wouldn't you?

>makes hill starts a breeze
>makes parking on an incline safer
>handbrakies for days mane
>FWD dorifuto is only some Maccas trays away

There's nothing wrong with a pedal parking brake.

no, the parking brake.

Always, have a manual subbie. I don't keep it in gear

You should desu

Everytime I park. My car is a stick but I have an automatic rental and I still do. I don't feel like it's good how autos roll a bit when you just leave them in park

>I don't feel like it's good how autos roll a bit when you just leave them in park
It's not.

You mean the fun handle? Sometimes.

Yeah even in my old auto shitbox

It's bit better on your transmission, and my house's driveway is quite steep

texas here, I think I found it one time on my truck when I was jacking it up with the driveshaft out.

Also manuals

its not "good" for it...but that drum is going to outlast every other part in the tranny even on steep inclines every day...

Every time I park. I leave it in gear as well. Double sure.

I drive an auto, and yes.

Everyone needs to always use their braking brake as long as it actually works.

Takes stress off your driveline, and transmission.

>not going maximum security mode and turning the wheels towards the kerb, putting it in first/reverse, pulling the handbrake and putting chocks on the wheels

No, it won't.

Ever since Anton Yelchin died

He was really good in Beyond too

Every truck has one and some cars

Full size trucks have to have them you fucking retard

Why don't any trucks have hand brakes?

Yep, my DD is a manuel. I also leave it in gear. It's so habitual to use it that my friends were getting on me for using it when I drive their auto cars.

Mine does

Explain your reasoning, nigger

>hand brake fails
>car rolls down hill
>????
>FUCK

>leaving your car in gear
Your transmission isn't a parking brake.

My old saab wouldn't let you remove the key if you had it in gear.

The parking brake is not actually extremely secure.
How many times have you pulled the parking brake, then let off the brakes to find out your car still wanted to roll so you have to pull it a little more.
Enough to realize it's stupid to not have a fail safe.
Anyone who is stupid enough to think that leaving a manual in gear is putting stress on the drive line should be put down.
You're putting more stress on the drive line driving than you are letting your engine hold you.

>>makes hill starts a breeze
Because you suck at driving.

what kind and model?

Automatics don't count, bus rider

>Reverse
>Not putting it in first

Pretty much only on inclines, parking lots and when I have to park on the side of the curb

so basically every time you should use it

Can someone explain to me why so many Americans don't use their hand brake? Do they just leave it in P? What about transmission failures?

My guess is that the "emergency brake" as it's known in the US is for "emergencies only".

You have to remember these are the people who got their drivers licenses out of a cereal box and find driving stick "too hard".

Because some dumb motherfuckers can't decide whether to call it an emergency brake or parking brake and nobody is instructed on its proper usage anyway.

Appliance Americans have absolutely zero mechanical empathy as well.

Ok this is a bunch of FUD.

Leaving the car in gear is just a failsafe should the parking brake fail for some reason.

Holy shit stop coming to this website.

How else do I stop the car rolling away when it's stopped?

>replacing rotors
>springs on calipers that hold in place against brackets
>spring shears can't get out
>tried 3 hours, blowtorch, drilling, locking pliers
>fuckit new caliper
>parking brake cable rusted to old caliper
>also stuck as fuck
>pissedoff.jpg
>bolt cutter, cut parking brake line
>can't replace by myself, would have to gut cars underbody
>cant take to a shop since I work 6 days a week and need my car for work
>Feelsbadman.jpg

Do yourself a favor and acquire a mid 90s shitbox and drive it once a week to keep it from sitting and settling too hard for situations like this. A spare car is always a good idea. I took rental reimbursement off my insurance when I got an 89 shitbox to go with my 2013.

Sometimes I forget.

I remember once I for got and when I came back my car had rolled forward a car length and was in the red. Good thing Noone had parked in front of me lol.

That was when I was getting used to driving manual

Oh wow man you slip your clutch and do things the "harder" way

i cant believe how cool u r