/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Roguenex.us is still down.

>Shared DCSS online account.
User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on CXC).
Remember, it's not fun if you didn't splat hard!

FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/SgMJ7Xwh

Previous Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/nXBycdgR
sourceforge.net/p/crawl-ref/mailman/crawl-ref-discuss/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Source?

HoMM2 roguelike when

2nd for add Kek on Demon.

Buried in the depths of a tumblr with infinite pages that updates daily, around six months ago.
Good luck

The game pastas with updated Demon pasta:
pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

>he didn't just take a screenshot of the map by navigating it with X

eh, it's still good

How viable or not is getting statue form in a 3 rune as a chei troll?

everything is viable as a troll

D I C K E R Y

It begins.

Help, I'm really starting to like this character. I started it as a joke, so I immediately took the chance when I got some mutation consumables and ended up with antennae, +1 AC and +13% HP (which I found out really useful in a melee felid). I don't want him do die, any tips?

Also, I got a book named Fen Folio which contains Hydra Form and Summon Hydra. My character is not skilled in neither summoning nor transmutation, but felids have a +1 to transmutations. Which should I train? Should I train both?

Now cross your fingers and hope you don't get double tele trap entrances.

##crawl-dev is considering removing haste as both a spell and a wand.

That seems like a pretty big change.

lmao why

Because fuck you.

In my opinion a line of Oklobs at the entrance is more fun than a fortress of oklobs, but that's just me.

sourceforge.net/p/crawl-ref/mailman/crawl-ref-discuss/

Basically because it's too strong an effect to have available to players at all times.

What was the discussion about in the con? Fixing the "Optimal player"?

>Lasty
Every god damned time.
I hope they realize this means they need to make post-end significantly less shitty. (They don't)

Just discovered this genre and im loving it, currently playing doomRL, anyone got any advice for me?

So far my best run made to level 3 of the demon base i think, died in the hole of spiders, fucking spiders everywhere!

I've never understood why that matters in a single-player game

don't forget that running is a thing

>balance is not important because it's single player
Just think about what you implied

doomrl tips:

you can shoot around corners that you can't see around. the game still plays a sound if you hit something so you'll know whether an enemy is there

most guns have an accuracy penalty for shooting shit you can't see, but shutguns never miss so they're great for this

>you can shoot around corners that you can't see around. the game still plays a sound if you hit something so you'll know whether an enemy is there
Yeah, figured that one yesterday.

I did notice enemies usually fire in the spot you where, so you can keep moving to dodge a few bullets easily.

no i mean you can change your stance to running for a speed boost

yeah that's a specific mechanic

running increases the chance to "dodge" like that, and there are also specific upgrades you can pick that increase the chance of enemies shooting at where you WERE instead of where you ARE

Oh, gonna check controls.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
MY WAIFUUUUUUUU!!!!

good

I wasn't even allowed a sniff of her demonic cunt before she was taken away from me.
I miss her so fucking much already.

Actually not this time, it was Brannock (the guy behind dream sheep and the recent mass-renames of monsters who literally just got onto the devteam) who first brought the idea up.

Don't you just love when this happens

fucking shit game

how am i gonna get a god now

Well this sure makes me not want to play TOME.

>playing old version
>not knowing what a secret door is

it's just tab

you can do it once and then you're "tired" until you go to the next level or use a healing item, at which point you can run again

it also makes you take half damage from floorlava

That's a new one

What?

Are melee Oozemancers with mindstars viable or are they just a meme?

No ID by D:10, or at most 1 unidentified one

I also just found a jivya altar on D:11. I didn't know that was possible

It's totally possible.

That too.

First 15 rune in over 2 years, second one ever

Mi really was easy mode, but at least now I have a full win as both a caster and melee. Damn those Shining Eyes in (M), one of them mutated me 5 times before I could kill it.

Hey guys, what do you call a Halfling in DCSS?

MiniMi

How do you guys not get bored by the time you finish lair,orc,swamp,spider/snek. I always find myself getting mind numbingly bored at that point

by playing games other than dcss

Because those are the worst branches. Everything's better after Vault/Crypt/Depths

why would you wear a +5str +6slaying ring that gives you rc-
it adds close to no damage and gives you a possibly fatal -resist.
when wielding a 2h at min delay that kind of shit belongs in lava

I often put Vaults:5 off not because my character can't survive it but because I don't want to get bored

Either you demolish everything immediately with AoE stuff or you grueingly single monsters and small groups until everything's empty

Didn't see any cold users after Cocytus. The orb run was extremely uneventful, nothing but red imps and one pan lord.

How do you single monsters out? Usually the stairs just get locked and you die.

>How do you guys not get bored by the time you finish lair
you do, after winning more than couple times in a period of a year or so.
by ten the best course of action is just to stop playing for a year and come back to see how much the devs have ruined the game in that amount of time.
i started up dcss after a long, long break a few weeks ago and after getting a few wins and a few deaths in extended it's just mind numbingly boring.

Nice joke, nigga.
The game is over after vaults/crypt/depths.
Or if you continue it gets boring again.

play a different game

>Hell is boring

If you watch someone else playing on Youtube maybe

>How do you single monsters out? Usually the stairs just get locked and you die.
if you have a few pips of stealth (2+), you can quite effectively run around the outer ring while peeping into the vaults and kill stuff in the fully walled sections/corners without alerting too many mobs
or if you get lucky you can get 1 of the vaults where you have a corridor or a killhole-type setup and just otab there and tele out when low, regen and repeat

hell is the most boring, most annoying piece of shit branch ever, especially in the newer versions.

>lol git gud rogulikes are not for casuals
Git gud means cheese the cheesey game in the , cheesiest ways possible

twenty bucks the first one is nulife

Where the fuck did he say that

what roguelike should i play?

dcss gets really boring after valts/crypt/depths

>none of all those rings was slow digestion

Well, I haven't lost anything at least.

>giving a fuck about digestion
>not playing as mummy for NO FOOD playthrough

He didn't directly say that. I'm saying that I find it funny that roguelikes are considered difficult and for hardcore gamers when the way to beat the game is to use cheesey boring tactics
>walk away
>rock away
>one by one in hallway
>dance around pillar to regain health
>run up and down stairs

They're not difficult, they don't require skill, they require patience which never truly pays off, because when you win you feel like you've cheated all those pillars you've ran around all those enemies you cheesed.

dcss

Hell is certainly the least terrible of Abyss/Pan/Tomb/Hell, but Hell effects are just annoying and after you dive through six floors of annoying crap to the bottom you finally get the the only decent parts of post-end: The Hell branch end-vaults, which have only a very few variations, some of which are rather similar, and some of which are just terrible- Slowly emptying Dis 7 end vaults which are packed to the brim with monsters? It's like snake end all over again, except with Torment.

>polymorphing into a mummy
disgraceful.

You're an idiot.

I can tell from here you're using extremely arbitrary definitions of "difficulty" and "skill"

nice rebuttal. I'm not wrong you jackass.

Ah, there we go.
The 1% chance.

You're in the roguelike general which implies you play roguelikes. So if roguelikes are easy, show us some proof to see what a supremely good player you are

>It's like snake end all over again, except with Torment.
more like
except with summoners summoning summoners and tormentors with hell effects tormenting you and summoning summoners and tormentors

You certainly are.
Roguelikes are not "for hardcore gamers" or "not for casuals". They're just games. You're pushing this idiotic ideal on them and then chastising them for not living up to your expectations.

When I win I don't feel like I've "cheated" or "cheesed" anything, I just played the game with the tools it gave me. I don't go into a roguelike with the expectation that it will give me "super-hardcore tactical gameplay" like you seem to, and thus am not disappointed when a turn-based RPG plays like a turn-based RPG.

>not having lichform for post-end

No, it's not that bad at all. It's just annoying.

he has a point through.
dick soup requires barely any "skill"
it's literally just a game of patience, a game of choice between "will i play the risky way and possibly die" or "will i play patiently without pillardancing, pulling single enemies and cheesing near every floor and die of boredom by the time i get my first rune"
ofc you can play the 1st way until you run out of blinks/teles but then you just kill yourself irl because you realize you have to play the 2nd way until you find more.

I got this.

>will i play patiently without pillardancing
meant to say
>will i play patiently by pillardancing...

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is not the only roguelike and most of that stuff he brought up only applies (in such a magnitude as to matter) to DCSS.

Really though, all you people who say DCSS doesn't require any skill have just played the game too long and it has become a roll-call of duties to attend to, so that it's easy, but you get bored and play stupid.
Play something else, post your 7 win streaks, >40k turn 15 runes, or shut up about it. It's getting really boring to hear about.

Oozemancers just use minstar mastery for the stat boosts. The actual fun mindstar melee class is Cursed.

The mindstar blades are just an insurance in case something gets too close.

You generally want to spam your spells as far away as possible

Especially when you can summon 4 shadows at once.

What game? Not sure if that's Dynahack or SLEX.

>mindstar melee as doomed
I haven't played since ~1.03, is that finally doable?

That's dynahack.
SLEX is colour vomit even without messing with the settings.

DCSS is the best roguelike ever created by (a) human being(s)
Other roguelikes are tryhard hipster garbage trying to cash in on the originality of rogue

Really painful in the beginning and even in mid-game but if you can get it rolling it's the best.

>I'd also love to get rid of the wand of heal wounds (sorry, DD)
>I want to remove a thing, thus rendering another thing worthless, so that needs to be removed as well
MEME MAGIC IS TOO STRONG

This better be a fucking mimic

>Really painful beginning and midgame
That's basically any Afflicted run anyway.

Alright, but have you considered not shitposting?

>I don't think we should nerf further, but rather remove the

Now it is easy to see how everything up until this point has happened.

Maniac Mode y/n? On one hand, it does make the game harder. But I don't like the fact that Agi for most intents and purposes becomes a completely worthless stat if you play it.

>the tale of the extremely slow retrieval of the heavy iron ball

I guess I'll call it a day, goodnight /rlg/

Is it finally your time to shine?

vaultless inhumane is the way to go imo.
goddess altar is a good part of the game and other than that, maniac doesnt do much other than make agi near worthless

>Bob-Bob Hardyoyo wrote
>A solid half of the low level spells are worthless crap
>> (Infusion, song of slaying, and spectral weapon)
Oh boy, baddie alert. In what insane world is +9 or more slay crap? It's obscene if you're using a ranged weapon too.

Song of Slaying is not going to get that high that often and makes a shitload of noise.

You should have instead criticized him for saying that Finesse 2: Electric Battleaxe Boogaloo is bad.