/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

Other urls found in this thread:

hcs64.com/mboard/forum.php?showthread=39&showpage=205
hcs64.com/mboard/forum.php?showthread=39&showpage=206
hastebin.com/raw/iganibigaz
dessyreqt.github.io/alttprandomizer/
youtube.com/watch?v=shqV0nimI14
pastebin.com/W2GmbuhZ
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Need_Games?
mednafen.fobby.net/documentation/psx.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

P.E.Op.S or Eternal SPU

I use peops but I still use ePSXe so clearly It Just Werks is good enough for me

You wouldn't emulate a car.

Why not?

You are emulating a car any time you play a driving video game

It depends on the game, a lot of them only like one of the other.

>I still use ePSXe

>all those cars driven without paying
>must be trillions of dollars in lost revenue

When are car companies going to crack down on all these lawless monsters?

Mednafen still doesn't have a WIMP gui that isn't a launcher

hcs64.com/mboard/forum.php?showthread=39&showpage=205

>He switched back to using Neil Corlett's PSF/PSF2 engine, which is less legal (it includes a Sony BIOS) and less accurate, but more compatible with the many, many broken rips out there.

hcs64.com/mboard/forum.php?showthread=39&showpage=206
>by kode54 at 11:32 PM EST on November 18, 2015

>Stick with whichever makes your rips work for now. It's not exactly 100% a Sony BIOS.

>In fact, take a look at mkhebios.* from the ESP or from the HighlyExperimental package. Basically, a selection of pre-compiled replacement modules, some patches against Sony supplied modules, and what you end up with is a transformation.

>Input one PS2 BIOS, currently the North American variety. Input the replacement modules and patches, originally defined on disk, but in this case, defined in a header.

>Output one 512KB module, which contains roughly 100KB of code and data.

>The goal of AOPSF is to play without all that.

>There's another PSF player, too. PsfPlayer, based on the Play! emulator project, which happens to have superior compatibility compared to AOPSF, and is also fully HLE BIOS, with some assembled MIPS code written for the replacements as well.

>Unfortunately, PsfPlayer, and much of Play! itself, is a huge orchestration of C++11 code, with some Boost dependencies as well, and it doesn't even compile with my current choice of Win32 compiler, MSVC 2010 Pro, so there's that as well. Oh yeah, and it only supports a recompiling CPU for now, so it's totally useless for embedded targets, like ARM for foobar2000 Mobile.

Why don't you use PCSX-R instead

>I still use ePSXe

Switch to pgxp.

Does Suikoden still crash?

More issues of devs not wanting to backwards compat. with old "dumps" in this case rips just because they think they're "broken"

Also devs bitching about new C++11 rather than using their favored ancient compiler of choice

When will they learn that they're doing exactly what we're doing and they're hypocrites for wanting to get rid of "broken" rips? I want them to get rid of their broken compilers.

and also

>muh catering to mobile

C++11 is shit though.

Glad I got a copy of HighlyExperimental before he took it down and replaced it with a choice between AO which plays virtually nothing because no one gives a fuck to rerip the music from every PS1 game again and the shitty Play! core that probably won't play everything because it's Play! and we all know what that's like.

Why? Can it not do everything old vers of C and C++ could do and just adds a bunch of extra crap that you don't have to use?

>More issues of devs not wanting to backwards compat. with old "dumps" in this case rips just because they think they're "broken"

They're broken if they don't function on a player running on real hardware or more accurate emulators. This is no different than the situation with ROM hacks, and the solution is to improve them to work on real world conditions instead of holding back emulation with hacks to make them work.

>Adds decoding support for Sega Dreamcast Sound Format (.DSF/.MINIDSF) files and Sega Saturn Sound Format

Are there any Dreamcast or Saturn game osts that are worth listening to?

It's just a bunch of syntactical sugar that's unnecessary. C99 and C++03 were good enough and would work on every compiler made in the last 15 years.

Which emulator is the one you use the most?

>They're broken if they don't function on a player running on real hardware or more accurate emulators.
Nah.

>This is no different than the situation with ROM hacks, and the solution is to improve them to work on real world conditions instead of holding back emulation with hacks to make them work.
That will never happen because hacks are released and support ends for them; you just leave the legacy core and if the psf doesn't work on the newer core you swap to the older one. you don't just say "sorry but ur rips r old, go dl them all again"

This is like instead of Windows 10 supporting games from say 2001 they just say "sorry, go tell the dev of this defunct game to update it so it works on W10"; it isn't feasible.

>This is like instead of Windows 10 supporting games from say 2001 they just say "sorry, go tell the dev of this defunct game to update it so it works on W10"; it isn't feasible.

That's already happened for games that used deprecated functionality in the Windows API.

Next you are going to complain about 16-bit DOS games not working on modern Windows too.

>That's already happened for games that used deprecated functionality in the Windows API.
Like what games? I have games from 1996 that work on W8.1

can't make a list atm, but yeah especially on saturn

>Nah.

Yes. If a Playstation game were released in 1997 that did not work on a real Playstation, it would have been considered broken because it would not work. It wouldn't magically become non-broken if some hackfest emulator from 5 years later could play it. No one cares if you are inconvenienced by this simple fact.

So this is the accuracy vs hacks debate again

Pretty sure foo_psf is still Highly Experimental

Why did someone say it was based on the Play! core now?

These aren't PS1 games though. They're rips of the audio intended to be played in a music player. If they can be then they aren't broken. The whole point of these rips is to play them, not to autistically update the rips every 5 years like MAME sets

He was saying that there was another PSF player out there that he hasn't used because of the stated reasons regarding its code and lack of interpreter support.

He only offers Highly Experimental and AOPSF as foobar PSF decoder plugins as of this time.

Oh ok. I just wasn't aware there were 3.

>They're rips of the audio intended to be played in a music player. If they can be then they aren't broken

The plugins used to play them were based on inaccurate emulation.

>The whole point of these rips is to play them, not to autistically update the rips every 5 years like MAME sets

Then you should have gotten MP3 rips instead. Emulation is all about progress, not stagnation for some user's convenience.

>The plugins used to play them were based on inaccurate emulation.
Sounded fine to me. Keep da legacy.

>Then you should have gotten MP3 rips instead.
Costs too much HDD space.

>Emulation is all about progress, not stagnation for some user's convenience.
Whatever you say, cashregisterdev.

How poor are you?

>Cost too much HDD space

1 TB or higher HDDs are cheap these days.

If you're that poor and/or third world, no wonder you cling so hard to old emulation.

you are a fucking problem.
maybe you should stop posting here.

Someone is mad. This thread is not your safe space.

I have 2 3TB and 2 2TB hdds. I don't want to have to get more.

Note: These people probably also complain about Mednafen not playing whatever broken ass dumps they downloaded back in 2003 or whatever (or downloaded today from Emuparadise...)

>not your safe space
yes it is. now fuck off with your silly hardware demands. nobody needs a tb.

Note: I don't use mednafen
I haven't played a PS1 game since 2008 or so

So MAMEdevs post on here?

Given all the retarded shit said about MAME that goes unchallenged, I'd say no.

The MAME community is like its own little universe.

The those six keys and the arrow keys seem to map to numpad keys when pressed in the GUI (at least with dinput driver)

They can still be mapped correctly in a config file though with insert, del, home, end, pageup, and pagedown.

hastebin.com/raw/iganibigaz

Thanks user, gonna try right now.

Emugen and The Tower of Science

I think much of the stuff said about MAME here is correct. It's stupid that they merged with MESS since the userbases are so different. It's stupid that they don't support old dumps.

What are some good games you can emulate and masturbate to?

With shaders? Anything

Do shaders make you feel excited in that way?

Is there a standardized seed for the A Link to the Past Randomizer that people use?

dessyreqt.github.io/alttprandomizer/

Also, when I minimize posts in /pol/ and Veeky Forums I can't maximize them by clicking the plus sign. I've tried clearing my browsers cache but that doesn't fix it.

>/pol/

why

Hopefully.

What happened to CATSFC-libretro? I actually used that shit.

They renamed all the Snes9x based cores to snes9xyear. CatSFC is snes9x2005.

Oh, what's 2002 then?
is it even faster?

>It's stupid that they merged with MESS since the userbases are so different.
It makes perfect sense from a code management standpoint. Accuracy improvements from home system emulators apply immediately to arcade systems, and the end users won't even notice if they're using a proper front end.

>It's stupid that they don't support old dumps.
See In MAME this is further compounded by the fact that people actually replace defective ROM chips in old arcade cabs using MAME's dumps, so inaccurate dumps are absolutely inadmissible.

PocketSNES. Yeah, it was originally a SNES emu for the GBA.

>if they're using a proper front end.
MAME has no proper front ends

> inaccurate dumps are absolutely inadmissible.
If it worked 2 years ago and yet suddenly doesn't work now due to some change you made in the code, it ain't an "inaccurate dump," it's your emu that isn't handling it properly.

>MAME has no proper front ends
Nice True Scotsman.

>If it worked 2 years ago and yet suddenly doesn't work now due to some change you made in the code, it ain't an "inaccurate dump,"
Thousands of ZSNES 1.42 patches on romhacking.net say otherwise.

Dumps of real games that ran on real hardware working on real MAME 2 years ago are different from rom hacks that arent real games and never ran on real hardware

>SNES emu for the GBA
jesus fuck
even the psp and dreamcast have trouble emulating that shit
i need a vid. now.
guessing it can emulate smw at 30fps no sound

They work for the same reasons. You can hack together an emulator that sort of works with a partial / corrupt / oversize dump, just like you can hack together a ROM file that only works with a simplified machine model. MAME has hundreds of playable dumps in their catalog that are marked as bad or incomplete.

A lot of times the people writing the code don't even have physical access to the arcade machine. They're huge and prohibitively expensive to transport.

Is playing Bust a Groove for the PSX without the music and game losing sync possible?

If MAME ever uses a workaround to make that game work on a simplified machine model then I propose it must always keep that simplified machine model in its code to support those old dumps that once worked. Either do it right the first time or support the hacky code forever.

youtube.com/watch?v=shqV0nimI14

This shader is really good and accurate. I recommend checking it out.

Post that on Bannister's forum and link the thread here. I'll bring the popcorn.

What's that fucking super EZmode MAME frontend with the flashy graffics and pack in romset? I'm sick of playing with mame, I've been sick of it for 10+ years.

>MAME
>pack in romset
How unless it's a 900gig dl?

It doesn't come with any disc images, iirc.

Are you telling me that Mamedevs are writing an emulator to emulate a game that they have NEVER played on the REAL HARDWARE? How do they even know what is correct? Are they just going with what "looks" right?

Since when do arcade games come on discs?

Sometimes. It depends on the driver. They have scrapped a lot of 10~15 year old drivers for more accurate ones, which that article seems to insinuate isn't the case. It's not like PCSX2 where they basically acknowledge their code is shit and do nothing to fix it.

Just grab Emuloader or QMC2, MAME from mamedev.org, and get the ROMs (not software list) and Extras from PleasureDome. They're free; you don't need to have any ratio.

The late 80s? LaserDisc was a thing.

Did they really put laserdiscs inside arcade cabs?

>They have scrapped a lot of 10~15 year old drivers for more accurate ones, which that article seems to insinuate isn't the case.
I think the guy being interviewed there is just kind of saying it isn't the rule; they don't go for perfect accuracy. He would probably acknowledge they will scrap inaccurate drivers but it takes some doing to coax people into making the more accurate ones and such. He is clearly an accuracy nut and thus for him MAME is no-go. Only the original will do because it isn't 100% accurate from release.

Nice.

In addition to laserdisc games(like Dragon's Lair), I think he meant more like hard drives. Many arcade games are pretty big and were stored on hard drives.

what gpu

Yeah, Dragon's Lair is literally a LaserDisc player in an arcade cab. Plus CHD+DIF images, which are hard drives with writes stored in a separate file.

I think they operate on a something is better than nothing principle. Like, Neo Geo and old Atari stuff is easily on par with SNES9x or Genesis GX Plus in terms of accuracy. 40 year old Soviet gambling machines maybe not so much, but nobody else is even willing to try.

Too much chromatic aberration. The text looks awful, I want to puke.

What's Chromatic aberration?

It looks like this.

Oh, well, it is meant to be viewed at a slight distance. At which case it's perfect. ;)

His sexual preference.

It's what happens when a color CRTs electron guns do not converge perfectly, either due to poor geometry or poor calibration. Poor convergence considered a flaw by most CRT enthusiasts.

>mfw my PC CRT has near perfect convergence

Settings:

pastebin.com/W2GmbuhZ

Got a PS2 and recently installed FMCB. Which consoles are accurate enough to warrant making a CD with roms for?

I have mac, pls don't kill me. I have pc back home too, but i'm stuck with the mac currently.

Anyway, what are some good games to emulate?
I already yoshi's island, minnish cap, and pokemon emerald.
What else should I get?

It would have to be gba or ds, because I don't think there are any psp etc. emus for mac.

>emulating using consoles
>using CDs to run your backups on PS2

>psp etc. emus for mac
there are

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Need_Games?

Mac has emulators for everything Windows does.

mednafen.fobby.net/documentation/psx.html

>PSF1 playback is supported. However, many PSF1 rips won't work as they are broken in various ways:

>*Contain malformed PS-EXE headers.
>*Perform unaligned halfword and word memory accesses.
>*Erroneously use load instruction target register as a source register in load delay slots.

Not a single fucking one for the PS2

No good emulators will ever use psxfin's cdz format.