Hey guys. This is my first time here, I just came to ask a quick question...

Hey guys. This is my first time here, I just came to ask a quick question. I'm writing a script for a short film set in the middle ages. The main character is an architect's apprentice. Now, I'm no history buff, but I figure he wouldn't refer to himself as an "architect". What would be the term for the profession at the time?

Any further tips are welcome, such as "for fucks sake, don't make that mistake all medieval films make!" and shit like that.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donato_Bramante
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_university.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_of_Saint_George
books.google.de/books?id=5pxrCQAAQBAJ&pg=PA441&lpg=PA441&dq=ingeniator middle ages&source=bl&ots=gwAiWLGEC9&sig=-8l69qvvf-bOp2s6N17-ATRa6tw&hl=de&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwit6Jyp_8LOAhUFWSwKHTRnCdEQ6AEIKjAC#v=onepage&q=ingeniator middle ages&f=false)
opac.regesta-imperii.de/lang_en/query.php
opac.regesta-imperii.de/lang_en/suche.php?qs=&thes=Baugeschichte&ts=&ps=&tags=History of building and construction&sprache=Englisch&objektart=alle&pagesize=20&sortierung=d&ejahr=
h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=29251
catalog.library.ucla.edu/vwebv/search?searchCode1=GKEY&searchType=2&searchArg1=ucoclc60266492
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why not just go full fantasy if you know nothing?

Like make him a member of the secret society of stonemasons that runs the world behind the scenes.

you could probably look up the etymology of it to find something suitable.

They wouldnt be speaking modern english anyway, its fine to just translate it into "architect"

Masons. They might have been schooled to receive literacy and numeracy, but most of what they learned was through years of apprenticeship.

In the renaissance education became more formalized, those who extensively used geometry and perspective to plan and rework designs largely on paper were generally called architects or engineers.

Example.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donato_Bramante

maybe you should do some actual research for your short film

but user thats not a fantasy
>Jews

I am, I was just having trouble with this detail.
Thankfully these kind anons have steered me on the right track.
These are also good points. The short will have some fantasy elements, but I want to ground it in reality as much as possible.

It's highly unlikely that there would be such a profession in the European Middle Ages, like this user said it wasn't until education became formalized that such a profession utilizing such things as geometry could be used. Unless your movie is set in Constantinople or in certain areas of Italy, then it would simply be a mason. Otherwise, your architect better be a Muslim. It wasn't uncommon for specialized professionals such as Masons to go throughout the Kingdom, employed by multiple lords. A mason could travel from one end of the kingdom to another as construction of new things was rare for a lord, so the movie might have lots of travelling.

It will indeed include traveling, that's very helpful information, thanks!

medieval people used the title master a lot.
master builder, or master mason would probably work fine and sounds cool.

It would also depend on the more exact period of the MA and the region of Europe itself. Having details would help locating some historical sources and mentions for a definitive answer and probably some local particularities and differences.

could be an italian architect hired by some distant kingdom

He would be a master mason.

You should read Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth, it's about a master mason in charge of building a cathedral

Wrong. European universities taught those things starting in the 11th century: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_university.
Problem is we know very little about Medieval architects since the lords building were more important than them. The most famous one was probably Master James: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_of_Saint_George

People are right about them being called Mazun/Masons though. Although the term "ingeniator" is also used - especially when the guys were able to build war machines too (books.google.de/books?id=5pxrCQAAQBAJ&pg=PA441&lpg=PA441&dq=ingeniator middle ages&source=bl&ots=gwAiWLGEC9&sig=-8l69qvvf-bOp2s6N17-ATRa6tw&hl=de&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwit6Jyp_8LOAhUFWSwKHTRnCdEQ6AEIKjAC#v=onepage&q=ingeniator middle ages&f=false)

>reading fiction to learn about history
Top lel.
Use this page to look for scientific works instead: opac.regesta-imperii.de/lang_en/query.php
Here I looked for some stuff in English for you:
opac.regesta-imperii.de/lang_en/suche.php?qs=&thes=Baugeschichte&ts=&ps=&tags=History of building and construction&sprache=Englisch&objektart=alle&pagesize=20&sortierung=d&ejahr=

>reading fiction to learn about history
>implying properly made fiction cannot be historically accurate

You're an idiot. The guy is making a movie set during the middle ages, which requires to know more about the era's ambiance and way of life than pure medieval architecture

>which requires to know more about the era's ambiance and way of life than pure medieval architecture
No, it doesn't the audience is not made of historians and so he doesn't need to be accurate. It's enough to confirm the pre-scientific ideas the audience has on the Middle Ages.
>You're an idiot.
Yeah yeah. Sorry I discredit the guy that wrote the book you got from your mum last year.
Here:
>In diesem populärkulturellen Mittelalterdiskurs ist wieder der historische Roman von besonderer Relevanz. Nach einer ZDF-Umfrage von 2004 erreichte Ken Folletts Die Säulen der Erde Platz drei der Lieblingsbücher der Deutschen. CHRISTINE KNUST (Aachen) untersuchte Folletts Säulen und seinen neuesten Mittelalterroman Die Tore der Welt im Hinblick auf die Darstellung mittelalterlicher Lebensbilder. Gegenstand der Diskussion war vor allem der Wahrheitsanspruch und die historiografische Rückversicherung des vom Schriftsteller Recherchierten (wobei Frau Knust zu Recht nuancierte, dass Follett recherchieren lässt). Die Beteuerung des „Wahrheitsgemäßen“ aber sei eine, auch kommerziellen Interessen geschuldete Beglaubigungsstrategie (Scherer) und resultiere aus Folletts Interesse an Realismus und Symbolismus, was Kontingenz zulasse (Keppler-Tasaki). Offen blieb in der Diskussion die Frage, ob die Entscheidung bei der Aufnahme bestimmter Mittelalterbilder beim Verfasser oder beim Rezipienten liege.
h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=29251

>No, it doesn't the audience is not made of historians and so he doesn't need to be accurate.
Agreed. Which is why the papers you link are useless and irrelevant to the discussion.

I'll ignore the rest of your post

>ignore the rest of the post that is about historians specifically dealing with Ken Follett and the images of the Middle Ages he conjures in his works
>Which is why the papers you link are useless and irrelevant to the discussion.
>stating this before you even read them
And this is how I now that you never set foot in a history department.

I bet you get triggered by GGS

>It's highly unlikely that there would be such a profession in the European Middle Ages

lol, even the Nidaros Cathedral in Norway started to be built in the year 1070 m8.

Oh yeah smartass so if I want this book:
>The reign of Henry VII : proceedings of the 1993 Harlaxton symposium

Well either I fucking do nothing:
>catalog.library.ucla.edu/vwebv/search?searchCode1=GKEY&searchType=2&searchArg1=ucoclc60266492

Or I magically obtain a campus library card for $500 per year for every library tjat might possibly have what I want.

This is why we need more Sci-Hub.