What's Veeky Forums think of XJ Cherokees?

What's Veeky Forums think of XJ Cherokees?

Junk

Junk

Junk.

.Junk

I like them

As an actual owner of one that I DD.
>pros
Fairly nice to drive for what it is, doesn't feel like a boat, can take a decent corner.
Is fairly light for what it is, most sedans are heavier these days.
Strong engine that with a little work gets much stronger.
Parts are fucking everywhere and they're cheap.
I think the earlier models look swank as fuck.
Huge aftermarket.
Nice amount of space if you fold down/remove the rear seats. You could comfortably sleep back there with a decent bit of cargo or fit two on a road trip or something.
Easy to work on for the most part

>cons:
The drivetrain might be bullet proof, but everything else isn't. A list of things currently broken on mine that weren't a result of abuse:
>driver door lock, now the door won't open
>vent switch is stuck on defrost
>cupholder
>console lid
>chrome on inside handle plates is peeling like crazy
>Speedometer goes out randomly
>hood arm rest
>rear washer system
Gas mileage is awful, I get a hair under 15MPG on average. To be fair it pretty much never gets less than 12MPG and that's in the worst conditions of cold as balls, city driving with 4WD on the entire time. Pure highway it does a bit better, I can squeak anywhere from 18-20.
Stock they're not good for much more than access roads that haven't seen maintenance in a couple years. Needs at minimum a dual axle swap in most cases for anything serious.
People say unibody is an issue but there's tons of builds that prove it really isn't unless you're a competition crawler or something.
Is shaped like a brick so despite have a decent power to weight ratio they're slow and suck gas.
High winds can be scary due to the above even when at stock height.
They don't stop very good even with fresh brakes and a properly working system. Usually not a problem as long as you're aware of it.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. I own a 2door '92. If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Samefag. Samefag who post the same crap and pics every offroad thread.

They are good little SUVs and you can usually get them for bargain prices. Though they are uni-body so dont expect them to do any really high stress crawling for very long without support. If you can find one in good shape for a good price id pick one up.

>I buy bolts from china/I jump my cherokee and expect it to be fine the pic

That was purely a retarded owner. Thing was up to the fenders in mud and they just yanked it out by flooring the truck.

Cherokees are like the 240sx of the offroad world.
If you change nearly every part they have, waste all your money, and modify the fuck out of them then you still have a broken pile of shit that kinda competes with stock 4runners

>Gas mileage is awful, I get a hair under 15MPG on average
What size tires do you have? I typically get 17 in town, 18 or 19 on the highway if I keep it around 70mph.

>Stock they're not good for much more than access roads
Depends on what you mean by stock. Unbolt the sway bars and they flex plenty, trim the fenders and they flex more. The biggest issue is most don't have LSD/locker in the rear. I hear all kinds of bad things about the D30/35 but I beat the crap out of mine and the only issue I've had was the pinion seal weeping after I towed it behind a Penske truck for 1500 miles

>They don't stop very good even with fresh brakes and a properly working system.
Consider a ZJ disc swap.

They are good little moderate offroaders. They drive better than alot of vehicles from its age/class but dont expect great gas mileage. I use mine as a little outdoors and camping vehicle.

Thats why you buy them cheap and just keep them mostly stock. OEM parts are cheap and used parts are everywhere so they are cheap to fix. These things are best used as a cheap 4x4 suv for the long weekend/hunting/camping-roadtrip/canoeing trip.

Not trying to turn it into a wrangler.

I live in CO so there's shit tons of hills. My city is small so most drives are less than 5 miles. Coupled with ethanol infused gas and high altitude it adds up to shitty mileage even for a Cherokee. 225/75/15R

I mean that your pic is about as rough as they'll do. So no super low traction environments like sand/ice/deep mud.

Maybe when I have the money to.

>sand/ice/deep mud
IMO for those three things tires are the most important thing. And locker/posi/LSD which most XJs lack.

Where do you live in CO?

What are you goin on guy people take Cherokees 100% under water and in deep mud ALL the time, and it all comes down to what tires you ave for the most part

>And locker/posi/LSD which most XJs lack.
That's kind of what I was getting at, yes. If you get some good lockers put on, I'd say an XJ with a few other upgrades is good enough for all but the most severe shit.

Pueblo.

They also get them stuck ALL the time because the second they lose traction they're fucked since they'll just sit there and spin.

You're fucked only once ya sit still and only retards off-road without a buddy with a tow strap/wench for gettin out

Designated parking

>Pueblo
I'm sorry user kek

That is an odd color choice for a vehicle.

>You're fucked only once ya sit still
Which happens as soon as you lose traction. Inertia only takes you so far when you're up to the grill in mud or water.
>only retards
I mean that's like 70% of the community.
>>Pueblo
>I'm sorry user kek
I-It's not that bad. A-at least it takes less than 15 minutes to get anywhere.

it's an ex us forestry truck

>no ecoboost

Bingo

We can do this all day user.

I'm from Co Springs, well I grew up in Falcon but close enough.