Have you mastered parallel parking, Veeky Forums?

Have you mastered parallel parking, Veeky Forums?

uh yea i live in a major city

>4+ feet of space
git gud

Nah. I live in low-population "city" (it's really more of a medium-sized town). There's not a whole lot of need to PP. Most large parking lots here are the diagonal one-way type almost every where. The times I did needed to PP are in spaces were you could easily pull in and still have a comfortable amount of space between cars. Motorcycles can practically park anywhere that isn't too retarded.

Yeah it's not hard unless you're a woman. And if you are a woman and can parallel park, well, that's amazing.

>dat Buick

I have a driveway/garage and my city has plentiful parking lots. Regardless, I am the best driver anyways so yes.

Former stealershit valet. I could get that thing in there with a quarter of the room.

I can parallel park if nobody is behind me, can't do it in fast city traffic with the fear of everybody behind me honking at me

i have never had to parallel park in my life

i have been driving for 9 years

I parallel park all the time in my city, on busy streets too! I have pretty much mastered parallel parking this giant peice of shit in the tightest spaces and haven't touched bumpers yet. and Hope I never do. sometimes I attempt to park in a space if its too small I find another

And no, I don't live in a shitty trailer park either. A relative of mine lives there

yes but i never do, i don't trust other retards

>Have you mastered parallel parking, Veeky Forums?

My car cannot be risked because other drivers often do love taps. While I have a steel bumper, it is behind delicate fascia. There is no "bumper" look to my car. The first thing to be touched is the chrome edging surrounding the grille. Half an inch more and the other car hits my grille. If it keeps crunching in, it breaks the fascia surrounding the grille before it reaches the strong bumper. It's all for style and looks, but it makes the car vulnerable. I wish the old days of the "obvious" protruding front bumper would return. A nice protruding front bumper would be able to absorbe the love taps. I know my chrome edging, grille, and fascia cannot.

I have no idea how to parallel park

No, I'm not a city cuck. I have zero practice and take twenty tries to get in so I'm the right distance from the curb.

>if it's not perfect it doesn't count

Could do it pretty well in my old car, not very sure about in my truck, though I'm pretty confident I could do it

>I have no idea how to parallel park

My car is parked perfectly without ever touching anyone's car. But I have the computer park the car for me. It even pre-measures the space to make sure it is big enough before backing the car into the space. It has all the sensors and even makes sure the car is close to the curb and avoids a pedestrian that jaywalks into the parking space.

yes, when I took my driving test 11 years ago...

I used my mom's Dodge Magnum at the time and had only a few inches to pare on either end.

I park in my garage and parking lots
These help me cheat parallel parking

>Have you mastered parallel parking?

I refuse to parallel park anywhere because too many people would bash their cars into mine. With all the cars from the past five years having low visibility, people just keep backing up or driving forward until their car touches the other car. I even see that going on as I walk by on the sidewalk.

Never had any trouble with it, although a RWD C-Class isn't the hardest thing to park

It's incredible how many people here either can't parallel park or never do. I have to parallel park literally everywhere I go except for the supermarket.

I didnt do it since I did my test.
I never got the chance and normaly you dont make it harder yourself when you have the chance to park normaly

Yes, I worked at a place for 2 years located on a busy road with street-only parking so you HAD to parallel park. Doing it 6 times a day, 5 days a week, you get pretty good at it.

Now I have steel front/rear bumpers, small-ish front stinger, and hitch receiver so I am not concerned in the least about people bumping my car when parallel parked. Their car is the one that will sustain damage.

I am the only person in the state of Georgia who can parallel park. Before I moved here, there was not a single person in the state capable of parallel parking.

>Now I have steel front/rear bumpers ... and hitch receiver so I am not concerned about bumping my car when parallel parked. Their car is the one that will sustain damage.

I added no words to your explanation. I am not saying you do that, but there are a lot of people in my area with hitches that will parallel park and bump into your car. My previous car was bumped by a tall truck and the top of the hose and hood lip were gouged. They hit and ran of course. If I see any hitches or steel bumpers, I don't park by those cars.

No desu

I live in a wide suburban area and never have too, unless I'm downtown which I hate urban driving in general

never seen that in my life, what is that? how do they help?

>mfw Veeky Forums constantly discusses heel-toe shifting, rev matching, motorsports, etc but can't fucking park their cars

did it twice, once in drivers training, once in the test.

i dont live in a city so I don't care about doing it.

>practiced parallel parking like it was the only thing I'd ever do on the test
>actually quite good at it but for some reason am shit at normal parking
>never do parallel parking on the test
>in fact never do anything on the test except drive on surface roads and reverse in a straight line
American driving test is a huge joke

No. I have mastered the art of not going anywhere I'd need to do it regularly.
I know how to do it, and my driving test involved doing it while reversing up a steep hill, so I CAN. I just don't like to, so I find a bay or don't go anywhere I would need to.

> Muh street parking
Where I live, people have driveways, or if they can't afford a house with one, they can't afford a car either.

> 2016
> Not living in a suburb with plenty of space and non-shit traffic

lets you see how close/ even you are with the curb.

>Have you mastered parallel parking
I refuse to park in those spaces because my car will get damaged. I would rather walk a block and a half and pay $12 for one hour of parking in a pay lot, and have done so plenty of times, to avoid parallel parking.

The pay lot may seem expensive to you, but it has a real attendant there watching the cars. The city has a problem with both black lives matter and homeless. If not careful, you get approached by BLM to pay "insurance" for your freshly parallel parked car. This is for keying insurance and is no guarantee they won't prowl your car after you give them $10 or $20 (they don't give change). I used to go to football games, but the amount of blacks doing parking insurance was so obnoxious that I gave up buying football tickets. The tickets are expensive, so you have to use them. Thus, if I don't get away from the car fast enough, some BLM type runs up to talk about insurance. They generally don't key cars of people they don't talk to so you got to get away fast.

So, I find the $12 per hour of the attendant parking lots cheap enough if I have to go to certain places downtown for business. So those of you who think your $40,000 salary is huge, okay, you live in the suburbs and work there too. But the money would be poorhouse small where I am due to expenses a lot of which is due to crime (a lot of taxes are due to offsetting crime), a lot of resources (security, power, higher insurance, parking attendants, night lights) are wasted due to crime, repairs due to crime, etc. So BLM causes a lot of expensive cost of living increases wherever they are active.

being sentenced to purgatory known as suburbia.

no thx.

The sad part is most suburbcucks willingly subject themselves to it.

>The sad part is most suburbcucks willingly subject themselves to it.
It's to both get away from the crime rate and to get to better school districts for our kids. White Flight is real. Get over it.

never did it a single time in my life

last time i did it (in between 2 obstacles) was on my driving exam.

Suburbs are awful. Please don't raise a kid in that

Yes, even with drivers who see me stop, see my reverse light and indicate to get into a spot, and still drive up my ass.

i'm ok at it

i had one of those on my car during my driving test

Better traffic than the city. Better roads than the countryside.
Shorter commute than the city, and than coming in from the countryside.
Better hard-line broadband coverage, better speeds.
4g mobile phone coverage. Signal all the time, even indoors, because that's where customers are.
Driveways for your car. No parking on the street, no homeowner's association, no crackhouses, and no farm traffic through the village. More amenities than just a pub and a church, roads wide enough to get deliveries down, and close enough to a store to do your own shopping and not pay for it to be delivered if you don't want the milk to turn to cheese by the time you get it home.

Evidently, you've spent too long living in a city and think it's normal and good to average less than walking pace, and burn a gallon of fuel doing it because you're running the AC to combat the urban heat island effect.

> Having kids
I'm not bringing a child into this society. They'll grow up coddled and useless, and end up a jobless uneducated NEET because robots will be doing all the interesting jobs and humans will be left giving each other haircuts and doing each other's nails and calling it an economy.

>Have you mastered parallel parking

Parallel parking is only necessary in the big town or near crowded cheapskate apartments where the apartment owners decided to have the minimum number of parking spots available and force people to use up parking spaces in front of other peoples' houses in the neighborhood.

It seems to be a common pattern now. Gone are the days when apartment investors tried to provide all the spaces on their own property. It's more profitable for them to obnoxiously try to transfer as much of the infrastructure cost as possible onto other people.

>crowded cheapskate apartments where the apartment owners decided to have the minimum number of parking spots available

There's one really bad shopping mall with narrow parking spaces and small driving aisles. Do not park at the ends of the aisles as the risk of getting hit is greater. That mall is also door ding territory.

Many years ago, there was a teenage girl at the orange julius stand in there. She dropped one of the food items on the floor and picked it back up for preparation. So no thanks.

>They'll grow up coddled and useless, and end up a jobless uneducated NEET because robots will be doing all the interesting jobs and humans will be left giving each other haircuts and doing each other's nails and calling it an economy.
Or you could not be a shit parent and they'll turn out ok

Two years of delivering pizzas in two different trucks in a state capital was, no duh, the worst time of my life. The only good things that came out of those two years were my lost virginity and my becoming a master at parallel parking

/pol/ visiting.

Beat the fuck out of those blm types if they're alone, then tell them they should call the cops

I've lived in Paris and had a car there

that's easy tier. cut the free space in half at least and it would be mildly challenging spot

>Or you could not be a shit parent and they'll turn out ok
There are lots of "solid" parents and the kids still turn out bad. It often ends up that the bad kids around those kids at school and outside of school have far more influence than the parents.

Protip for people who struggle with parallel parking:

>pull up parallel to the car in front of the empty space you will be parking in so that passenger mirror is aligned with the seam between that vehicles front and rear doors.
>cut your wheel all the way to the right and THEN start reversing.
>when your at the point where your passenger mirror is aligned with that vehicles rear bumper, stop and cut your wheel all the way to the left. Then proceed to finish reversing into the space.

That's the one thing I really remember from my driving instructor and it's worked extremely well for me for just about every car I've owned.
It's just a general rule of thumb so get out and practice a couple times with your own vehicle to find your own sweet spots.

>paralell parking on a one way street
>holding up traffic
>all eyes on you

I am proud of me last job

For some strange reason, I believe you

Parking normally is so easy, just pretend the parking space is a regular road you are driving down. Unless you can't drive in your own lane either

No disagreement with the other points, then?

>just pretend the parking space is a regular road you are driving down

If you touch the curb with low profile rims/tires, then the rims can get scratch marks. Stealerships use that to void any alignment warranty on new cars. My GM stealership does that and it seems to be a de facto policy as inferred by my GM chevrolet stealership's service advisor.

Just because someone doesn't comment doesn't mean it is invalid or valid. That's because circumstances vary not just within the same state, but also between different states.

Some states are still fighting and spending tax dollars on behalf of all citizens of that state whereas most other states have given up and save their tax dollars to mostly serve just the prosperous citizen areas and business community. In those states that are still trying to fight the good fight, your requirement is invalid when you require that you are correct if no one comments against you. In places that have given up and just ship their problems to other states, well, okay.

I've never parallel parked before.
It wasn't on the driving test, and I don't go downtown enough for it to be required of me.

I should really learn how... I'll probably just end up watching a few YouTube videos then setting up a couple of cones in an empty parking lot to test.

>It wasn't on the driving test
Ahh, my test instructor gave me two different parallel parking tests in his test drive through different traffic and speed zones. The first time, he tried to use the applicant's concern of the parallel parking test to hide his knife dagger to the heart! He told me to turn right onto a residental street. There were some bushes and such so he told me to parallel park in that gap. Of course, there were no residents' cars there because he's not so uncaring that he would sacrifice taxpayers' cars to be damaged during a test.

I refused to follow his instructions. I told him I cannot park there. He approved. Hidden behind the bushes forward of me was a fire hydrant. So you say, not much of a red herring. Just be 15 feet away. But if you park 15 feet away, you are within 15 feet of a different item - a street corner. There was only technically enough legal space for a motorcycle to park there. So that spot tested an applicant's knowledge of multiple things as well as alertness to notice.

His dagger flew past me and missed. I didn't succumb to his trickery.

>never seen that in my life, what is that? how do they help?

Some cars have a feature that simply aims the passenger side mirror downwards and close to the side of the car so you can see the curb by the rear passenger wheel. This helps you know how far away from the curb you are.

I'm british. Population density is too high in the cities, yet people still insist on living there.

And the countryside is full of tiny twisty steep roads you'll encounter Farmer Giles on in his tractor. Either an ancient one you'll fear will rust off and drop the front loader on you, or a massive new one the insurance gave him that takes up the entire road and could roll straight over your car without noticing.
Or, worse, Giles Jr on a quad bike with a dog standing on the back. Literally just standing on the luggage rack, not tied down or anything, ready to go herd sheep.

My car has that. They're called 'power adjusting mirrors', and you just scroll it down to where you can see the lines/kerb. Then back up afterwards to where you had it.

With a blind spot mirror, yes.
Without one I'm complete shit.

Called a blind spot mirror, they cost like $2 on amazon and are the best things ever.

My mom pulled a perfect parallel park at the beach in California. Made me kinda jelly. I've only ever tried to parallel park once in my life cuz AZ all my life and decided it wasn't worth it and parked around the block in a normal parking spot.

reverse in at an angle
apply hand brake
turn wheels towards gutter
step on the gas

True that. A strong kid will take strong influence from strong parents/adult role models but normal kids and below will always be influenced mostly by the people they 'hang out around'. I also feel modern parents aren't as strong role models as they used to be.

Tightest parking job I've ever done was this. I was looking for a spot in Amsterdam and there wasn't any space anywhere, but this tight space was exactly at my destination, so I just gave it a go.

It may not be perfectly at the curb, but the car was hardly on the street and didn't block anything. This is why I love having a tiny car.

>I also feel modern parents aren't as strong role models as they used to be.
The modern parents are too busy working and come back too tired to give much direction. It's not like the old days when one parent could work and the family was well off. As the gap between the wealthy and everyone else increased, the nature of working also changed for both parents.