/rwg/ Rimworld general

Boomalopes edition

rimworldgame.com/

RimWorld follows a number of survivors from a crashed space liner as they build a colony on a frontier world at the rim of known space. Inspired by the space western vibe of Firefly, the deep simulation of Dwarf Fortress, the epic scale of Dune, and Warhammer 40,000.

FAQ: ludeon.com/blog/faq/
Wiki: rimworldwiki.com/
Mods: ludeon.com/forums/index.php?board=12.0 (also check steam workshop)
Recommended Modlist: pastebin.com/gPWvMJVq (embed)
>/rwg/ IRC channel: #Rimworld at irc.quakenet.org
Please leave any suggestions for the OP pastebin as replies to this post

Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=25926.msg265293#msg265293
ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5509.0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1st for CCL update never

ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=25926.msg265293#msg265293

how's my colony doing, /rwg/?

Any tips that may lead to my prolonged survival?

unforbid the corpses in the top right, the hauling bots can cremate
the shotgun turrets cant explode when destroyed, dont be worried about putting them next to each other
beds touching the wall, not sure if it matters in these bedrooms though
crematorium in the storage area means you can just burn the corpses and get all the clothes directly in storage
cant see if you keep your turrets permanently on but if you do you can make the entrance to your prison lead to them so if prisoners try to run away the turrets just take them down

Currently constructing the idea for the prison entrance, got raided so i'm cleaning up the remains of that. Beds have not been an issue, but i'll change it if they start breaking from it. Crematorium will stay in the workbench room only because my storage is so infinitely full at the moment. Thanks!

FUCKING WOLVES

LEAVE MY PEOPLE ALONE

why not expand to the right and make your storage bigger

Fucking this, but I did say expand to the left for more growing soil. Your fridge looks rather empty.

Randy is pretty chill compared to Cass.

CCL when?

Do raiders not try to burn crops

or can you really do a castle setup with crops and non-essential buildings on the outside and a hardened core to defend?

What's your favourite biome?

Boreal forest

All other answers are wrong

Randy can be really nasty sometimes. Way nastier than Cass.

-100C winter start.

Go back to minecraft, filthy casual.

can wool parkas even cover -100C temps

>tfw no working complex space station mod

Camelhair tuques and parkas are pretty warm. Got one of my guys down to -130C comfy range.

>replace dirt with space
>replace walking around with EVAs
>nothing else changes because every settlement regardless of what biome its in must be hermetically sealed if you're smart
done

You're missing a few things
>life support systems
>airlocks
>space shuttle "caravans"
>space suits for outside construction.
>difficulty getting materials
>meteors for mining that move slowly
>impact warnings with meteors that will make contact
>mining lasers
>space station travel
>expeditions to surface
>ability to travel to either dangerous space or core space
>ability to trade with planets, including glitterworld planets
>recource management for fuel, life support system, fire supression systems, electricity
>solar panel roofs
>aliums

cluttermod for A15 WHEN

Ice sheets, everything else is baby tier.

Ice sheet are boring, though

Sure, they provide a challenge but sooner or later, you'll have mined everything and set everything up and all you can do is FF while dealing with the occasional "I was cold" chimpout

How do you survive ice sheet

Rush hydroponics and heaters

Kill starting pet, ensure parkas by winter, hydroponics/gravel patch for potatoes, nutrient paste, eat raiders if necessary, build in to mountain, pray for geyser, pray for wildlife

That's all I've got so far, my runs usually get fucked over because of one or two colonists having really shitty moods after a few months

>ice cheats
playing on anything other than tribal is maximum bab

>not going full eskimo

this whole general is contaminated with casuals

The comfiest biome.

The game's a casualized dorffort clone, what do you expect.

>not playing on randy extreme ice sheet tribal with deliberately shitty characters and no starting items

>randy extreme
>randy
the pleasure of playing the easiest difficulty in the game

>comfy
there's swamp everywhere

Yor biggest enemies are living in the same house. I did suggest not living people on attack mode when someone is about to break. Who am I kidding, someone is going to break every ten second if you arn't careful.

the secret to breaks is to make sure it's a minor break, which will cancel all their negative moods and then give them the +25 catharsis bonus

Swamps are comfy

Shrek pls

that doesn't happen anymore

A15c was a mistake.

>have to kill my animals to lower lag at 3x speed

Stop zooming out helps during 3x speed.

lol stop playing on a toaster user.

>Decide to Dwarf Fortress things up a bit
>Spend an hour designing heat trap that roasts raiders alive
>Spend most of my resources to make it
>Turn it on
>Game's shitty physics make it so no matter how thick the walls are, it can't get above 110 degrees
>Anything can just walk through without giving half a fuck

Great. Just fucking wonderful. There goes all my damn steel. I built 22 fucking heaters for nothing, cause unless I pull some battle of Thermopoly shit and have my guys hold the raiders in there until they get cooked alive, this shit's useless. Plus, I haven't had a non-sapper or siege raid in ages. I'm seriously considering pissing off the tribals just so I have SOMEONE to use this fucking thing on.

Is there any way to salvage this shit?

if you are fine with mods
ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5509.0
just the furnace one
it has no temperature setting, requires 1000W to run

May as well mod in a button that instakills all raiders while I'm at it.

Try modding raiders to be smarter and stronger as well then.

It's not about difficulty, it's about fun. I don't want a heat trap because it's effective, it's easier to just shoot the bastards. I want one, because it's more fun than just riddling them with holes. Modding in a furnace that makes things piss-easy is not fun. Jacking up the raiders isn't fun, either.

Honestly, this is my main problem with the game. It managed to copy all the boring bits of DF, like the micromanagement, detailed health and RNG, but it just refuses to add the fun stuff like letting you dick around with liquids, kinetic energy, heat, that sort of shit. Also, they decided to count the body as one part instead of an upper body and a lower body, so I can't pretend someone got shot in the dick whenever it says someone got hit in the lower body.

And, sadly, it seems the devs have no intention of going in that direction.

Also, it turns out I can just build a wooden wall in there, set it on fire with a molotov and somehow that burns hot enough. Because for some reason the heat generated from THAT magically doesn't instantly disperse through the walls. I think the devs did that shit on purpose to make housefires more of a danger.

It's called Space Base DF9

>negative mood buff for every bonded animal death
>1 universal mood buff for being master of multiple bonded animals

don't be afraid of love

>social debuff for botching someone's surgery
>no social buff for success

>over 160 boomrats manhunter pack
yea i am not taking the fight, i need a chokepoint killbox for this

>using killboxes
i'm so proud my boy ;_;
never let yourself be bullied by memes

>raiders arrive
>fight with the boomrats
>most of the boomrats are sleeping at this point
>raiders beat the still awake smaller group
>move in
>wake up the sleepers
>lose the fight
>some raiders run towards my doors
>beating the doors hoping to escape the rats
>die

ductworks updated so it's not as bad

ded

this thread will die when i say it dies. it is by will alone that i set this thread in motion

thanks

Is there any way to "encourage" human raiders to drop by and say hello? Specially pirates.

insult other villages

raise difficulty and lose weight

The pirates are always hostile; I found they're easy to recruit, that is the reason, I want to taunt them. There's also a hostile tribal faction, who hates my guts since I've settled, dunno why.

I might raise the difficulty... but really, what I want is, that mechanoids stop raiding me and humans do it instead. Mechs are fine to fight against, my defences are good, but I want more people.

raise difficulty and lurk 2 years before posting

>and lurk 2 years before posting
I'm probably stuck in Veeky Forums since before you could read, kid.

sure thing child, please tell me about your hot Veeky Forums memes

Pop idol pyromane.

I was here since that moot newfag was born.

who?

See? You newfags don't even know moot. Or W.T. Snucks. Or ever saw rule 404 for the 34 girl. I bet you don't even liek mudflops or had a shop da wop.

>year of the lord 2015+1
>still taking pride in knowing old memes
i don't even have a picture of costanza for this you sad child

Do you even post bathroom sinks fatherfucker?

Aside from the whole crashing into a jungle inferno and the leaking reactor slowly turning the place into wasteland, things are looking pretty good for the survivors. A herd of rampaging Muffalo came to the jungle, Nate and Titus blasted them to bits with the Charge-10s from the crashed weapons deck. Five of the herd survived and are being treated, we want as many large herbivore populations in this jungle as we can get, and muffalo will be very useful once tamed.

Stupid forced meme is stupid and forced.

literally nobody but you cares about how much of an oldfag you think you are sad child

>missing the point
The point is not if I am an oldfag or not. I've even messed a bit with the memes to imply "lol newfag". The point is that you are trying your hardest to impose your stupid shit over this general - your memes, your /v/tard-like aggressiveness, your "LOL I'M HARCDORE X-D" position...

Please, do a favour for the others and use a tripcode.

How many animals do you guys usually keep around, and of which kind? I like having them but training/feeding is starting to take up most of my skilled workers' days. And how long do volcanic winters usually last?

If I'm rushing to get off planet, just the one I start with. Else, about 13 alpacas/camels and 2-4 doggos.

The dogs are for hauling, yeah? Do wild boars make a good substitute or is there any reason dogs are better?

Doggos are ezpz to train and can haul a whole stack. Boars are better in combat and can eat grass but I let my haulers eat whatever and don't let them fight so that doesn't matter to me.

Pigs work too but still have less carrying capacity and are slow.

>chickens
7*colonists hens plus 2 roosters

>alpacas
No idea on amount.

Boars are faster, but they haul a bit less, 63 methinks.

Boars and labs have the same movement speed. Huskys are marginally faster but still slower than bears.

>bears
wolves*

>elephants have 300 carry capacity and can walk through dense forest unhindered

Worth? Or do they just eat so much hay/food that it's not worth the effort of keeping?

They'll only haul 75 at a time because Tynan but they're good in combat and can be sold for 400+ each so go for it.

>worrying about animal feed

>trade caravan leaves
>they go right through that one part of the map that i walled off with a forbidden door and shittons of traps in case raiders come from there
>they trigger the traps and turn hostile on me

On those very specific cases - where the player did what he was supposed to do, and yet he got a malus due to a bug - I'm all for cheating. Just open the dev console and make them friendly again.

>cheating
>ever

He wouldn't give himself an unfair advantage that way.

It is also acceptable to cheat if your doctor tears up someone's kidney while installing a bionic eye.

raiders burn crops

>visitors come day one
>they get hungry and help themselves to my survival rations
>they fuck off and leave me and my settlers scrambling to gather raspberries
>can't even sell them later

Yeah fuck you guys too

YMMV on this one... I do think surgeries need a bit of balance (reducing odds of failure at higher levels and increasing them on lower levels), and the failures should be less random than getting a surgical cut on the nose when trying to install a peg leg, but cheats-wise on this one you're always aware there is a risk on surgeries.

>trade caravan comes
>they hang right on the middle of my devilstrand farm
>THEIR MUFFALOS EAT MY 80% GROWN DEVILSTRAND

A ship part crashed and Cassandra gave me some bionic animal parts, there's a bionic animal arm here damaged to 20/50 from the fire, if I install it will my dog have a fucked up bionic arm, or is it just the box that's messed up?

Never mind, it's an actual bionic arm, not a foreleg, designed for the one tameable animal with arms. who the fuck keeps monkeys around anyway.