Is the R34 GT-R really as special as people make it out to be?

Is the R34 GT-R really as special as people make it out to be?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NWtd5je_kWk
youtube.com/watch?v=_00XAo1YbnM
youtu.be/S_FPBrTDeP4
youtube.com/watch?v=rBPPGxPuU70
zeperfs.com/en/duel265-108.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=eu7XV7LQrUo
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No.

Maybe.

It was a tech marvel in its day.

They are nice to drive.

They are practical.

They have great potential.

They look great (subjective).

They are an Iconic car.

Probably not worth the cost, but what actually is worth the coat nowadays?

Take it from a GTR owner (previously owned a 34 GTR in Blue), they are great cars.

>slower than a Cobalt

Kinda

i hate this "le r34 is le gozdilla" mayamy

>practical

It looks unfinished; it’s pathetically slow; it’s got a stupidly harsh ride; it drinks petrol; it doesn’t handle… in short once you look past the hype it really is a rubbish car. Be in no doubt – the towering legend of the GTR is built entirely on race-bred versions flying round Bathurst, massively modified cars being driven round the ‘ring by pro drivers and, of course, your mate’s cousin’s brother’s one that has a thousand horsepower. None of which have anything at all to do with the sorry effort that Nissan stuck in the showrooms. Fair play, you could say the same about Evos and their rally heritage but next time you hear someone talking about road-going Evos having bugger-sod to do with the rally cars on which their reputation was founded, remember that a standard, unmodified Evo is still a blindingly capable car.

>It's an episode where people who have never even seen one are contrarian for the sake of it

Why sent they practical? The seats are comfy. The boots big enough for everything. They drive comfy as shit. Easy to park. And the back seats aren't retarded (owned an A80 Supra as well, they have useless back seats).

The R33 is better than the R34 and R32.

Look wise, in my opinion the R34 looks the best.

I wish there was a car with similar specs available in the US

>Manual
>AWD (best system in the world, fuck Subaru)
>2 doors
>Turbo inline 6

The closest we have are RWD manual n/a V8s but that doesnt quite cut it imo.

>useless
>shelving/cargo space

That's where you put more shit, nigger.

No but srsly, can you compare the two, I really want to see what your opinions are on both.

AWD Supra conversion.

Is that even doable?

Just get a Celica GT Four and stop complaining about not having muh 2 more cylinders.

Yes, though not stock and not for the price they're going at now. You'd be better served in a R33 GT-R if you wanted to build a monster.

Can't boost a 3S-GTE like a 2JZ. Better off doing a BEAMS swap and boosting that after beefing the thing up.

Awesome cars and last of inline 6 turbos from Nissan..

Nice cars that were legend killers in their time. It's too bad americans will pay 70k for poorly maintained examples when we can finally import them.

70k? try 80

>Manual
>AWD (best system in the world, fuck Subaru)
>2 doors
>Turbo inline 6

Nope. As with all the jap cars, it's overrated as fuck by weebs.
An M3 blows it completely out of the water while being cheaper because no rice tax.

>N/A
youtube.com/watch?v=NWtd5je_kWk

>it's a nipshit racing drivers around tsukuba video
Disregarded.

Seats in a supra are useless. But the back seats drop perfect flat, and that is awesome.

I used mine for sub's in the supra, easy to get in and out.

As for the comparison between the two?

I'd daily a GTR again. I'd never daily a Supra.

GTR is excellent to drive, a bit nerve racjin at first with the HICAs system, it makes you shit your pants. But once you get the hang of it, you can wreck lap times.

But I find that the electronics in the GTR make it more like driving a computer or such. I had so much more fun in my supra, having to control the torque of that rear wheel drive when boost hits. It would easily spin 285 tyres in third under boost. And it was a handful. But the driving was there. There's a lot of spirit, or passion, or whatever. It felt real. They are heavy (in feeling, not literal weight) and you just feel secure and planted in them. And as stupid as it sounds, the dash. That's a huge reason. It seems gimmicky but when you sit down in it and everything is facing you. You really do feel like a pilot. Combine that with toggle switches for fuel pumps and ignition and what not. Its incredible.

If not for my wife and daughter I'd buy another Supra in a heartbeat.

As someone with 2 Celicas with 3SGTEs, they don't need a heap of boost. Mind you both of mine are ST185 Celica swaps. (Front wheel drive shit) and the 3S is too strong a motor for FF.

youtube.com/watch?v=_00XAo1YbnM
>BTFO'd on a straight

wew lad. Okay hamtaro time loving Mr.Supreme Gentleman

No Korean cars in tokyo. Why?
youtu.be/S_FPBrTDeP4

People honestly mistake the Skyline for some uber sikk race mobile when if you omitted AWD for RWD you'd have what you had with the Supra in it being: guess what?

a fucking GT car. They could've lightened it, made the most out of the HP limitations of the day, but no.
Like an user said before, an M3 could easily tank this overweight piece of shit no matter how many muh awd may mays you throw at it.

Put it this way: if you have to tune a car to perform decently, is it a good one? because in this case, the R34 is a massive fucking culprit.

>RB26 in a supra
youtube.com/watch?v=rBPPGxPuU70

What a good weapon for the Speed Violator

>renowned tuner making the car good has relevance in the discussion of the stock car

ah ok

>M3 could easily tank this overweight piece of shit
What M3? E36 weighs 3200 lbs and the E46 weighs the same as the R34; both have substantially less power. Are you thinking straight?

Not only would the GT-R take corners better, but it's much faster in a straight line too. Again, this is stock.

>R34 0-60 advertised as 4.5
Boost restrictor removed as it should be, no other mods at all and you're looking at almost a second quicker.
>E36 rated at 6 seconds
>E46 at 5.1 for the damn Euro spec

And before you call me out, yes, the euro spec M3 has 340 horsepower, which isn't substantially less. But it's still just as fat and isn't what anyone would call easily tuneable

zeperfs.com/en/duel265-108.htm

Oh, you wanted this? Okay

yep

>rekt by less power

I don't get it?

speed limiter

>M3 GTR
retard

>it didn't exist
youtube.com/watch?v=eu7XV7LQrUo

>it's a heavily modded R34 vs a stock E92 M3 video
Are you retarded to the point you think a 300hp i6 can beat a 420hp v8 on a straight line?
Yeah, you probably are.

>let me compare this production model to one off race cars
idiot

Well when the 300hp I6 is easily brought up to much higher HP than the V8 with less risk, cost and difficulty - yeah it can.

>N/A is faster in a straight line

>rides a bus

Are you fucking kidding?
Even the i6 on the E46 made more power than the R34 if tuned.

But who cares, we were comparing stock cars, not modded.

>$250k loophole exploit they only made 10 of
retard

ITT A bunch of people that have never driven an R34 GT-R

>fixed

>it’s pathetically slow;

It's faster than a 996 Turbo S in the corners. If you got the Nismo R tune package to get power up to what it should've been (~450 HP) it would've easily beaten a 996 Turbo S.

>it’s got a stupidly harsh ride;

You clearly have never ridden in one because if you did you would know that this isn't the case at all on stock suspension.

>it drinks petrol;

If you stay off boost fuel mileage can be 22 mpg with a stage 1 tune at about 400 HP no problem which is absolutely fine for its time. And if you're complaining that the car drinks fuel on boost stop drag racing every retard at traffic lights.

> it doesn’t handle…

More reasons why I know you've never driven one. Even in stock form it was easily better in the corners than the 996 Turbo S because Nissan wasn't constrained by the need to make a rear engine car.

Try 100k. The R34s are already 70k from Canadians driving up demand.

The R33 series 2 and 3 has a lot of commonality with the R34 already, even the steering wheels are interchangeable.

But it just doesn't make sense to try and tune the RB26 for any more than 600 horsepower. Especially once you start considering fuel economy and emissions. For street use the RB26 does best at around 500 horsepower max. 1000 horsepower drag runs are cool but boost doesn't come on until like 5000 RPM.

Nope, 40k-60k at least. 60k+ is "no low ballers I know what I got" territory. Only seen one BNR34 go for 30k CAD at one point, probably "SIKK MAWDED" or shit interior. Better off importing one from Japan than buying it off the local classifieds if you want to spend less.

bravo user

GTX3576-1.06TS is the optimum turbo for the RB26

That's definitely not the case if you want something special like an M Spec.

That's a bit on the high side. The R34 N1 turbos are sufficient for 500 or so crank horsepower.

it's not that big, but maybe it would be better on a street 2jz

It's also not really made to be a drop in replacement for the stock twin turbos if you want to keep an OEM look as far as I can tell, motive seems to suggest that it's for high mount single turbo use only.

yes, only assmad corvettecucks would think otherwise

>europoor assrage

top kek

can you belive this cuck drives a diesel fwd cuckbox?

Shit nigga, thanks.

I'm honestly surprised about your thoughts. I expected the reversal of what you thought of both.

Been saving for years for a LHD 6spd Supra or when the R33 becomes legal in the states. Been dreaming of the Poopra for ages and might just go with that.

I've also read countlessly from years of research the Supda just feels a lot better in terms of build quality. With the R33, you can tell Nissan tried to lose weight in a lot of areas; again, from what I've read from people who have owned both, I've yet to pop my cherry in a MK 4 or driven a R33, only a 32.

Smokey Nagata basically did engine swaps for the fuck of it.

His R33 GT-R infamous video of him doing 250+ km/h was 2JZ powered.

It's more of a "look, my company can do insane shit".

To be fair the 2JZ GTE was a better engine than the RB26. No shitty oil pump, oil starvation is very rare compared to the RB26. Later versions also had VVT which never came to the RB26 unless you count HKS VCAM.

The R33 GT-R actually was probably a better design than the R34. The longer wheelbase ultimately helped with stability and weight distribution.

From years of researching, I came to that conclusion.

I'm:

Yup. The only thing that the RB26 has on the 2jz is having ITB's stock. However since I've never driven a 2jz powered car, idk if that even makes a difference in response.

plus an awd version, thats pretty cool since i don't know of any awd oil pans for the jz

It's sad that it's underrated

I'm definitely not sad, it helps to keep the R33 prices low and doesn't attract as much attention as the R34.

It's fairly easy to get most of the R34 benefits too. The R33 can fit the R34 rear diffuser with almost no trouble, Nismo will fit a brand new Getrag V160 in an R33 as well. R35 brakes are also an option and will be better than anything normal R34s shipped with.

Other than that the R33 is down on body rigidity and power, but there are a lot of ways to improve this in the aftermarket.

Other than the MFD the interior between the two is basically identical. Nissan was basically bankrupt when they were developing the R34 so they couldn't afford to really go all out.

>Brings up an engine completely unrelated
>Thinks its easier, common and less expensive to boost up an S54

Huh? I don't get it, you said you'd never daily a Supra but didn't see any reason why.

Less space?

Ignoring all the shit you said except for

>GTR owner

Bread on hood, faggot

tyte/10

My post was a quote from someone who has owned and driven both an R34 GTR and an Evo VI. Why are you comparing it to a 996 Turbo S?

Would you take a BMW E46 M3 or R34 GT-R?

All the GTR's are fun in their own way, in terms of bang for buck they're pretty hard to beat as well. You get a lot of car for the money and about the only complaint is the upkeep, they're a bit of a money pit, not nearly as bad as a lot of the equivalent european cars though.

>They look great (subjective).

Objectively they look like a brick with some lines here and there

R34 GT-R for track, E46 M3 for daily.

It'd be wrong to boost an E46.

Probably time to dump some pics of that time I saw a bunch of those "uncles brothers fathers" 1000hp Skylines.

Yes, it is way more common in the civilised part of the world.
Stop living in wonderland, you delusional autistic weeb.

>civilised

I don't think so, Ahmed.

t. burgerclap

god i love engrish automotive slogans

He was there with a buddy too

ENDLESS

OUT OF LIMIT

I guess thats me pretty much out now anyway.

If I lived in a alternate universe where I could legally get on in the US I'd take the R34 hands down, but only because I'm a Nissan Cuck. I still maintain that the E46 M3 is one of the best looking cars ever produced but I think I'd be more at home in the Japanese shitbox.

R34 is 14 years ago. What car that we can buy today that will ticks all those boxes in the next 14 years?