Is German engineering actually superior, or is it just more complicated?

Is German engineering actually superior, or is it just more complicated?

I heard they made some pretty good showers.

its a meme

I can't speak for cars but in the realm of motorcycles it is largely a meme. When their bikes work properly, they work incredibly well. In fact, I think most would argue they are the best bar none. But the reliability just simply isn't there. Every year, every new model, it's the same bullshit. A million different problems with a million recalls and a massive headache. I guess that's what happens when you try to combine so many high performance systems.

Nazi engineering is, most of the time, best engineering.

Heil VAG Gods.

pretty retarded comparison user, porsche could make a stripped down track toy too, but the 918 is both comfy as fuck and still fast as fuck

>Vag
>Gods

Never seen those two words in the same sentence before. Hmm.

Maybe he wanted an excuse to post cute girls + German hardware

My friend's Volkswagen was starting to rust, and now he's bought another one. From what I've heard it's hard in Canada to find replacement parts for German vehicles, so usually people who buy German cars pay a lot for them, drive them until they're very expensive to fix, then sell them for cheap.

Over complicated. Works well, but they can't get it to work for long.

One thing I would say is that Volkswagen tuning is WAY more tasteful than Japanese tuning generally.

"generally"

it's high performance and nothing is done cheaply. However if you do not perform the proper described maintenance in the 1200-page owners manual to the exact letter using OEM parts and fluids, it will be horrific and explode in every orifice possible.

Examples:
BMW has a clutch system on their alternators so they don't spin and 'waste energy' for 'fuel savings' at highway speeds. This has heavily contributed to programming that results in AGM batteries being replaced every oil change.

some 90's Mercedes had a single windshield wiper instead of two, which used a cam to extend the wiper out to the edges and cause the wiper path to follow an oblong pattern. this cam/wiper system needs to be greased regularly (every 20-40k miles give or take) or it burns out a motor that needs the dash to be removed to access.

Audi timing chain routes

Mercedes canister oil filters and 7-8 qts of glorious synthetic

Mercedes dual-ignition on basic V6 engines

Even modern Audis have their automatics explode in under 100k

even BMWs older than 10 years old require their batteries to be 'registered' with the on board computer

Volkswagen ALH TDI's are god tier for reliability

a side note:

I feel like Swede Volvo engineering takes the best from the Germanic sensibility but makes them simpler and with a higher tolerance for neglect

VW engineering is a shit.
It looks and feels nice though.
BMW engineering a god.

It's just more expensive and the companies live from the reputation they got 50 years ago. Nowdays I wouldn't buy a german car and go for a rice bowl.
MfG

German engineering all assumes the existence of a massive infrastructure to nurse their klutzy, overwrought shit back to health. So you can buy a German car in total confidence, as long as you're IN GERMANY. If you are in the USA or, God forbid, Africa, then you've got problems.

t. American living in Germany

90% of the statements made in this thread are right, even the But I swear, some Mercedes models are crazy popular in Africa because of their reliability and ruggedness.

Mercedes before the 90s was generally a rock-solid, simple as hell drivetrain with great build quality and some weird bullshit that inevitably fails but doesn't really affect the utility of the vehicle, especially in an Africa context.

Vacum-powered windsheild wipers or electrical dash problems aren't an issue in Africa, since if they fail, lol who gives a shit, you aren't going more than 40mph on Africa roads anyway, and you can check the gas by sticking a stick in the tank.

Just about everything MB after the 90s, (i forgot the chassis code), is a shit show tho.

The really awful thing is owning a nice old Mercedes has gotten almost as expensive as buying one new since you have to undo 20-30 years of neglect from poor people trying to fake being wealthy.

The bio-diesel fad didn't exactly help, since it put generally well-taken care of models that weren't interesting to nigs&spics in the hands of feckless hippies who immediately ceased riving them and let the fuel system corrode as soon as gas got back below $4.