What should I do?

I am a new-ish driver, 18 years old, and I drive a 2003 Pontiac Bonneville (pic related).
I live in Maine, and this past winter I've started noticing that maybe this car isn't for me. It's a beautiful car and is very powerful, but it isn't that good in the snow. I've spun out twice this winter, and my car will not go up hills, not even small ones, unless I can go fast. Maybe because it's Front Wheel Drive?

I want to sell it and buy a 2006 Scion XB. I like how the scion looks and feels, and it's 4WD, so it can actually drive me up hills during the winter. I originally wanted a Subaru WRX, but they're too expensive, and I really like the Scion now. Am I making a good choice?

sounds like a good idea. what are you worried about? its a better made car and newer.

I know but I don't really know much about cars. I've never posted to Veeky Forums before. I think my car is just better suited for warmer climates. I really like the Scion XB, but I wanted some insight on my opinion first. I don't want to make a financial mistake of buying a shitty car.

then go for it.
i like the legacy more than the wrx by the way.

lmao Americans

buy winter tires you fucking idiot

I did and my car still couldn't get up hills. Even in first gear.

you euro poors do not even have a garage most of the time. where do you store your winter set?

lol what?
>bald ass tires because you're a poorfag
you obviously need tires with tread on it

AWD Scion XBs were released in Japan only, so are you sure you found one?
If you cant go up a hill in snow tires, re-evaluate your driving
Why would you go from a wrx to a scion?

The WRX is too much money, and I think I just like the Scion Xb more. I knew the AWDs were only released in Japan, but this Scion from the dealership is 4-wheel drive, not AWD. It's only 5k

If it's a part-time 4WD system, it's not really designed for on road used except for heavy snow. I litterally cant find any information on a Scion XB with 4WD so I can't tell you if it's what you want
An AWD car is much better suited for light to moderate snow on road. Especially a Subaru. You could still go for an impreza, legacy etc.

Modern 4WD systems work better for on road purposes, but you wont find a car for 5k that has that set up

Well I'm not looking for offroad. I'm just looking for city-highway driving, which is what the Scion can do.
Also, in the ad for it, I actually misread it. It does say FWD. Is this good for going up hills in the snow, or will it resist like my Bonneville?

i cant see it doing any better. it might have narrower tires which are better in snow. other than that, no

You really don't know shit buddy.
Ii'm trying to fucking tell you that 4 wheel drive is different from all wheel drive and it's not what you want for your DD.

It would be stupid as fuck to go from one fwd to another fwd

Honestly, are you just a troll? I'm feeling got right now, no one can be this stupid

he is 18, im going with stupid over troll.

he could look at foresters, legacys, or non turbo imprezas (rare as those are) maybe something like an escape? nothing crazy

ok but why can't my Bonneville go uphill in the snow? I put all-season tires on it.

Do not buy some retards hackjob fwd-turned-4wd shitbox. I can assure you USDM Scion xB's were never factory or otherwise 4wd. In that price range there's plenty more you can find, look elsewhere.

because all seasons are not good for anything. he means snow tires for the snow.

like blizzaks or firestone winterforce

Can snow tires be driven in the summer too?

OP quit being dumb and buy snow tires for your bonneville. Don't try to argue because you clearly know nothing more than a few buzzwords about cars. There problem solved.

of course but they will quickly become bald
kinda waste of money if you do that

What if sell the Bonneville and put snow tires on the Xb?

Also the Xb is made by Toyota so it's more reliable

do whatever you want.

The xB is a gutless fwd turd. At least you have a fwd turd that's roomier, more comfortable, and better to drive. Just buy snow tires for the Pontiac.

Or just do whatever you want, it's your mistake to make don't listen to us.

holy shit dude if you want some hack job 4wd Xb then do it. IF the Xb is 4wd (I doubt it) then that means it was put together by some backyard mechanic. Which means no, it will not be more reliable. Just because the online ad says that its 4wd doesn't mean it is. It means some clueless salesman made the ad and is looking for suckers (like you).
But if your only reason is because of the snow, then just get snow tires.

Ok ok but the Xb has a lot more room because it's a wagon so I could go camping in it or something.

Also my Bonneville has transmission problems. If I want to go uphill normally, I have to continually press and release the gas for it to shift gears, and when I first leave someplace, it takes a few seconds for it to shift from first gear. It's weird.

thats right, do not buy a subaru. all the thousands you see there are all wrong. the scion must be better.

subarus must be overpriced because no one wants them?

do not listen to anyone op
flush the tranny fluid and get tire chains.

If you're just gonna keep making excuses for it then get the xB, but if you come back here whining about it later we're all going to collectively shit on you for not listening to us. For 5k or whatever your budget is there are hundreds of 4wd SUVs and stuff that'll be way more suited for what you want than a fwd tin can.

Ok you all drive a hard bargain so I'll forget the Scion and keep my Pontiac.
However, the bumper is cracked, so I'll have to buy a new bumper.

rockauto.com

Thank you

Look up NA Foresters or Outbacks. they're pretty easy to find cheap, and they're good in the winter. Just make sure the timing belt's been done, and check for oil leaks. If there's any oil spotting underneath the car, walk away.

1: Scion xB's are also FWD. They are NOT AWD or 4WD.
2: FWD is great in the snow. Just get some snow tires for winter.

THIS
as far as i know xBsare just fwd. buy winter tires fwd is fine in the snow. hell i didnt use my jeeps 4x4 half the time in a minnesota winter

buy a honda crv, toyota rav4, or a jeep cherokee ffs.

Ok then I'll consider an Xb and give my girlfriend my Bonneville when she gets her license

everyone who has a jeep does that. nobody leaves 4x4 on that much

exactly, leaving her in RWD with goodyear all terrain tires and a few sandbags can get anyone who can drive thru most winters

>as far as i know xBs are just fwd.
Only Japan, where it was known as the Toyota bB, got an AWD variant. American models are ALL FWD with a 1.5L engine and use the chassis of the Toyota Echo (pic related)