Looking for something fuel efficient

Thinking Prius but friends say I should get a Volt. I have no clue about cars and just want to get from a to b as cheaply and comfortably as possible that is safe, reliable and cheap to fix and maintain. Any advice?

>Any advice?
Yes.
buy a RWD performance vehicle with a manual transmission or get out
that's really all we know here and your criteria make you sound like a massive fag who doesn't want to go fast

Civic

Hybrids are going to not be cheap to fix or maintain.

So get a Geo Metro while wearing motocross gear.

>want to get from a to b
gay
>cheaply
gay
>safe
gay
>reliable
gay
>cheap to fix and maintain
gay
>comfortably
okay
buy an M5

It's true, I don't care about cars or how fast they go. I view them as tools, like a hammer, and you guys.

toyota echo
like said, hybrids aren't cheap to fix

If you want cheap and reliable just buy a 10 year old Corolla or Civic. Why spend 5 times the money just for a new car that does exactly the same thing?

Honestly just get an economy car like a Fit or a Yaris, if you take good care of them they'll out last a Prius or Volt by years for a fraction of the cost.

How long is your commute? Under 35 miles? Can you charge at work? Do you live in a house where you can install a car charger? If you answered yes to these, get the volt. You'll use no gas except for maintenance burn.

The volt drives better than the prius. Never had a problem with mine other than taking it to get an oil change once a year.

Thanks for actual useful advice guys.

1999-2006 toyota corolla, my friend. it's the quintessential A to B.

buy one off craigslist with less than 130k miles and you should be golden

don't listen to these autistic boyracers. to some people, cars are simply utilities and that's fine. and the cars that fulfill that purpose deserve to be appreciated for what they are. not everyone needs a 2-door sports car with a supercharged V8 and a manual gearbox.

fuck priuses tho

Thanks bro

I'm not OP, but I already have a 1996 Toyota corolla manual transm
mission, but my daily commute is 66 miles round trip, and it is pretty annoying filling up every 4 or so days. I'm sure I could get more MPG with a new set of tires, and an alignment... but the car was only 1k so I'd rather put my money in something with even better MPG potential.

I've heard 90s civic hatchbacks get 50 MPG, but dat ricer tax... anything like this for a good price?

An E39 M5 is not a comfortable commute car. You'd know that if you've ever owned one.

Honda crx has the best gas mileage out of any car of all time

Other than that get a used prius/civic hybrid

I've never owned an M5 specifically but I do own an E39 and it's a very comfortable car.

Buy a diesel.

I HAVE one still and say your wrong. What the fuck are you even talking about? Loadsatorque, super comfy interior, amazingly soft-when-needed suspension.

Just get a small diesel, bam 50 MPG.

i own an e39 m5, its very comfortable. drove it from austin to boston in under 40 hours, no problem

Drove my 530i from Chicago to Denver no problem. Even slept in it, I pulled the passenger seat out and slept with my legs up on the back seat. It was comfy.

slept in mine too. just reclined drivers seat, used sweatshirt as pillow, was totally fine.

I'd say, look at manual Golf/Jetta Mk5 TDI's. The emissions scandal should have taken quite a bit off their resale value.

They're all 4-5k, need fuel pumps, and have 250k miles with questionable engine swaps. That's the ricer tax I was looking to avoid.

same user here, and I have some possible solutions for you.

1. perhaps you do this already, but try shortshifting. since you have the manual, make use of it by shifting at around 2k rpm. you won't feel any torque whatsoever but you won't burn so much gas. also try driving 5 miles under the speed limit in the city, as you'll save more gas if you take it easy and don't speed everywhere.

2. replace your filters, most importantly your fuel filter and air filter. from what I understand, your mpg's will suffer if those are filthy.

3. search for a car dedicated to fuel efficiency. among these are the aforementioned toyota echo, civic hatch, and CRX, but also look into the honda civic HF, honda insight, toyota starlet, suzuki swift, suzuki forsa, and dare I say.... geo metro. that's just off the top of my head, there's more out there

but the problem with number 3 is that they're usually harder to find, either because they're not very common, they're beat to shit or riced out, are heavily rice taxed, or it's just impossible to find one with low enough mileage. but hey who knows, you might get lucky and find yourself a gem for a good price

here's the rule: try to find a car with a 4cyl engine with a displacement of 1.4, 1.6, or 1.8 and no turbo/supercharger and you'll get some dank em pee gees.

these are just some ideas, I don't claim to know everything ever so feel free to correct me or go further into detail

You've also never driven a Prius.

Fact: They both drive shit.

I'd get the 4th Gen Prius simply because it 's more economical than the Volt.

Fit, Fiesta 1.0l, Sonic, geo metro, old as fuck corolla, bicycle, walk.

Talking out your ass or you're a 300lb sack of shit, probably both. The E39 M5 is supremely comfortable. Know how I know? Because I just fucking drove mine an hour ago.

used prius is a great commuter/shopping cart

boring as fuck to drive but care and feeding is cheap even for my 2008 model

wouldn't buy a new one though, like any brand new car it's a huge waste of money if you're spending your own after-tax shekels on it

get a Turbo Diesel
and the E39 M5 is comfy fuck that guy.

No car is going to be worth it. You'd essentially have to get it for free to break even on gas in a reasonable amount of time.

Keep what you got and drive a little bit slower. Anything you buy will take you years to get back in saving for what you paid for it. That sentence doesnt make sense as I read it but it makes sense in my head.

Drive slower, get some low resistance tires, seafoam your shit m8.