Sup Veeky Forums

sup Veeky Forums

Yesterday i was getting out of an underground parking with my manual car and the exit ramp was VERY STEEP, like going up 1 floor in like 10ft only

I started going up on first gear and the cluth was completely out (fully engaged) and i was going up i started hearing the clutch slipping then the car would stall even with my foot all the way down on the gas. I tried once more and the same thing happened.

Eventually i simply just stayed in the middle of the ramp where i stalled, put on the hand break and revved the engine to like 5000rpm and rided the clutch up, which worked but there was a very strong burnt odor.

Anyway why did this happen? Is this normal for manual cars to stall by themselves on very steep hills or is my clutch fucked?

Hoy clutch is fucked m8.
It's slipping by itself.

hell no its not normal for a car to stall. you might need a tune up.
my car has all of 90 hp and it will not stall in the same situation

Your clutch is at the equivalent of wearing deep groves into your brake rotors by braking with just the calipers themselves. You need a new one.

Manual stronk!

New clutch time bby

>americans in charge of driving manuals

Shitposting butthurt autocucks pls go

You might have to go up to like 3000 or so rpms which is what I do on my Honda Civic with 110 horsepower but 5000 seems excessive. Could indicate a problem with the clutch or engine problems

i probably overdid it by going all the way to 5000 but there was cars behind and i didnt want to stall again but is it normal to just fucking stall going up a hill if the clutch is fully engaged?

Is this an engine problem or a clutch? also when the clutch slipped it immediately stalled

You probably just need a new clutch, but have a silly story anyway.

>Be me
>Buy first manual car
>Easy to drive compared to friends car that I've driven a couple of time
>Second day come to a hill, not even that steep, on a busy road
>Get stuck at red light
>Here we go
>Light turns green
>Stall it
>Fantastic.jpg
>Car is old as shit so every time I have to take the key all the way out and put it back in
>Proceed to stall like 5 more times
>Finally get pissed enough that I rev the shit out of it, ride the clutch and finally make it
>continue to accelerate with my foot to the floor
>huh I havent had to shift yet
>look down
>in fucking 3rd gear

Sixty people must have went around me while I was struggling, glad I was the only person in the car

Lol
You never go up a steep hill with the clutch fully engaged.
If the engine stalls like that with the clutch fully engaged then there's nothing wrong with your clutch or engine. The problem is with your technique.
You needed to engage the clutch half way while maintaining engine speed at a moderate pace to not stall and keep your car moving.
It's normal for a clutch to smell when in this situation which will not cause damage unless it's done on a daily.

is this true anons? is the only way to go up a steep hill on a manual by riding the clutch?

No you fuck. You partially engage the clutch to get going and then you fully engage after attaining speed. It's the same as usual just use more power and be more aggressive with he clutch because you need to overcome gravity.

No. You would need to slip the clutch to start out on the hill, but once you get moving and above a certain rpm you shouldn't need to ride the clutch. Just apply more throttle. My 70hp shit box doesn't need to ride the clutch all the way up a hill.

Hes a retard something is wrong. First gear should have tremendous amount of torque (most cars first gear is roughly innthe 3:1 ratio range) Even a fucking 30hp shitbox should be able to go up a steep slope in first gear, because of all the torque. Something is definitely wrong with your vehicle.

My mom was always proud of her skill with a manual and would brag about her clutch foot being able to hold a car stationary at idle even on an incline but now that she's old with autos and I'm the one driving manuals whenever I do that I feel like I'm putting unnecessary wear on the clutch or throwout bearing or something when I do this and end up just holding with the brake and keeping the clutch fully engaged then heel-toeing to start.

Which one causes less wear and why?

Wow faggot wtf did this have to do with anything? Jesus fuck way to contribute. And to amswer your question. You're wearing out your clutch faggot just sit in neutral with the brake applied why you gotta fuck with the clutch when you are stopped?

You're right, the end.

For fun, also fun to get shitboxes (geo metro tier) to get moving with no throttle input. Just ease out on the clutch suuuper slow.

so what was the diagnosis? was it you or the clutch bad?