e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Interior#Carpet
charlotte.craigslist.org/ctd/5675360496.html
cacs1.com/2000_BMW_5 Series_Charlotte_NC_262305500.veh
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLojQDTYYk8VFoV07xLNtZrYmc525LwVi9
youtube.com/watch?v=hqKpAydBeIc&ab_channel=Camper1234599
youtube.com/watch?v=xsp32Rt8vhQ&ab_channel=Camper1234599
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Time to re-chrome my kidneys?

And if anyone else wants to start new threads don't be shy, I just like making the images.

yes

>tfw no e28

send help

Tfw really love the look of old bmws but cant find anything in my area thats not too expensive

Mine got totaled last night during an epic hailstorm.

New to the club as of Monday

welp. next item on the buy list is a full-size spare for road trips.

What up /bmw/

I posted in the BMW general the other day about how I am moving to a snow climate and wanting to buy an X series. A couple anons recommended the X5 over the X3.

I went and drove a 2006 X5 3.0 from Craigslist today. I drive a 328i now so I am not used to driving SUVs and therefore not the best judge of if the car is fucked up or not. I smelled a burnt oil smell faintly and the windshield has a crack. And the guy has a salvage title. The carfax shows it was stolen and deemed a total loss by the insurance company, but based on the carfax (pic related,) I am not sure if it has been in an accident or not. The seller says it was not.
I want to take it to my mechanic to look over but the seller wants to come with me but my mechanic is too far he says. He said he will let me take it to a mechanic if I find somewhere closer to where he lives.

Should I move forward? He wants $6,500.00 for it. How much would you pay?

forgot carfax pic related

i would never buy salvage title

>Car is a total loss, rebuilt then immediately sold
>Still has unrepaired damage
>Smells of burning

I don't know what else to say, everything is screaming DON'T BUY THIS CAR to me.

>Seller says it wasn't in accident

RUN FAR AWAY.

hey guys !

I am looking to buy an e30 325i or 325is, what is the general consensus about them ?Any experience with them ? Is it nearly impossible to fin an unmolested one in 2016 ?

I would use the car as a summer weekend car mainly. Any good mods/swap that can make this little car more enjoyable ? What to look for when inspecting one ?

vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/cto/5638097343.html

Last thread wasn't much help. What do you think the tranny issue is? Good buy?

it's hard to find any old car in decent condition at a 'good' price

e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Rust
look over that to get idea. around the rear light areas is common place for moisture to get in. try check the front areas where feet go in driver/passanger side (lift carpet up from side). the rear carpets easy to pull up too, and check same areas but in rear seat.
if it has a sunroof then try check over that too. it's common for them to leak, and i'd say there would be a bit of rust on there, just depends how much there is.
if they won't let you pull up the carpets then it'll be a big gamble on if it is rusty underneath. you can try see underneath the car too, but there still could be a fairbit of it and it looks 'good' underneath. only other thing you could do is try 'feel' if it's damp. but if its noticeable damp then it's probably not worth buying unless you want to spend time fixing the rusting
i'd say a lot of people with them wouldn't really want to you pulling up the carpets. could be because they know it's bad under there, or because you might make it look 'worse' when you put it back (it's not hard to though). the front area of carpet is hardest to get of
e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Interior#Carpet
you can still pull it up at the side and check it (though i think when I did I had to remove the seat, removing seat is just undoing four 10mm bolts and is easy)
the rear carpet I can't remember but I think it just lays ontop and the rear seat clamps down ontop of it to hold and isn't too hard to remove. you can just look behind in the boot and see if it looks rusty too though. and look up under side to check floor
checking from side with carpets you'd just take the plastic thing on side of door opening area (which you slide back and pull off or something)

if you can go over and some of these spots, you can bring the price down more. but small rust can be way worse then it looks too

I would have a budget around 6k$ Should get me a decent condition e30 no ?

also with this, the 'easiest' way to check would be remove the seats/seatbelt bolt and pull it up a bit. maybe need to remove the bottom speaker thing. i think the carpet is tucked under those plastic things on the side

Like anybody is going to let some random asshole with 6k come up and just start ripping up the carpets and seats and shit out of the car they have listed for sale. You're buying a 2 decade old shitbox. Not a Ferrari.

Delusional poorfags are truly the worst.

don't know about different model e30 pricing. and it depends on where you live too (and what currency).

even with a 6k car, it could be pretty bad. it's a 30 year old car, so there's 30 years of people doing shit. there could be dodgy repairs in it from years back. could've been a leak and the moisture got trapped in the insulation at the carpet and it's slowly rotting the metal underneath. the engine might be on it's last breath

yea that's what i said, most wouldn't want you to. but some might let you take off the edge bit, and lift up the seats so that you have enough to look under it (which is easy and won't mess up the carpet).
if you're saying it's a shitbox why would anyone car then lol?

>210K+ miles on the engine
>Signs of a hackjob
>Aftermarket tach slapped onto the dash instead of fixing the stock one
>Body rust
>May just be U joints if you're lucky, but the transmission probably needs to be torn apart and rebuilt
I wouldn't.

Yeah but
>m20b25 swap
>brand new tranny with 100k km can be bought for $280

The car has 210k kilometers, so 130k miles

the tach is there because the new engine sampled speed from the diff, whereas the old one did it from the tranny. Not sure how to fix, but lack of a spedo doesn't really bother me.

I'm going to buy a daily driver in 2-3 months. I'm thinking a manual transmission BMW. I've got a few questions for any anons that are feeling helpful. I know basically nothing about them. I live in New Jersey, USA for reference.

1) Is it possible to get a somewhat reliable BMW for around $5,000? If so, what models?
2) Is maintenance truly horrible?
3) Are they good for someone new to driving stick?

All I really care about is having a pleasant car to drive that won't destroy my bank account with costly repairs.

>salvage title
>I am not sure if it has been in an accident or not
>The seller says it was not.

lol

There are thousands of cars for sale, forget this car and find a unfucked one.

1. yes
2. lol no
3. they are perfect, i learned stick on my dads 1994 320i coupe when I was like 7 years old.

>stanceworks
We even get a free oxymoron included with this thread.

hello all. im 18 with not too much cash to blow and want your knowledge. should i look into buying this or not?

charlotte.craigslist.org/ctd/5675360496.html

1) Oh yes, it's easy. E36s are probably the cheapest and you'll want at least a 320i or 328i. You can also spend a little more and get an E39.
2) Not at all. They're pretty easy to work on and aftermarket parts are abundant.
3) Their some of the best around I think. A lot of people love them for it.

man, that sucks.

we had hail here today aswell, but thankfully my car was garaged

Thanks for the advice. One last question, what is the acceptable amount of miles on the car?

I couldn't say for certain but probably somewhere between 160-200k miles but anything under is great. That being said though, I've known many older BMWs (E34s etc) to keep going well after 300k miles, so it all comes down to how well looked after the car is.

So like I always say, check those receipts and service records. I'd be wary if they're very inconsistent of have large gaps of time between services.

Great, thanks.

Well, it looks decent. The mileage isn't bad either. I'd say go take a look, and spend maybe $100-200 to have an independent mechanic look it over. While you're there, I'd also say check out this manual 540i they have, although the mileage on that is a bit high and it has a fugly grey interior — cacs1.com/2000_BMW_5 Series_Charlotte_NC_262305500.veh

Oh, and also, a few things I learned from my past experiences:
>If they took those pictures a year or two ago and have kept the car outside since, walk away
>If they require a down payment to get the car inspected, walk away
>Get the VIN(s) from them (have to email/call) and get a history report (like from the VIN check threads here)
>If anything has a "repaired" title, it might as well be salvage, walk away

I've owned a 240k mile E46 328 and it was mechanically in a better condition than my other 113k mile e46 325.
Currently own a 285k mile (!) E60 5 series and it is nearly perfect as well

Congrats! Beautiful car

>New Jersey
watch for rust in the rear quarters, wells. get an e34 over the e36, the suspension wears out slower.

Can anyone tell me about e30 chassis? Are the 318 and the 325 exactly the same? I have been looking for one for a while now for a swap and im unsure if they have any difference in terms of engine mount locations, structural strength etc.

it's the same basically if they're coupes. sedans and verts obviously are a bit different. engine bay is all the same space with all e30s sans maybe the m3

Yeah, the pot holes and winter weather are brutal on cars here. Thanks, I'll include the E34s (5-series, right?) in my searches. Something with AWD is probably smart.

>post how much you love the damned thing

I love this god damn thing so much. 1999 318ti that I've had since 2004. Got it with 60k on the clock and it's at 150k now. I haven't had much of anything go wrong with it in the last 50k miles or so. Just regular maintenance. In its lifetime I've only had to replace the power steering rack, starter and water pump. It's such a reliable car. I have a 5-speed manual ready to be swapped into it, now I'm just saving my pennies for an s54 engine to drop in with it. Also need a new daily before I do the swap, thinking about an e39 wagon...

y-youre lying!
bmws are unreliable

Cool thank you, Just in case you were interested in what swap, pic related. I have read the entire pdf a few times now and have created a pretty comprehensive list of everything I would need, I am at the point now where I am just looking for a car that is decent and not rusted out within my budget.

I know you're joking but in all seriousness it's all in how well you take care of it, for the most part that applies to every car. Whoever owned my car for the first 60k miles took care of it and I've taken care of it ever since so it's a reliable car.

So lets settle this once and for all is BMW's unreliable or is it just a big meme?

It's a meme

They're not unreliable. Just expensive to repair.

My parents have one of these and a 535i wagon. Both have the same engine and both are crazy fun to drive. The extra weight of the wagon barely affects that engine at all, it's crazy.

varies wildly from generation to generation and is heavily tied to how well the car is kept

To all the people wondering about buying a BMW, I would say look up your local chapter of the BMW Car Club of America and try to find a copy of their want ads, most club members only buy and sell with other club members so these cars are always very well taken care of and the seller won't lie to you about the car's history, but you may have to join the chapter. The good news is it's not terribly expensive and you get a discount on parts (and service but don't, just don't) at the stealership.

I don't think the 5 series got AWD until the e60.

the E34 had awd

I did not know that. I really wanted an e39 until I realized there was no AWD option. Maybe I'll look into e34s.

>needing awd
fucking stop
do you live in canada on a steep hill?
probably not, just get really good snow tires like blizzaks. don't discount a car just for only being rwd

i drove my rwd e39 just fine in the new england winter on blizzaks, in fact it was a little better than my awd e90 on snow-focused all season tires

I do in fact live in rural upstate New York on the side of a mountain and I've been driving my RWD e36 through the unplowed mountain roads for years and I would prefer something more stable. Snow tires only go so far and I'll be buying them for my AWD vehicle as well.

oh, 90% of the time when someone says "i need awd", it's because it occasionally snows where they are or barely ices

I still recommend it even to them, because they're usually shit drivers and could use all the help they could get. Remember when Georgia got like 2 inches of snow and people fucking died?

awd isn't going to help you from being a shit driver but snow tires will desu

after all, awd doesn't help you stop or corner in snow, it just helps you get going from a stop

AWD does actually help if only one of your tires lose traction, other than that you're correct.

Got an offer by some dude for my 750. He was offering a 735 E38 Lang in a straight trade.

I started thinking and was wondering if I should trade or not. I mean, on the plus side, the 3.5 litre V8 is not a V12. On the other hand, the 3.5 litre V8 is not a V12.
I'm really attached to my "Biscuit", despite all the hardships she's put me through in our short time together.

ah cool. this youtube has a guide/video series on the swap too
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLojQDTYYk8VFoV07xLNtZrYmc525LwVi9

I thought about doing m60 swap, but I think right now I'm just going to mini overhaul the top end, ebay/junkyard turbo my M20, then see where to go from there once it blows

I recently fell in love with e30s. I guy came into our shop with an e30 that had a swapped m3 motor in it and I fell in love. Teach me how to buy a good e30!

the 735 is kinda slow and still sips lots of fuel and still has all the maintenance of an old BMW V8 but it'll probably still be cheaper and more reliable than your v12.
Too bad it's not the 4.0/4.4

The awd version of the e34 was Europe only. Even so, I'd still pick an e34 over anything else any day.

Well the 750 ain't no rocket either. Besides, it's a "luxury" car, so top speed or being fast is besides the point here. As long as the car can do 120kmh comfortably and overtake without struggling, I'm golden.

I gotta think over this and weigh the pros and cons of both real good, then think it over again and one more time just in case.
I love the E32, but I am sure she will be the end of me some day, both physically and financially.

Those guys are great, I watched all of them about the e30. Thanks. These videos aren't as good but this guy talks about his budget e30 ebay turbo build. He says he was able to do it for $1500 in total. He was able to get 225whp with AWD and 250torque which is pretty damn good for the price if you ask me.

youtube.com/watch?v=hqKpAydBeIc&ab_channel=Camper1234599

Dyno:
youtube.com/watch?v=xsp32Rt8vhQ&ab_channel=Camper1234599

oh I forgot that you got the E32 750 not E38, they're both pretty much the same (7.4 secs 0-100 for the 750, 7.6 secs 0-100 for 735)
and jesus christ the 750 drinks almost 20l/100km urban fuuck
my E60 consumes about 8.5l/100km urban and that's not even very low for a diesel

>How much would you pay?
$0
The guy bought the car auction, did minimal repairs, and is trying to flip it.

This.
Meme, but parts are expensive in the US, and if you own an M car with a 5-15k engine...well you what you are getting in to.

>been putting off getting the bumper resprayed for so long
>still haven't gotten used to the sun damage
literally every time i walk up to i think "it'll cost $400 to fix that but fuck, probably worth it"

Getting bored. What next?

supercharge that sumbitch
assuming it's an s54 z4

It will cost a lot more than $400 considering you don't live in the backwoods of the US. When mine gets too chipped or before I sell I will respray for ~$850. I mean 10 years ago a simple respray was 650 for me.
Thats what the ///M means bey bey

Irvine Spectrum user? I live 10 minutes from there.

You ever see the ricer gang that drives through the parking garage on the weekends sometimes and revs their Mitsubishi's/Altimas/Civics super high with the blow dryer exhausts and sets off all the car alarms?

From the current models, do you guys prefer the 3 series or 4 series?

It's worth it. It really is.

you buy a clownshoe and experience a real man's car

or buy a 135i

>20l/100km urban
Na senpai, try 30l/km. It ain't easy being a baller, but somebodys gotta do it.
But I don't really mind, the fuel consumption is not that bad in my opinion. When driving longer distances at cruising speed, it's a comfortable 10l/100km

>tfw fuel leak somewhere

Every once in a while I would smell gas while driving around. I decided to get under the car and have someone turn it on because I knew it only leaks when it's on. It's leaking from on the driver's side, apparently ride beside the transmission so all the fumes and such go directly up into my face. I gotta tell you, inhaling gas fumes during my commute probably isn't the healthiest thing I could be doing.

I currently have no choice but to drive the thing to work despite the chance of explosions/Paul Walker style death. Getting under the car ruled out the tank and fuel rail which are the most common leak locations so I'm guessing this is a special case. Car is a 1987 E30 325i vert, and I'm currently on realoem tracing the fuel system for ideas. Anyone have any experience with fuel leaks/this model and have dealt with it before? Should I just take it to a mechanic?

Buy a gasmask and wear it while driving.

I just roll down the windows and blast the ac, I'm hoping that'll stave off brain damage until I can find the leak

It's probably the rubber hose that goes from the hard line near the transmission tunnel to the fuel rail. By some hose and fix it you cheap fuck

Anyone using diagnostic software on theyr car?

Also, BMW 318 66 kW, diesel, manual worth buying?

Mein Gott, what's with these rims?
Also that cars color in combination with the tinted windows... who the fuck was driving it?

>Also, BMW 318 66 kW, diesel, manual worth buying?
If it's pic related you want to buy... it looks like some 18 years old drove and probably fucked around with it a lot. What does the Odometer say? Service history?

Hey. It's pic related. Odometer is 247 000 km and on the info, the seller states that the engine had capital repairs and body repainted.

the 318 diesel is slow as fuck
i'm pretty sure those are plastic wheel hubs
honestly there is nothing much to look out for as a full engine swap costs like 50 euros, maybe check for rust on skirts, arches

it's actually gotten way worse since then, i should take more pics

tfw your 200,000mi e39 automatic for sale wont sell.
tfw u dont wana sell it.
tfw u picked up an e46 automatic to replace it
tfw it's probably even more troublesome than an e39 with double the milage.

manual swap bruh

>willingly Buying an auto BMW

>rims
Calm down nignog, they're steel wheels with plastic covers

I never see groups but I do see individual cars that do so. It is probably way too crowded at this time of year plus the security is out directing traffic.

>mfw new front struts, new rear shocks and new control arms on my e46

Feels good man

clownshoe is actually a shit car except to look at in a garage.
135i or e92 m3 were my thoughts.

sauce :^)

no

paid $1300 several months ago for it( i needed a car). I have a 5speed 528i as well, i find the automatic 528i acceptable. I have sub in it, and use my car for music cruising, not for thrills.

I would like to swap a manual into the e46, that would be awesome (found trans for $250) only i have a rocky driveway, it's dangerous to go under the car everytime.

picture of my 5speed 528i before some road rash.

A buddy of mine bought an E28 535I for $200. He was at a junkyard when the previous owner drove it in, he had tried selling it but no one was interested and he was moving that day, so my friend offered him the scrap price and he took it. There was nothing wrong with it, even the paint was still good let alone the mechanicals, but it almost went into the crusher. That was back in 2009 I think? He doesn't drive it much anymore but he still has it.

I don't have any pictures of it on my tablet so here's a picture of my current daily instead. I'm planning on shadowlining the window trim and installing a Volvo lip soon, I've got the tape and the lip but it's too fucking hot right now. I'm not sure if I'll keep either installed, though; my car is just a base 525I so they feel pretty ricey.

Wound up just replacing all 4 tires since the rears were getting bald and the non-flat front had really uneven wear from the fuckstick previous owner's poor alignment. I went with Pilot Sport all seasons and they feel amazing.

Good timing too because we're getting crazy storms this summer.