Is a manual car even necessary for an everday drive car?

Is a manual car even necessary for an everday drive car?

I drive a manual Forester and it feels like I got meme'd.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lOzHaKEzdAE
youtube.com/watch?v=Bzz2-akj-FM
youtube.com/watch?v=JIk6gSg0z8o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i feel like you only memed yourself

Ofc u got memed but enjoy it it's more fun

I started driving a manual to school this week and it sucks ass in traffic and uphill starts but it gets great on the way back home

You get used to it real quick

If your car can't do ~60mph in first there's literally no point in owning a manual

All my vehicles are manuals.

Driving manual is not for everyone. That being said, Im so used to it that driving auto freaks me out due to the fact I can't control what the engine is doing and have to rely strictly on brakes to slow down.

>I can't control what the engine is doing

gas pedal

>and have to rely strictly on brakes to slow down.

its what brakes are for

How about 2nd?

>His First only goes to 60

Filthy casual has no idea what a powerband is.

Are you retarded?

OP here
Whats your opinion on clutches manuals?

My Hyundai has one

> I like to rev my engine unnecessarily and up shift later giving me more pumping losses and the same power as up shifting and giving more throttle. Also I down shift before corners because I like to tell everyone I drive a manual, even though I'm wearing the clutch instead of the brake pads and using gas to rev match.

Better miles per gallon, lower maintenace cost, longer service life.

Automatics are only worth it if you spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic.

>again I don't know what a power band is, and I've never towed anything or driven anything reasonably fast in corners in my life.

> better mpg
If you don't drive like a sperg

> longer service life
I see clutches replaced more than autos
Labor makes replacing an entire auto almost more cost efficient

> I know that in traffic downshifting before a corner is completely unnecessary. And during spirited driving you have to heel toe or else downshifting is inefficient

Clutches will last the life of the vehicle if you're not retarded, eg, riding the clutch or using the clutch to stay in place stopped on a hill.

My civic is 18 years old and it has the original clutch and it works fine.

Slushboxes have mechanical loss through the torque converter and the transmission never selects the ideal gear. It always keeps the rpms too high.

1000+ ~320 Clutch kit is almost the same as 1000+ a 1-4k rebuilt tranny.

>powerband

>"I can't control what my ENGINE is doing without a manual TRANSMISSION"

my auto car has 4 forward gear ratios that can be controlled manually by the drivers input. I can control what my engine does with the fucking gas pedal. its called throttle control

>hurr durr i need to engine brake to slow down

i'd rather use my brake pedal and save my engine. pads are cheap. v8's are not..

>Clutch costs $3~800 generally
>auto transmission 1~6k

nice logic

>drive LS1/4l60e car
>high-stall torque converters less than a grand (shits on a clutch)
>can pull transmissions from the junkyard all day for like $200 and cost a few hundred to rebuild
>shifts faster when built (faster than manual stock)
>only 4 speeds because 'murica
>sitting at 90mph at 3000 rpm listening to the V8 turn

>my auto car has 4 forward gear ratios that can be controlled manually by the drivers input. I can control what my engine does with the fucking gas pedal. its called throttle control

>he actually believes this.

Short of a DSG or DCT no you're not controlling what your engine is doing, your merely suggesting to it what you want.

>i'd rather use my brake pedal and save my engine. pads are cheap. v8's are not..

Unless its a piece of shit, your V8 is designed to take the same stresses of deceleration as acceleration, over its lifetime especially considering the former is a lot less taxing on the engine.

>all cars need and can equip highstall torque converters and built 4l60e's

>Everyone only wants to go in straight line fast.

itt.

Thats an automatic bud

yeah, it really is just horrible

>60mph in first

>Drive 4.3 4l60e 2wd s10
>At 117k torque convertor whines
>Have the trans completely rebuilt with a shift kit & towing package for ~2200
>At 170k 2/3 clutches start slipping
>Corvette servo installed, solves problem till 220k
>Buy a used trans with unknown mileage and decided I'll do it myself
>That one top bolt takes for fucking ever as I don't have enough extensions & my box end ratchet wrench doesn't clear the housing / body
>After getting it installed it's flawless for 10k miles
>After one trail ride beating on it 2/3 clutches start slipping
>Should've just put the corvette servo in from day 1
>4.3 kills itself because of leaking intake gaskets
>Truck died with ~230k

I honestly don't know why they bailed GM out. Should've let the company fail. They didn't fail because they made good vehicles.

All my friends swear by GM but they're constantly wrenching on shit and swapping major drivetrain components.

>You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

The automatic on the forester is pretty bad OP, in this case you've made the better decision. If you have a 8 cylinder truck or something you can make an argument for the automatic being a better driving experience, kinda, but they don't work as well with small engines.

ausfag with a 300rwhp ls1 and a STOCK 4l60e

You need a better trans cooler and radiator you are cooking your transmisison

>Short of a DSG or DCT no you're not controlling what your engine is doing, your merely suggesting to it what you want.

Holmes, the engine is controlled by a steel cable. its attached to the pedal. its a fucking throttle linkage

if you meant transmission

>cruising at 60
>down shift to 1st *(PAST REDLINE)*
>car doesn't change gears until you reach 45-50 mph (where 1st gear redlines)
>rear tires lockup on downshift, engine revs shoot to redline

and for upshifts, its shifted based on algorithms. electronically controlled. this is NOT A BAD THING. it will shift precisely at redline at WOT. every time

how i launch my car (300+ hp auto RWD)
>1st gear manual lockout
>take off the line, some wheelspin
>select 2nd gear BEFORE max rpm
>pcm will hold shift until redline because were at full throttle

this gives me perfect control at launch, (where you need to hold first because a short-shift into second gear will cripple your acceleration) - and it means i can't miss the 1-2 shift by hitting the rev limiter

i can bang off the limiter if i don't shift up. or i can shift before i "need' to and the PCM will shift at redline.

this is advantageous in two ways for the auto car.

>but muh clutch bro

and with a high-stall torque converter, you can leave the line over 3000 rpm and loaded

>and for upshifts, its shifted based on algorithms. electronically controlled. this is NOT A BAD THING. it will shift precisely at redline at WOT. every time

>Gas peddle controlling both the throttle and transmission

Nice meme transmission

Automatics are okay for Suzy's compact car when she's 18 and slutting it up in college.

For a """car guy"""" to drive an automatic, especially like an automatic mustang or challenger it's fucking hilarious and cringworthy embarassing.

I also own a 4.3l 2WD 4l60e S10 *(same guy with LS1/4l60e T/A)

my torque converter was replaced at 170k miles because i literally broke where it bolts to the flexplate. it was still internally functioning.

my trans was slapped back together with a new torque converter and it works fine.

>leaking intake gaskets
>not replacing the lower intake manifold gasket

>didn't make good vehicles
>230k miles of service

kill yourself faggot.
>trail ride
>2wd s10

your friends are redneck sister fuckers who break their trucks in the woods. its not GMs fault, i blame incestuous parents

my Pontiac trans am LS1 car has given me absolutely zero problems. its reliable as shit

its not the gas pedal controlling the transmission, its the engine PCM

the gas pedal controls the engine, the PCM is controlling the transmission.

in a modern OBDII vehicle the engine and automatic transmission are best like friends

>hey bro we're under full throttle, you're going to want to increase line pressure for this next shift
>ok bro got it
>nice shift man, time was 0.2 seconds
>thanks bro, next time we'll shoot for 0.01 faster with less timing pulled

>Hey trans, we need to downshift
>ok bro as soon as we can

>For a """car guy"""" to drive an automatic, especially like an automatic mustang or challenger it's fucking hilarious and cringworthy embarassing.

like 90% of purpose built drag racing cars are automatic. its cringe worthy when you see ""car guys"" that think their manual economy car is anything special

>thinks this guy isn't an enthusiast

youtube.com/watch?v=lOzHaKEzdAE

Look closer, idiot

>my Pontiac trans am LS1 car has given me absolutely zero problems. its reliable as shit
hue

This

this is now a

>piss off ricers with an automatic trans swap

youtube.com/watch?v=Bzz2-akj-FM

Manual is more fun, even in traffic, and even in the drag strip. I fell for he auto better in a straight line meme and am regretting it. I bought an auto car for drag racing purposes and anyone who can actually drive kills me every time with their manuals.

>having more than two gears

why even live

youtube.com/watch?v=JIk6gSg0z8o

No clutch = No manual

>anyone who can actually drive kills me every time with their manuals.

>drive automatic honda civic d series
>that guy in the manual corvette killed me

>even in traffic, and even in the drag strip
Even when you are talking out of you're ASS

benchracing

I thought manuals were better for drag racing?

How about we stop this pointless bitching about how to switch gears and enjoy our cars for what they are? Literally, nobody cares what transmission you have.

>Drag racing
>racing

The more human elements you remove from it the more it loses its value as a sport

On an actual track, transmission choice doesn't really matter all that much. Except for drift faggots.

>how else will i unbalance the car?

also to the fact that auto cars are just faster

>ricers think launching in neutral or 2 step is the same as launching under a load
>not losing boost pressure between shifts
>shifts are faster and there's only one or two
>high stall torque converters are built to hold power
>less dangerous than racing with a clutch (explosions)
>MUCH cheaper to build an auto that can hold power
>auto trans are sourced from trucks so they're not expensive to buy

manuals are better for daily driving if you're an enthusiast. they're better for track driving and autocross. they're nicer on the highway because 2 overdrive gears is better than one. (or none)

but they're shit at drag racing so know your place.

>better at everything
>but drag racing

You should know your place, if anything.

>the engine is controlled by a steel cable. its attached to the pedal
Not in most cars since about 2000. They have a potentiometer on the pedal instead that goes to the computer, so your throttle inputs are merely suggestions as to what the electronic throttle is actually going to do. No physical connection whatsoever.

Aka drive by wire.

Couldn't you do this in any car is you fuck with gear ratios?

but this would be the same, no matter what trans you have

>your point?

>better at everything

>more expensive
>weaker
>can't take abuse
>can't hold power
>way more expensive to build for power
>harder to source
>lose boost pressure between shifts
>can't launch under a load

sorry, what?

Manual civic ricerfags are car guys.

Yeah maybe that race car driver has an auto, maybe that fucking dump truck at the quarry is automatic too but you cannot say you know or care about automotives then opt for an auto.

Like saying you're a fodie expert chef and all your meals are cooked in a microwave.

Shut up, hippie. All you automatic transmission faggots are alike. Hope your slushbox upshifts downhill and you die like the waste if oxygen you are.

>drag racing cars are automatic
Nobody gives a shit about what people do in a race that doesnt even have corners. Of course they are going to opt for the fastest and easiest option. Doesnt make people who drive auto any less of a faggot.

>A bunch of shit that barely matters in typical track driving

Okay and?

Automatic transmissions, as in good ones instead of consumer slushboxes, are pretty much high end equipment for high end, specialized applications and are irrelevant benchracing gear outside of those.

F1 has semi-automatics because trying to control the clutch at those speeds in those cars is generally a bad idea

>Thinks a torque converter autobox with a +/- gate constitutes a clutch-less manual

Literally every shitbox made in the last 3 years has either a +/- gate or flappy paddles on the steering wheel despite being the same slush boxes they've always had. If anything that is the real meme

>auto trans are sourced from trucks so they're not expensive to buy

Fuck you sideways. Find me a working 2wd 4l80e for under $1k.

She gets to about 95km/h before hitting the rev limiter. Close enough.

>I like to go in a straight line fast
At that point, why even have a driver? The driver literally stomps on the gas and holds it there until the end of the race. Literally a brick would do the same job. There is no skill required for drag whatsoever.

Drag is shit, and auto a shit, but they go well together.

I don't care what anyone says but top of the line trim cars that have every option checked off and
also have come equipped with a manual transmission are fucking boss.

ls2 still 6200rpm?

I just like older cars and they're usually manual. Plus it's cheaper

If you're driving an underpowered shitbox, manual is still a lot nicer because you're at least putting more of that pitiful power to the ground. It's awful to drive an already-slow car that's further hindered by a slushbox.

> under powered shitbox
The domain of the manual transmission.

> clutches last life of car if drive like not sperg
> the point of a manual is to downshift coming up to a light on Friday and holding 2nd too long before the engine is warmed up Tuesday morning

Nice logic

>4l80e for under $1k.

wrecked 2500 silverado any day

You're probably a bad driver then. I daily a manual 540i in LA traffic, which is hellish, and I'm still half I got a manual. I don't even think about shifting when I'm daydreaming.

> Can't finger your missus while you drive around in a manual
> clutch dies within 150,000. 5 times more to fix than an auto service
> marginally better fuel economy
> engines too small to chuck burnouts anyway

stfu

>wasting gas rev matching

People worry about this?

About that I went 200,000 miles on the Clutch in my TJ Wrangler. Rev-match my negro.

Clutch was easy as fuck to do, took about 4 hours of actual time, about two hours having lunch and drinking beer while a shop machined my flywheel. Was done in a day by me a 50kg manlet with hand tools and no lift.

Gas mileage was a massive improvement over an Auto Wrangler with the same setup, 17-19 mixed driving vs 14-16 mixed driving.

Plus with the gearing the AX-15 and the 3.73 rear it actually hauled fucking ass and had enough grunt to break the shitty mud tyres loose going around around corners so you could drift if you had the balls to slide a Wrangler on 31s with a 2" lift.

>tfw bought into the manual meme
>clutch stiff as fuck
>long ass commute
>now I have fluid in my left knee from pressing clutch so much

fucking manualcucks I wish i would have gotten a cvt instead

>first car month ago
>manual
>no tachometer
>no fucking steer assist (gotta spin this shit while parking)

It's painful to drive. You get used to it, but driving is not that fun as it would be with automatic.

But still, I love my first car

No, it's not faster, just more fun. And I never felt like a quitter

>manual
>no tachometer
what are you driving? i have never heard of a car without a tachometer

You don't know cars then lol. So many base model economy cars come with no tach. ie every dx civic

Do you live near or in the city?

Manual will make you miserable.

Don't?
Automatic will bore you to death.

>s a manual car even necessary for an everday drive car?
yes. yes it is.

If you're a good driver I'd say yes a manual is a must.

I'm just a shit driver and all round stupid cunt, so I manage to have fun in an auto. It's a blessing and a curse, because I'll never get along with 'car guys', despite really loving driving.

>driving manual is not for everyone
t. burger
Autotragics are a rarity here