Why are fog lights seemingly on every model of cars now? Is it actually useful or just for aesthetics of the car...

Why are fog lights seemingly on every model of cars now? Is it actually useful or just for aesthetics of the car? Some companies just charge as expensive add-ons.

Captcha was clicking on pictures of cars nice.

i like to stick yellow bulbs in my fog lights

Its aesthetics

Why do you care?
Does this REALLY bother you???
Like ruining your life?

I like the little rectangular lights you could bolt on older cars.

the foglights on my 2003 are literally useless but they look cool so i keep them on :^)

Yeah i drive through alot of fog in my 15 year old shitbox and they are USELESS unless you count seeing 15 ft infront of your face

I had to get a Flood Light LED bar

He's curious. Legitimate question. But hey keep shit posting lol.

Generally aesthetics and upsell. There are very few genuinely good fog lights, and fog lights have a very limited use case to begin with.

That's because you are doing it wrong. You are supposed to be traveling slow is fog.

2011 Lincoln MKS
2009 Ford Expedition

Around here, when the hay fields get watered in the evening, we get low fog at night sometimes. The fog lights tend to increase visibility directly in front and to the sides of the vehicles.

With the Expedition it's not really all that much of a difference in thick fog, because of the halogen bulbs. With the MKS the fog lights make a huge difference, because of the 4300K HID's.

I've heard it called light refraction, and read a bit about the science behind it a while ago, but I don't remember much about it, other than it works.

>The fog lights tend to increase visibility directly in front and to the sides of the vehicles.
That's what they're designed to do.

Are you sure your Expedition's headlights are aimed correctly? You might be confusing backscatter for actually being able to see.

I have this problem during blizzards. High beam simply makes it go full warp speed look and honestly blinds me. So I just drive on low beam.

That's due to backscatter. In such weather you should never use the high beams.

>Are you sure your Expedition's headlights are aimed correctly?
Yes. I have them checked every oil change (free oil changes from the dealer, so why not?)

Sometimes they're a little off, but there are some rough roads around here, so it's not entirely unexpected.

Fog lights are only useful if:

1) They're yellow
2) You use them INSTEAD of your headlights, not both at the same time.

1) is very rare nowadays and 2) is even impossible to do in many cars.

>1) They're yellow
No. Yellow vs white has been tested by various authorities to have similar performance, within error margins. The only companies still even making yellow are those who have been making them for years due to regulatory reasons and haven't bothered to stop now that nowhere requires it anymore.
>2) You use them INSTEAD of your headlights, not both at the same time.
There's no reason this is necessary.

Pure anesthetics

I had to use fog lights once and they did nothing.

front foglights I could do without, rear fogs make a difference in poor conditions (thick fog, heavy rain, whiteout)

You obviously know nothing about fog, or fog lights, if you think you use them with headlights...

Fug that I'm Colin McRae Richard burns ken block mate

>Why are fog lights seemingly on every model of cars now?

Car manufacturers are looking for upsell items to put into different levels of options packages to make each package unique from the others. Fog Lights seems to be one of the items. They're cheap, yet significant enough to occupy a prominent line item spot.

If they're real fog lights, then they can be turned on separately without the headlights being on. Otherwise, they are just accessory lights.

Fog lights, like head lights, illuminate objects far ahead so that the driver can see them. While headlights also make the patch of fog in front of the driver's face glow brightly, the fog lights are near the ground. Thus the part of fog that glows from the light is no longer in front of the driver's face. Thus, the driver can see more clearly and farther ahead. That is why fog lights should be able to be turned on without the headlights.

>rear fogs make a difference in poor conditions (thick fog, heavy rain, whiteout)
Except every Audi faggot has them on all the time to show what a special snowflake they are.

It's spreading too. Saw a Bimmer with it on in clear weather last night.

>replaced foglights with plastic covers master race here

I'm the ultimate special snowflake.

I personally find the set on my 2013 Elantra GT useful. They properly, and effectively illuminate the road in front and to the side of me.

Nice argument.
>not ducts to cool your brakes

But the warp speed look makes me feel like I am going fast. I like it, I actually turn on the brights, blast eurobeat and drive faster to intensify the effect.

My car doesn't have fog lights, my old one did but my new one doesn't. I don't find I miss them.

Hope no one else is around you.

>>not ducts to cool your brakes

Good point, I need all the help I can get bringing my 140 horses to a stop...