I need to start living in a van down by the river

I need to start living in a van down by the river.

What's a good reliable van to do this in? I plan on doing 90% of all my maintenance.

Hard Mode: I'd also like it to be comfy.

It's time to go back to /b/ kid

Grumman step van.
chevy drivetrain, get one with a stainless body.

you can literally make the inside a house.

Which is kinda what I'm looking for (pic related). Are they hard to find and or super expensive?

nah, most on the market were old delivery trucks and shouldn't be more than 5k for a half decent one. A shittier one would be hella cheap though, like 2k or less.

Don't live in a van it fucking sucks
97-03 e150 or e250 w/ tow package and a travel trailer acquired through any means. Another for towing option is an Explorer or f150.

I wish I had a choice (I don't). Right now I'm living out of my car, and a decent, fixable, comfy van would be an upgrade. Plus a lit of videos online and being homeless for a month have convinced me otherwise.

Get an apartment

Work 2 jobs+, stuff with commissions or tips

Nah, I don't want to give landlords anymore money. I've already blown way too much on renting and rents are going through the roof as it is.

I want to live out of a van for a few years, fix my credit, buy land, then build a small house on it.

Sounds like a cool idea.
Where do you plan on parking it when you sleep at night?
I thought about doing something similar while at college, but theres nowhere to park nearby without getting towed.

Most cities/towns won't allow you to do that but I'd go for something like this. Bitches love axles.

Not that guy but you can park it in Walmart or get permission from business owners. Some cities don't have laws against parking but as a warning some cops will still be assholes about it.

Walmart's are (generally) the place to park. Shit I've been parking at one everyday for a month now and no ones given me shit once. I've even done work on my car here recently.

State parks are one option, and open BLM land is another. Some places are chill if you ask for permission and don't look like you're going to break down soon.

Otherwise I'm in an extremely chill part of the country right now, so no one generally gives a shit if I don't cause problems or make a mess.

I hear cities are bad so I stay out of them. Closest one is Boston and I sooner crash around one of the burbs than the city proper.

Beyond that there's a subculture developing around van living. It's pretty cool actually.

Would a conversion van be worth going for, or is just out n out buying a cargo van and outfitting yourself the better route to go?

I wonder if a pickup with a camper shell would be even cheaper.
It would certainly stand out less.

>extremely chill part of the country right now
Where are you? just curious

well if you do it right, it's like living in a class b rv, which is pretty fine imo

conversion van is less work but you don't get to customize it as much without stripping it down

Box truck without a doubt. Get yourself a propane heat/ac unit and stove/oven. Just put your furniture from your room at mom's house in it to start with and learn to lash it down when you're driving. Keep it looking like either a rental moving van (yellow) or a commercial vehicle (white with a big decal) and people will ignore it.

Sounds like he's close to Boston?

>giant rolling door on the back
>not as inconspicuous as a van
>have to get out of the cab to get to your living quarters

You can cut a door from the cab to the box if you want or install a door in the side but it seems most faggots on Veeky Forums are pretty fearful and a regular ass box truck is about as secure as anything short of an armored car. Also what makes you think some old ass looking rape van is less conspicuous than the kind of work truck that you literally see everywhere and has looked the same for the last 30 years?

Because box vans don't belong in the suburbs or anywhere outside cities.

this, you only see box trucks parked near businesses, only rarely are they seen near houses unless it's a moving van or u-haul.

Why the fuck are you trying to camp in the suburbs? Park it near a construction site or literally down by the river..

Pic related is what I personally would use.

>Hard Mode: I'd also like it to be comfy.
100% on you, not the van. Living in it will already require heavy and extensive modification. Put some nice carpet in while you're at it.

What ever happened to vandweller?

He drives a semi now. Natural organic progression.

>Why the fuck are you trying to camp in the suburbs?
Because of the "no loitering" laws the cities have. Businesses are sensitive to any loiterers camped nearby and the police will attend to any complaints. At night, the businesses are closed, so parking there would be considered loitering. Once they issue a warning, the next time they see you in the city in the next 30 days doing the loiter thing, they will issue a ticket to you for loitering and a separate charge for the vehicle trespassing if it is in a store parking lot or private property. The anti-loiter law allows them to issue a ticket without consulting the owner ahead of time. You can then be sneaky and ask the owner for permission and then go to court to have the ticket against the car overturned for trespassing. However, the loitering charge against you the person will still stand.

Your best bet is a place where BLM has been active. Usually those cities grudgingly temporarily suspect loitering laws against the homeless, but you still have to move your vehicle every so often to avoid falling into either the derelict or abandoned vehicle definitions.

Every time you post I get left with a bitter taste in my mouth.
Fuck this gay earth.