Why do retards claim "there's no replacement for displacement" when turbos literally are a replacement?

Why do retards claim "there's no replacement for displacement" when turbos literally are a replacement?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=apoeGMWF17c
youtube.com/watch?v=7zBFeAPSpbM
youtube.com/watch?v=eRr1EBAR8G4
youtube.com/watch?v=UUBxWi-X9X0
youtube.com/watch?v=3H8ItG5SK9o
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>he thinks strapping a hair dryer to an engine """""replaces""""" displacement

because a 2l with a turbo would make less power than a 4l with the same turbo.

More displacement means literally more room for fuel and air.

But you need a bigger turbo, desu. More displacement.

Forced induction doesn't replace displacement, it augments it.

The only thing that i could technically see "replace" displacement is electric motors.

>0 liter mustang that can light some asses up

You can (of course) also use electric motors to aid ICEs to increase power and torque dramatically when needed.

What if, with enough time electric motors start replacing ICE on the drag strip and eventually in motorsports in general once they can be made much more lightweight and durable when pushed hard. id honestly be all for that if most/all of our engines are going to sound like your generic V6 anyway.

>if the peak HP is the same everything else is the same

>ITT:
>no replacement for displacement
vs
>when the turbo spins bullshit ends

WHO WILL BE VICTORIOUS?!

>What if, with enough time electric motors start replacing ICE on the drag strip and eventually in motorsports in general once they can be made much more lightweight and durable when pushed hard.
it's already happening.
youtube.com/watch?v=apoeGMWF17c
youtube.com/watch?v=7zBFeAPSpbM

>turbo
excuse me?

Because a bigger engine can have a turbo added to it for even more power.
At the cost of space, weight, or cams of course.

>what is consistent powerband

>turbos replace displacement

Not exactly. They can allow for big power on smaller engines, but greater displacement allows for improved spool on a given turbo.

A 1.8l engine won't spin a GT2871R as fast as a 2.4, for instance.

There's also the venerable supercharger. As long as the engine runs it efficiently.

Because they are retards.

And the 4L would make as much power as a bigger engine without a turbo, thus replacing displacement, all you have done is move the bracket of the replaced displacement up.

Because a turbo 2L will make as much power as a NA 4L.

And you can rinse and repeat that cycle for a while until eventually you get to the physical limitations of what is actually doable. But no matter what, a larger displacement engine will always be more capable than a smaller engine.

Turbos are an excellent stand in, or actual replacement. But if you want Max power, then you need a bigger engine.

Have fun being mad small engine fags.

At the sacrifice of weight and efficiency....

>turbos literally are a replacement
You mean supplement.

Whoa. Gears on an electric car?!

This!

there is a replacement for displacement, it's called precision fitted components

It'd probably make less actually, cos it'd have a restriction, and itd be making like 0 boost at high revs

>talking shit in a car that runs 16s....

>when turbos are literally a replacement

Thing is, you could outrun a n/a high displacement V8 with a boosted I4, but you give half of that boost to the V8, it'll wipe the floor with the 4 banger. There is no replacement for displacement because providing an I4 and a V8 with the same amount of boost will always yield the same result, with higher displacement yielding more power every time.

supercharger a shit

>as much power with a bigger engine without a turbo
>without a turbo

That's when we boost it. You don't see people with boosted LS motors bitching about N/A V12s, do you? Then why complain?

>roots supercharger

Only if it sings that pretty whine, user.

>moving the goalposts

Small engine fags mad

well op tell me whats better
a 800hp honda with a 1.6 and a turbo the size of a watermellon? or a healthy 7 liter small block making the same hp?

Nice job moving goalposts

nope. say you had to make 800hp.
op claimed turbos are a replacement.

i say a v8 can do it better without a power adder

It still makes 800 hp. Your argument is invalid

done.
youtube.com/watch?v=eRr1EBAR8G4
youtube.com/watch?v=UUBxWi-X9X0

ok sure. it does. but does it do the job well?
as well as the v8 would?
granted it would have to be a pretty high strung v8 with a pretty insane camshaft, but will it?

That's not the argument. Nice job moving goalposts. It still makes 800 HP. Thus it's a replacement.

Increase displacement -> greater torque
Make engine spin higher -> greater HP

fuck off retard. Whether it makes 800 HP or not is not the point. The point really is how much of that power is actually usable.
It all depends on where the power band is. If your turbo I4 makes 800 HP but doesn't start making power until 7,000 RPM, it's not all that usable, is it? But say an 8000 RPM 800 HP LS7 7.0L is compared? Due to the displacement, the powerband will start MUCH sooner, between 3 and 4k in most cases. It is therefore MUCH more usable.
These power band comparisons are why the Chevrolet Camaro Z28 monster the Mustang Boss 302 in Trans Am racing. The Mustang's 302 was very peaky, while the Chevy's 302 had a strong power band, even if it was 10-15 HP down.
And similar comparisons exist in motorsports today. In drifting for example, you constantly see I4 turbos being replaced with big displacement V8's. Why? Because of the more usable power band.
Face it kid. There is no replacement for displacement, unless you're using electric motors.
youtube.com/watch?v=3H8ItG5SK9o

Yes, it is the point. Dumbass

enjoy your dyno queens

>there's NO replacement for displacement
>unless you're using electric motors
Is everyone on Veeky Forums retarded?

Power curve and engine response will always be better on a n/a engine. This is literally an unarguable fact.

>48 psi of boost
>48 psi

is this an engine or a grenade?

GM's 2.0L Ecotec drag cars run over 50 PSI on an unmodified production block. Crank, pistons, and rods are still aftermarket though.
>1400 HP