Fuck me I love small pick ups

fuck me I love small pick ups
FF, RWD, AWD
I dont care
I just wish I could have a small light weight truck.
not small by truck standards, the bed is part of the rest of the truck and it really is just a car.

I understand that real truck guys give these cars a lot of shit because they're not as useful as the big trucks, but fuck man I just really miss these things.
besides there is a clear utility to having a bed over other storage
I just want to buy one of them and dump money into turning them into a little fun canyon carver

Does anyone else share my niche fetish? anyone have small pick up pictures?

Other urls found in this thread:

hoonable.com/this-shop-built-the-compact-pickup-you-always-wanted/
motoring.com.au/ford-fg-falcon-styleside-and-cab-chassis-ute-6492/
smythkitcars.com/#!blank-1/r0v6q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>fwd pickup

Easy find a car you like and cut the back end out, It's not hard at all

>small pickup
Utes m8

Got a Jetta?

They also expanded the kit to MK5 cars so you can get your I5 sound

>453kg payload
No thanks.

Like you said, their cool, but useless for actual truck duties.

Nah.

Well if you want to haul around a literal two tones of salt, just buy a truck not a 'small pick up'

A friend of mine had a Dodge Rampage in high school. Holy fuck that thing was terrible.

>Can't put anything heavy in the bed because the suspension can't handle it, thus pretty much entirely defeating the purpose
>Can't tow
>FWD so can't even do mad skidz
>2 seats is annoying as fuck and you don't even get the benefits of having a sporty shitbox like an MR2
>Could technically fit 3 people up front but not if you like shifting

On the other hand he managed to fuck a really, really fat bitch in it one time which was surprising since it had a pretty tiny interior in the first place.

Pretty much this.

These things are just larger sedans missing the truck door.

The purpose of a truck is to go where cars can't normally go and haul what cars can't normally haul. These things are just, 'Ayy sometimes i carry dirty things, fucks up my trunk carpet (something i don't understand why it exists). Lets replace it with something plastic, and get rid of the trunk door'

>dat brat. Hnnngggg!!
We never got many utes in Denmark. We had the Sierra P 100 and some people turned 80's and 90's Mercedes wagons into utes. Other than that, the small pickup market was mostly hilux and king cab country.

Recently found these gems

dodge rampage

>tfw no cobra jet ranchero

In real life those were fucking awful. No weight over the solid rear axle trying to put hurp horsepower to the ground.

Looks stupid with that front though. It's too round for the rest of the car, only works in combination with the sedan's or hatchback's rounded ass. Also you can implant a VR6 into either generation.

In real life all american muscle cars were and are awful. None of them can put any power to ground.

Fun fact guise, Ford produced a Durango before Dodge did. Granted, not many of them, I think it was in cooperation with some body shop, and it was based on the Fairmont so it wasn't entirely great, but I think they're unterrated and I hope as many of them as possible are preserved for the future.

It becomes a lot better looking when you put muscle wheels on it.

Also the entire rear panel is the tail gate so the tail lights flip down with it, so I'm not sure how it would be legal to drive with the tail gate down.

Also Europeans love turning cars into pickups just for giggles. Here's a few W124s.

I think this one was actually a commercial kit or some body shop's small scale serial production.

I doubt Ford really produced it then. Just seems like some shop doing a hack job on a Fairmont.

It was indeed done by some body shop, but in serial production and to my knowledge with Ford's official approval and official sales at a bunch of Ford dealers.

453kg is basically a half ton truck.

If you want to carry heavier loads, get an actual truck.

Also there's a body shop in Austria that turns Suzuki Jimnys into pickups with an in-house developed kit, and they're officially sold by Suzuki in Austria for small municipal tasks like carrying handiwork equipment.

How about a Tranny

hoonable.com/this-shop-built-the-compact-pickup-you-always-wanted/

Or in fact for plowing sidewalks and narrow winding roads since it's only the size of a side by side ATV.

>single rear wheels
He ain't gonna carry shit with that thing. I know they're available with double rear wheels, but that one is a bad example. Also

>mfw the VW Transporter is already available as a single cab or crew cab stake side flatbed, but people will still go out of their way to turn it into an American style integrated body pickup

>453kg is basically a half ton truck.
protip, a "1/2 ton" is not indicative of the pickup's payload you nimrod.

Muh el co

Did they ever sell it like that or did you throw a Monte Carlo front clip onto it?

>tfw no Fordcury Cougero

Ive got an 09 ranger. Why shouldnt i throw a flatbed on it?

>why shouldn't I throw a more practical bed on it?
Only the illogical will argue against this.

It was sold like that, but modified in the kin of 4th gen camaro slp ss. Company called choochoo customs did the front end as well as other very minor modifications to it, just appearance. The front end took a year to grow on me.

Better view

This guy gets it.
They're fucking utes OP.

At least you posted something that has a payload marginally greater than 453kg, and doesn't even need oxcart suspension either.

And if you want something with a bigger payload:
>Three levels of suspension are available to Falcon Ute buyers: a 750kg payload, a one-tonne heavy-duty payload and a 500kg sports-tune payload
motoring.com.au/ford-fg-falcon-styleside-and-cab-chassis-ute-6492/

>500kg sports-tune payload
>still handles like a small pickup truck
No thanks mate.

>protip, a "1/2 ton" is not indicative of the pickup's payload you nimrod.
You're wrong, butt breath.

What do you expect, it's a Ford.

>telling others they wrong when you're wrong
Did they accidentally administer nitrous oxide instead of oxygen at your birth?

>tfw no Rampage/Scamp to 2.2 Turbo III swap

Yes, two of the big ones.

>all those fucking El Camino front swap possibilities
It's like a god damn puzzle game! I want to own them all!

Brats are badass, I would love to restore one and engine swap it.

it's like my first wet dream come true

hon

i want one

>bed for a weekday
>cabrio for the weekend

>you'll never own this glorious slavmobile

Is that a dick with green balls on the B pillar?

Apparently it's a frog.

FWD can skid your friend is just SHIT

>leaks worse than a chinese sunroof

no thanks

It doesnt

Depends on what you call small. To me small trucks are what many call mid-size, like your dakotas, rangers, S10s, etc. I love those. Plenty of utility, especially if you get one in 4wd, but better mileage than your fuck huge F150, Silverado, and other full-size pick ups. The ones in the OP pic I don't even think of as trucks. Calling those trucks is like calling an el camino a truck. They aren't. They're cars with a bed.

>MUH TRUCK
>MUH TRUCK
DUN DE DUN DE DUN DE DUN
WANG BANG DAM ON A SATURDAY NIIIIGHT

Trucks already have their own 'segments'.

Just follow the normal scheme:
1/4 ton truck, your rangers and dakotas and tacomas.
1/2 ton truck, muh 150, rams and shit
3/4 ton truck, muh 250s and 2500s and shit.
1 ton trucks, fucking 350 and 3500 and shit.

By the way, the ton is almost meaningless now, since most 1/2 ton trucks can carry over a ton. The 150 ecoboost 3.5 liter can carry 1.5 tons for example. But it helps set the minimum for a truck rating.

So if you have a 'truck' like idk a subaru brat with it's rating of 350lb (stock) it's simply not a truck because it isn't even in the 1/4 segment.

But then you have dakotas, which with the small cab and v8 in the last gen where almost carrying a ton in the bed. But still in the 1/4 segment.

So long story short. If you want a truck, and it can't carry at least 1/4 ton. Then it's not a truck.
If it's a truck that's in the 1/4 ton segment, but carrying 1 ton, then it's a very capable 1/4 ton.

Underestimate.

>f150 can carry 3000 pounds
Wat

That's pretty damn confusing. Because like you said, I have a dakota and it's rated to haul 1 ton of shit.

Well my dakota is rated for 1 ton so a big ass F150 better be able to haul more.

>That's pretty damn confusing. Because like you said, I have a Dakota and it's rated to haul 1 ton of shit.
Yea i got that wrong, the 2011 Dakota is rated for 1,700 with a 2x4 and v8 magnum, with the smallest cab.

Someone on a forum just carried over 2000 lbs in it.

>F150
According to ford the new 150 can carry 3,300 in it's bed. That still puts it over the 1 ton mark.

The point is that a 1/4 truck should carry at least a 1/4 ton. The max payload of a Colorado 2015 is 1,630 that's over 1/2 ton, but it's still a 1/4 ton truck. Tacoma is 1,500 for 2015.

Anyway, the point is that if something cannot haul a combined payload of at least a 1/4 ton, it shouldn't be considered a truck.

Whether a truck in a 1/4 truck category can haul almost a ton like a Dakota should be irrelevant since there is no reason it should be relevant.

It's just to answer when an open truck is a truck and when it's not.

Okay, so bed and tow are different. Makes a bit more sense. Especially since I was told 1 ton but can see its rated from the manufacturer to tow 4800 lbs. Guess I'm not meant to be a truck guy.

No it's fine.

Honestly the whole truck labeling thing a bit outdated. But so are most things that have deep historical origins

>7.62 x 54r is actually 7.92 diameter

Anyway. Payload is what goes on/in the truck. Tow is whats dragged behind. Small but important distinction.

Some trucks have a total carrying of a payload PLUS a tow. But most trucks have a total carry of all this payload OR all this tow.

So a tacoma can't tow 3500 lb while also carrying 1500 lbs. Or it probably could, but it's not rated to. It can tow all 3500 behind, or 1500 in the bed. Or some combination that makes sure it doesn't exceed the limits.

I'm sure there's some function for this.

>Anyway, the point is that if something cannot haul a combined payload of at least a 1/4 ton, it shouldn't be considered a truck.
I would like to point out that these kits:
are rated for a 6-700 lbs payload in the bed, which is over 1/4 ton.

>rated for a 6-700 lbs payload in the bed
Then it's a 1/4 ton truck.

Also wasn't this jetta just a one off, thing done by some dude? I want to know how they got that payload rating, cos car companies put a massive safety margin on payload for their trucks, because no ones going to measure if they're putting 3500 or whatever pounds in or more.

I need a truck, my CRV just can't do it anymore.

nope. Not a one-off. You can buy a kit from them to do it for $3500.
smythkitcars.com

Consider this. You cut off the roof and remove the rear doors and seats. The new side panels are fiberglass. In the end, the resulting pickup truck is a lot lighter, increasing the amount of weight you can put in the rear before you hit the payload limit of the original sedan. You can increase the limit somewhat by using the rear springs from the wagon variant.

checked their website. They say you can load the bed up to 750 lbs, more than I thought. Still over 1/4 of a ton.
smythkitcars.com/#!blank-1/r0v6q

>nope. Not a one-off. You can buy a kit from them to do it for $3500.
It's still not an officially rated payload. The truck companies rate thier trucks with a massive safety margin. So a Tacoma can probably carry 2000 lb in the bed, with not too many ill or long lasting effects. But it's officially rated to 1500.

But if this jetta thing can carry 1/4 ton or more, it's a 1/4 ton truck.