Tfw too scared to get underneath my car with jack stands or ramps

>tfw too scared to get underneath my car with jack stands or ramps

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_VMktceKvQI
youtube.com/watch?v=8OyzbGDn6xg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>tfw no ecoboost

>Have lowered car (From the factory so low as fuck)
>Low Profile jack wont fit without 'love'
>Only jackpoints are bent to fuck
Fuck my life

>Cant even use jackstands
kill me

I shove a 2x4 under the car and leverage it up to get that last little bit of clearance, I don't have plastic side moldings though.

>Not lifting the car with your bare(bear) hands

DYEL

>ramps

I have solid pine ramps made from logs.

>tfw your front fascia with scrape-o-matic air dam is too low to drive up onto ramps

>ramp splits
>your skull gets splattered all over the floor

Hasn't happened in the last 50 years we have used them.

The same ramps?

Correct.

I know that feel, bro.
My only vehicle for years was a lifted Wrangler on 35's. You didn't have to jack it up for anything. Oil changes, exhaust work, dropping the transmission or transfer case, it could all be done on a creeper with all 4 tires on the ground. Then I went and bought a fifth gen Mustang. The first time I jacked it up for an oil change I put it on stands and left a jack barely touching the lift points on each side. I made sure it was in gear with the parking brake set, tried shaking the car every direction to make sure it was stable, had a cousin helping just so I wouldn't be under it alone.. and was still nervous as fuck the whole time.

I have ramps but don't see the point anymore. If I'm going to do an oil change, I should rotate the tires too, so the car needs to be put it up on jack stands anyway.

Fucking factory skirts.

im gonna get some wood blocks shove em in the boot

wood boards do wonders. Just be sure to wedge them against your tires and onto the ramp or you'll shoot them back off the end of your driveweay and hit some kid on a skateboard.

That's terrifying, mate.

Advice taken. Thank you, user.

>put the second set of tires underneath lowest points.
>add rectangle wood, if need be

Better the car broken than me.
If you've got the means to get the car that high, you could even put the second set of wheels under the ones on the car.

I know that feel.
Had to build some ramps to get my car on to the actual ramps.

Genius

News flash: Cars can easily kill you if you're stupid whether in them going 65 mph or under them with improper support.

Ants aren't that likely to get killed.

Buddy I tried to find the full size version of that image but I haven't posted it in so long the archive only had the thumbnail. The original might be on my basement computer but it wasn't much bigger.

>suicide pit
Enjoy dying of carbon monoxide

How about turning your car off.

same shit op, along with
>floor jack moves a half inch with each pump when lifting the car

A little fear is good, it helps you pay attention to what the fuck you're doing

>Had honda civic with 4" of ground clearance
>Off-roaded civic and somehow smashed a gash in the oil pan
>Never leave home without JB quik weld and extra oil
>lift car with one rickety sissor jack
>climb under car with no jack stand, highway traffic flying by at night with fat girlfriend still in the car
>patching hole with epoxy and cheesecloth.

Zero fucks given and that epoxy job still holding strong.

I have giant thick timber blocks I put under the ends of the car as a safety measure, should the lifts or jacks give out the car will fall a half inch and rest on the blocks and give me space to scurry out. I will never rely on jacks or ramps alone.

then why post it at all?

Because it's related

stick a wheel under there
>moar safe
see this guy gets it, extra redundancy

also:
>dat sound of a vehicle falling off a jack or stand
>a terrible metal scrape of a brown note
>a cacophony of nope
youtube.com/watch?v=_VMktceKvQI

>fat grill in car
>using a scissorjack
I applaud you sir, as a fwd owner with a fat grill you are much braver than me

>ITT: people who don't shake the vehicle whne it's on stands
youtube.com/watch?v=8OyzbGDn6xg

>go to lower car
>License plate gets caught in foam grip of floor jack handle
>Pinned between jack and car
>Wakemeupinside.png

Then put a spare tire and wheel under it when you go under.

The likelihood of most Jack stands failing is remote tho.

>sold my SUV
>buying a foxbody
>literally never even owned a jack/stands because I could just crawl under the car for anything I had to do

Put a fan in it.

this desu
there is nothing like the accomplishment feeling after pushing your car up while they change the tire or do what ever they were going to do down there

Is he going to help, or just cheer?

You underestimate the compression strength of wood.

>working at chain store in auto department
>using lift with bottle jacks on it
>exhausted, near the end of the day, 102 degrees in an open-face shop
>lift in the last bay is slightly different from the other two lifts with bottle jacks
>and missing a few safety features
>finish M&B new tires on a BMW go below the jack to start to bring it down, only the rear is jacked up on the bottles
>there are two levers on the bottle jack
>they are not labelled on the last bay
>I am tired as fuck and overheated
>grab handle
>pull
>THUNK
>look up at the car
>realize what I just did as the bottle jack begins to inch backwards
>last thought before it starts to tip over is the lease I just signed
>my face

Nobody noticed but my coworker who helped me flip the jack back the right way and get the car off the lift. Nothing ever came of it, thank god. I still chose to stop turning wrenches and started selling parts instead.

Every time I'm jacking my car up it scares me until I start working on whatever it is. After that I don't give a shit because I'm too caught up in what I'm doing.

I've simply found a rent-a-bay in my area for that reason and use a full blown lift. Whenever I need to go I do everything I can first, then diligently order and schedule everything that needs to be done up on the lift to get out of the bay faster and cheaper. There's only so much you can prepare for though. At least it's only $20/hr rental for a lift bay, including tools, and there's master techs there you can either ask questions or hire to help you for an hourly rate. Also it's like 4 miles from my house.

Mine is slightly lower than stock I can still get under the car to change oil somewhat comfortably I'm also kinda skinny so that helps

Is it bad that I wanna see that with a two inch lift, knobbies and rally lights? I would love to see that tearing up some dirt.

>know my car's jacking points
>have floor jack and jack stands
>can't use them because my driveway is at an incline

Wow. That takes effort.

I guess it is bad then. Maybe dunes in a straight line?

Is that a body lift

at least his plate is right

>tfw you knew a local guy who died when his car slipped off the ramp and crushed him

yes

it happened to one of my cousins. he did not die but it was NOT pretty. crushed a few bones and he was bedridden for weeks.

>plate

Yeah this guy might have lived but he was working alone at night and no one found him until morning. He didn't die instantly.

I
do
not
trust
ramps
period.

If I need the car higher up than solid jackstands and a floorjack can get it, I'm renting a bay with a full lift. End of story. Those fuckers can be steep as shit, and I swear to god I've seen some made out of some kind of rubber or plastic. Just fucking no, man.

>didn't die instantly
FUCKING NO. JUST FUCKING NO.

well if he had a saw nearby maybe he could have cut off a limb and saved himself

Fuck that user
I fell into one when I was 6 and landed on some Asian dude

if I wanted ramps I would probably just build one out of wood. wood isn't going to fail like HOLLOW PLASTIC.

It's just way too convenient to rent a bay four miles from my house if I need to lift it.

aye, if I knew anywhere to do that I would too.

>Incline

Step up, senpai.

Google it. I was surprised.

Oh man, you are a Darwin Award in waiting.

I can't figure out what a good term is. I've tried "rent car bay" "rent car lift and bay" "rent car garage" "diy garage". What is the standardized term?

automotive lift for rent

I guess my area is just shit, I've found one thing remotely relevant and it's only a self service salvage yard. (grand rapids, mi)

o well that's ok.

lel

I remember the jack sank into the asphalt shoulder like an inch which made me feel better about climbing under.

It was pretty sturdy with the fat chick weighing down the opposite wheel as well.

Lol you guys are faggots

>tfw on slow days in the shop I'd torque the floor mounting bolts on the 2 post lifts to OEM recommended 150 ft lbs.

>tfw it takes more then 180 degrees of rotation on 1 of the 8 nuts on each lift

when you raise your car pretty high on loose gravel then start kicking bell housing bolts loose laying on your back, you get used to the feeling of having 1600kg above your head

Man that is the worse. I sheered off a floor bolt once, the fuck huge torque wrench was'nt calibrated and a cheater pipe and breaker bar, it got weirdly easy.

I never told anybody. Hope it's okay.

I have a similar story from college.

>riding along in my automobile
>went about 40 over two railroad tracks
>little did I know there was about a 6 inch drop inbetween the two tracks
>bottom the fuck out hard and punch a hole straight through transmission oil pan
>make it 20 miles back to dorm parking lot
>no jack, say fuck it, leave it overnight
If anyone here has ever worked on an automatic transmission they'll know they're never truly completely empty
>Early morning next day I come out with a socket set and ratchet
>the entire section of the parking lot I parked in is completely flooded and slippery as all fuck with transmission fluid
>push car to another part of the parking lot while everybody sleeps
>proceed to unbolt transmission oil pan for the next two hours, with my arms completely, fully stretched out reaching the bolts cuz lolnojack
>pound the pavement to autozone and pick up JB weld and 12 quarts of fluid
>slather the fuck out of the oilpan with that shit, adding torn up notebook paper along the way
>the ratio of JB weld to paper is about 60/40 at this point
>my god what the fuck am i doing
>after letting it sit overnight it actually turns out strong as fuck.
>my paper mache oil pan actually held long enough to get me 400 miles home that year.

In hindsight, I'm not entirely sure why I didn't just buy a new fucking transmission oil pan.

Dude, I go under my car all the time, you have absolutely nothing to worry about

>>slather the fuck out of the oilpan with that shit, adding torn up notebook paper along the way
>>the ratio of JB weld to paper is about 60/40 at this point
>>my god what the fuck am i doing

this part made me kek.

as you should be

safety is of utmost importance when dealing with anything dangerous. having your body intact is worth any amount of 'time lost'

>KNOW I have a fuel leak
>Can't find any drips lying on the ground or in the engine bay
>Don't want to jack it up just to find out I have no fuel lines and my engine runs on magic

Enjoy burning to death like Paul Walker. I hope you carry a fire extinguisher

I do not, but I look forward to a sudden fire

Let go user...

is that a black limited replica ?

thats the wrong android head user

Your level is upside down, weekender.

I had a gas tank fall on me while under a car. scary shit even though I knew it was on stands

I like to live dangerously
>FYI trans is dropped at this point

I know that feel bro!

4146 lbs '98 explorer.

I was very scared but managed to get the job done with out getting underneath it and using a tire on the side I was working on for safety.

What did you use to lower your transmission?

>Tfw only have a sissorjack

>Start getting into cars
>Terrified of being underneath car
>Friend of mine says he'll teach me
>Feeling good, he says we're going to change the O2 sensor on my car since it's out
>Gets two floor jacks and jacks up the car
>"But what about the jackstands?"
>"No dude jack stands are dangerous"
>Leave, buy jackstands and ramps and do the repair myself without dying

Turns out this guy's a complete idiot when it comes to cars, even though he thinks he knows everything. I've got plenty of stories.

>need to pull trans from my 85 3/4 ton chevy
>jack truck up and old cracked cinderblocks under tires
>use jack, 2x4's, and 3 ratchet tie downs to pull trans out

Keep in mind, this thing, without anyone in the cab (weighed it at a waste recycling place once) is just over 5300lbs.

Whoa how deep was that hole?

kek