So Im looking at a blown head gasket. Most likely cause is a warped head from overheating...

So Im looking at a blown head gasket. Most likely cause is a warped head from overheating, which was caused by a blown head gasket, whos cause is yet unknown.

So now I have a choice to make. Do I replace the engine, at 180k miles or just replace the head and valves? Arent valves the usual cause of burning oil in old engines?

The warping was not due to the headgasket. The warping was due to overheating due to a lack of coolant.

Burning oil could be valve seals or piston rings

If the body is in good shape, why not put a new engine in?

Blown headgasket caused the car to lose an abnormal amount of coolant in a short period of time, was the point. I take it for granted that most posters are smart enough to make that connection them selves with out explaining every tedious detail.

Its not burning oil, im looking in to the future for when it does inevitably does start burning oil. Just cant decide, replacing the whole engine is going to cost double but will save money down the road if piston rings are more likely to go bad than valves.

So you weren't watching your temp gauge?

If the head is warped, you will have to see if you can even get it and the block decked. If not, you'll have to get a new engine anyway.

* in addition, a headgasket can blow and no coolant can be lost. Maybe consider all options before being a prick and speaking down to someone who's dealt with blown headgaskets longer than you've been alive.

The block is iron, head is aluminum. Im not worried at all about the block. The leak is coming from the head gasket and all the signs are telling me a warped head.

What im I supposed to drive down the road just looking at the engine temp rather than the road.

Stop questioning the head gasket. You may have worked on many head gaskets but you have not worked on this one. Ive been dealing with this thing for 2 weeks. 2 weeks tried to find the reason I went through half my coolant in one week with no signs other than the blown headgasket. People on forums always want to question obvious shit when they assume the person just flippantly decided to seek advice. I see shit like this all the time. Do a forum search for a question and have to read 3 pages of people asking questions than answering the one question the person game there with. I dont seek advice until I have exhausted my own abilities. Which is where I am now.

The head has to come off and replacing and engine costs about as much as a headgasket costs in labor. What I do not know is how often piston rings go bad vs valves.

No, but you should check the gauge regularly.
Do you ever look at your speedometer?

Labor is free, you have two hands, right?
A new engine is going to cost a lot more than $100 worth of head and intake gaskets.

Yeah, Ill just ask my local mechanic. Should have known better than to think I could get a straight answer to a difficult question that I my self cant answer.

It's a straight answer, asshole.
It's cheaper to do the gasket and get the head magnafluxed and decked.

Why are you so worried about burning a little bit of oil? If it's not already burning oil, it won't for a while. You won't just wake up one day and burn a quart of oil.
Both valve SEALS and piston rings go bad. Unless I know the engine you're talking about, I have no idea how I should tell you about how your engine is going to fail.

Fuck you are dumb, get out.

Because I plan to have this truck for a long time and over a long enough period of time, burning oil is inevitable. Im also not confident enough to take the head off over a single weekend and put it back together with out fucking it up. So I have to consider the long run and the cost.

Just doing the head gasket will be cheaper with mostly labor costs. Replacing the engine will cost about the same in labor but doubling the cost from buying an engine. But its also possible that replacing the valves while Im at it will incur a small extra fee and giving me just as good as a new engine.

>What im I supposed to drive down the road just looking at the engine temp rather than the road.

I think this is the stupidest thing I have ever read on here, and I've seen some shit.

>of course i ran out of gas, What im I supposed to drive down the road just looking at the fuel level rather than the road?
>sorry officer I didn't realize how fast I was going, What im I supposed to drive down the road just looking at the speedometer rather than the road?

That webm is so fucking rough man.. Did she literally just get torn apart by a motorcycle? And how dumb is that guy..

>ITZ SAD CUZ ITS Z GURL
Yeah, fucking around in busy traffic makes you the real victim.

White knighting for some chick you saw in a webm won't make her dead corpse fuck you.

Loss of coolant could still be the piston rings.

Wasn't that hit-and-run when she got clipped?

She's just like all those mad pedestrians that keep walking behind my car as I back out of a parking spot. Even when the car is moving, they walk right into the path.

you are a cunt

>Wasn't that hit-and-run when she got clipped?

>Even when the car is moving, they walk right into the path.
Not sure how it works in the US, but over here, the driver has to look out for and give way to everyone, including pedestrians when performing a maneuver such as backing out of a parking spot.

Tbh it just looks like her leg partially got ripped off. What do you expect when prancing around the street like a drunk whore

iirc the motorcycle guys shoe fell off and that's part of what you see hit the ground in video

It's called having empathy, if you were a meaningful part of society you'd feel it too. You honestly don't think people would feel bad if that was a guy getting destroyed by some dumbass motorcyclist?

But look at the video still mang her thigh looks super broken man.

Maybe not 'ripped in half' but that's still months of recovery.

>Even when the car is moving, they walk right into the path.

In the USA, it is never right to run over the pedestrian even if they jaywalk in the road like this black girl. Black Lives Matter will make it an issue and you will be fined as well as paying for her rehab and lost future wages. Correct, you can be held liable to pay for potential future wages lost because you eliminated their opportunity to work. If you only have minimal insurance, all these other court-ordered costs will come as a shock.