Truck Thread

Post about trucks in here. Ask questions or buying advice or spam pictures of your rust buckets.

Other urls found in this thread:

maine.craigslist.org/cto/5689999584.html
automotiveavenuesnj.com/detail-2010-nissan-frontier-4wd_crew_cab_lwb_automatic_le-used-15244121.html
automotiveavenuesnj.com/detail-2006-toyota-tacoma-sr5_double_cab_trd_off_road_package_4_0l_v6-used-15182734.html
automotiveavenuesnj.com/detail-2012-toyota-tacoma-4x4_access_cab_sr5_4_0l_v6-used-15123317.html
denver.craigslist.org/pts/5661442768.html
fordification.com/tech/Ibeamsspindles.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm purchasing a 2008 Ranger today with the 2.3 L engine and manual transmission. According to ford the towing capacity is only 1400 lbs for the stock ball hitch on the bumper. If I mount a new tow receiver to the frame, will that increase my towing capacity? Or would I need to re-gear to do that?

I have no need for towing now, but it would be nice to have the capacity to pull a bass boat in the future.

Currently have a CR-V but I've really been wanting to get a truck now that I have a full-time job. Don't need anything large, so I came across this
maine.craigslist.org/cto/5689999584.html

Honestly I could care less for the lift but the 4x4 capability would be nice for winter. The main thing I'm hesitant about is the mileage, but I know that rangers are common and probably not that hard for me to do my own work on. Does anyone know if there's anything in here I should be worried about, or would this be a decent deal?

>4 cylinder Ranger
>bass boat

That'll suck so bad you'll only do it once

Your not goign to be towing much with a 2.3 ranger.

I wouldn't go anywhere near a SOHC 4.0 with 211k on it.

Didn't think so. By the time I could afford a boat I'd be able to afford a nicer truck anyway.

Why are 90's Chevs the best trucks ever made?

How hard would it be to take a 99 dakota that is 2wd and make it 4wd? Also back in the day my moms old ford you could switch between 2 and 4wd, can you still do that? Because if you can, that's what I'd like to do with the dakota. Be damn nice when I try to get to some of the more remote fishing areas or just plain get to some of them after a good rain.

You are obviously not a legal US citizen.

My new job requires me to buy a truck, currently I drive an 08 Honda Accord so I have absolutely zero experience with trucks.

I've been shopping around and I figured since I'm going to daily the thing I may as well get the top trim version with all the nice shit. I've narrowed it down to the new Tacoma, Colorado, or Frontier, also ranked in that order.

Question is, are there any trucks I should consider? Also what do ya'll think of the new Tacoma?

What are you using the truck for?

Tacos are awesome but buying a new truck is fucking ridiculous. Go buy a slightly older one. For fucks sake some of the new trucks are damn near as expensive as a house, and that's BEFORE you get all the options.

Carrying tools and parts for appliances mostly. I did want to get a 4x4 though because I've always dreamed of going innawoods, or in my case innadessert and shooting some guns/camping.

I looked into that but the used market here is fucking ridiculous. A 10 year old Tacoma with 100,000 miles still goes for $14k. The 2016 Tacoma I priced out on toyotas website came out to about $36000 which I find a little bit more reasonable considering it's a brand new vehicle.

I know, I got a 99 dakota for 5000 with about the same mileage. And I was damn lucky. They were asking about 1k over what the truck was worth but I needed a truck and it was that or nothing. As for the tacos you were pricing, I have to ask, was it the top trim level with all the options? Because 36k for a taco with everything on it sounds a bit cheap.

Yep $36,340 for the 2016 Tacoma TRD
V6 4x4 with Access cab and tech package

Nice, though not the top level like you mentioned. I checked their builder thingy and got a limited to over $45k.

Basically impossible, sorry.
>15537451
Tacomas are the best tacos. Since the Ranger is out of production it's the only good truck left in the us market. Its also why they hold absurd prices on the used market because everyone knows this.

It's not that bad. I used my 2.3 manual to tow a company trailer with a Bobcat multiple times and yes it was a dog around town but it worked fine. That motor is gutless but it has plenty of torque.

Which part of making it 4wd is impossible? Making a toggle type thing or just doing it general? I know they were offered in 4wd with the V6 and V8.

dont buy a boat. worst investment ever

But how will I catch fish? Only cucks fish from the bank.

>not building your own canoe on shore in 2 hours prior to fishing

Rebuilding the engine in my 97 F150. Intake manifold gasket went and I wasn't paying attention much and when I changed the oil I noticed it was absolutely full of coolant. Since it's at 270,000 miles and it's been running with coolant in the oil, I figure it's time for a rebuild. Is there anything special I have to do in order to store the parts without them rusting long term? Just a healthy coat of machine oil?

Do early 2000s Chevys make the cut too?

Don't count a Frontier out yet. They don't have the aesthetics or name recognition of a Taco, but they're also underrated work horses with a cult following.

You can max one out for much less than a Toyota and still have money for parts.

What's a good starter truck? I want to lift it and be a redneck and shit

Pick anything 89-01 and go for it. Chevy C/K series are immensely popular due to their sheer availability. Look it over thoroughly for rust, neglect, damage and afro-engineering. Once you do, parts are literally all around you and the aftermarket is as wide as the day is long. Go nuts.

I can't help but be against lifting trucks, but to each his own. Listen to

Just oil coat is fine.
Store crankshaft standing up, if its lying down it can warp (although this usually takes years).
I had a pair of heads flash rust on the way home from the head shop. Carpet in trunk was slightly damp and it only took an hour.
If/when you have the crank machined, install it as quickly as possible. Actually, install anything that was freshly machined quickly.

Lifted my bronco, worse kit ever.
Basically destroyed the ride quality.
My 66 f100 was a different story- improved ride quality.

But that's the difference in kits.
Bronco was bolt-on drop brackets from rough country.
66 was a custom job I did, bent beams and extended radius arms.

I only did the bronco because it was a brand new kit from a donor truck (someone's project they never finished), otherwise I never would have done it.

I installed countless lifts when I worked in a custom shop. But unless you're the actual owner, you never realize the difference in feel.

Some trucks do well with lifts, but it really is a combination of vehicle and lift manufacturer.

My $800 rough country lift on the bronco is garbage, but a $4,000 kit from Autofab is godly and would have been very different.

My pet peeve comes more from people lifting 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks to the point where you couldn't even use it for its original design. (too tall for a goose neck trailer/hazard to tow with heavy loads, shit like that) Hate seeing lifted dualies. I'm fine with people doing that shit to 1/2 tons for the most part. Like I said earlier, to each his own, but it's just a personal pet peeve.

>spam pictures of your rust bucket
I feel personally invited into this particular truck thread thanks!

What's a good truck I can buy old and used for 1000-1800 that'll do well offroading a bit as well as commuting? I am poor. What specific models would you recommend and why?

Hey it's me from two years ago! I stretched the same budget literally as far as it will go to get my rusty Ram. If you want something less rusty it'll have more miles on it and/or be a quarter-ton. Be sure to look at Suburbans too.

Anyone done the ranger v8 swap

Noice
that your woman?

A buddy

If you even have to ask it's literally impossible for you to comprehend. But yes, it's possible.

8th or 9th generation F-150 with the 300 I6

Judging from the truck I'm going to assume family member.

Because girls only like fresh shiny cars right?

My first venture in to trucks, got this bastard for $500, 81 C20 2wd 350ci w/ Muncie 4-speed

ended up needing a timing set as well as a cam and lifers. hoping to get the whole thing back together this week

Could you be any more mexican at all

Try me.

that's not even close to beaner fresh. it's in way to good of shape.

but
just
that entire image though

things that would make it beaner
>dubs
>waterfall grille
>headlight covers
>tri tone paint job or matte paint (crashed junkyard panels or primer)

I did buy it from a Mexican guy in AZ, but I want to swap the front clip for the 73-80 style with the round lights

I'm not going to bean it out, I just want a reliable daily that I can toss shit in on the weekends

Really the only damage is the passenger door has a large, shallow deny that could be Bondo'd in like 2 seconds

More importantly, where were you swimming that late into fall?

My original fixer upper mobile

I've got a few trucks.
I need to do an updated version of this photo as I've got a few more now....

What years are those?

Hey Veeky Forums

I am looking t buy my first truck.

I have narrowed it to roughly these three trucks from the same dealer.

This one seems to be the best deal but I really wanted a Taco. Does it compare to the taco? Can it compete?
automotiveavenuesnj.com/detail-2010-nissan-frontier-4wd_crew_cab_lwb_automatic_le-used-15244121.html

This is what I was looking for, but if it isn't a good deal, I won't go for it.
automotiveavenuesnj.com/detail-2006-toyota-tacoma-sr5_double_cab_trd_off_road_package_4_0l_v6-used-15182734.html

This was my second choice.
automotiveavenuesnj.com/detail-2012-toyota-tacoma-4x4_access_cab_sr5_4_0l_v6-used-15123317.html

What do you all think of these? Could I talk the dealer down on the Taco with the TRD?

My family keeps telling me I should (and only should) ever buy from a dealer because I will have a warranty and some recourse if the car is a lemon. Is it safe to buy from strangers off craigslist if I get the car checked out by a mechanic? How much should I pay for a once over from a mechanic? How likely am I to get burned doing this?

I've never bought a car before so the advice is appreciated.

'78 Bronco here. Just picked it up 2 weeks ago, love this truck.

Hoooo buddy

Learn how to fix your own car that way you never get jewed. Also I say the older taco

Thanks. How hard are Tacos to work on? Am I good with the Haynes manual to do some simple repairs or should I spend some time at a guy I know's shop to learn some stuff? Are there any good books about trucks/offroading that are good for someone with no to minimal knowledge?

No, I'm implying that someone who drives a rusty Dodge is probably fucking one or more of his immediate relations.

Dude, fuckin' sweet pickup, especially with a Muncie in it. I've got an 81 C15 swb 2wd myself, tossed the old 305 and rebuilt the transmission when I put in a crate 350 a few months back.

>doing 4/6 drop soon, full suspension overhaul.

I've never worked on a Tacoma but I've worked on FJ's and Camrys and most Toyota parts are easy to come by and cheap so all you have to do is watch a video on whatever needs fixing and you're golden.

'
Thanks! If FJ's were cheaper I would have been interested in one of those, but it seems they only got rarer and more expensive when Toyota said they weren't making them anymore :/.

From left to right 77, 77, 78.
The F600 in the background is a '77 as well.

do you know what years the f150 or f250 from 71 ish to 78 in 2wd had 8 lug hubs with disk brakes? I need to find a donor vehicle to steal the front I-beams so I can get disk brakes. any good ideas?

Do you want a correct center grille insert for that thing? I've got a spare I could part with. I also know a guy who would have the front bumper you need.
That truck was on my same local CL so I know you aren't too far away.

Who else wishes they had enough money for a 2016 Super Duty?

I want to get one with manual windows, TCase shifter, and locking hubs before the 2017s roll out with their fancy shit.

Only F250's and F350's would have 8 lug hubs.
Power disc brakes became standard equipment for the F350 starting in 1974 I believe, with F250's following in 1977. From 1974 to 1976 roughly 60% of F250's would have disc brakes, the other 30 having drums.
Any earlier than '74 and I believe the F250/350 would have been all drum.

The I beams should be interchangeable up until 79 as well.
They shouldn't be too hard to locate. If only you were closer to me, I have a set from a '79 That I'm not going to use.

I am so happy with my superduty only had it a couple month but best powerstroke I have had.

Forgot pic.

I do

That way, I could rebuild my MJ and get it painted nice and the rust repaired, build up an XJ, buy an IS300 and do a GTE swap, and get two 2009-2014 sedans to rent out for passive income. I'm never buying a truck newer than 2008.

I know they had them earlier, but I am just looking for a better set up. and FUCK spending 300 for a rusty set up like this. thanks for the info tho

denver.craigslist.org/pts/5661442768.html

where are you located?

Thanks man, I'm pretty excited about it! Trying to get it running to get me and my shit back up to WA, whereabouts are you?

looks good man, I hope you enjoy the old truck feels. I for one need to do something about the rear leaf packs on this thing. fuck they are rough.

Central TX

I looked it up and you are correct, disc brakes were initially offered as an option on F250's starting in '68. Your best bet is still with a later 70's truck in my opinion.

true, it's surprisingly difficult finding a 2wd F250 though, none on craigslist. I will see how lucky I can get at a pick n pull.

how hard is it to remove the front I beams? I have an electric 18v makita impact and a decent toolbox.

You could buy an entire donor truck for not much more than that if you look hard enough.
Don't forget you'll need a different master cylinder, a proportioning valve from a disc brake system and all the associated brake lines.
You would probably be better off picking up an entire truck to rob parts off of rather than trying to piece it all together.

that's what I am saying.

Its not too bad, especially if the front suspension is unloaded.
Just take the springs and shocks loose, disconnect the brake lines, disconnect the steering linkage, pull the pivot bolts,and take the nuts off of the ends of the radius arms.
The impact will help, but I would bring a breaker bar and a buddy.
Shit's heavy

nice thanks. all vehicles are jacked up on old wheels and tires so they are unloaded

The way I come up some of my trucks and cars is that I'll take back roads whenever possible, and if I see something I like in a field or behind a house I'll leave a note on the gate with my phone number expressing my interest in said vehicle.

I've gotten several vehicles for just a few hundred bucks that way.

hmm I need to try that.

only American truck i would own, my 2000 3/4 ton went from being an oilfield truck to work truck to camper, things gone through hell and high water from -50c to trips to the states without an issue

Boing

Other user here.
Look into E-300 beams (Econoline vans)
They're bad ass and used for (class 8?) Baja trucks.
Beafiest beams available, might have slightly different profile at the spindle. Don't remember if pivot end is same size.

But worth looking into if you're going to do a swap.

how long did they run for? are they easy to swap?

And if you do a lift, have the beams bent, not drop brackets.
And make sure they bend the fat end (wheel end) not the small/pivot end.
A lot of shops don't have a big enough press to bend the fat end, shop around. Its worth a couple extra hundred bucks to ship to autofab in San Diego (Santee technically) if you have to.

not going to lift, this is a road vehicle.

I honestly don't remember the years, you'll have to google or hit the forums.
But the size difference is extreme.
I wish I would have used them instead of the 76 f100 beams when I did my disk conversion.
Also...
You'll need a proproting valve. An aftermarket adjustable one is best, but you can grab the one from the donlr truck.
Just follow the brake lines down to the frame - front and rear lines will be attached to a "log".

AND
Be sure that the rod on the brake pedal that goes into the master cylinder is the correct size as in length. I would also pull that from the donor and just get a new master cylinder for whatever year/model the donor is.

that's what I was planning on doing. I just need the i beam, hubs, calipers, proportioning valves. brake lines, master and pads I will buy new.

Unfortunately an E300/350 from that time frame would likely be even more difficult to locate than a truck.
I don't know enough about the Econolines to hazard a guess as to whether everything would bolt right up or not. I imagine the steering linkages would be somewhat different at the very least.

Be sure to saw beams and spindles, just to save yourself a headache.
here's a quick write up on some of the compatibility/differences.

fordification.com/tech/Ibeamsspindles.htm

Ya theres some custom work to be done.
John at autofab has done it all though.

And unfortunately finding a van is probably difficult nowadays.

I went to pic a part like 15 years ago, there was literally 150 fox body mustangs.
Went to same pic a part a couple years ago, there was like 6 fox body's.

Stupid autocorrect
>* use same beams and spindles
Versus just swapping spindles onto your beams because you found a pair already pulled/was cheaper.

Let my gf try driving it. Was pretty easy for her, as she just left it in first and didn't touch the gas brake or clutch

I hate to sound like a shill for autofab, I swear I'm not getting kickbacks.
He also has steering linkage bent for custom apps and lifts so you don't need a new pitman arm to line things up- he can do one for a particular app for the same price as getting one from vatozone.
His also are threaded on both ends- instead of just one removable tie rod like on a lot of those older fords.

can I do that? I would rather not pull the beams off.

She wasn't very good at stopping cause her leg is almost too short to completely press the clutch, and the truck doesn't want to stop cause dat torque

I like my post numbers

That link has some good specs on kind pin size and cast numbers for given years- so you can find spindles in the junkyard that are compatible without unbolting anything.

King pins are A BITCH to get out.
I had to use a 50 ton press to do mine.
You might get lucky....