2nd gen. Outback with 3.0 H6

2nd gen. Outback with 3.0 H6.

What should i know before going for a test drive? I'm looking for a 4wd car with good ground clearance.

Isn't the 3.0 horrible with head gaskets?

No

nice picture! can you tell me a bit about the car? what should i look for, any weak points etc?

You're thinking of the 1995-2004 2.5L models.

They're pretty solid, only things I'd look for are rust, and maybe cosmetic shit like the auto dimming mirror. Check the fluids, if it has maintenance records even better.

Pic related, guy in the Jeep was emasculated when he found me at the end of the trail he just came in on.

thanks

Tfw 03 Outback sedan with no 3.0

The H6 is a bitch to work on, just keep that in mind. Overall though there is a reason you still see them on the road, they are robust engines and the drive train is solid. Really what you want to avoid is rust on the quarter panels, shit is terminal, gaskets aren't.

They're GTG as long as they've been taken care of. My neighbors own one and they've only had to replace the alternator once, under warranty. Good luck with it.

These cars are too high up, and too long so they handle like shit.

They also feel like a early 90s car in NVH and road manners.

>a bitch to work on
I've got the model after OP's with the EZ30 engine. I think aside from spark plugs, everything is pretty easy to get to. Easier than my wife's Mazda 3 anyway...

>my wife's Mazda

for a tiny second I felt meme'd on

Shut up and buy a civic. It's all you really need. Awd is unnecessary and a civic is fine for a dirt road.

How does it compare to a forester XT?

XT's faster, has more ground clearance and more cargo space, but it's less well equipped and is more expensive

Also the newer XTs don't come in manual, only with the CVT.

Which is a huge bummer

Or anything dealing with the head, especially doing valve adjustments.
Oil changes and whatever are easy

is this "shut up and buy a civic" the same person every day?

yeah, no more 5.2s 0-60 for you

>They're pretty solid

for 90,000 miles... then you need a new wngine

what the fuck are you talking about?

I got a 2002 subaru legacy with 2.5 4 cylinder last Thursday, I fucking love it

The only thing I'm having a problem with is the wiring.
> got a new stereo from Walmart
> brother is helping me
> told me to go get wire connectors, idk why
> I come back, he cut the factory radio connector from the wires
> lol idk where these wires go
> lol there's no universal stereo connector for your new radio, stupid
> Co worker comes over to assess the mess
> we got the radio to turn on, and front speakers
> just need to get back speakers to work

Fucking hate my brother

Your brother is an idiot.

I'll trade you

ughhh

I have a 04' 2.5 with the 5spd. I got it at 121k and now im rounding out 180k with plenty more on the clock.

Make sure the head gaskets are good, though depending on the miles you want to do them now rather than later. If you do them be sur eto get the timing belts and water pump because they are easy to get to when the engine is out.

I've had mostly problem free driving since then (which was 60k ago). Cat had to be replaced and I did the brakes and roters, as well as tires which is to be expected.

It handles like a beast in the snow, and is fast enough on the highway. Its height does make it ungainly, but its not a race car. The only "problem" is that gets combined 25mpg. Thats the price for AWD. Get your subaru, take care of it and it'll take care of you.

Rust around wheel wells, rust under the rear, cv boot cover, tie rods, struts

>changing spark plugs on a Subaru
kill me