/domg/ - Dominions General

Previous Thread Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Jump into MP feet first
>Do bully Elves

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1727
z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=982
dropbox.com/s/0t79dfw2bbqr2pf/Elmokki-Dom3-Collection.zip?dl=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>tfw sixth try at an expansion test and still kinda shit
I fucking know I can do better without gimping my mage recruitment somehow.

The trick is to start next to weak indies

Arco, I will trade you E for W. How many W gems do you have to sell?

Take an awake pretender or a good bless. Or both. It doesn't matter how good your research is if you're dead.

Are slings good for anything at all? They're as inaccurate as javelins but the damage is shite.

They're not expensive.

At the moment I have around 60.

Ok. I'll send you 20 E for 20 W then

Oh, also - you're cool with the borders I'd sent you, right? I'm planning on grabbing 132 Soon (tm). I figured I should double check since you have a bunch of dudes next to it, but I figured that might just be because that was where you had mages to do the summoning.

Yeah sure, I don't care much about anything West the bridge from our border, so take whatever you want from there.

1000 monkeys with slings, Wind Guide and Flaming arrows.

So I've mapped out the basic mod and I honestly think I need to rename the mod because the titular little shit won't be in it.

I'm going to make a nation based off the old homeworld. I'm thinking a domkill nation that has resource only units, spawning resource sites like summod Ermor/Lemuria spawn gem sites, along with freespawn mindless/undisciplined units (representing gem shards)

Do we really need another MLP mod?

Yes.

The more retards get the game, the sooner we get a sequel.

>How bout for a nation that has sacreds with very long weapons? That extra attack skill will make them repel damn near everything.
Repel falls off in effectiveness against elite troops because it has checks against morale and protection, and elite units tend to have high values in both.

Higher attack skill will not help much with either of those issues.

Slingers are usually a lot cheaper than archers, and with Flaming Arrows slings hit nearly as hard as bows.

Without Flaming Arrows they're bad, but nations who get slings have no other archery options.

What about indies?

they make bad vidya

Dominions is an indie game.

you're a slut

The issue with repelling indies will be getting surrounded, and I don't think F9 is sufficient to help in that case.

If you've got enough troops to avoid getting surrounded, you don't need a bless to beat indies.

I was talking of using indies archers.

>someone picked WH Lizards

Oh boy here we go

What's so OP about them?

Slaan.

Note the innate spellcaster 2 (so 3 spells per turn), autocast of communion master, etc.

Oh and not pictured: they can change shape to a statue-like thing, like hibernation, which cures all their afflictions over a turn or two.

This is just what they can recruit out of the cap, their summons are even more insane. If the admin was worried about Dalkrin, this is way worse.

Ah.

Well, that's definitely an option, but if you have bad luck your indie archers can be resource-intensive (chain or light plate) or undisciplined (all the tribals).

Are they the guys with the Slann cap-only mages? Or am I thinking of something different?

Are those temple guard that they dom summon sacred?

Yes, but they only summon them on the turn they're recruited.

Yes.

Yes.

Cost of the pictured ones is respectively 60 and 80 pearls. Arguably Dalkrin is even more OP, but only thanks to the disease grinder cap mage for 50g for a nation that specializes in spreading disease, giving them retarded amounts of Dgems via that.

>disease grinder cap mage for 50g

That was removed, they're only healers now. Dalkrin is still strong but not "100dgems per turn"-strong.

Is the Pokemon modnation playable?

Does it work with the current version? If yes go for it.

Those are worse than Telhines tho. Cant even cast big spells without a communion plus a pathetic MM.

I'll check it out when I get back home.
If it works I'm going full Pokeyman.

Because they're good at so many things.

They have great troops and summons, they have almost every type of magic, they have good foreignrec mages, and they have cheap blood magic.

None of those are individually worrying, but they're better than 90% of vanilla nations at most things you can name.

Well WH skaven has silly amount of disease grinders too, although they need to hire chaff for diseases first.

Can I join a mod nation game as a vanilla nation?
Let's say... tribless MA Ermor.

Will Ground Army and Thunder Fend stack?

no

I noticed this, makes Dalkrin a whole lot less OP and more in line with the rest of the rest, at least as far as modnations are concerned.

WH Skaven, at least last time I played them in a modnat game, were almost Pankoman-mode. Grey Seers who had something like E3S3D3 with FWAESDNB 100/100/75/50/25/10 path chances and not StR for 350g or so. Also stupidly good fortrec assassins.

The thing with Dalkrin was you could start churning out dgems from grinders as soon as you could get your hand on indies (which is very very soon), at no cost except for the 50g mage which is already a D2 (and since disease grinder is passive, they'd generate insane amounts of gems while researching or doing whatever). Didn't even need banevenom charms because half their units spread diseases. With that gone, it makes a lot more sense. Very good research but caponly without any researchers that can be recruited anywhere else, meaning they get very good initial research but by midgame most nations will be churning out way more than 20RP per turn.

Don't see why not.

Which one is better and does Ground Army effect flying troops in any way?

> Grey Seers who had something like E3S3D3 with FWAESDNB 100/100/75/50/25/10 path chances and not StR for 350g or so

Don't forget they were innate spellcaster 1 too.

They're the same buff cast by different spells, +5 shock res. They should affect every unit regardless of whether they're flying or not.

Any new games starting?

So long as none of the modnations makes use of the Ermor freespawn block.

Last I checked, there were only four slots for different "freespawn troops in dominion" effects, so if one of the modnations uses Ermor's, you may end up with modnation freespawn instead of vanilla.

Dalkrin is actually shit, I don't know why everyone says they are OP.

20RP for 50g is in M3. Magic3 means even less MR for your troops which puts them all at or below 10, meaning any sort of priest will fucking destroy them. Don't want priests to wreck your anus? Pick Drain3. Now you get 14RP mages that are caponly with no other recruitable researchers, meaning you have absolutely shit research throughout the game.

The thing they do have is great indy murdering potential thanks to 20 prot20 units for 11D from the start.

Yeah admin better check this, for example Dalkrin. I'm not sure what block it uses, but might be the same.

>Dalkrin is actually shit, I don't know why everyone says they are OP.
Did you miss everyone talking about how they used to have disease grinder on their mages?

It's been fixed, but they used to be very OP simply because you could get massive amounts of death gems per turn.

I'll try an get a working version of my mod done in time for the game, power-level could be a little wonky but I'll release it publicly for scrutiny

Going to play in an MA game soon and I'm debating between Vanheim and R'lyeh. Any recommendations from the community which I should pick and why?

Go with Vanheim because UW nations are suffering.

Thanks!

Checked this, Ermor does indeed end up using Dalkrin units, so the Ermor freespawn ends up being plague stuff from Dalkrin. Not sure if that is fixable at all.

If Ermor doesn't mind, it won't be a problem. All his non-freespawn stuff should be the same.

You should get plenty of time, doubt we'll start before Sunday.

>SU
Hope you got a strong earlygame, you'll probably be at the top of the removal list for a lot of people.

I'll think about it, but will probably join as another nation.

Thanks for checking it.

How strong are clowns in the modnat metagame?

Probably not bad, but their schtick is being a meme.

They don't strike me as particularly strong. Their unit roster is very weird (most units are unarmoured and seriously lack offensive capabilities: think of Unicyclist, priced like cavalry but without armour and only one attack) and they're very gold-hungry while clowns have chaos power. In addition, their non-cap mages are quite impotent for their cost (first and thirteenth clowns are like overpriced Arco Mystics). Their big mages are powerful and their national summons are good but it seems like a difficult nation to utilize due to their numerous handicaps.

Can I join as Szumogliika (WOAH.DM)?

If you like being free food for the real nations, sure.

I'd be okay with that.

"real nations", in this case, meaning the usual ridiculously overpowered modnation bullshit?

It's mod nation game.

yes

Sure, as I said in the thread all nations are allowed and will be banned only if the majority thinks it should be otherwise.

B-but I requested to play Szug yesterday, and the Admin didn't seem to notice my request to change.

It's not that bad so far apart from Lizardmen and even then those are one of the lesser cases.

I'm not on Steam right now, can I just give you a name?
In that case, I'm 404 PANKOMAN NOT FOUND.

Do you want them? I could probably take someone else.

If you want them, that's fine. I'll just scrounge through the mod catalog for something else that catches my fancy. I'd probably do quite poorly anyways.

Yeah sorry didn't see the post edit, EG asked first so he gets priority, but if he concedes it then sure no problem.

For people looking for cool mods, let me recommend Executors mods as particularly interesting.

Well, I do kind of want to give Executor's Edjudnir a try: z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1727

I'll probably fail hard, but it does look like I'll enjoy myself doing so.

Also look at any Omnomicon nation. Haven't tried them so I can't speak for how strong they are, but the spritework is top tier and they all have very interesting themes. I'm actually surprised nobody has already picked them

Alright, I'll sign you up as that. Also I dunno about others but I just picked based on theme I wanted to play (was Dalkrin or Cyrastia, but I'm already playing bloodnations in 3 other PBEMs so went with the former), rather than how competitive they are.

>omniomicon
Thanks for reminding me.

I've wanted to try penguins for a bit, so I'll grab them.

You want me to post in the thread, or is just calling it here ok?

Actually, I'll just post in the thread. Everyone else seems to be doing it.

I'll sign you up as anonymous, not a problem.

The problem is szug is weaker than most real nations. Even your standard OP mod nation will dumpster them.

I'm (apparently) playing the Glitchlads, and I don't have any real problems with them being weak. I'm not in a modnat game to win, even if I will try my best.
I'm here for fun with weird nations.

Playing SP with them right now, and their limitations are becoming apparent pretty quickly.

You have to rely on a dormant pretender or Amekeshadon, or a 5% random to start casting individual transfiguration. Once you get some glitched mages, you can start casting the higher-level provincial transfigurations.

Invert the future is also great for Income.

Hey admin, I can't get into Desura to DL the map file, think you can upload it somewhere else?

z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=982

I need Land of Ethereal Squirrels, not that one.

dropbox.com/s/0t79dfw2bbqr2pf/Elmokki-Dom3-Collection.zip?dl=0

Thanks.

Are the WW2 nations OP or not

Not.

Theyre also not very good or interesting to play.

That abstract kind of feel when you think Agartha ate all of Ulm's troops so you don't feel like checking what in the fort and just send a bunch of shitty skeletons over to cap it

>200 will be enough to deal with a couple troops they said
>there won't be mages in his last fort they said
>tfw lose battle to AI

>that fucking wipe
I request webm of the battle.

Bad mages?

It's just skeletons(which are essentially worthless and just sit around) walking into a gate that I thought had something like 2-3 commanders max because Agartha ate AI Ulm but ended up having a bunch of stuff flinging spells out of nowhere

There's really nothing to see, chaff skeletons funneling into a gate and dying

But I have a boner for armies of skeletons.

I know, that pun was awful.

>NEETONLY started
>between last night and now, the map was switched
I mean, it's good because it would have been a fucking knife fight, but now I have to redo a bunch of testing before my first turn.

I have both slings and javelin, and the javelins seem vastly better despite lower ammo, range, and equally low precision.

Tried them in single player right now, got Amekeshadon on turn 2. The future is bright.

The map was switched because we had more players.

REEEEEEEE WHERE IS THE MAP LINK

Feel dumb.

You just spoonfed me faggot, you should be the one feeling dumb.

I bet you're a wageslave.

Is Acashic Knowledge worth the pearls? 20 is incredibly steep, I could only assume it would be worth it on throne provinces if you have a lot of spare pearls with nothing to use it on.