Is this a good car for a college student living out on his own?

Is this a good car for a college student living out on his own?

I have a girlfriend but no kids or friends since we just moved to a new state. Ive done an exhaustive amount of research into these cars, including their older counterparts and competitors, and they're everything I want and need.

tl;dr Is there a good reason to NOT buy one of these?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LoChoFgS-b4
youtube.com/watch?v=cCyGSpJCOKI
youtube.com/watch?v=cRoJ3VIHm5U
boot-bag.com/
mr2.com/forums/threads/38451-mr2-s-fires-ground-potential-what-you-NEED-to-be-doing-to-your-car-right-now
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

insurance and gas will be higher than some generic 4cyl sedan, probably not a huge issue.

Cargo space.

Which I wouldn't be worried about at all if you were single, but you have a gf. Two thirds of the cargo space is the passenger seat.

>tl;dr Is there a good reason to NOT buy one of these?
storage space.

For that very same reason though, I will suggest finding a Pontiac Fiero. Much more storage space. plus its cheaper, easier to find, has more aftermarket, easier to work on, and arguably just as safe and reliable.

There are some compartments behind the seats which can hold, at most, a long (but thin) duffle bag.

You can get a rack on top of engine cover if you need a bit of extra luggage.

She doesnt like to ride passenger in manual cars due to really bad motion sickness, which saddens me, because we cant have fun in a car together, but oh well

She doesnt give a shit what i buy. Her only request is that its not a half-completed project car or a money pit, which i think is reasonable right now
>easier to work on, and arguably just as safe and reliable.
Not trying to sound dicking but could you provide citation for that?
We're talking about a corolla engine here
The passenger seat and cubby can fit everything i'd need to put in the car. Our other car is a wagon so thats our hauling bitch.

Fiero's were shit until the 1987-1988 model years. Unless you want the engine space to swap in a decent V6, the AW11 is all around a better car.

Yes it's fine. If you need to move or haul anything big you can borrow or rent a truck.

>gf has a car

I guess I missed the bit where you were living alone.

Yeah, it's fine. Would even be good for winter with a hardtop and Blizzaks.

While I usually feel autos have no place on such a vehicle, the "auto" in the MR-S is not much more than an automated manual. Not a typical slushbox.

The 1ZZ-FE in the MRz/Corolla was known for oil burning issues. The 2.5L Iron Duke in the Fiero was bulletproof since it was 1 cylinder bank of a Pontiac V8.
As for safety and ease of working on it, you only need look at the Fiero chassis. The steel spaceframe was way overbuilt making it the safest non-airbag car you can buy. And working on it is easier. Due to the steel spaceframe, the Fiero's body panels are all plastic and removable which gets them out of the way. Everything is easily accessible

With the Fiero's aftermarket, year doesn't matter. ANY problem you have with it has an aftermarket solution. There's even better/more modern looking dashboards and door panels available.
The AW11 was louder, more cramped, less comfortable, and MUCH less forgiving to drive. Being forgiving is a trait you WANT in a 'baby's first MR car". So no. The AW11 is not an ALL-AROUND better car. It's more hardcore for sure, but unless you find a supercharged model, the Fiero is faster. and multiple comparisons had the Fiero coming out on top simply because it was easier to live with day in and day out.

>MRz/Corolla
MR2/Corolla

>I guess I missed the bit where you were living alone.
I said i was living out on my own, meaning not at home. Within the next 5 words I mentioned I had a girlfriend.
Well I mentioned that because of which mentioned gf+cargo space.

I mention her dislike of manual cars because it means ill basically never have a passenger
Not gonna lie I love being spoonfed critical information, so thanks. Ill definitely do some more research into fieros.
My only concern us finding one thats been garage kept. Ive owned older cars, both garage kept and not. Id rather not deal with a car that old if its been sitting through New England seasonal weather its entire life

wew
does the aw11 has more storage space?

Yes. The AW11's storage space is similar to the Fiero's.

aw11 has two 'trunks' sort of, the back one is about the size of a new camaros trunk, and the front is about the size of the MRS trunk posted
aw11 is much better for storage space and being a daily driver, minus the fact its 20 years older than the mrs

I'll concede on some points and I'm too lazy to argue to the rest when I'm typing on my phone. But

>louder

Believe an owner, the 4A-GE is not an engine noise you get tired of.

You're a spoiled fucking brat. Take your MONEY out of here shitstain

>Wants to buy a sub-$10k 15 year old car
>Somehow he's spoiled

>4000 dollar car
>MONEY
kill yourself retard?

>poor mans Lotus
>spoiled

How fucking poor can you be? Do you drive a rusted out base model Civic shitbox?

>Believe an owner, the 4A-GE is not an engine noise you get tired of.
To be fair, the Fiero's V6 makes a glorious sound as well. The 2.8L V6 has a 60* V block and a somewhat awkward firing order (1-2-3-4-5-6).
youtube.com/watch?v=LoChoFgS-b4

Yes, I want one myself so badly but try to get the 2003+ models, the earlier ones had emissions equipment like pre cats that would break off and get sucked back into the engine.

Whoa, I knew it still had a rear trunk but thats massive for a sports car so small. Don't make them like they use to I guess

in my experience its useless for groceries because it gets somewhat hot in there but its great for a small suitcase or two

I'm curious. Does or has anyone here daily driven an mr2 of any gen, or a fiero?
Tell me your midship experience

Jesus christ. Fuck no.

there's always the LQ1, a 200-215 HP 3.4L DOHC V6. Drops right into the Fiero and uses the same mounts as the 2.8L.
youtube.com/watch?v=cCyGSpJCOKI
youtube.com/watch?v=cRoJ3VIHm5U

I daily drove a Boxster for a while, but that car is made to be more practical and comfortable than an MR2 or Fiero

Still pretty sweet how the car corners flat

Stop trying to shill your piece of shit car, dude.

I wish I had mommy and daddy money to buy a third gen mr2 in college

Get a job you lazy fuck, any motivated college student with a sense of time management can afford a $4000 car

>Poor neet so buttmad that he can't afford a 5k car.

Either lazy or stupid, probably both.

Some people have to pay for other things assholes.
I had to get a cheap fiero 4 cyl. And you know what? I beat spoiled brats in zzw30s down at the races.

Skill > car.

>can't come up with an argument against it
>hurr stop shilling your bad car
>it's a bad car because I say so.

>$4,000
>during college

Holy fuck the jobs I ran during college were just enough to cover the rent and services - I wasn't making enough until I got a proper job after college for the likes of that.

Oh god, you're that pathetic poorfag in this thread shilling his piece of shit fiero.

>I beat spoiled brats in zzw30s down at the races.

>Implying some poorfag autist in his shitbox was even relevant enough to notice, much less race.

I was renting an apartment in downtown Ottawa and paying tuition and bought a Boxster in my second year during undergrad

An MR2 is not an expensive car in the slightest to own and run

No I'm not that's a different guy who shills fieros.
Spoiled brat legitamately has no idea how the other half lives

It's not your fault

>American/unreliable piece of shit
>Looks like shit
>No racing heritage
>No aftermarket

Really, you're comparing this to an MRS?

I'll wait for you to come up with more things to fight that crippling buyer's remorse you're struggling with.
>
>

>Made money myself
>"Must be spoiled!"

>lived in downtown Ottawa
Uh huh..

>suspension from the chevette
don't get anybody started on the fiero

I love how hypocritical Veeky Forums is about loving underdog cara

>tfw left the thread to walk my dog and this is what i come back to

I daily a 1986 AW11 with manual everything. Winter hasn't begun, but it's been perfectly fine for summer. Manual locks, lack of cupholders, and a small gas tank are minor inconveniences. One thing I'm definitely going to have to deal with is getting my tires shipped around, since I can't carry them.

I can't put about 3 duffle bags, 2 suitcases, and 4 backpacks in it. That's with the spare tire but no passenger.

>Canada
As long as it's not Toronto it's pretty cheap, especially with a roommate

Subsidized education is pretty nice too

What fucking job did you manage to snag that you could afford a fucking Boxster? (assuming you weren't leasing)

Just because you bought this piece of shit, it does not mean it's an "Underdog" car

It's not hard to find an earlier Boxster for under $10k

>I have never researched any of this shit, the post
The Fiero competed, quite successfully in IMSA racing, and has aftermarket support to make a Honda Civic blush

I was barely making $1k per month part time during college, so again;
I went to college with 0 funds, had to make my own.

How reliable is a fiero to someone who is dumb and poor who can't wrench himself

Both engine options
There's a 1986 one for $1600 locally. 110k miles

I set up servers for small businesses and managed them, including an overhaul at one place where I replaced 20 Pentium 4 machines with thin clients and connected them to virtual machines on a VM ware cluster
That shit had me driving between Ottawa and Toronto ever week

>server job for businesses in college

Jesus Canada sounds nice.

I found a shitty waiting job which I was happy enough to get.

Wow I wish I was spoiled enough to get a set up like that

if you can live with 2 seat corolla roadster then buy it senpai

Maybe if you got off your fatass and did some leg work, you could actually get a gig like this.

Uh huh. Sure buddy

Why not actually leave your mom's basement and make connections?

Not him - but I made a lot of connections during college but they didn't come to much until after college when I had acquired experience with quals.

Better than being a whiny poorfag on Veeky Forums

>Better than being a whiny poorfag on Veeky Forums shilling fieros and being buttmad.

Fixed.

They're fairly reliable. The Iron Duke 4 cylinder was known for being unkillable, though slow.
The V6 was a lot faster. While people will argue day and night over the V6 model's reliability, I will point out this: That V6 and variants based on it, was used, reliably, in GM cars from 1979 until 2011. The last car to use them was the 2011 Chevrolet Impala which had a 3.5L and a 3.9L variants.

I was a poorfag during college - just surprising as I wish I had that much back then.

Now? No I have a Focus ST myself unless that is still 'poorfag'.

I would go for it, but make sure it's been properly maintained.

Went on a quick dive on the fiero forums, they pretty much mirror this post

Nah you aren't poor unless you're struggling to make payments

I moved alot in college. thats the only reason i wouldnt

Does the Mister 2 Spyder have any of those factory baggage available? I find those are nice when you have a car this lacking for space.

I'd never expect anyone to read the entire thread but

boot-bag.com/

>putting a bag on top of the vents that feed air to the engine
Kill yourself you fucking moron.

put it on the front then

Haha what
Are you high

I've been thinking about this car recently too, but I'm a britbong who will no doubt get FUCKED on insurance

user do you know what those side intakes do?

nigga you stupid

I daily my sw20 turbo and it's really not bad. Super comfy cabin and the trunk is plenty spacious for groceries and stuff, though it does get a little warm.

>2.8L V6
>makes less power than a 4AGE

also engine fires and pissing oil all over the place, and don't get me started on the gutless pos iron duke

Fuck off, poorfags.

There's this thing called financing, you pay in installments with interest. It's how the entire rest of the world pays for cars they didn't get off criaglist

>a 2.8L makes less than 115hp

I know this is smog-era GM, but I still don't believe you

>fieros
>good
>why can't I stop buying them!?
Lol I fucking love this meme.

Ignore him. It's probably a mentally ill tranny from /mtfg/.

Engine fire is meme tier. As mentioned in other posts there are aftermarket parts to correct that in '84's (the ONLY year to have that issue).

Get the fuck outta here.

I'll happily second taking a strong look at the Fiero. Just try to get a '88, especially the Formula or GT trim. Be the best setup for having fun without investing in mods.

The 2.8L in the Fiero made 140 HP. WTF are you on?

And the engine fires were only on early build 1984 4 cylinder cars.
MR2s are ALSO known for engine fires.

Armchair psychoanalysis guys are you ready

When you post about how hard your parents worked and show other people the fruits of their labor, including your success, it makes those with lazy, embarrassing parents angry. They view a reminder of their lower position in life as a personal attack on them, which is laughable because it wasn't their fault they were poor anyways, it was simply their parents' laziness.

Financing is for cucks

But I'm poor due to bad luck, my parents weren't lazy at all. They just died

> stock wheels
user pls

insurance is a big issue for anyone under 25 and having a 2 door coupe is not gonna help
it's also a money drain, that engine ain't making unicorns without a turbo
cargo space is especially concerning if you have any other hobbies other than cars
I can not for the life of me stick a surf board anywhere in a coupe with my GF on the passenger seat
there is also downsides of a convertible that you just have to deal with

all the problems above can easily be looked over or just fixed with a lot of money
and if you can afford all that, it's probably not a bad idea to have 2 cars as well

Before the exhaust ruptured and caused everything to go to shit I dailyd a 3rd Gen and I have to say that I really don't enjoy it all that much, like I love the car and the whole line it's a part of but the first and second gens are just so much better
Mayhew it's because mine has a Pontiac engine in it but I'm going to put a v6 in it when I find one in decent shape

> MR2s are ALSO known for engine fires.

i've never heard of this

don't you have bulls to be prepping right now

mr2.com/forums/threads/38451-mr2-s-fires-ground-potential-what-you-NEED-to-be-doing-to-your-car-right-now

That's because unlike Pontiac ,Toyota doesn't address this shit

>Mayhew it's because mine has a Pontiac engine
wut.