In an age of OLED, 2017 model cars still have physical needles in the dash...

In an age of OLED, 2017 model cars still have physical needles in the dash, and the one's that do have a screen have simulated needles.

And they wonder why millenials aren't buying cars.

What in the hell is your stupid ass even talking about

have some taste user.

Fuck OLED.

It all peaked way back when.

physical gauges are easier to see in more scenarios, plus screen burn in is an issue.

>OLED
OLED burns in like nobody's business and sucks shit in any environment that isn't a dim room, so it'd be useless for gauges.

t. guy who actually bought a zune hd

same, looked amazing until you went outside. makes me wish they made a Windows Phone styled like the Zune HD

Plus those screens look fake and gay.

Notice how every vehicle that has complex electronics is constantly breaking and ridiculously high maintenance. Not only that, but it's virtually impossible for the buyer to fix the issues themselves. Only the manufacturers and dealerships are given access to the tools needed to diagnose/repair/fix these kinds of components.

make them cheap and hard to work on without special tools, easy dealership money.

>tfw 22
>tfw still drive shit box truck dad gave me in hs
>tfw he still pays insurance and tags

Feelscomfyman

Born in 1996, fuck off. I do nothing but evaluate OLED displays and only recently have 5-7 inch OLED displays reached acceptable quality. Even then they only last 5 years of use and show visible shifts or burn-in by the third year.

Give me normal gauges lit with LEDs any day of the week, there is zero need for anything fancy here.

Physical needles and gauges are aesthetic.

It's really hard to fuck up a needle. One moving part and it doesn't even need to move that fast or accurately. Just has to be within probably 5%. High tolerance, low cost, and it's easier to read from peripheral vision because angular information references better than something like a number or a bar meter.

OLED screens fuck up when the car gets hot, burn in, have a lifespan (no matter what you do, they have a lifespan), are more expensive, and are a point of complexity. Complexity attracts failure. It's inelegant by default.

Even a lot of new motorcycles have an analog tach, because it's just what people like.

What? Completely digital gauges on a car look horrendous.

>implying gauges are any more reliable than screens
You are now aware that those gauges are just tiny motors that turn depending on the ECU reading.

Replace them with a LED that shows numbers and you'd get basically the same result.

You can even have weird set ups cos why not?

Isn't it just a servo made out of a galvanometer? One moving part and one feedback mechanism, even for the electronic ones. If you can't see the engineering advantage of that over a display and a driver, I can't help you.

Yes these things are probably more reliable than screens.

But so where a million things in your car. Most of the shit in your car now was some experimental unreliable POS at some point. From caliper brakes to the massive electrical jungle.

While i miss being able to tune my own carburetor instead of having to modify ECU and shit, modern cars are better than old cars.

Individual analog components >>>>>> one screen

segmented displays for numeric data + a screen for other info= best combination for digi dash

Holy shit you're a faggot

I bet you fully support gay rights and praise tesla like a fucking spineless nu-male faggot you are.

Why not this? Is it really all that bad?

not as variable, but it's good if you want no fluff

Are you trying to have a retard contest with OP

I think instead of ruining cars to make them appeal to millennials, they need to romanticize cars and driving for pleasure in pop culture.

No OP.
See this shit? this shit needs to stop.

>no tach

"Taste" is the idealization that things were better before than they are now. It's why people think analog watches are more "tasteful" than digital ones.

obsolete

>easier to see

The entirety of the image displayed that isn't solid black is lit on an OLED screen. How is something with LED backlighting easier to see?

>plus screen burn in is an issue

There are other technologies, like plain LED, which has been around for way too long for it to not be embarrasing that car makers are just barely using them for part of the display.

See above.

>complex electronics

The ironic thing is that electronically controlled physical needles are way more complex than a simple screen.

It's silly, unnessesary complexity, perpetuated by designers who are too stubborn to make anything new.

They're called "Skeuomorphs."

>there is zero need for anything fancy here

How is a screen more fancy than complex digitaly controlled needles which are still made purely for their appearance?

The human eye is good at recognizing angle quickly, a glance at the dash and you can know how things are. Having to read numbers for oil and water temp, fuel and oil pressure takes much more time and is more difficult to figure out how things are trending.

>A servo is more reliable than an LCD panel

Yes user that's true

But reliability is a moot point. Reliability kills sales, kills profits. Why do you think consumer tech is big on putting everything on one board, or one chip if possible, and soldering, gluing, screwing, taping, and triple-epoxying the battery with a finite lifespan?

Fuck you nigger, you've never flown a plane.

I've flown 172's with and without the G1000, and the G1000 is immensely superior.

"taste" is aesthetics

arabic numerals aren't aesthetic. circles and triangles are.

if you hand someone a completely electronic, kinetic/solar quartz with a circular E-ink face and no fucking arabic numerals dominating the design, they'd flip.

>Not being good enough for VFR
lol noob.

Though no jokes, G1000 is a great kit. You can do better, but you can do a lot worst.

Aesthetics that this person doesn't prefer.

>it's easier to read from peripheral vision because angular information references better than something like a number or a bar meter.

Why not have simulated needles as a display mode for the people who want it? It would let the people who prefer their old ways to stay there, and people who want digital readouts could have what they want too.

>You can even have weird set ups cos why not?

I agree. The potential of customization is one huge reason why I support screen readouts.

>I bet you fully support gay rights

I do. Deal with it.

I can only speak for myself, but ever since I switched to a digital speed display, it's MUCH easier to see the speed I'm going. Instead of seeing that I'm going 62-ish to 64-ish from a quick glance, I can see that I'm going exactly 63 MPH. Nothing could be simpler to interpret than a big number right in front of me. I will never go back to analog readouts.

>OLED
Enjoy your screen burn.
>2017 model cars
Falling for calling the 2016 model the 2017 model, if it's launched in 2016 it's the 2016 model no mater what the marketing dorks say.

What exactly is wrong with physical gauges? It's good UX design - they are always on the same spot, they are also 3d. I hate led screens as a replacement - yeah it's easy and cheap to do but you gain nothing. Unless you like Audi virtual cockpit which I don't because I like physical gauges because of beforementioned reasons.

Besides let's not kid ourself - the crispness of displays is never as high as that of a physical thing, even for high DPI displays.

>implying I even got to try IFR before medical reasons stopped me from being a pilot

H-haha

The problem with having a digital readout is it infers a level of accuracy you (deliberately) don't get from a speedo.

>Falling for calling the 2016 model the 2017 model, if it's launched in 2016 it's the 2016 model no mater what the marketing dorks say

"2017" refers to the model of a car, not the year it is produced. It's easier to interpret than Honda Civic 1, Honda Civic 2, etc..

How is that a problem unless someone has OCD?

Is that the Maroon Bells?

Clearly not an engineer.

Annnd stupid post of the day has been won. Please go to /b/ to collect your prise.

chasing the needles around is fun but a nice electronic dash is the shit
I like being able to just see my speed

You're not going exactly 63 mph though. Unless your speedo is referenced with GPS. No speedo in any car is reliable within probably 3%.

>display mode
Fair.

How is this argument being applied from both directions?

>digital tachometer
triggered

>It's silly, unnessesary complexity, perpetuated by designers who are too stubborn to make anything new.
>They're called "Skeuomorphs."
That's enough wewing, lad. You don't know what a skeuomorph is, so shut the fuck up.

>Falling for calling the 2016 model the 2017 model, if it's launched in 2016 it's the 2016 model no mater what the marketing dorks say.
>I'm one of simple mind

It's not because the car was made in 2017 or whatever, it's about model year, what year the car is meant to really be bought basically. Because 2017 cars coming out in august, aren't going to be sold until buying season next may.

My 1999 crv was sold in june of 1998. But the 1998 crv is different cos it has a different engine.

Oh i'm sorry.
>tfw taking Aeronautics course at Seneca

look here:

But it's future!

-sent from my thin laptop with zero ports and a 5kb hard drive that boots cloudOS

Thank god. I can't stand those retarded gauges designs manufacters put in the "screen" dashes.

I know this is obvious bait but why are all modern dashboards created with bright-as-fuck fucking LEDs nowadays? Do all dashboard designers wear sunglasses 24/7 and also have damaged optic nerves?

In the middle of the fucking night I shouldn't have to burn my eyeballs continuously with bright white and blue light from LEDs. I could literally comfortably read all of Moby Dick in one sitting using the dash LEDs as the only light source.

This is especially a problem on modern Hondas. Top offender.

Fuck this shit.

>Not wanting to see the temperatures and pressures of every individual part on your car.

Kek.

I can see why this would be an issue in an unfamiliar car, but after a couple of weeks in my current car I already know the angles. I prefer that greatly over a screen.

That's right. Millenials can't tell analog time because it confuses their ADD pea brains so when they get into a car with proper gauges the mind turns to mush. Please stay off the roads, real people are busy getting shit done.

what's faster
>7:52
or
>little hand below the 8 do 7s, big hand on the 52 spot so 7:52

bitch please, i own a P210N. glass is a god damn clusterfuck. i'm cool with a few digital displays, like my GTN650 but i don't want a digital PFD.

Another reason why a screen is better, you can customize all the 'gauges'

>tfw cars no longer have oil pressure
>tfw cars no longer have fuel pressure
>tfw cars no longer have amp meter
>tfw cars no longer have voltmeter
>tfw some modern cars don't even have tachs.

I want to know everything when i'm in my car, not because i NEED it, but because i want it.

That's autistic as fuck.

It hardly takes any skill to read analog.

While we're at it, we should redesign time. Time is too complex for most people's needs, let's be real. We have 60 * 12 * 2 = 1440 different possible short-hand combinations and that's BEFORE we factor in seconds. That's a whole lot of entropy for the few tasks each millennial performs on a daily basis.

Instead, we should discretize time in a whole new fashion best suited for the user. All time on a millennial's watch should be represented by a single digit from 0 through 9, 0 being the time the millennial wakes up, and 9 being the moment just before s/he/it goes to sleep.

Each millennial will have customizable settings for each digit.

1 can be breakfast time
2 masturbation o'clock
3-6 can be time slots for work/school
That leaves 7 and 8 for two afterhours activities of the millennial's choosing.

An additional digit intended for powerusers can be added for $14.99. Powerusers are more likely to be able to afford the extra cost.

Time has been needlessly complex for centuries and it's finally time for a redesign. Let's put time in the hands of the users.

What's faster
>needle at 60 and slightly increasing
Or
>59... wait... wait... wait... okay, 60, I guess I'm speeding up slightly.

Someone on Veeky Forums can afford this? Damn.

What does it cost to own?

>a zune hd

which came out in 2009. oled panels have gotten better since then.

i don't care for displays in general in cars because they will eventually break and you're going to run into issues where no one is making that specific size oled or lcd panel anymore. it will happen, i guarantee it--these aren't physical parts that can be made by any auto parts company, they're outsourced to lg display/japan display/samsung/whatever other chinese company and you can be sure that they will stop producing them soon enough.

OLED still burn in. That's basically their nature and you can't do shit about it.

burn-in is not an issue for a static image like a tach or speedometer though.

paid 132 for it, as far as operating costs, it's not terrible. roughly 15gal/hr

It is for the needle or a changing number.

no it isn't. i don't think you understand what burn-in is.

even if the image of the needle were somehow in the exact same spot illuminating the exact same pixels for hours (which is impossible), a pixel-orbiter/pixel-shift feature would take care of this anyway.

Wow, you literally said nothing in that whole post.

Yes, yes it is. I used to own a samsung phone recently and running the always on clock without it shifting it's position every minute has given me burn ins.

>Implying it wasn't used correctly

>every few minutes

lol no.

>but you gain nothing

1. More accurate reading
2. Customization

It takes more/less time to describe an action, so it must be slower/faster to do it.

False.

On tech boards, vim users say this kind of shit. And it is the dumbest.

>why move your shoulder, move your elbow, and move your wrist and then press ctrl and then press s leaving the homerow for AGES
>when you can press :w!

>why slowly contort your body to reach the mouse, which takes at least a full minute, to select text from one precise pixel to another like a US army sniper
>when you can type ?text v /othertext?

Yeah try running the night mode clock on your android phone without mods and see for yourself, user.

i have a tablet with an oled panel that i leave in a set position with a static image for hours at a time with no burn-in.

stop making things up user :^)

Exactly. People are seriously defending needles for being easier to read. How they think that is easier to read than a number, I do not know.

>implying you're not retarded
It would be a skeuomorph if it was a digital drawing of a needle, with shading to look 3D, on a graded background.

A physical fucking needle isn't a skeuomorph you dumb fuck. I don't even have an analogy for how stupid this is, except maybe calling real people holograms or some shit.

>assblasted emacs user
No wonder you're on Veeky Forums. Enjoy outmoded technology much? Why don't you create a Model T thread already?

Stop lying, user. How about you run a white image right now on your tablet and post a pic of it here? There should be major burn ins.

That's like saying "how can a picture of an eye be easier to read than the word 'eye'?"

You are still a monkey under all that linguistic ability and process things like pictograms and pointing faster than higher level construct like language. You don't actually see six o'clock, you see big one pointing down o'clock.

Both are outmoded and preserve the input limitations of the VT220 even in their graphical versions

Vim's modal editing is literally outmoded. It was designed for a keyboard without modifier keys.

>Vim's modal editing is literally outmoded. It was designed for a keyboard without modifier keys.
Still better than nano on a terminal, or worse yet, installing X and booting up Gedit.

Anyone who does that needs to be skinned alive.

I don't get you unix fags

You laugh at X because it's as purpose built as a sporty crossover, and then you emulate a convoluted piece of hardware and pretend it's better, i guess because it uses less RAM

But I digress

digital readouts don't belong in anything that requires fast reaction times and split attention

you understand "needle in the red not in the black" easier than "it's the number 206, and it's red"

"is it normally red?"

"oh wait"

>M-muh burn in!
>Not realizing there are technologies now that make this a non-issue

X is fine on your desktop. You don't install X on servers, do you lad? That's like expecting a general purpose OS from your OBD-II port.

Ever stuck with a terminal? Learn vim, one :wq at a time.

Such as?

Also; I agree with your statement about needles for the speedo and tach. Only dumbshits think a fucking integer gives them more info.

>X is fine
Kek
>Ever stuck with a terminal
Yes, and it's terrible and limited. It could be salvaged but you faggots keep emulating legacy hardware. It's literally living in the past, and not in the good way. It's less like driving stick and more like driving three on the tee.

People can not inherently read analogue dials better than digital ones - that's entirely a matter of habit and practice. Of course there are bad digital displays and bad analogue dials, nobody will deny that. I like the *style* of classic watches and such, too, but I'm much *faster* at reading digital ones. Same goes for speedos, but not tachometers, since the important information on those isn't the exact value (e.g. 3451 rpm) but rather where I am within a spectrum that has basically only three relevant points: idle, peak torque, and rev limit.

When I play racing games or flight sims that let me choose between digital or analogue speed indicators, I *always* take digital because contrary to analogue, I can read that on a glance. That's why I'm very confident that Tesla's Model 3 will be just fine w/o any kind of HUD - the Mini is *much* worse in that regard.

Counterpoint: digital screens can be subject to glare and can be very hard to read in direct sunlight.

I really am curious where they will put the speedometer on the model 3. HUD?

Glancing to the right to see your speed seems tedious.

Well, here's the thing though: analogue dials are worse to read *all the time* (AFAIC) and today's display technology has long since reached a point where readability, even under the worst conditions, shouldn't be a problem. I mean, if the manufacturer chose to put a sub-par display in their car, that's one thing - but perfectly sufficient displays do exists and are available for the mass market.

A display requires a anywhere from 3 to 6 or even more TFTs per pixel to control the LED. Capacitors as well. The entire display needs an extremely complex display driver IC which has to implement content adaptive back light algorithms to enable sunlight visibility and have sufficient memory to handle anti burn-in algorithms. To even figure out what to display you then need a MIPI DSI controller for both source and sink, then a computer that can send composited images at least every 16 ms. This means an embedded GPU which means you're probably running Linux at which point you basically have a tablet in your car for your speedometer.

I know this is bait but if you can't understand how this is a nightmare from a validation and design perspective compared to a simple electric gauge and user controlled back light you should never be in charge of engineering anything.

How are they worse to read? You just take a glimpse at the arrow on the speedometer and you know how much you are going (circa). You dont need to "read" at all.

>Yes, and it's terrible and limited. It could be salvaged but you faggots keep emulating legacy hardware. It's literally living in the past, and not in the good way. It's less like driving stick and more like driving three on the tee.
Wut? I mean like logging into an instance on AWS, like if for some reason that fucking instance is acting weird and you want to see what's going on.

>>X is fine
>Kek
I mean any desktop environment or window manager. I'm on Winblows right now so I'm not running X, no.

I don't know who I'm talking to. If you're some cool kid from /g/ who thinks computing is about running i3 then I guess what I'm saying doesn't apply to you.

They sort of can

Analog is a dumb indicator that requires very, very little thought to understand. Needle goes from bottom to top, fast to slow. You could take the gauges away from the needles and people would still get some use out of them. Hell, most are pretty ambiguous because you normally drive near the speed limit instead of at it (and it doesn't matter, because the gauge reads incorrectly by a different amount each day). The digital readability equivalent of an analog dial, without being skeuomorphic or an extension of the needle going up or a thermometer style, would be something like a color becoming progressively brighter and then flashing at critical levels.

>but I want to know my speed not about how many fasts i am going
The needle is pointing at it. It's not hard. Not being able to deal with this is like not being able to deal with a digital display that has more than one number on it.

>80 in a 60?
>sorry officer i confused my tach for my speedo, i was only going 30!....x100? never saw that before

>millennials seriously believe this

>You just take a glimpse at the arrow on the speedometer and you know how much you are going
I have to take a much longer "glimpse" than I would need with a numeric display. It's the same with analogue wristwatches - I need like one or two seconds to read those as opposed to digital watches where it takes basically no time at all.

Bitch please. This shit is amazing to use.

>It's the same with analogue wristwatches - I need like one or two seconds to read those as opposed to digital watches where it takes basically no time at all.
>1995+21
>can't read a clock by its hands at a glance
We are witnessing literal retardation.

Not only that but you clearly don't understand why reading an "angle" is better than reading an integer. Angles don't require direct viewing to read and can be evaluated correctly when viewed peripherally, whereas integers must be read directly. Anyone who has driven more than 20 minutes in their lifetime does not actively look at any gauges in their dash but instead looks at them in his periphery.

If you're the kind of fucktarded driver who sticks his head into the steering wheel to look at the pretty dash then you need your license taken away.

Bro CLI as a paradigm being comfy has little to do with the terminal you're emulating being a shitty relic.

emulating 1970s hardware in 2016 is ridicks

you don't need precision readings in a car