When did compact SUV's stop being cool and start being the go-to for normalshitters who can't drive?

When did compact SUV's stop being cool and start being the go-to for normalshitters who can't drive?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jkiv-bWbLIo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

When they started offering them in 2wd to lower costs.

When they started making them out of cars instead of trucks.

At the tail end of the gigantic SUV craze, so between 2004 and 2008. Around the time the Prius came out and gave fuck-huge SUVs a bad name.

also those big trucks have now become a status symbol.

i tried pimping out a tahoe...
>$70,000

What are some other enthusiast-tier SUV's?

When soccar moms started buying them because LARGE VEHICLE IS SAFE FOR THE CHILDREN instead of people who wanted to go places normal cars couldn't take them, and trucks and truck based SUVs would break the bank.

In fact, just look at the evolution of the CRV or RAV4 or some other long running CUV name plat.

early CRV are AMAZING off road for what they are, they're REALLY good at it for a 2.0 non vtec 4 banger.

Similar with rav.

Then second gen crv, a little fatter now, gotta make room for stuff, but still not TOO bad, can't offroad physically as well, but torquer engine and still decent clearance and most importantly full size spare, offroad is possible though cautiously.

Then 3rd gen. Just fuck my shit up, big fat as fuck, plenty comfortable don't get me wrong. But don't ever go over anything more than a shallow puddle.

No really, i have a 1999 CRV, my uncle has a 2008 crv, i climbed over a massive bank of snow the trucks had piled up badly on the road last snow fall cos basically space issues. My uncle was stuck there, because he simply COULD NOT climb up the hill no matter what. It was a meter tall bank of packed snow, not too much fear of sinking, but it was tall and hard to get a grip.

Both of us had the same brand snow tires too.

But his AC works and he has heated leather seats and shit. I've got a shitty LED clock that doesn't work half the time. So there's that.

And now the 4th gen. Just pig fat as fuck. Also AWD doesn't work anymore. youtube.com/watch?v=jkiv-bWbLIo it's just traction control at this point.

Same with Forester, look at that image, wider lower center of mass, not pig fat, above the ground. New forester, fat, tall, etc.

Suzuki Vitara/Gran Vitara or whatev it's called in the US
>actually more of a small 4x4 than an SUV

Subaru Forester/Outback/XV
>muh robust, permanent 4WD
>muh low range, which is great for getting places without rekking your clutch

Jeep Cherokee KJ/KK
>although the KK is kinda large

Probably anything compact with a longitudonal engine. low range helps a ton

>tfw you will NEVER EVER own an Isuzu Vehicross

>speaking of Isuzu

These are alright if you get one that isn't made of rust yet. Cheap as fuck, the 2.2/5speed/lwb is probably the best combo.

May have all sorts of badges on it, depending on the country you're in

Oh god it's so ugly.

yea, the prices for those things is nor ludicrously expensive, especially when compared to how much profit they generate for GM. The pickup trucks and full size SUVs are, and always have been, THE most profitable products GM has. Period.

Implying compact SUVs were ever cool

When the last one with wood vinyl on the side went out of production, which in exact numbers was 1994.

stop.

>i will never own a REAL AMERICAN suv

>the car my mom drives to work and to get groceries and to pick up her grandson from school
>enthusiast tier SUV
wew lad

what's the purpose of wood binyl? i know ww2 era cars used real wood but still why, pure aesthetics?

Pre war era cars.
At the time it was a practical way for coach builders to build car bodies.
Post war era cars with wood paneling was not much more than a hark back to the prewar times.

A E S T H I C as fug family

also this

XJ. For all time. You want a 4x4 SUV, and you want an aftermarket as wide as the day is long, you suck it up, buy an XJ, and learn to wrench on it. They just plain do not make cars like that anymore, period. Only the Wrangler comes close and I'm sure even that is more plastic than metal these days.

God the new Cherokee depresses me. Luxury crossover on a damn Fiat frame.

>Implying compact SUVs were ever anything more than glorified station wagons.

Yeah but nobody ever thought to lift a station wagon except the guy with the red Volvo.

AMC Eagles are fucking beasts.

This. 100% this.

JENNIFER

Station wagons are cool and roomy grampa-mobiles king-of-the-road-wagons, compact SUVs are soccer mom shit

>XJs are soccer mom shit