Is there a reason why most of their cars are FF. Even their more powerful cars are FF. Is there a reason for this?

Is there a reason why most of their cars are FF. Even their more powerful cars are FF. Is there a reason for this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jkiv-bWbLIo
youtube.com/watch?v=PG9yWf4MAtI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_layout
carthrottle.com/post/attention-all-honda-owners-your-4x4-crv-might-not-be-a-4x4-after-all/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_layout#cite_note-daytona-3
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_layout#cite_note-hidden-4
youtube.com/watch?v=A-niPZTBouk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's what they're used to. When all your factories have been designed to make FF vehicles, why not keep making them.

The S2K and NSX were their own chassis, the rest of their performance vehicles were tarted up econoboxes. Prelude SH is just an Accord, Type R is just a Civic, etc.

They can make AWD cars though, why not make something like the Civic Type R AWD?

The prelude was never an accord. Not even the same motor not even the same chassis you faggots need to stop saying that shit.

I don't really know.

I guess they've never made performance-oriented AWD outside the new NSX. A Ridgeline's AWD wouldn't be good for speed.

Pretty sure the new Ridgeline's AWD is just SH-AWD from the MDX which was also used in the TL and RL

user...

Shut the fuck up.

Because normies don't give a fuck and normies are their biggest customer

too bad the h22 is also used the euro r and type r accords the bb6 prelude used it for 2 years before hand, so sure you're 10 percent correct

Yeah, yeah, and the Integra is not a Civic.

>normies are their biggest customer

Have you ever been to a car meet user? They're usually filled with hondas. People like to build on them for a reason, regardless of FWD they're good platforms for the price.

They're still the minority

In what sense? Are you talking about the car meets you've never been to?

honduh a shit

people that buy hondas for tuning and performance purposes are the minority consumer, especially of new cars. There's more money in making econoboxes since less and less people seem to even want to drive

But that has nothing to do with your original point

He's right. The prelude isn't an accord, no generation prelude is. Only an idiot who has never driven these cars can say that

I'm not the first user you replied to, I'm just stating that I think Honda makes only FWD because their biggest consumers are normies who won't give a shit about drivetrain. More and more people from my generation and younger don't really give a shit about cars and driving, they won't care if a car is FWD or RWD as long as it's comfortable and gets muh mpgs. People that bring Hondas to car meets are the minority consumer, plus I hardly see new cars at meets that aren't Mustangs, Camaros, or Challengers in this area

So what's the point of your posts then ?

I'm agreeing with the other user as to why Honda makes only FF. What's the point of your posts?

Because 99.8% Honda's customer base doesn't know what a FWD is or how many cylinders they got. They're not going to change all their vehicles drivetrains because some no car, bus riding, video game playing faggots think RWD is superior.

i owned an 00 prelude

its an accord

only with more pigfat

fucking shit car

cant handle

no idea why anyone likes that fucking shit garbage car

>Honda AWD
MORE LIKE ALL WHEEL FRAUD
youtube.com/watch?v=jkiv-bWbLIo

This

FWD is best setup for the average person who couldn't afford AWD.

RWD fun cars are fun, but they don't pay the bills.

Even the best selling roadster, MEMEiata is a small amount of mazda sales in any year since it's intro. The top cars are always sedans, family vehicles and econoboxes.

Same thing with Honda, people buy CRVs civics accords and shit, they don't care about delsols or whatever (yes i know it's not rwd, but it's still a 'sports car' though not really cos any car that isn't rwd will never be a sports car, fuck you if you disagree, there is no sports if you have an automatic fwd, it's just a factory ricer at that point)

Then why can't they make their higher brand civic like the type R an AWD or RWD since it's not really for economic Normie purposes

Because econoboxes sell better. Most people want a cheap car that has good gas mileage and can transport a family comfortably with safety in mind. That's just the way of the current automobile market.

You'll have to look for specialty automobiles and sporty manufacturers for performance.

You'd have to redesign the frame and shit.

FF is superior to FR and MR for stability

Your only argument against FF is literally torque steer

the ridge line is an AWD but its FF when its not running all 4's

what is this test even testing for?

AWD kicks in when it detects traction loss

>FF is superior to FR and MR for stability
Only if you don't know how to drive. Do you not know how to drive?

>yea well I'm a professional driver and any flaws MR or FR has is non-existent
FF is objectively more stable than other drive trains

>FF is objectively more stable than other drive trains
Only if you don't know how to drive. Do you not know how to drive?
>implying you have to be a professional driver to attain the superior RWD advantage
Only the hamfisted throttle stompers believe this.

The new Ridgeline is AWD all the time and can send 100% of it's torque to the rear wheels

enjoy your under steer and traction loss

>yea well gitgud who cares if every car maker is making FF cars because they're more stable hurr durr just stop understeering

if its sending all its torque to the rear then its not AWD is it?

99*

Happy?

>enjoy your under steer
I don't experience that, because I don't have an inferior drive layout.
>and traction loss
I don't experience that unless intentional, because I'm not a hamfisted throttle stomper.

Honda's are built to be reliable and economical
RWD system lose approx 20-25% of their power through the drivetrain so FWD with the exact same engine is already more powerful and fuel efficient

>umm the flaws of FR doesn't apply to me
>theres no possible reason every manufacturer stopped making FR's for FF's instead
>it couldn't possibly have to do with anything with it for more stability

No you see according to some retards that doesn't count because you're not a good driver

Econoboxes sell well, but it's a cutthroat market and the margins suck. Pretty much every manufacturer tries to move shit upmarket whenever possible.

But even then, Honda's reputation is built on reliability and practicality, not "fun", and the average consumer doesn't give a fuck about driving anyway. These days a "nice" car means a fancy interior equipped with a bunch of silly infotainment gadgetry.

>umm the flaws of FR doesn't apply to me
If you know how to drive, this is correct.
>theres no possible reason every manufacturer stopped making FR's for FF's instead
I never said that. What I did say is FWD is more stabile for the laymen.
>it couldn't possibly have to do with anything with it for more stability
>implying the majority of vehicle consumers aren't laymen
kek. Below is a list of LeMans winning FWD cars;

>its another "I'm a good driver" cure-all post

>stabile
Kek, thanks phone. If you had drive wheels, they'd definitely be to the front.

So you admit FWD is inferior?

>muh leemanz
>this is the only driving that counts

its not, it offers superior stability over FR

Are you 16? Did you save up all that money from your news paper deliver job to buy a rusted out Miata on Craigslist?

>Both front wheels spinning like crazy
>BUT THERE'S NO TRACTION LOSS
impressive.

Also, no. The CRV is trying to move the car forward with it's rear wheels, problem is, the rear wheels aren't allowed enough toque to move the car. so 'AWD' has kicked in, if you raised the car on a lift they would start spinning.

This is why the car doesn't just roll back, because rear wheels have enough torque to counter act the normal force.

But then because of heat build up the rear diff simply heats up too much, and the car deactivates it to save the diff. Turning into 2wd, and this is why the car then slides off and rolls back.

youtube.com/watch?v=PG9yWf4MAtI

The sad part is, the old CRV used to be fine cos it used a mechanical system with a bigger diff. It's just the new system that sucks.

jesus I had no idea, how the fuck does Honda get away with some shit like this

I thought it'd be just like my 06 Element where the AWD worked beautifully I couldn't figure out what the test was actually doing

>the rear wheels aren't allowed enough toque to move the car. so 'AWD' has kicked in
Wait, if the car is normally an FF and AWD kicks in the rear wheels should start spinning, in this sentence you make it sound like the rear wheels naturally turn and AWD isn't kicked in yet?

>its not, it offers superior stability over FR
It doesn't, unless you're too inept to pick up a RWD.
Do you consider dropping the kids at school to be a more appropriate measure?

Exactly. You have to out-econobox your competitors and jerk your reputation around. Honda and Toyota are known as reliable affordable economy cars. So they build extremely conservatively and don't try to push any crazy boundaries.

>These days a "nice" car means a fancy interior equipped with a bunch of silly infotainment gadgetry.
Yep. Forget performance, forget style, it's all about muh empeegees and muh gadgets.

>It doesn't, unless you're too inept to pick up a RWD.
You're fucking stupid, manufacturers switched to FF designed cars for a multitude of reasons listed herestability is another reason why FF is superior. In slick conditions FF's don't have any chance of losing traction and spinning out the car.

You're literally retarded if you're denying the science behind why FF is superior for the purpose of consumer environments

I googled some more into this, turns out theres a firmware upgrade for the VSA and AWD failure that would fix this entirely

>Honda and Toyota are known as reliable affordable economy cars. So they build extremely conservatively and don't try to push any crazy boundaries.

Except look at Acura and Lexus

Acura is still mostly FF i4 shitboxes with slighty nicer interiors. based on Accords and Civics

Lexus on the other hand has their own RWD platforms with V6s and even V8 performance versions of some of their cars. MUCH nicer interiors as well

Honda is just shit

>manufacturers switched to FF designed cars for a multitude of reasons listed here
>fuel efficiency
Man, you sure have impressed me with those em pee gees bro.
>sharing drive and steering wheels
>better stability
8/8 shitpost m8

>implying EPG's don't matter when you're buying a car for every day commute and shit

>ur just shit posting
>all the science around FF's being more stable is all fake because it defeats my narrative

>implying EPG's don't matter when you're buying a car for every day commute and shit
I've maintained all along that FWD is acceptable for the layman. I'm not arguing that.

>all the science around FRs being more stable is all fake because it defeats my narrative
Right back at ya shitlord.

>>implying EPG's don't matter when you're buying a car for every day commute and shit
If you're an econocuck maybe

>muh stability
In that case we should all be driving AWD

So we're all in agreement, FWD is inferior?

Finish highschool before posting here

Duh

No, your Element and any CRV before this generation i think 4th gen, has a REALLY GOOD AWD system.

I know cos i have a 1999 and you can just take the front CV axles off and it becomes a RWD. I know cos i had to do that for a few minutes when i was replacing my CV axles and fucked up.

The new CRV has a diff that's tiny and isn't allowed enough torque to do that.

No, it's a FWD until front wheels spin, then the rear wheels are allowed torque until no wheel spin is detected.

The new CRV diff isn't allowed enough torque to move the car forward using ONLY the rear wheels like the old CRV was allowed. Or most other Slip detection AWD are allowed.

All awd are allowed a certain torque split to the rear and front wheels, some cars like say patriot usually are 100% torque to the front and up to 40% to the rear, when slip is detected. But you can lock it so that each side has 50/50 split no matter what. Subarus generally always have 60/40 split so are always AWD.

Most REAL offroad cars are allowed as much torque to any axle as the engine can supply, so it can be 50/50 10/90 100/0 52/48 whatever is needed.

The CRV diff only applies enough torque that the rear wheels lock up, not enough to move the car forward like a good AWD system (like in that example ford escape) did.

Also inb4 ford shill. The CRV was the ONLY small crossover tested that failed that test. All other CUV except Subaru use slip detection system, only CRV failed, everyone else (of course subaru) passed the test.

Answer the question

Only after you're done going through puberty

jesus I almost bought a 2016 crv if not for a nice civic staring in my face

>projecting
Funny, given the FWD Honda you're defending is the perfect first vehicle for the pubescent teen.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_layout

>Placing the mass of the drivetrain over the driven wheels moves the centre of gravity farther forward than a comparable rear-wheel-drive layout, improving traction and directional stability on wet, snowy, or icy surfaces.[1][2][3]
>Predictable handling characteristics: front-wheel-drive cars, with a front weight bias, tend to understeer at the limit, which (according to SAAB engineer Gunnar Larsson) is easier since it makes instinct correct in avoiding terminal oversteer, and less prone to result in fishtailing or a spin.[3][4]
>A skilled driver can control the movement of the car even while skidding by steering, throttling and pulling the hand brake (given that the hand brake operates the rear wheels as in most cases, with some Citroen and Saab models being notable exceptions).
>It is easier to correct trailing-throttle or trailing-brake oversteer.[3]

>No guys the FF increased stability over FR isn't real!

The fix was offered for only the 2013 model after it also failed this test, and was only offered to Sweden.

After the new failure, Honda instead gave out a written response that amounts to:
>This isn't a realistic scenario
>The read diff is weak as shit
>It's not REALLY AWD system
>The diff is made to save fuel
>Don't get it too hot, it turns into 2wd if you do
>We haven't gotten customer complaints
>CRV IS NUMBER ONE SELLER!!!

And that's about it.

carthrottle.com/post/attention-all-honda-owners-your-4x4-crv-might-not-be-a-4x4-after-all/

Also read the comments, i got a chuckle out of them.

Another lesson in, do your research.

No really, i spent an entire day of google reviews, reading tech specs, reading third party tests, and so on, before i bought my 2016 Nissan Rogue.

It also btw has slip detection based AWD, but it is normally a 100/0 torque split, until slip is detected, then the rear diff is allowed up to 50% of torque.

Also it has awd lock that locks center diff to 50/50 split. Though if you use it too much it gets too hot and goes into 2wd mode. Unlike say a jeep patriot who's rear diff can handle all the heat you throw at it. There are better awd systems yes, subaru genuinly has the best AWD system any CUV offers, but that's cos it's a full time system not a part time like everyone else.

I want to test how much heat that takes this winter.

>FF has increased stability over FR according to some guy of a company that is defunct
Gonna need a source from a relevant engineer, not one that rode a whole maunfacturer off the outside of a corner.

>>It's not REALLY AWD system
I almost don't believe this, they advertise it as a 2014 Honda CRV AWD the same way they have every other CRV, and even the pilot, crosstour and shit do have the AWD appendage

>that engineer from SAAB doesn't count
>pick a different engineer
careful don't let off the back pedal your argument will stall

>gonna need a source
its sourced right in the wiki article you blind shit.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_layout#cite_note-daytona-3
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_layout#cite_note-hidden-4
its highlighted right there

Well, it's supposed to be a SLIP DETECTING AWD also known as Part time AWD.

And there's ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that, for a family car it's perfectly normal and even most offroaders are 2wd until they're either locked or detect slip. And it still earns the AWD tag.

The problem lies in Hondas AWD system, that CLEARLY isn't AWD at all. Only the front wheels are actually capable of driving the vehicle.

A good awd system is such that if all wheels lost traction except one that one is able to move the car forward. And most systems can do this, but honda only the front wheels can do shit.

Problem is, no one is ever gonna call them on it. Sad but Honda is living on it's reputation.

Sucks it was my favorite Japanese manufacturer. I'm not sure if Subi gets the spot now or if i should give it to Nii san.

>What could have been

>thinking lemans is the same as driving in everyday conditions including shit road and weather conditions.
>moving goalposts
And besides, in a race you just want the most power you can get out of your vehicle. Anything over 500whp on a fwd car is just not going to get to the wheels so rwd and awd platforms are used for putting down tons of power. Does that mean they are more stable? No, it means they're more powerful. Does that matter at all in a real world environment? Absolutely not.

Oh and it's not like any of this matters to you, the only racing you do is on the bench.

>in a race you just want the most power you can get out of your vehicle. Anything over 500whp on a fwd car is just not going to get to the wheels so rwd and awd platforms are used for putting down tons of power.
so you admit FWD is inferior?

>acura interiors are shit
U fukkin wot m8?

It isn't inferior, there are things called pros and cons.
FF has less drivetrain power loss (more efficient), is the lightest layout, and has much better stability in all road and weather conditions.
Rwd and awd as layouts are capable of putting down REALLY large amounts of power, but it would be in vehicles that you will never be able to afford and it doesn't apply to real world situations.

TL;DR your miata will never be a ferrari and will still get BTFO'd by civics.

>FF has less drivetrain power loss (more efficient)
>is the lightest layout
>and has much better stability in all road and weather conditions.
Relevant only when your shitbox is;
1)underpowered to begin with
2)as of above
3)primarily marketed to people who apply lipstick daily.
In only these examples is FWD superior.

Look at the corolla, it's a chincy fwd automatic 4 speed dog turd. Toyota makes their fair share of dog turds, in fact Lexus is not their bread and butter, dog turds like the Corolla are.

Isn't AWD have the top stability in all road and weather conditions?

>Lexus on the other hand has their own RWD platforms
Name one platform in a volume selling Lexus that isn't shared with a Toyota model. Do it.
> with V6s
Honda/Acura doesnt have a V6? Ooookay. Let me guess your Lexus V6 isnt used in Toyotas either, right?

>this triggers the FWD cucks
Inb4 some long winded mental gymnastics trying to justify their flawed design.

Inb4 some RWD faggot starts latching onto the AWD wagon

youtube.com/watch?v=A-niPZTBouk

I can't tell if I'm falling for the advertisement or not, but it seems that there are other manufacturers (not just Honda CR-V) with the same kind of weakish-part-time-AWD. Any ideas? Maybe Subaru just cherrypicked or played around with the throttle so the competitors wouldn't look as good.

>not wanting the most out of your engine
>implying your vehicle would make anywhere near the amount of power needed to have a real advantage over fwd

Heavy and can induce oversteer.

You drove the shit gen.

I've driven a 91, 95 and 2001. 3rd and 4th gens are definetly not similar to accords.

Fifth gens were boats.

assmad FWDcuck detected
I'd be unhappy too if I understeered off a corner because my stability levels were too high.

5th gen is not that much heavier
I drive an accord that weighs the same, it still handles pretty good

>Is there a reason why most of their cars are FF.
Because FF is more economical, practical, and fuel efficient, hallmarks of Honda.

It's also more boring and infamous for understeer plus torquesteering

>It's also more boring
Nobody cares for a grocery getter.

> infamous for understeer
This happens to nobody driving normally.

>torquesteering
This happens to nobody driving normally.

This.
So you admit FWD is inferior?

>So you admit FWD is inferior?
For motorsport applications only.

>For measurable objectives only
ftfy