How did Veeky Forums learn to not roll back on hills while driving manual?

How did Veeky Forums learn to not roll back on hills while driving manual?

New to driving stick and need some tips.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nhQPBSa2w9k
youtube.com/watch?v=pzExFrZ9vX4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Find a hill with no traffic and practice on it

I always just put it in neutral and let myself roll backwards into place and then I just slam the brake and pull the parking brake.

Being quick and learning the feel for your clutch.

Or if you are new to it you can use the parking brake, put it in gear and do both the clutch and the brake at the same time. It's not exactly friendly on your car. but you won't break anything.

Redline it and slip the clutch until it's time to shift into second.

Just pull and hold the parking brake with the button down, accelerate a bit and gradually lift the clutch pedal, when you feel that the car is trying to move, take off the parking brake and you won't roll back.

you need to know exactly where and how your clutch bites, and work accordingly, easier said than done until youve got enough practice

will do.

have the clutch out just enough to hold it a bit then switch from the brake to giving it gas. Make sure you give it some extra since your clutch is already released a bit

Am I the only one who just kicks the gas pedal with his heel while letting out the clutch? If you give the throttle a little blip for that initial moment when the clutch bites, you get a free second or two where the car won't move backwards (because the clutch is engaged) or stall (because the revs are high, albeit dropping), during which you can put your foot properly over the gas pedal, add more throttle, and drive off. Basically a "heel-toe hill start".

While on the hill do the following:

1. brake
2. shift into first gear
3. slowly start taking your foot of the clutch
4. Get to the point where your revs drop and your car will start to roar
5. keep your clutch at that point
6. take your feet off the break
7. throttle and progressivley release clutch

thats it, if performed correctly you will have LITERALY 0 rollback

inb4damagedclutchfags

Not using the handbrake as laid out in every proper test. Retard.

1. Use handbrake
2. Git guud

>Part 2

Only do this until you get used to your clutch and can easily do what this anonsays.

break lol

>3. slowly start taking your foot of the clutch
>4. Get to the point where your revs drop and your car will start to roar
why would it roar if the revs are dropping

i don't think this would work on low-torque shitboxes

woah woah woah yusomad

Where I live you dont have to use the handbreak. Im also not aware of where this is necessary to pass the drivers test (england mayb?).

watch this : youtube.com/watch?v=nhQPBSa2w9k

its a small drop then it goes into normal and starts to give traction to your wheels.

Also not a roar, its more of a moan.

Feel for your clutch first, know the bite point.
If it's a car I don't know, I usually just pull the clutch out halfway or until the revs dip (whichever comes first) with my foot on the brake.
Then I blip the throttle a couple of times to get the revs high and then let the clutch out to the bite and continue blipping.

Your blips will be dependent on the grade of the hill, obviously.

Don't be afraid to give it gas

If the hill is not very steep, just use more gas than you might think you need while pulling out the clutch. Overdoing this can hurt the clutch, but more gas prevents you from stalling.

Once you can reliably not stall on hills, you can get a feel for how much gas you need to give the car to keep it from stalling.

Use the handbrake like a normal person.

Try driving without shoes. You can feel the connection with your car and when the clutch bites, easier to heel-toe as well, if you want to take off real smooth.

Grew up on hills driving a manual tractor on some STEEP gulleys so basically i never let it.

>engage handbrake
>apply throttle and release clutch until you can feel the car pulling forward
>disengage handbrake

literally the same as a normal takeoff, just with a little more throttle for bigger hills

It really depends on how steep the hill is. You'd be stupid to not use the name break on really steep inclines.

>Also not a roar, its more of a moan.

Buy a shitty old car with 40hp and a broken handbrake.

Well if you drive a manny long enough you'll just learn how to launch quickly enough to not even roll a bit.

Otherwise just let go of the clutch until it catches, and then let go of brake and add some gas.

>Handbrake
>Biting point on clutch with set throttle
>Car tilts up slightly
>release handbrake

Engage handbrake, bring clutchh up until you feel it pull, give a little gas and let of the handbrake.
Do they not teach Americans how to drive or something?

Idk man i (not op) live in Canada and we have an obligatory automatic driving course which is cheaper than the manual one so no, no one taught me how to do it o

Use the fucking handbrake. It's no worse on your car than the regular brakes (probably even less because you can concentrate better and thus rev it less) and much more comfortable to do because you don't need to operate 3 pedals with your feet.

works on a 60hp ford fiesta

Hold the car with the brakes and clutch
Slowly release clutch till you feel that the car wants to go forward (like when you are holding the car in place with the brakes in D with an auto)
Release the brakes and start to gradually input more throttle
the car starts to creep forward and you can release the clutch now
give it more gas and you are a go

sounds complicated, yes, but after a few times, its second nature to do this and you will do it all in like half a second with no jerks

>Using the park brake
Hello grandma

In the UK you cant drive a manual unless you pass your test on one. I didnt understand why until i came to Veeky Forums and saw that people cant even work out how to do a hillstart by themselves.

Clutch slipping
Basically he is telling OP how to drive like a teen that just got his drivings permit and has no idea how to balance clutch and brakes so he is compensating with engine torque

to be fair this should be the standard
Just like most civilized places make you take different tests to different vehicle classes, you should only be allowed on a manual if you passed the manual test

still how i drive manual
slam the throttle and slowly drop the clutch

This
Disengage the ebrake just as you engage the clutch. Your roll-back will be minimal and eventually you'll get familiar enough with your clutch engagement point that you won't need to e-brake.

>tfw I just hold it with the clutch
Done it with everything I've ever owned and never had an issue.

>B-b-but the clutch fork bearing throwout fluid!!!
I bet you guys think resting your hand on the shifter is going to make a difference too.

I learned to not give a shit if my shitbox rolls back a couple inches. Because you actually don't have to give a shit about it.

just practice moving your right foot quickly from the brake to throttle, really not hard

until every faggot trolls you by stopping right behind you

Eh, first time I had a hill start I stalled.
You just gotta be quicker than usual, none of the taking your time you can get away with pretty much anywhere else.
>parking brake
if it helps ya it helps ya, but Iearned manual this year and I've never used my P brake for anything other than parking.

5000rpm clutch drop! Minimal roll and plenty of go to get you started.

This. You learn by rolling back when there's no one behind you and burning a little rubber and being mistaken for a douchebag when there is until you find the middle point between the two for your particular car.

I looked at the hill, and thought I'd better apply more power after finding the biting point.
Having already used said biting point to get a feel for driving at all, that was the last time I ever had issues with hill starts.

Aside from when the dimwit in front slamming the brakes on and making me do the whole thing over again in a hurry, of course.

>5000rpm
lmao half of that is okay

>driven manual for a year
>when learning, father took me out on hills and just made me do hill-starts with out rolling back til I got it down
>never have used handbrake
>still haven't burnt clutch or rolled back into anyone

reading this thread is confusing

My teacher taught me that in driving school. I'm form Europe, so pretty much everybody here drives manual and has had to learn not to roll back on hills. The problem is whether they give enough of a shit not to roll back after they got their license. A friend of mine always lets the car slide backwards and say that "lol, I can do it if I want, I just don't care".

This fucking ebrake bullshit. Just let the clutch out you asshole.

GIT GOOD FAGGOT

Just give it some gas.
youtube.com/watch?v=pzExFrZ9vX4

Why?

learn your catch point. as you come off the brakes to a point where you're about to begin moving you should be ready to catch and add throttle. might be easier to do with the hand brake for new manual drivers.

if you're buying a newer car chances are it has hill start assists for larger hills. you can clutch in and it will auto hold brakes for about 5 seconds before letting go.

alternative WAT racing way to hill start
>foot on brakes or use hand brake
>clutch in
>1st gear
>rev to anywhere from 3k rpm- redline
>ease off brakes
>drop clutch
>????
>fast on the uphill

I have a car with hill assist. Holds the brakes for me until I give it some gas. My friend thought I was spoiled and wouldn't know hot to start without it.

I turned it off and drove fine without it for a couple of months. I even forgot about it. It came back on during a reset so I just leave it on now.

Place your watch / fagphone under the rear tyre.
Get in the car
Don't suck

>I saw top gear usa
>AM I COOL GUYS?

>having to learn
My car isn't a shitbox, it has Hill Start Assistâ„¢

jk, I learned at like age 11 in my grandfathers beat to shit S10 5 speed farm truck. We'd go out on dirt roads and he'd say 'Alright user, let the clutch out until it just starts to grab but doesn't slow the engine down, let your foot off the brake, give it a little gas and ease the clutch on out.' I killed it and tried again until it was easy.

Rev like 1k higher than you do on a flat. Pop foot off clutch, blast eurobeat.

I shoved two Mexicans behind the front wheels every time I was on a slope.