What the fuck is even happening in an automatic when I put it in park...

What the fuck is even happening in an automatic when I put it in park? If I park on a hill it lurches very disconcertingly but if I park with my foot on the brake (or the e-brake) and slowly release it there isn't any lurch. Is it just holding the car in gear? What gives?

> Is it just holding the car in gear?

your auto doesn't have gears (unless its a honda)

>auto doesn't have gears

>transmission doesn't have any gears in it

>turn on car
>gears fall out

A tiny fucking piece of metal attempts to stop the final drive gear from turning

As you can guess, that tiny fucking piece of metal can break. That's why you still have the "emergency brake" even though actually using it in an emergency will cause you to doifto and do a barrel roll down the interstate.

>Honda's automatic transmissions are unusual in that they do not use planetary gears like nearly all other makers. Instead, the Hondamatic and its successors use traditional, individual gears on parallel axes like a manual transmission, with each gear ratio engaged by a separate hydraulic clutch pack. This design is also noteworthy because it preserves engine braking by eliminating a sprag between first and second gears

typical autos have a planetary gearset. it has "gears"

>planetary gears are not gears.

Okay then.

kys WyoTech fag

Most automatics have a Park Pawl that's held away from it's gear when not in park. Your tansmission is actually in neutral with the pawl holding the output of the trans in place. The lurch you're feeling is a combination of the play between where the pawl is and the next tooth on the gear and you diff and driveline

>doesn't have any gears

Say what?

>unless it's a Honda

Oh I can tell you that those cars come without any gears.

>sarcastic smile

I hate it when I turn on my car and my gears fall out

>fucking Hyundai's

>what are gears

I've never heard of the park feature breaking on someone, how often does that actually happen?

Anton ain't die for this shit

>Riding with my mother
>She drives an 02' Trailblazer
>Get to TSC and she hands me a chunk of 2x4
>Tells me park no longer works
>Everywhere we went that day we had to block the tires
>Everyone stares
>Not a clue how it broke or if it's even broke really

At least she made a solution but e-brake?

Living in the rust belt you don't use the e-brake unless you've always used it.