QTDDTOT : Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Don't Fall For Any Meme Edition

>Ask Veeky Forums questions that are either sensible or stupid here.
>Also answer to questions if you know them.

Posting you're question in a general or daily thread might increase your chances of your question being answered.
(Threads listed below might be archived and also some generals which are not mentioned have not been seen since ages.)
>Sticker question?
>Auto vidya question?
>Honda question?
>Hot hatch question?
>BMW question?
>Australia question?
>Motorcycle question?
>Truck question?
>Used Car question?
Read the sticky first.

Last QTDDTOT Thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9LXRHywt8bY
ebay.com/itm/322214521715?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My car is in need of a new exhaust and I don't feel like buying a new one. What are the pro and con of buying a used exhaust? Should I clean it before putting it on the car? Wash inside?

you already have a used exhaust why do you need another?

UKfag here - looking for some suggestions on a £1k-2k hatchback (hot if poss.) for DD.

I have a 2014 honda civic EX-L

Is there any advantage what so ever to using a higher octane fuel than regular?

peugeot 306 gti-6

Any older Golf.

On topic of Golfs, I just got myself a free 2001 mk4 Golf, 1.9 litre TDI and all that shit. Thing is, the turbo has been swapped, it ain't that tiny pathetic potato anymore, but it's a fucking humongous death contraption, probably stolen from a 300TD Benz or such shit.
Now the problem is, the car has stock everything else and the turbo ain't spooling, like at all.
COuld the no boost issue be because how ridiculously oversized it is for the tiny stock 4 banger diesel engine?
I checked around quickly and didn't notice any boost leak or tubings being off, I mean the boost gauge inside does raise a bit when driving, but it barely breaks atmosphere, like at all. Usually sits just a tiny bit above 0 when accelerating. Doesn't matter if I gun it and hit like 4k rpm, still no boost.

M I C R A

If the manual tells you to use a lower octane, never go higher.

wastegate might be opening when not wanted.
i had the same problem with a different car and it turned out the rod had detached from the lever. that meant the wastegate couldn't shut tight.

Just seen a Citroen Xsara VTR HDI for sale for cheap on ebay, I'd love you to buy it if I don't get there first.

Oh right right, external wastegate and actuator. Didn't think of that.
Sorry, diesels and turbos aren't my forte. Will have some fun tomorrow with my sister trying to figure out what the fuck is wrong.

But in theory, could it also be because the turbo is too big? I mean, it's apparently a KKK charger from an old W124 300TD, so it shouldn't be THAT big, but the 300TD is a 3 litre straight 6 and the, whatever the fuck VAG piece of shit, that I have is a tiny 4 pot.

Ah yes I was thinking of looking at Golfs - what max milage should I be looking at? I've always shared cars so new to things.

Would a FiST make a good DD?

Why not? Might be a bit more expensive to own and maintain than your basic Fiasko, but it's still a basic shitbox.

wastegate should be internal, pretty sure it is...
just swap the turbo for a gt1852v, it's cheap, proven and works well on these
more importantly, is your sister hot?

>wastegate should be internal
Uhh, some cars do have external wastegates, like the leBarons for example. More common in older cars as far as I know.

Also, she's like your average 16 year old girl. Feels wrong to say this but I think she's pretty damn fine looking.
I was wondering if I just should part away with this car, but she instantly fell in love with it and i had to take her around town in the golf, 3 in the fucking morning.

Is it a bad idea wanting to put bulletproof windows in a truck?
That they are thicker would affect the installation somehow?

>Why
Because Mexico.

Its loud and I got a fix it ticket because commifornia.

How often should I change the oil in my truck? Its an 05 with a 4.8L V8 Vortec engine with 304k. I use synthetic but I hear different things. Some say after 4k but I've even heard of 8-10k.

yeah i was just saying i thought the 300td had an intwernal wg. whatever.
gt18v should be a quick spooling unit.
if you can deal with more lag for a bigger punch something like a GT2359V would be a great choice but those were expensive last i saw.

i need to fap so pls post sis pics :)

check the dipstick

If subies get their unique exhaust note from uneven headers, will having uneven lengths on a straight pipe axle back cause any difference in sound? I'm meaning I have an inline 4 single pipe exhaust that splits to duals behind the axle, if one of those pipes after the split was longer/shorter than the other would it cause any sort of exhaust note modification (if there is no mufflers in the system)?

Don't need a lot of power, especially if I leave this thing for my sis as her first car, don't want her end up wrapped around a tree in the thing.
What cars had the gt18v? If I remember correctly, the Opel omega's 2.2 TDI engine sported those at one time.

When will I know when to replace my clutch?

try starting in 3rd gear. if it works easily your clutch is fucked.

Search ebay for GT1852v... but then double check on google that the variant you buy has a compatible turbine flange to the vw manifold.
Generally it was fitted on numerous 2.2 litre diesels. There's also the GT2056V which can be good for 180hp+. Basically the bigger the numbers the bigger and laggier the turbo.
You can check the TDI forums as you get uprated turbos that will bolt right on to your engine regularly come up locally for good prices and that might be preferable to sourcing a used turbo of unknown condition from across the planet.

If you're good mechanically/electrically i would recommend devising some kind of water injection system as it will keep the inside of your engine and turbo cool and carbon free and make a bit more power available on tap too if you need.

anyway, have fun with your sis m8, I'm sure I would :^)

accelerate up a hill in 3rd or 4th, if the revs flare and the car doesn't accelerate it's toast.
don't do this it just wears the clutch.

Thank you for your input. I will first try and see what the fuck is going on with the current one. If I am not completely dumb here, it should get at least some boost done, the engine can't be that gutless.
I mean, I dropped a fuckhuge holsett charger stolen from a god damn dump truck in my previous Chrysler LeBaron GTC, sure you had to hit over 4k for anything to happen, but when it did you sure as fuck noticed something happening, like the seats spine snapping and leaving the seat in a weird twisted position.

Anyone know of problems or can make a recommendation for a 2007 Volvo XC70 or something else AWD? In toronto there's very few and my boss is selling his which goes for about $5000-$6000 on kijiji and autotrader.

Also can anyone attest to the reliability of the Haldex AWD system?

It would help but those crazy cartel mofos us full autos and big guns so you'd have to probably put more steel plating inside the doors to protect your body, ask /k/

>Haldex
It's VAG crap, take that as you will. One of my mates back in the military had an XC70 himself, the older models apparently had a viscous coupling unit for AWD and they later on moved to Haldex. Apparently the Haldex system was all around superior as the viscous system was quite shit in his opinion.

np m8, i just circled the bit that fucked on my turbo, just a little c-clip you can just about see in the pic rusted out and the actuator rod came of the lever/turnbuckle thing.
hope that it's something that simple (the part is $0.10 but always it's a massive arseache to get to without a lift) but even then the turbo you have will spool pretty late - count yourself lucky if it comes in a 3k

I'm cool with late spooling, should save on muh em pee gees a bit when the thing has absolutely fuck all power on straight roads if driven gently, but that extra push will really help with uphill driving which right now is a fucking chore as you'll have to drop down to lower gear all the time till you realize that you're in second and still losing speed on a tiny fucking incline.

diesels work differently and they seem to get better mpgs when boosting. dunno why.
check the tdi forums for snails, and good luck.

Shit, could probably be because more air, more compression, cleaner burning and shit like that, I dunno I never worked on diesel cars aside for that ancient W123 I had, which was NA.

A mate of mine has a huge fucking hardon for Golfs and has like a dozen or so pulled apart engines from these things, could always ask him if he's willing to trade my turbo for a smaller one.

Yep

You can get a Mountune 215HP kit that won't void warranty, though it has to be dealer installed ($$$)

fuck, just realised i forgot the pic

yeah because diesels can run a huge range of air fuel ratio, you can run the thing at high boost and have it inject tiny amounts of but burn it completely.

Well most mk4s that I have seen sit somewhere under 100k. Check the fuel pump and belt, they usually need to be replaced around this mileage.
Pricing over where I live is about 4000 - 5000.
My mk4 GTI has a fair amount of work under the hood and I've enjoyed very few other cars.

Shit, I'm starting to get a bit interested in working on that thing, and I fucking loathed VAG cars.
It's a shame diesel cars over here in Scandinavia are taxed to hell and back, it's completely ridiculous and basically means that a diesel car is pretty much unusable as a basic daily unless you drive a god damn 24h endurance races worth of road in a day.

could driving with an unsecured steering column (with the adjustment paddle down) fuck the control arm bushings

because that happened

and the control arm bushings are fucked

so did that cause it

Is Golf R better than Focus RS and Merc A45 AMG?

Anything is better than the RS at this point, tons of things that are going wrong with it, so much hype for the first gen of this car.

Honestly not surprised.

5k if your paranoid, 10k if you really don't give a shit.

Theres absolutey no reason to use anything but synthetic.

Anyone here ever registered a no title bike in Vermont as a resident of a different state? I'm filling out the registration application right now; what should I put where it asks for my Vermont driver's license number and for my federal ID number? Also, anything else I should know about this process? There's very little info online about the loophole.

What is the fastest car for the money?

So, I got a front strut bar + front stress bar on my FWD shitbox. Difference was immediately noticeable and I love how it handles now, but I've read concerning comments about those bars making understeer more of an issue.

Should I get a rear strut bar?

Pic related, the guy who make/install these took it after he was done, he hadn't installed any on this particular car before.

Is there any difference between DCT and CVT?
Also which is good?

Why do you say that about synthetic? Thanks btw

Yes I need to research about this stuff - beyond the test I know fuck all about cars so thanks.

I just got my first job and I've had enough of sharing my mum's Fiesta so want a DD of my own so a mk4 GTI sounds great.

Adding stiffness to one end of a car will change the grip bias to the opposite end (add stiffness to front=understeer. Add stiffness to rear=oversteer). A beefier rear sway bar would help to neutralize the balance.

are you going to keep it stock or add in aftermarket items?

Stock to begin with - but maybe if I learn some stuff I'll put some parts in.

Think I need to hit the lot more as I'm good driving but still shite at parking - never felt natural really like it should.

Don't worry it will come as you drive more, start with suspension then move into ecu and clutch, after that everything should be cake to find out.
The car is cheap to take care of and a great learner for stick.
Any other cars you're interested in besides the ST and GTI?

>ST

I don't know if I even mentioned that - more just looking for a decent DD that is a small hatchback.

But yeah it's always been weird despite driving for 3 years - I'm pretty confident when it comes to driving thanks to my dad but I park like a woman.

Err sorry been bouncing around threads....
but yea stick to the GTI, it's fun.

It lasts longer, is more viscous at start up and maintains its viscosity longer over time as it breaks down.

The only good reason to use traditional is that its cheaper and some older engines are better suited for it.

Yes, did you not try to at least google the differences?

Ok - but any other suggestions? I always like a bucket list to keep things open.

And I'll try to find something under 100k too.

what does WAT mean

what

WAT Stands for WAT automotive Technologies.

beamer 135i
subaru wrx
benzo a45 AMG
>going low ball
older honda's
Hyundai veloster
>Shit tier
Ford focus

Hmm thanks but some of those are a bit pricey £2k is upper limit.

Then the Honda, GTI, and Focus are about where you would be.

A Civic I assume? Alright thanks.

Yep, anytime.

This video suggests that the C6 is the best cars to learn a stick on.
>youtube.com/watch?v=9LXRHywt8bY

I wanna learn manual and should I go out and buy a C6?

Am I better off going with DSG over manual in a FWD? If yes/no, why?

What is this black hose called???

Also does this spot on the throttle body need a gasket? I just bought this car and there wasn't one when I took it apart.

I have $1,500

I need a car that runs and isn't total shit

What do I get?

Ford taurus

no fucking idea about the hose but yes you need a gasket

So those shits actually affect handling/suspension characteristics?

Intake boot, or something similar and yes the intake needs a gasket.

Look it up on fordparts.com

Depends on the car and geometry but yes in general they stiffen the car.

I got these shit headers off of ebay and the geometry doesn't fit with the oem piping. So at the doughnut gasket, the cat angles a bit instead of being straight on causing a leak and disgusting hissing sound.

Is there anything I can do to stop the leak without replacing the headers?

Let's say I was shopping for a 2015-2016 Mustant GT. What other cars should I look at as alternatives?

What's a good car for delivering pizzas if I am 6'8"?

Land rover question. Im planning on travelling the US next year, and I need a good vehicle for the job. I figured a model 110 would do the job well, and I could order a Dormobile kit, but all that is expensive as hell and Im not sure I could get the money for it in a year. Does anyone have any alternate suggestions, or should I just get myself a Land Rover?

factory plastic wheel covers (i.e. aren't actually part of the wheel). take them off or leave them on?

steelies will only look any good if your car is lowered. if they're on a stock car, then leave them on.

Ok. I should probably take them off to clean the wheels though, right?

Check fluid or wait till 5k

is this grey or silver

ebay.com/itm/322214521715?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&

>first gen

>

When my car start cold, the oil pressure gauge points to the high end over the line off the chart. It does go back to near middle after a short while. Should I be concerned and replace the oil with lower rating? My mechanic gave me 15W40.

what engine?

It is a 1.6L 1990 miata

A miata. The sky's your limit.

hey, I picked up a 2002 focus svt this week. its got about 75k miles and the previous owner seemed to have gone off the deep end in terms of mods. will be doing my best to get things back to oem appearances at least.
think I got a good car in terms of something modern and practical and still kinda fun?

How do I put a Ferrari 488 in park? There is no Park button!? Only thing I can find is you shut off the car and it locks itself in park?

Not that one in pic?

It puts itself in park when you turn the engine off

I'm a retard I didn't read the second half of your post. Pull both paddles and press the button on the dash

Put two bricks under rear wheels.

That's the parking brake, but, is that the same as "Park"?

Pulling both paddles puts it in neutral, but, what then puts it into park? So the parking brake is the same as putting it in "Park" in something like a Porsche with PDK?

Do weight distribution hitches increase max towing?
Looking at 1998 Dodge 1500
Max towing. Would a hitch like that get it up to 8000?

There is no parking pawl in the trans, when you turn off the car in gear it activates the brake, or if you do it in neutral and activate it yourself. IDK how the Porsche box works.