So my girlfriend will be getting her license soon, and subsequently, her first car

So my girlfriend will be getting her license soon, and subsequently, her first car.

She's absolutely dead set on an SUV or Jeep of some sort. I've suggested other cars to her, but she won't have it. We live in a state where there's snow for about 5-6 months out of the year, so I do see the need for AWD or 4WD but other than that, I don't know where to go.

Budget isn't really being talked about yet. We'd be going for something used/off craigslist.

What are some good SUV's? Originally we were looking at Durango's, but they're not as common as I thought they were and have high as fuck (250+) if they are available.

Other urls found in this thread:

maine.craigslist.org/search/cto
maine.craigslist.org/cto/5683055870.html
maine.craigslist.org/cto/5698978710.html
maine.craigslist.org/cto/5706681377.html
maine.craigslist.org/cto/5710923409.html
maine.craigslist.org/cto/5682512864.html
maine.craigslist.org/cto/5715104819.html
maine.craigslist.org/cto/5716934803.html
maine.craigslist.org/cto/5698708648.html
maine.craigslist.org/cto/5693366742.html
maine.craigslist.org/cto/5714521069.html
maine.craigslist.org/ctd/5716670084.html
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Ford Explorer. They're fast as fuck

Get her an Ecoboost Explorer

>6.0 to 60

Dang, that's actually fast for a soccer mom tier car

Are you the liberty faggot from the other day?

Ford Explorer

Holy fuck hivemind.
>inb4 assmad samefag sage hero
Polite sage for samefagging

Suv safety thread?

I was looking at older 2002+ Explorers (since her budget is probably sub $5000) and I found a few, but I've heard really bad things about them chewing ball joints and struts going like x2 as fast as any other SUV from that era.

Which is better in terms of lasting longer? The v6 or the v8?

I live in a college town but i see so man early 20s girls in 4th gen 4runners.

My parents just got my younger brother a 2006 sport 4x4 with 110k miles for just under 15 grand. It's in great condition and should easily last another 100k miles.
mpg isn't the best but it's and SUV

4wd Volvo v40

Mercury mountaineer

Tell her to shut the fuck up and buy a civic. Awd is unnecessary and it'll just give her false confidence so she'll drive like an ass in bad weather and total the shitbox.

>just got an explorer
>see this thread

16 year old gf????

Don't really need an SUV, just get a good ol' Impreza if you really feel the need for AWD/4WD.

desu in most case it's unnecessary. I don't own ANY cars with that.

Acura MDX or Honda Pilot.

If she gets a jeep just be sure to tell her not to turn or it falls over

>I live in a college town
So you're in college? Stop trying to sound older than you are, kiddo. You're not fooling anyone.

Avoid these trolls, the Explorer is a death trap. Want your girlfriend to die in a random car fire or rollover? Get an Explorer.
If you're looking at Jeeps, check out the Compass 4x4. It's more suited to young women and has a decent 4 wheel drive system. And you can find one with low mileage for around 15k.

The 2016 Explorer has a 5 star crash safety rating. You're the only dumbfuck in the thread that should be ignored.

Explorer is fine if you're on a sub-5K budget, but has obvious drawbacks, consult the sticky for that

If you have a 10K-ish budget, Honda Pilot or a Wrangler if you're girl is really dead set on a Jeep. Both hold value well, are simple and straightforward to maintain, and have 4WD/AWD if you need it.

You can check out the Compass/Patriot, but I hate them, they are rental fleet tier cars that just have god awful build quality, and will be worthless by the time you need to get rid of them

>The 2016 Explorer
You think OP's """"GF"""" is getting a brand new Explorer? She'd probably get a last generation model.

Jeeps aren't exactly safe either. The older generations are even worse.

How big are you looking to get? We have an '09 Expedition Limited. It's decent, and my wife loves it. But we also tow a horse trailer with it.

I'm contemplating an '05 Lincoln Aviator, or another BMW wagon. As for other brands, I have no experience with them, so I can't comment.

No one up here drives Civics in the winter.

Even I garage my Charger and use my mothers Rav4 she never drives in the winter.

Not really sure on size. She wants to be able to fit her family on road trips (her sister, and her two parents + me) with all the family luggage. We go camping a few times in the summer.

So far I've looked at Durangos, Grand Cherokees, Explorers, and Trailblazers.

Tbh, crash test ratings aren't much of a bother. She doesn't feel safe in any vehicle, so it's a moot point honestly.

Durango is garbage user

Explore is fine on a poverty tier budget but if you're spending more than 5K you have better options

GC and Trailblazer are meh, and again the strength of recommendation ties directly to your budget

Again, I am going to plug the Pilot (because I have one and my wife loves it) and the Wrangler (if your girl has to have a Jeep) for the same reasons I listed above

FUCK NO. 02-05 explorers are PURE SHIT

06-10 are slightly better

maine.craigslist.org/search/cto

t. If you can find something, tell me. I've been looking for a few days but really haven't found anything. I just talked with her and our budget is exactly $5000 for everything (so cost of plates, registration, and inspection) so I'm going to say no more than $5000. I can talk prices down if I need too.

Sure is poverty in here. Take two vehicles.

Sure let me take a look. I'll post a few that look promising to me:

maine.craigslist.org/cto/5683055870.html

maine.craigslist.org/cto/5698978710.html

maine.craigslist.org/cto/5706681377.html (this one probably needs the timing belt soon)

maine.craigslist.org/cto/5710923409.html

maine.craigslist.org/cto/5682512864.html

maine.craigslist.org/cto/5715104819.html

maine.craigslist.org/cto/5716934803.html

maine.craigslist.org/cto/5698708648.html
(at this price point you can afford to put a reman engine in if it fails)

maine.craigslist.org/cto/5693366742.html

maine.craigslist.org/cto/5714521069.html

Try a sequoia
maine.craigslist.org/ctd/5716670084.html

if she doesn't feel safe in any vehicle, don't let that bitch drive. fearful drivers are as good as drunk ones.

F O R E S T E R
O
R
E
S
T
E
R

>Tbh, crash test ratings aren't much of a bother. She doesn't feel safe in any vehicle, so it's a moot point honestly.

How you "feel" has precisely zero impact on the vehicle's performance in a crash.

Truck with topper. If she MUST have family, get an extended cab truck. Damn sight better and more useful than a SUV will ever be.

Given your budgetary constraints, you may want to look at an Escape over an Explorer, as the latter is going to be pretty shitty in that price range. 2nd gen is supposed to be pretty decent. First gen was also sold as Mazda Tribute and Mercury Mariner.

Agreed with LPG that Compass/Patriot are garbage, steer clear.

SEQUOIA
E
Q
U
O
I
A

10MPG
M
P
G

4runner
how is this even a question?

KEK
U
C
K

If she can handle 15mpg
Then she can't space for handle 6 passengers plus luggage

And I don't care if it has 300k in miles it will still outlast anything else posted yet with space for all that

If she can't handle*

And they still have word filters? S M D H F A M

AWD or 4WD is for weakling and degenerates.

They aren't safe for people outside them either.

Right.

I fucking hate this website.

OP, just let her parents buy her whatever they think is reasonable and safe since she is going to crash it anyway.

SUBURBAN or TAHOE

Pre-07 is cheap as fuck, reliable. 155k miles on my burb and all it needed was a water pump, fuel pump, and thousands of dollars in gas.

She's 19, lives with me and her parents can't afford to get her a car.

She's saved up $5k and needs a car for a job she's going to be going to soon.

I'm going to look into Pilots. Found a guy selling one near me for $4k.

This is destined for failure. Abort now.

Needing AWD for snow is a meme that needs to die. I drive RWD and my town averages just under 150" of snow a year. AWD just makes people think they can drive the same as they do in the summer with no problems.

>it's a "flatlanders think RWD is fine in the snow because they creep around some plowed and sanded roads in their Crown Vic" thread

Seriously
>I drive around town just fine in my RWD, we get 6gorillian feet of snow a year, it totally accumulates between scrapes every 10-20 minutes because I only drive the 3 main roads.
If you think AWD/4x4 is useless please explain why it's so prevalent. Most people would prefer to pay less for their car, so
skimping on this "useless" feature is an easy 4-8g off.

I'm sure OP's sister will be bouncing down unplowed country roads in her first car everyday.