There are people browsing right now that will defend this

There are people browsing right now that will defend this.

Other urls found in this thread:

chevydiy.com/suspension-guide-c2-corvette-restorations-photos-included/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Now I don't claim to be a rocket surgeon, but that looks fucking retarded. But if it puts down power and low times why not I guess.

Not the most well-engineered setup but it's cheap, simple and gives you all wheel independence.

>I don't know a single thing about chassis engineering but that looks bad for some reason!

Yeah I said I'm not a rocket surgeon. No need to reiterate.

We don't need to defend it. The Corvette's win records do that for us

What's wrong with this? It seems to adhere to the KISS principle.

>literally just a different type of spring.

What's wrong with a monoleaf?

Who gives a shit when it still laps cars out of its league while being significantly cheaper?
Lmao when you need awd and dct ...

I have this suspension on my car. It works pretty well, but if I had the money I would do coilovers or C5 suspension.

Great for corners

That said I've seen 500-1000hp vs-vf commodores with stock rear its and they do fine they just squat down more

Only thing I don't like about my vx1 is that the ass is too damn low

Holy fuck! Those half shafts! They just took a driveshaft and chopped it in two!

I don't see a problem other than the monoleaf

>germans will defend this

>"so planted and peppy, handles like it's on rails! just took the carpeting out, corners like a go-kart!"

See the C2/C3 Vette. The came from the factory with them.

it is bad
using the half shaft as a control arm is retard on a budget status

This is why old corvettes cant have stable rear toe to save their lives

THAT's why it looked so weird. I saw the leaf spring and thought 'well that's dumb', but something else felt off and I couldn't place it.. they're actually using it as a control arm. I'm honestly impressed that something like this made it to production.

It's not using a half shaft as a control arm.

Weird jaguar IRS clone with leaf springs. It's pretty nice.

But that isn't what's happening, it's located by the strut rod and a trailing arm. Good job trying to casually dismiss a design when you don't even know how it works.

>felt
>place it
>seems weird

Wanna explain how the halfshafts are being used as control arms? Or do you just believe whatever shit people funnel to you and validates your FEELS?

Y'know HB, I really really wanna dislike you for being both a Californian and a cyclefag, but then I remember you're one of the some five people who don't completely have their head up their ass.

the half shafts aren't plunging or splined or anything.
If they aren't active in controlling the rear camber they why are they solid? And why don't they produce bind?

It's literally like two shortened driveshafts with slip yokes into the differential, they do NONE of the locating, they're not solid, they're hollow and probably because GM didn't want to make new tooling for different halfshaft setups and they don't produce bind because where they WOULD produce bind is outside of the suspension's range of motion.

I know. Veeky Forums is full of car designers and engineers that act like they know more than the people that put pencil to paper in the 50s and 60s and designed/engineered these cars.

This. Same as the rear end of thirty years of Jaguars.

If it's so awesome they why doesn't gm use it anymore?

What keeps track width from changing when the suspension is loaded?

Nobody said it was awesome, just not the paint sniffing retardation that the know-nothings would have you believe.

Well shit. That's a bit excessive, but fantastic nonetheless.

I'll go on record and say that looks gay as shit.

>slip yokes into the differential
So they are using a leaf spring as the upper control arm and slip yokes move in and out of the differential? Dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard, and I browse Veeky Forums.

Nobody said the leaf spring was acting as the upper control arm.

google "side yoke end play"
the factory spec is no more that .020"

Maybe after 15 years of the same rear end and a complete heads to toe redesign of the Vette in '83, the engineers decided to go in a different direction. Once again go school, get on with a auto manufacturer, and start designing cars. Otherwise don't act like you come come up with better in the 50s and 60s when this was designed.

Or they needed more robust and developed suspension to accomplish their higher and higher performance goals.

It's possible to be right about things and also have your head up your ass.

>The Corvette’s fixed differential mounting allowed pivoting the axleshaft off it. The idea of using driveshaft-style compo- nents for axleshafts saved money. Universal joints with flanges were used to attach the axleshaft to the spindles and differential. Another engineering fact was that the fixed axleshaft length did not allow the use of the upper control arms. Binding would have occured as the fixed length axleshaft attempted to travel through the up and down motion.

chevydiy.com/suspension-guide-c2-corvette-restorations-photos-included/

You should stick to bicycles, faggot.

Really makes you think

I feel as though sticking to bicycles would be a lot less emotionally distressing for the fangirls.

This issue was rectified on later Spitfires. They still had transverse leaf springs.