Is being an Uber driver worth it? Any stories from Veeky Forums's Uber drivers?

Is being an Uber driver worth it? Any stories from Veeky Forums's Uber drivers?

Other urls found in this thread:

lyft.com/drive-for-lyft
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

uber driver from tacoland reporting in.

Yes it is worth it, but it depends on how you operate, when and where, since I live in the mother of shitholes called Mexico City I earn approx 532 dollars and that's working for about 1/3 of the entire goddamned day because I have to go to college and help my psychotic mother.

532 pesos or dollars, Pedro? If that's in dollars I might just consider it.

I said dollars, not tacos user.

Depending where you live it can be big bux. Los angeles is easily 25-35 an hour. Like mexibro said the times you work also matter, morning are good(hangovers) and nights of course. Common to hear drivers making 1200+ a week, though im sure they must work 8-12 hours a day

I live on the outskirts of St. Louis in an upper-middle class suburb, think there's any money to be made here?

lyft.com/drive-for-lyft
That caculator shows 20/hr, uber might be more since its more popular. I suggest taking uber rides and asking the drivers what they make if they dont mind, also ask how surge pricing is and when/where. The driver app has a map that highlights areas when they are busy, after your ride ask if they wouldnt mind showing the map to you.

How's Ubering in Canada? Anyone?

can i be an uber driver in reg cab pickup?

>chilango

DISGUSTING

what car?

nuevo leon here

in don't think so.

Uber is car racist. you need to have a 4 door car less than 3 years old or something like that. it's bullshit.

fuck you Uber suck a dick

2016 seat toledo, lo rento a 2500 pero como es temporada baja pago 2100. necesito 3 meses de comprobante de ingresos para que me aprueben el credito a un coche nuevo

>Tfw was gonna apply
>Tfw can't drive people around muh shitbox Miata because not new enough and not enough doors
W-whatever then! I heard it's a rip-off anyway!

If you factor in depreciation on your car from people vomiting on it and driving insane miles on it then no.

>Is being an Uber driver worth it?
Uber wants "new looking" cars. So you have to meet their qualifications. Look at their website first. If you have what they like, they will send more orders to you. If you don't, then they'll possibly send mr drug addict to you as a client. There have been some commentaries about Uber's methods and the software they provide along with how they control things in their best interest (not yours). Drivers are disposable toilet paper to them.

Anyone who's salty about not being able to do Uber since they have

>shit taste

you can do Postmates or Uber Delivery.

I know a guy who went from a normal taxi company, to Uber.

He bought a Chrysler 300 fully loaded on cash.

He moved to a big ass house.

I still hate him, because he's a living pakistani stereotype.

Take from that, what you will.

>I earn 532 dollars
>"Is that in pesos or dollars?"
typical stupid American

>t.assmad miata driver

>"I hate him because he makes more money than me and is not white"
log out Trevor

I'm actually a Paki, i just hate how most pakis i know are taxi drivers and the stereotype holds for me.

Also fuck off nigger, i just bought a brand new rogue on cash.

Im from bongistan...

Are you supposed to be proud of that?

t. 13 year old trying to fit in

Only story I have is a co-worker who got into an accident while doing it and got ass blasted hard by insurance

>was logged into app driving to pick up customer
>this puts him in the doughnut hole of insurance coverage
>he hadn't taken a commercial policy under his own insurance
>uber's insurance doesn't kick in until the passenger is in the car
>he gets into an accident that is %100 the other person's fault
>his insurance finds out he was doing Uber when the accident happened
>his policy gets cancelled, they refuse payout on claim, other person's liability insurance sues to get out of payment and wins
>he has to come out of pocket to repair the vehicle, which WOULD have been totalled under his insurance claim
>car now has frame damage and no resale value, and he has 3-4 years of payments left on it

You have to be on a really busy weekend and in a car that doesn't suffer much from depreciation to come out on top with Uber. Don't forget that Uber doesn't adequately insure your ass either and if you get fucked up on the job nothing - not worker's rights laws or God - will fix your shit.

>He bought car for 45 canucks cash
>I bought for 42 canucks cash
If you consider the other dude rich, i'd say i'm doing OK.

I wish i had an American car though.

I've known several people who've tried it for various lengths of time, none of them ever made enough for it to be worth it. They guy who got closest basically just camped the RDU airport on evenings/weekends

The only real way to make money off of Uber is through referral bonuses, which can rake in some nice walking money for you and your pals if you're willing to game it. Just have your friend roll in in his '07 Corolla, pass the inspection, and collect $500.

Sounds like he needs to get into the crime life.

Now you have to have completed 25 passenger pickups for the referral to complete and the other party to receive their money. Unless I'm confusing it with Lyft.

Ah, that's bullshit then. I had some pals who raked in some really solid money gaming that system a while ago. Uber is officially garbo for making money unless you're using it as a setup for kidnapping and ransom demands.

haha, it's just people buy into this idea now that you are completely covered insurance wise, and you aren't; there is a HUGE coverage gap unless you add a commercial/for-hire rider on your personal insurance policy, and even then, if you ever get into an accident that injured a passenger, you'll spend the next 2 years in civil litigation.

-If your insurance company ever finds out you are doing Uber/Lyft kiss your policy goodbye, and look forward to be handled as a high risk driver for the next 3-5 years

-If your car is financed and the bank finds out you use it for taxi service, look forward to a repo

>Drove San Francisco
>Drove BOTH Uber and Lyft (run both apps while waiting for rides, shut off one when you get a request on the other)
>8-12 hours a day
>6 days a week
>made about $1000-$1200 per week after gas

Ended up not being worth it, as I live about an hour and a half away from the city. 160 miles a day to-and-from the city, plus 150-200 miles of driving IN the city, plus the fact that I drove a manual volkswagen meant I went through two clutches, a set of tires, three alignments, and new front struts in the space of about four months.

If I lived IN or NEAR SF, and was driving some kind of commuter car that could take the hills and shitty roads of SF, it would have been some serious bank. The huge miles I had to drive to get there coupled with my vw being made of fucking glass and styrofoam meant I ended up spending so much in repairs that it really wasn't worth it over a regular job.

It really all depends on where you drive, when, and for how long. If you live in or very close to a major metropolitan area, and your car is reliable, it's pretty damn good money. If you live in a flyover state and/or drive something fragile, it might not be.

>If your car is financed and the bank finds out you use it for taxi service, look forward to a repo
I literally told my bank exactly that and they didn't give a single fuck
>Ask if me doing Uber or Lyft will be a problem
>They say the only issue is if I want to use the car for a taxi service, since Uber and Lyft are not taxi services they don't care

All I can say is, at our dealership, 4 different lenders have a complete page in the loan paperwork the customer has to sign stating they will not use the car for ride sharing like Lyft/Uber or for a taxi service, and if the bank ever finds out that they are using it for such things, they will repo it

I was offered coke twice during my stint as a Lyft driver.

My Lyft driver that picked me up from the airport gave me a free 2 gram bag of weed he didn't want. Really good indica at that.

Was he in CA? We passed some legislation here so that Uber/Lyft has to cover while the app is on. Varies state by state it seems.

Have you looked at the leasing program OP?
Might do it next summer if I can't land a job immediately after graduation. Would go through the leasing program because, while expensive, it would negate the high mileage concerns and oil changes. Unlimited mileage and return anytime after initial 30 days and two weeks notice.
I live around LA so the situation's good for me.