Never drove on a freeway/highway, and I won't anytime soon until I'm confident enough. The question is...

Never drove on a freeway/highway, and I won't anytime soon until I'm confident enough. The question is, has anyone here gotten over the fear of driving on the freeway? If so, how?

Just do it.

Yes.
I just went ahead and did it. Turns out, it's not an issue because there's no oncoming traffic and no sharp bends.

Have you tried not being a little pussy? Your 'anxiety disorder' is most likely you being too beta to do things.

go back to /r9k/

I did that shit the day I got my drivers PERMIT

Its actually easier than driving in the city during rush hour.

My dad tricked me into getting onto the highway because he knew I was nervous about it. It turned out to be smooth and pleasurable. Stop being a puss, OP. 65 MPH is not too fast for your brain to keep up with, not even close. All the accidents ive ever been in happened on city streets.

the only unnerving thing is merging but just dont be stupid and you wont have any issues, most people dont ride the right lane

as for the rest its pretty easy just leave yourself space when possible and doublecheck when changing lanes

just go ahead and do it youll realize its not as bad as youre worried it is, its probably one of the easier parts of driving

I did it to meet with a girl, I was a virgin and had driven on the freeway once before but was still scared. I got my first blowjob that day

Just wait until you're driving through some mountains on the interstate and it's pouring down rain and you're in your civic and the can feel the the water on the road tugging at the steering wheel, slowing you down. Or hitting a puddle at 60mph at night and feeling the car hydroplane. Shits cash.

there are female drivers on the roads everywhere in the world except in some (one?) of the gulf states.

if a girl can do it... u can do it user.

I was 18 and hadn't really traveled anything more then interstates. Me and some friends went to the nopi nationals in atlanta and I had 8 lanes to choose from. It was super sweet until we had to cut over from the leftmost lane and get off the exit. The guy traveling behind me in the convoy ran into the back of my vehicle and totaled them both.

Only ever drove on 2 lane highways, get to california and drive on 6 lane highway with an expired license and no insurance.

But user, driving on the freeway is way easier than driving on city streets. Everyone's moving at the same-ish speeds, and going in the same direction.

What part of it scares you?

I drove from KC to LA when I was 14, how old are you?

>The question is, has anyone here gotten over the fear of driving on the freeway? If so, how?

Well they force you to do it in driver's ed, so....

When you first get on the highway, and I'm talking right off of the ramp, it's acceptable for drivers to maintain low speeds (45 to 50) mph for a few miles until you feel more comfortable. Other drivers will recognize your inexperience and will be extremely friendly. Some will even wave or wink at you as they pass.

Which third world country do you com from that doesn't require you to drive on the highway during your licence test?

You can only overcome fear by experience because fear is simply worrying about the unknown future.

So go drive on the highway you pussy. It's fast but in a straight line. You'll be fine.

Just do it and don't be a bitch about merging. Correct me if im wrong but I'm pretty sure it's significantly safer than side streets. There are way less points of incidence.

Its easier to do highway traffic than city traffic
stop being a pussy because you have to go fast
embrace fast and make sanic proud

Then you get killed by an 80,000 pound semi who can't slow down fast enough not to flatten your bitch ass.

Highway/Interstate/Freeway driving is actually statistically safer than city driving. The concept behind that logic is this:

Rarely, if ever do you have to cross oncoming traffic, for one. Most maneuvers are done at a constant speed, and via lane-change, which only requires that you literally move side-to-side.

Most highway accidents can be easily avoided.

And in all reality, the only way to get over the fear is TO DO IT.

JUST. DO IT.

I was like this until a couple of weeks ago. Merging is the scariest part, but you'll get over it with practice. If you're really nervous, bring a passenger who can help look behind you when merging/changing lanes until you're more comfortable.

that looks like somewhere in southern california

Drive on the highway.

> it's acceptable for drivers to maintain low speeds (45 to 50) mph for a few miles until you feel more comfortable.

No it certainly fucking isn't. Legally you have to match the speed of everybody else before you merge in.

I've literally seen cars get plowed into merging onto the highway going 45. This is terrible advice. You have to match the speed others are going for an ez time

Holy fuck your dense. Yes you merge when safe to do so but there is no officer that's going to give you a ticket for doing 45 in a 60. Unsafe lane change, sure. There is no legally you have to match the speed of others before you merge, I guess big rig drivers lose their licenses daily? Thanks for the informative post Officer Dickbag

my girlfriend was but for stupid reasons like she was afraid of getting rock chips in windshields etc. im on the highway almost every weekend and take trips to the US every so often, enough trips with me and shes better

i used to do a buck 80 on the highways here in my younger days before photo radar became big, i was too comfortable on the highway lol

lol to get my class 5 here in Canada it was 10 minutes of driving and we went on a highway for literally 30 seconds in the 70km/h zone

yeah, no. if youre not comfortable, stay off the highway. cops here need to start fucking ticketing people going 70 in a 110 because long weekends im sick of some Paki going 40 under on the highway in the left lane in a Corolla

Driving on the highway is literally the simplest driving, mostly straight line, no stops, constant speed...

Only part that might be even the slightest part tricky is merging, but just floor it and find a gap.

Big rigs usually don't have any trouble matching the speed of the traffic. It's that fucker in a civic with the "new driver" sign that causes all the problems and makes it dangerous for everybody else. There is no "stay here while you get comfortable" lane on highways.

In britain, it's illegal for learners to be ON a motorway.

They should teach it, though. So many people are so fucking bad at it that I keep nearly hitting/being hit by them, and they cause jams.

i went on dual carriageways as a learner so i had some experience before my test. i went on one during the test itself as it happens

Dual carriageway is not a motorway fucking faggot.

>Dad tells me to drive him to the airport
>It's my first time but ok
>Driving back home is my first time driving unsupervised
>Dad never came back

I hope yours works out better user

Driving highway is fun nigger, lot less cops in my experience.

Although jammed from Pearson to Kennedy.

Anyway, highway is actually easier than roads, no stops, no turns, better maintained roads too. As long as you understand how your and others vehicles handles as speed increases, you will be fine.

In other words, you can no longer snap the wheel quickly to cut in front of that explorer at 100 km/h and not get killed like you could at 60. You can no longer expect that semi truck to slow down quickly enough to not squish your ass. You can no longer go from moving to not moving as quickly.

If you are already a safe driver, you will continue to be so. Highway ain't nuttin.